• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ξ Barclays Premier League Season 2015-16 Ξ

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

I had to rotate squad - Pellegrini

2 May 2016

1063667header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists he had no choice but to "risk" playing a weakened team ahead of their Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid.

The Chilean opted to rotate his squad on Sunday and City were punished, suffering a 4-2 loss to Southampton to hurt their chances of a top-four finish.

Pellegrini's men are four points clear of fifth-placed city rivals Manchester United, who have a game in hand late in the Premier League season.

Despite the loss, Pellegrini said it was a decision he had to make ahead of the trip to Madrid for Wednesday's second leg.

"I'd do exactly the same thing again because we have an important game on Wednesday when we play the semi-final of the Champions League," he said.

"We continue [fighting] depending on what we do in the next two games [to see] if we are going to be in the top four.

"So I think it was a risk, but a risk we were forced to take."

City are in a decent spot heading to Spain, having held the La Liga giants to a 0-0 draw in the first leg.

Pellegrini said he would assess the fitness of star duo Kevin De Bruyne and Yaya Toure on Monday.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

FIFA extends Sakho ban worldwide

2 May 2016

1063958header.jpg

Mamadou Sakho's UEFA suspension for an anti-doping violation has been extended to include matches around the world by FIFA.

The defender, 26, was provisionally suspended for 30 days by UEFA last Thursday after failing a drugs test - reportedly due to a fat-burning substance - following Liverpool's Europa League clash with Manchester United last month.

Sakho did not request that his B sample be tested and instead plans to plead mitigation in an effort to avoid a lengthy ban, with a slim chance he could return in time to be included in France's Euro 2016 squad.

FIFA's statement read: "The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to extend the sanction imposed on 28 April 2016 by the chairman of the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body of UEFA on the French player Mamadou Sakho for an anti-doping rule violation to have worldwide effect in accordance with article 136 ff. of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.

"As a consequence, Mr Sakho is provisionally suspended worldwide for 30 days as of 28 April 2016 in accordance with the terms of the decision passed by the chairman of the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body of UEFA.

"This suspension covers all types of matches, including domestic, international, friendly and official fixtures.

"The decision of the chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee was notified today to The Football Association, the French Football Association and UEFA."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho congratulates Ranieri for winning ´my title´ with Leicester

3 May 2016

1064398header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has congratulated Claudio Ranieri and Leicester City on their Premier League triumph.

The former Chelsea boss watched his old side come from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Tottenham on Monday, a result which guaranteed that the title will go to the King Power Stadium.

Mourinho, who lifted the trophy with Chelsea last season before departing the club in December after a dismal run of form, described it as a "magic moment" in the career of his counterpart Ranieri.

He told CAA Sports: "I want to congratulate everyone connected to Leicester; players, staff, owners and fans.

"I lost my title to Claudio Ranieri and it is with incredible emotion that I live this magic moment in his career."

Mourinho scoffed at Ranieri's success rate earlier in his career, claiming the Italian - the man he replaced at Chelsea in 2004 - was "considered a loser" at Stamford Bridge.

The former Real Madrid and Inter head coach continues to be linked with a return to the Premier League ahead of next season, with Manchester United reportedly considering his appointment.

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bournemouth hit with £7.6m FFP fine

3109952_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
May 3, 2016 20:45:00

Last season's Championship winners posted a financial loss of £38.3 million and had a wage bill just under double their overall turnover

Bournemouth have been fined £7.6 million for breaching Financial Fair Play rules last season.

The club earned promotion to the Premier League last season but incurred the penalty after making a £38.3m loss in their Championship-winning campaign.

Bournemouth’s turnover totalled just £12.9m but the club’s wage bill was £30.4m.

Clubs in the Football League are allowed a maximum of maximum losses of £6m for a single season.

Since their promotion to the Premier League Eddie Howe has guided Bournemouth to 15th in the table, while the club are guaranteed to be in the top flight next season for a share of the £5 billion television deal.

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ranieri: We want to improve

3 May 2016

1064276header.jpg

Claudio Ranieri arrived at work on Tuesday as the manager of the Premier League champions - and immediately outlined his desire to make Leicester City even better.

Not 12 hours had elapsed since his side's remarkable achievement was confirmed by Tottenham's failure to win at Chelsea and the Italian was already looking to the future.

The 64-year-old told reporters: "I am very happy for the fans, for the chairman, for everybody, the Leicester community.

"I don't know the secret, I think [it was] the players, the heart, the soul, how they played... "

Asked to give a message to the Leicester fans, he added: "Keep going, we want to improve a lot."

Ranieri was in Italy on Monday to have lunch with his 96-year-old mother and had yet to speak to his triumphant players, who gathered at striker Jamie Vardy's house to watch the Chelsea-Spurs match.

"I arrived back at 7pm and watched the match at 8pm," he said.

"I am waiting for them [the players] and we will enjoy it together.

"I am very happy now because if I won this title at the start of my career I would have forgot it. Now I am a very, very old man and feel much better.

"The emotion is at a maximum level."

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ranieri: Rich teams will win for next 10 to 20 years

4 May 2016

1064809header.jpg

Claudio Ranieri expects the Premier League's richest clubs to return to dominance and win the title for the next 10 to 20 years.

Pre-season relegation candidates Leicester City were crowned champions with two games to spare on Monday, when Tottenham's 2-2 draw at Chelsea meant they could no longer catch the Foxes at the top.

Ranieri has hailed his players' achievement but anticipates their success being a one-off, with past trends representing his best estimate at what will happen in the future.

"Big money makes big teams and usually big teams win," the 64-year-old is quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

"Now we can say only 99 per cent of the time. Next season will be the same and for the next 10 or 20 years, it will be the same.

"How many years after Nottingham Forest [in 1977-78] and Blackburn [in 1994-95] have another team won?

"The richest, or the team who can pick up the best players to make a team, will win."

Ranieri feels it may be not be until more time has passed that the scale of Leicester's shock achievement is truly appreciated.

"Maybe now is too early to think what we have done," added the Leicester boss.

"Maybe in one or two years it will be easier to understand, but now it is important to stay high in the world."

Champions Leicester will receive the Premier League trophy following their game at home to Everton on Saturday.

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini wants Premier League stay

6 May 2016

1066427header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is keen to continue his career in the Premier League once his spell at the Etihad side comes to an end.

Pellegrini will make way for Pep Guardiola at the end of the 2015-16 campaign after three years in charge of City.

The Chilean has been heavily linked with AC Milan, but he would prefer a job at another Premier League side as he feels it is the best league in the world.

"I will look at my options when the season is finished. I just want to finish this season in the best way possible for now. I don't know what will happen, but I would be happy to stay in the Premier League," Pellegrini said at a news conference ahead of Sunday's clash against third-placed Arsenal.

"For me this is the best league in the world, for a lot of reasons. It's very competitive because you have a lot of teams with the same potential as the other teams. All the teams have the money to bring in good players, so all the 20 teams have a lot of good players.

"Maybe it's not the best football because once again Spain has demonstrated it has three of four teams playing in both finals in Europe. But it's the best league so to continue in the Premier League would be a really important option if I have a project that I think we can be a competitive team."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dembele banned for six matches

6 May 2016

1066204header.jpg

Mousa Dembele has been handed a six-game ban by the Football Association (FA) after the Tottenham midfielder admitted a charge of violent conduct relating to his altercation with Diego Costa in Monday's 2-2 draw at Chelsea.

The Belgium international, 28, appeared to gouge the forward's eye in an incident that was missed by officials during an ill-tempered match at Stamford Bridge that ultimately ended Spurs' Premier League title hopes.

Though Dembele did not contest the charge, he disagreed with the FA's stance that his actions were worthy of a lengthier suspension than the standard three-match punishment.

However, an Independent Regulatory Commission upheld the FA's claim and the governing body made its ruling on Friday.

Spurs had nine players booked and there were ugly scenes after the final whistle as the teams made their way down the tunnel.

The visitors had to win to keep alive their top-flight title dream, but threw away a two-goal lead to hand Leicester City the crown.

Dembele will now miss the final two games of this season against Southampton and Newcastle United and the first four matches of the new campaign.

It had been reported that Spurs would seek to challenge any ban longer than three games.

At his Friday media conference, boss Mauricio Pochettino conceded his players had "maybe crossed the line" against Chelsea.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tottenham no soft touch now, says Pochettino

6 May 2016

1066083header.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino believes Tottenham have shaken off their reputation as a soft touch, but acknowledged his players overstepped the mark in the fractious draw at Chelsea.

Monday's encounter at Stamford Bridge was packed with incident as a 2-2 draw ended Spurs' Premier League title hopes.

The visitors had nine men booked and on Friday Mousa Dembele accepted a Football Association violent conduct charge, which looks set to land the Belgium midfielder a lengthy ban.

But boss Pochettino put a different spin on his players' overtly aggressive approach.

"I have heard in the last two years that people have written that Tottenham were always soft, something like that, but now we start to show character," he said ahead of Sunday's visit of Southampton.

"This season we have shown we are not a nice team to play. Not anymore. We show passion, maybe too much passion, but we need to take this in a positive way.

"This season we created very good energy between fans, staff, players, and we need to manage better to try to win the title.

"Maybe we crossed the line [on Monday]. I am not stupid. I can recognise that. If you want to win titles and keep your position for a long time, in the future you need to show passion.

"I can understand my players, I can understand my staff. We have shown enough character and quality to be contenders for the Premier League."

Moyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shearer: Newcastle's Benitez appointment made too late

rafabenitez-cropped_xdk0lkwsf0ya14c95ajwbacib.jpg

By Matthew Scott
May 9, 2016 14:03:46

The Premier League's record goalscorer does not expect the Spanish coach to be on Tyneside next season if the Toon Army drop into the second tier

Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer says the club's hierarchy acted too late in hiring Rafael Benitez, as Premier League relegation looms.

A desperate 0-0 draw at Aston Villa on Saturday, paired with Sunderland's thrilling 3-2 victory against Chelsea, leaves Newcastle needing to beat Tottenham on the final day and hope Sunderland slip up twice, but the Black Cats can relegate their fierce rivals by beating Everton on Wednesday.

Benitez was hired in mid-March after an insipid spell under Steve McClaren and has picked up 10 points from 27 available.

Shearer drew parallels with his own eight-game reign at the club, which ended in relegation in 2009, and says the responsibility lies solely with Mike Ashley and Newcastle's board of directors.

"It looks highly unlikely that Newcastle will survive now," Shearer wrote in The Sun. "And the club will only have themselves to blame.

"For they have made exactly the same mistake as seven years ago by not giving the new man enough time.

"In 2009, I was made manager with just eight games to go. I knew straight away it was not long enough. If I had another four or five matches, I believe we would have escaped.

"This time around, Rafa Benitez was only given ten matches to save Newcastle.

"And if he had also been appointed sooner, I am certain the club would not be in the position they are in now. It is too little, too late. Again."

Shearer continued: "It took Rafa four of his 10 games to work his team out.

"And if it takes a world-class manager like him that long, surely that proves they had to bring someone in earlier. So, if they are relegated, you can't attach any blame to Rafa.

"But the saddest thing now is that the club will probably lose him.

"I will be absolutely amazed if the former manager of Real Madrid, the former manager of Liverpool who won the Champions League, were to be at Newcastle in the Championship and managing at places like Rotherham.

"I hope I am wrong. I would love him to stay."

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool v Chelsea: Big-game focus for Klopp and Hiddink

9 May 2016

1067898header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp hopes Liverpool can continue to build a big-game culture at Anfield when Chelsea visit in the Premier League on Wednesday.

The Reds are eighth, but still harbour hopes of European qualification via the league and will go above sixth-placed Southampton with a victory over the Blues.

Liverpool are unbeaten in 12 home games under Klopp, a run that has featured dominant wins over Manchester City, Manchester United and Everton, as well as their enthralling Europa League successes against Borussia Dortmund and Villarreal.

A Europa League final meeting with Sevilla has dominated discussion on Merseyside and Klopp is keen to build his players' mental toughness, starting with a game against the deposed champions.

"It's how it is when you are at home, really strong and don't give points away," Klopp said after Sunday's 2-0 win at home to Watford.

"I want to be, in the future, really consistent in all the games. For this we need a little bit of time.

"When I came here, we had a little problem at home, it was not too easy to win. We know Anfield is a special place."

Handling the occasion is also at the forefront of Guus Hiddink's thoughts after Chelsea threw away a pair of one-goal leads to lose 3-2 at Sunderland on Saturday.

"For them I think the crowd felt like the 12th man," said Hiddink.

"It was not hostile, just a very enthusiastic atmosphere, but my players are experienced in that.

"We should have coped.

"Sunderland felt the energy of the crowd but it's worse that we let them stay in it by not killing the game off. It made them a little more energetic in the second half."

Hiddink will have to make do without captain John Terry at Anfield due to a suspension that seems likely to end the Chelsea skipper's Stamford Bridge career.

Terry's second dismissal of the season, for two late bookings at the Stadium of Light, rules him out for the rest of the season, before his contract expires.

Branislav Ivanovic is likely to come into the centre of defence, although American youngster Matt Miazga is another option if Hiddink opts for an experimental approach, with little on the line for his side.

Klopp made eight changes for the Watford win, having beaten Villarreal 3-0 three days previously, but was quick to hail his back-up players, with Joe Allen attracting particular praise.

The German beamed: "I said it would be cool if we could play 'Joe Allen football' – brilliant technique, hard-working, very lively, very energetic.

"He is a great player. In good teams with more good players than you need, you have situations like this [rotation]. But he takes the situation brilliantly, he is a wonderful boy and professional football player."

Allen could be given the chance to put his stamp on the team once again, although more alterations could in order with no new fitness concerns for Klopp to contend with.

Key Opta stats:

- Liverpool have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last nine Premier League games against Chelsea and conceded two goals in each of the last three meetings at Anfield.

- Chelsea have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 Premier League games against Liverpool.

- If Liverpool win it will be the 27th home win in this fixture in the Premier League (currently 13 each) – no Premier League fixture has had more (Liverpool v Newcastle also 27).

- Chelsea have conceded 50+ goals in a Premier League season (51) for the first time since 1996/97 when they conceded a joint club-record 55 in the competition (also in 1994/95).

- Liverpool have scored in each of their last 12 Premier League games, their best scoring run in the top-flight since April 2014 (25).

- Diego Costa has been involved in 14 goals in his last 14 Premier League games for Chelsea (nine goals, five assists).

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Norwich City v Watford: Neil desperate to limit mistakes

9 May 2016

1067955header.jpg

Alex Neil says Norwich City cannot afford to make any mistakes when they take on Watford on Wednesday as the strugglers continue their battle for Premier League survival.

Norwich sit four points behind Sunderland with two games to go and they desperately need to beat Watford, while also relying on Sam Allardyce's men dropping points against Everton, to take their fight against relegation to the final day of the season on Sunday.

Neil acknowledged the Canaries have made too many errors compared to their rivals and has urged his team to improve, with no margin for error remaining.

"To be a team at this level and compete, you're going to have to limit mistakes across a season," Neil told the official Norwich website.

"Not only that, you're going to have to create more chances and score when those opportunities arise.

"There are teams in and about us who manage to do that better than us, and that's why we're in the situation we're in.

"I think we've made it really tough for ourselves regardless. If you continue to make bad decisions, then it's not going to be enough."

Norwich will be without the injured Jonny Howson (knee), while Andre Wisdom (knee), Timm Klose (knee) and Alexander Tettey (ankle) are all unavailable due to injury, too.

Watford, meanwhile, have been struggling to replicate their impressive form of the first half of the season, but are already guaranteed another year of top-flight football.

They were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool on Sunday after narrowly defeating relegated Aston Villa 3-2 the week before and Ikechi Anya is keen to end the season on a high in their last two games.

"I feel like we're just missing that clinical edge that we had at the start of the season," Anya told the Watford website.

"As long as you're making chances, I think that's a good sign.

"We can still get 50 points. Historically for promoted teams it's just about staying up and we've maintained our status, so we're now trying to finish as good as we can."

Watford will be without Valon Behrami due to a rib injury, while a knee problem keeps Etienne Capoue out of action.

Key Opta facts:

- Norwich City managed just one shot on target in their 2-0 defeat to Watford back in December.

- Watford have won four of their last six league visits to Carrow Road.

- Norwich City have won just one of their last eight Premier League matches at Carrow Road.

- A league-low eight different players have scored for Watford in the Premier League this season.

- Watford hitman Odion Ighalo has failed to score in his last 12 top-flight appearances after bagging 14 in 23 before that.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunderland v Everton: Allardyce expects fired-up visitors for crucial clash

9 May 2016

1067953header.jpg

Sam Allardyce expects Everton to produce a strong reaction when they travel to play his Sunderland side in the Premier League on Wednesday.

Sunderland's entertaining 3-2 victory over Chelsea on Saturday, combined with Newcastle United's draw at Aston Villa and Norwich City's loss to Manchester United, has put them on the brink of safety.

The Black Cats are one point clear of Newcastle having played a game fewer than their north-east rivals, while Norwich are four points behind and, like Allardyce's men, have two games left to play.

A victory over Everton would therefore seal survival for Sunderland, who have only lost one of their last nine top-flight fixtures.

It could be a perfect time to play Everton after their miserable 3-1 defeat at champions Leicester City last time out left them 12th in the standings with only one win from nine games.

However, Allardyce is not taking anything for granted and will know Sunderland have won only once in their last 10 home league meetings with Everton, who also beat them 6-2 in November's reverse fixture at Goodison Park.

"Everton have been criticised and I think there will be a reaction from Roberto Martinez and the players," Allardyce said at his pre-match media conference.

"There will be an instinctive response from Everton so it is by no means a foregone conclusion and I hope people don't think that because it will be anything but. They will try their best to spoil our evening.

"If we can secure another victory we are safe in the Premier League with one game to go, so it is obviously crucial for us to give as good a performance as we did against Chelsea.

"Everybody has been relaxed and enjoyed their day off, but now we have to focus on Wednesday's big game against Everton. We want to provide another outstanding performance."

Martinez's job is reportedly under threat at Everton with supporters turning against him and he is desperate to see a turnaround before the end of the season.

"There is a lot riding on the game for us after the performance we had at Leicester," the Spaniard said.

"We need to react and we need to perform in the highest possible level. I expect to have a performance on Wednesday.

"It is good that we have a game around the corner but the importance of our performance is as big as you could feel we had in any other day in the season."

Martinez needs top scorer Romelu Lukaku to find his shooting boots again. The striker has not scored in his last seven Premier League appearances, his longest drought since January 2015 when he went eight without a goal.

Lamine Kone (thigh) is fit for Sunderland, meaning Billy Jones (hip) is their only absence.

Everton are expected to be without Gerard Deulofeu (knee) and Phil Jagielka (hamstring), while they will check on Gareth Barry (groin) and Seamus Coleman (hamstring) ahead of kick-off.

Key Opta stats:

- Sunderland have netted just six goals in their last 10 Premier League home matches against Everton

- Jermain Defoe only scored three goals in 17 Premier League games against Everton before joining Sunderland, but has scored in both games for the Black Cats against the Toffees.

- Two of the five occasions Everton have scored 6+ goals in a Premier League game have come against Sunderland (7-1 in November 2007 and 6-2 in November 2015).

- With 143 goals in total in the Premier League, Defoe is just one away from joining Robin Van Persie (144) as the joint 10th highest scorer in the competition.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp retracts Basle invitation to ticketless Liverpool fans

8 May 2016

1067492header.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has retracted his invitation to Liverpool fans to travel to the Europa League final in Basle even if they do not have tickets.

After his side booked a showpiece meeting against Sevilla by beating Villarreal at Anfield on Thursday, Klopp urged Liverpool supporters to travel to Basle.

But following Liverpool's 2-0 Premier League win at home against Watford on Sunday - Joe Allen and Roberto Firmino with the goals - Klopp took back his previous statement in an impassioned plea at the start of his press conference.

"Last time I spoke about Basle, I spoke like a supporter. I invited all Liverpool fans to Basle - that was not too smart to be honest," the German said.

"Basle is a nice city but it is not ready for us - it was my mistake. I have to take back the invitation.

"Please only people with tickets go there, because everything else would be chaos and we don't want this. We have to concentrate on football.

"If you cannot be there, stay at home or come to Liverpool, watch the game with your friends and let's have a party afterwards.

"So that's really, really, really necessary now that you listen. Most of the time you can ignore what I say, but now it's really important.

"We have to send just the team plus 10,000. The rest, all over the world, can enjoy the game with best friends and family."

Liverpool have also released a statement urging fans without tickets for the game not to travel to Basle.

The club said: "Liverpool has fans all over the world and the club wants to make them aware that the surrounding infrastructure in Basle is only set up for match attendees. Transport will be restricted and all local accommodation is sold out."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton sack Martinez

12 May 2016

1069679header.jpg

Everton have sacked manager Roberto Martinez following a poor end to the Premier League season, the club have confirmed.

Martinez took over from David Moyes at Goodison Park ahead of the 2013-14 season, leading Everton to a fifth-place finish and their best Premier League points haul in his maiden campaign.

However, Everton slipped to 11th last term and the pressure has been steadily mounting on the former Wigan Athletic boss following a poor run of form in the top flight.

The Toffees have won just once in their past 10 Premier League matches, with the Goodison Park faithful vocal in their disapproval at recent games, while a protest was reportedly planned for the club's end of season awards on Thursday, which the club have now decided to postpone.

Everton have particularly struggled at home this campaign with the club winning only five league matches on their own turf - their worst return in Premier League history.

Runs to the FA and League Cup semi-finals were not enough to save Martinez, who had spoken recently about his confidence of turning around Everton's ailing fortunes.

However, a dismal showing in Wednesday's 3-0 defeat at Sunderland proved the final nail in his coffin with Everton choosing to wield the axe before Sunday's final match of the season against Norwich City.

A statement on Everton's official website read: "The chairman and the board of directors would like to place on record their thanks for the dedication and commitment Roberto has shown during his three seasons with the club.

"Roberto has been a great ambassador for the club, conducting himself, at all times, with the utmost integrity and dignity. He secured the club its highest ever Premier League points total, a place in the last 16 of the Europa League and appearances in both domestic cup semi-finals.

"He has also played a key role in the development of several young players, managing their progression to the Everton first team and international honours.

"Following the departure of Roberto Martinez, the club's end of season awards, due to be held at St George's Hall tonight, has been postponed.

"Roberto has show great commitment and dignity throughout his time at Everton and the club feels it should reciprocate by rescheduling the event. The club hopes that those due to attend would agree that the planned celebration would be inappropriate in the circumstances."

Lallana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton legends Royle and Unsworth to oversee final game of the season

12 May 2016

1069806header.jpg

Everton have confirmed that former players David Unsworth and Joe Royle will take over the managerial duties for the final game of the season following the departure of Roberto Martinez.

The Spaniard, who took the helm at Goodison Park in June 2013, was relieved of his duties on Thursday following another disappointing season for the Merseysiders after they were beaten 3-0 by Sunderland on Wednesday.

Frank de Boer has been installed as the bookmaker's favourite to take the job after the Dutchman left his managerial post at Ajax.

Wednesday's result confirmed the relegation of both Newcastle United and Norwich City, with Alex Neil’s men the opponents for Everton in the final round of Premier League fixtures.

And Everton have now revealed that Unsworth, who has managed the Under-21s over the last two campaigns, and former player and manager Royle will take charge for Sunday's fixture.

Former Everton schoolboy Unsworth made 350 first-team appearances over two spells at the club, and was a key figure in the side that last claimed silverware with an FA Cup triumph in 1995 – managed by Royle, who made over 270 appearances as a player between 1966 and 1974.

Everton, who sit in 12th place, head into the Norwich clash on the back of claiming just one win from their last 10 Premier League fixtures.

Jurgen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid edge Barcelona as world´s most valuable team, Arsenal climb into top five

12 May 2016

1069457header.jpg

Real Madrid have edged Barcelona to be ranked as world football's most valuable team for a fourth consecutive year, while Arsenal have climbed into the top five.

Business publication Forbes have released their 13th annual list, with Champions League finalists Madrid now judged to be worth $3.65 billion, an increase on their $3.26bn from last year's list.

Barcelona are not far behind, with their value $3.56bn, while Premier League side Manchester United remain third on $3.32bn.

German champions Bayern Munich stay fourth with their worth now up to £2.68bn, while Arsenal have jumped from seventh to fifth after their value surged from $1.31bn up to $2.02bn over the last year.

Manchester City ($1.92bn) drop to sixth, while Chelsea ($1.66bn) slip to seventh due to the Gunners' rise and Liverpool ($1.55bn) stay eighth.

Serie A winners Juventus are ninth on $1.3bn, while Tottenham ($1.02bn) replace AC Milan ($825m) – who drop to 12th – as the sixth English club inside the top 10.

Borussia Dortmund ($836m) are 11th and French champions Paris Saint-Germain ($814m) have dropped a place to 13th. Schalke stay 14th on $655m, while Atletico Madrid ($633m) are in 15th position.

Recently relegated Newcastle United ($383m) make the top 20 as they sit below Inter ($559m), West Ham ($542m), Roma ($508m) and Napoli ($396m).

Real Madrid's standing as football's most valuable team places them second in the sporting world, with only NFL team the Dallas Cowboys ($4bn) rated higher.

Forbes' 20 most valuable teams in world football:

1. Real Madrid $3.65bn
2. Barcelona $3.56bn
3. Manchester United $3.32bn
4. Bayern Munich $2.68bn
5. Arsenal $2.02bn
6. Manchester City $1.92bn
7. Chelsea $1.66bn
8. Liverpool $1.55bn
9. Juventus $1.3bn
10. Tottenham $1.02bn
11. Borussia Dortmund $836m
12. AC Milan $825m
13. Paris Saint-Germain $814m
14. Schalke $655m
15. Atletico Madrid $633m
16. Inter $559m
17. West Ham $542m
18. Roma $508m
19. Napoli $396m
20. Newcastle $383m

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp warns Liverpool players to prepare for gruelling pre-season

12 May 2016

1069902header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp has warned his Liverpool players they best be prepared for one of the most demanding pre-seasons of their footballing career.

Liverpool have two games left in the season, a final-day Premier League clash against West Brom before the Europa League decider against Sevilla in Basle.

However, a large majority of the Liverpool squad will go straight into camp with their respective national teams, with Euro 2016 and Copa America tournaments to come in June.

The extended season means many players will not have more than two weeks holiday before re-joining Klopp at Melwood for the start of pre-season.

And the German manager warned his players they cannot be expecting a typical end-of-season vacation.

"The problem with pre-season is that the first three weeks we have 15 players who will have been away at the Euros and we also have to see how the squad is changing," Klopp said.

"On another planet we would have six weeks together because in this league it is the only time that you can train. In all of the [pre-season] games we will play out full training.

"So if we play our best in pre-season then I've done something completely wrong. It's another session, it's not about beating our opponents. I don't care about how big the opponent.

"We have to do a lot to create a base for one year. We have a special plan of what we want to do with the boys. They cannot go home now when they are off.

"Nearly all of them have national team games now but you cannot have six weeks off."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man United fans group together to help visitor after Sunday's bomb scare

oldtrafford-cropped_sw8gylcg9gnu144hj75jwd4v1.jpg

May 15, 2016 23:54:00

Members of the Manchester United Supporters Trust plan to pay for a guest from Sierra Leone to stay longer in the UK and take in the FA Cup final

Sunday's bizarre events at Old Trafford may have eventually resembled a comedy of errors, but the debacle also featured a more heart-warming side thanks to the solidarity of Manchester United fans.

The decision to abandon the Red Devils' clash when a suspicious device - later confirmed to be a 'dummy' bomb left by a security company - left thousands of supporters disappointed.

Perhaps none more so than 'Moses', who had been invited from Sierra Leone by the Manchester United Supporters' Trust to take in the game against Bournemouth.

But there is a happy ending, as MUST offered to change their guest's return ticket to the west African nation and send him to the FA Cup final for good measure.

co6q7xh.jpg

"We were at the MUST House having a few drinks before the game when news came out there was a suspect package and the game would be delayed until 3.45pm," the Trust's vice chair Ian Stirling explained.

"That was unusual but no real concern, but then when we heard the game was abandoned we had to tell Moses and the poor lad was distraught - being so close to the ground and not being able to go in, not knowing when he might get this chance again.

"We had a quick discussion between us and we've agreed to rearrange his flight - so he'll fly home next week instead of tomorrow - and sort him out with a ticket for the FA Cup final. A couple of friends will put him up in Manchester as well.

"He's still distraught at not getting into Old Trafford - that was his dream - but we're trying to do the right thing for a friend."