• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Important

I have since checked, the latest available ICA passport application/renewal form. There is indeed a declaration that must be made on whether one is in possession of a foreign citizenship.

Can I ask if it is a fact that previously there was a clause stating the highlighted?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is very little disucssion on the US and I am sure people are keen to learn about what is going on out there.

USA? There are no green shoots. I think the UK and the USA economy will worsen when the bluff has revealed. UK is in particular bad shape. God save the Queen!

As for Australia, praying for China to recover is futile. They are making exactly the same mistake as HK a decade ago. As for India, the re-elected 1970s Finance minister from Congress (I) will bring India backward.

Once all the govt stimulas spending have gone up in smoke, and the economy stall again, the world will return to a worse shape - thank of the new billions in debts. Someone got to pay both the interests and the loan sum. God Save the World!

Buffet:Economy still 'in shambles'
"I get figures from 70-odd businesses..everything I see about the economy is that we've no bounce," says billionaire investor dismissing recent talk of recovery. CNBC.
June 25, 2009

In a live interview on CNBC today, Warren Buffett said there has been little progress over the past few months in the "economic war" being fought by the country. "We haven't got the economy moving yet," he told Becky Quick.

While the economy is a "shambles" and likely to stay that way for some time, he remains optimistic there will eventually be a recovery over a period of years.

BECKY: The last time we sat down to talk to you was on May 4, and at that point you told us that you think we're in an economic war right now. How much progress do you think we've made in that war?

BUFFETT: Well, it's been pretty flat. I get figures on 70-odd businesses, a lot of them daily. Everything that I see about the economy is that we've had no bounce. The financial system was really where the crisis was last September and October, and that's been surmounted and that's enormously important. But in terms of the economy coming back, it takes a while. There were a lot of excesses to be wrung out and that process is still underway and it looks to me like it will be underway for quite a while. In the (Berkshire Hathaway) annual report I said the economy would be in a shambles this year and probably well beyond. I'm afraid that's true.

Buffett also noted that he had a cataract operation on his left eye about a month ago. He joked that he thought it might help him see "green shoots" for the economy, but so far he hasn't seen any hopeful signs.

Taking a firm position in an ongoing debate in the financial markets, Buffett says he's not concerned about deflation, but thinks inflation will be a problem in coming years.

Despite his negative view on the economy, Buffett still believes the stock market is attractive "over the next 10 years" when compared to alternatives like Treasury bonds.

In full: http://www.cnbc.com/id/31526130

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Important- Seeking Views
Got pm from a lady who told me the following. She had migrated when young and had obtained foreign citizenship. As she was a minor she could not renouce her singapore citizenship and held on to it. Recently she was told that she can apply for Singapore passport after taking an oath of allegiance at age 21, which she did. She is now in possession of 2 valid passport and one is from Singapore.

She also told me that application for Singapore passport no longer requires any declaration to state that if one is in possession of a foreign passport or citizenship.

Would like to ask others if this has been the case. Would be good if others shared their experiences.

As far as I know, the ways to renew a SG passport are
(1) In person or by mail at an embassy and consulate
(2) Online
(3) Drop-box at the ICA
(4) In person (at the counter) at the ICA

(1), (2), (3) all require a declaration of non-acquisition of the citizenship of another country. I do not know about (4).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. I have been told very reliably that unlike in the past, on a case by case basis, they will renew your passport even if you state that you have acquired foreign citizenship. Competition I guess is stiff even with countries.

As far as I know, the ways to renew a SG passport are
(1) In person or by mail at an embassy and consulate
(2) Online
(3) Drop-box at the ICA
(4) In person (at the counter) at the ICA

(1), (2), (3) all require a declaration of non-acquisition of the citizenship of another country. I do not know about (4).

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. I have been told very reliably that unlike in the past, on a case by case basis, they will renew your passport even if you state that you have acquired foreign citizenship. Competition I guess is stiff even with countries.

So I guess it is still up to the whim of the govt ... typical. By the way I think the online option does not allow you to declare that you have acquired the citizenship of another country. You have to declare "no" to proceed.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Important

I have since checked, the latest available ICA passport application/renewal form. There is indeed a declaration that must be made on whether one is in possession of a foreign citizenship.

This declaration has been there since the day I joined the force many many years ago ........ it's nothing new :smile:

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone successfully applied for an Sg passport even though he ticked YES to the other nationality passport box?

I'm curious because I'm about to do that and find out what my chances are.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone successfully applied for an Sg passport even though he ticked YES to the other nationality passport box?

I'm curious because I'm about to do that and find out what my chances are.

Please advise us of the official response to your situation. Thank you.

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
Applying to renew from abroad.

I'm not sure what my chances are, but I don't like lying. Lies always come back to haunt you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, not worth it. I know that they handled these things on a case by case basis. Don't be surprised if the outcome is favourable.

Applying to renew from abroad.

I'm not sure what my chances are, but I don't like lying. Lies always come back to haunt you.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
motuiti,

i don't get it, why do you still want to hold on to SG passport? got gold is it?

There can be lots of reasons. Like

(1) Keeping options open
(2) Owning (or being able to inherit) landed property in SG
(3) Visa free travel to certain countries (eg PRC)

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
There can be lots of reasons. Like

(1) Keeping options open
(2) Owning (or being able to inherit) landed property in SG
(3) Visa free travel to certain countries (eg PRC)

Singapore properties increase in value more reliably and faster than properties in many western countries. You hit it right!

But I don't think Singaporeans travel VISA free to PRC right? I forgot liao...

Singapore is a good place to retire and dun care.... got great food, and people to talk cock to. Life can get bored in a western country....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore properties increase in value more reliably and faster than properties in many western countries. You hit it right!

Singapore is a good place to retire and dun care.... got great food, and people to talk cock to. Life can get bored in a western country....

Between 1995 and 2008, property values in Sydney increased 4 fold in many suburbs. That's 400%! Same applies to NZ. The home that I bought in 1997 in Auckland is now worth 3.5 times what I paid despite the fact that NZ is currently in the depths of a recession.

During the same period, property values in Singapore hardly moved, due, in large part, to pappy govt interference in the free market process. My cousin's landed property was worth 3 million in 1995. He put in on the market in April last year for 3.5 million. The best offer he got was 2.8.

Govt interference makes property a dangerous investment in lalaland. You'll never know what's going to happen as rules pertaining to property transactions can literally change overnight without warning.

As far as food goes, Sydney and Melbourne are streets ahead in taste and variety compared to SG. The worst Mediterranean food in my suburb is twice as good as the best that SG has to offer. Same goes with Cajun, French, Middle Eastern, Japanese, Korean etc. Food is more than just Mee Siam without Hum. Singapore lacks the variety that other great cities around the world can offer. Most places offer the same old crap..

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal

But I don't think Singaporeans travel VISA free to PRC right? I forgot liao...

Singapore properties actually haven't increased as much as many other countries (although that may not be such a bad thing, since property bubbles have their own problems). Landed property in Singapore is probably not worth as much because you can't sell it to a foreigner.

I think the SG passport is one of the few (maybe the only one) that gives visa-free access to the PRC. Also some South American countries will grant the SG passport visa-free access but not the passport of many Western countries (in retaliation for them requiring visas of their citizens).

As for food - Singapore is great for Singapore food, not so great for international variety.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Between 1995 and 2008, property values in Sydney increased 4 fold in many suburbs. That's 400%! Same applies to NZ. The home that I bought in 1997 in Auckland is now worth 3.5 times what I paid despite the fact that NZ is currently in the depths of a recession.

During the same period, property values in Singapore hardly moved, due, in large part, to pappy govt interference in the free market process. My cousin's landed property was worth 3 million in 1995. He put in on the market in April last year for 3.5 million. The best offer he got was 2.8.

Govt interference makes property a dangerous investment in lalaland. You'll never know what's going to happen as rules pertaining to property transactions can literally change overnight without warning.

As far as food goes, Sydney and Melbourne are streets ahead in taste and variety compared to SG. The worst Mediterranean food in my suburb is twice as good as the best that SG has to offer. Same goes with Cajun, French, Middle Eastern, Japanese, Korean etc. Food is more than just Mee Siam without Hum. Singapore lacks the variety that other great cities around the world can offer. Most places offer the same old crap..

That's very good if you are a seller like yourself, but for those wishing to buy its terrible. Australia now has some of the most expensive property in the world. Its also not good for your economy as now the cost of everything to support your local economy will rise in tandem as local workers need more just to service mortgages and rents. The costs will just be passed onto you. Its very nice to have equity 3-5X what you paid, but it wont do you much good unless you can put it to good use and escape the inflation associated with it. Notice how much you food prices have gone up.

One thing is for sure, your prices wont come down because housing stock is limited in Australia/NZ.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
One thing is for sure, your prices wont come down because housing stock is limited in Australia/NZ.

There's something for everyone in OZ/NZ. That's because there is an abundance of land which allows for urban sprawl to continue unabated.

You can still get a beautiful house with a two car garage for NZD450,000. Try finding landed property for under a million bucks in sillypoor.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually its the Singapore landed property that the landed gentry and old money that are being eyed by the offsprings that have migrated and continue to hold on to dual citizenship.

There was an article by an investment bank (goldman's I think) report that Singapore private properties will skyrocket many times, if restrictions are lifted. In view of the extremely limited land. Notice the dilapidated porperties lying all around the island. Just take Tanjong Katong.

You are however right about OZ. Properties there outstripped equities over 2 decades and still going strong.

The other issue is however the manipulative nature of the PAP govt which you have rightly pointed out. To day record high for properties, tomorrow, down by 30% and no one has a clue.