• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSman who was found unconscious...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 background=/images/hdr_bkgrd.gif border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=24>Singapore News // Wednesday, January 14, 2009</TD><TD width=23> </TD><TD width=23> </TD><TD width=30> </TD><TD width=22> </TD><TD width=24> </TD><TD width=17> </TD><TD> </TD><TD width=10> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=30>‘I don’t know who I am’ </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NSman who was found unconscious had seemed confused, apologised repeatedly, court told

Leong Wee Keat

[email protected]

HE HAD seemed “confused” when he returned to his bunk and, according to a platoon mate, :Mr Jeremy Tan Chia Whee told them: “I do not know who I am.”
Twenty minutes after this, at about 6pm, Mr Tan — who was then a full-time National Serviceman — was found unconscious on a grass patch outside the block of his third-level bunk at Seletar Camp.
More than three years later, Mr Tan is still on the mend. Now 26, he is warded at the Tan Tock Seng Rehabilitation Centre, unable to move or speak, fully dependent on doctors and nurses for his daily needs.
His parents are now suing the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) over compensation issues. Mindef has classified Mr Tan’s injuries as non-service related injuries, which means he is only compensated on 80 per cent of his ward and meal charges.
But Mr Tan’s parents claim their son should be entitled to full compensation as he was on duty, and was wearing his army T-shirt, trousers and boots when he was found.
:There were apparently no witnesses to what had happened; medical reports said he suffered a head injury consistent with a fall from height.
Mr Tan Kian Lee testified yesterday that his son was the duty storeman on Aug 3, 2005, and had been waiting for his replacement, holding on to the store keys when he was found.
But Staff Sergeant Wan Chuan Seah — Mr Jeremy Tan’s superior — said the general practice was that the duty storeman may return to rest at around 5pm, upon completing his tasks for the day. This was despite the stipulated duty hours for the duty storeman being from 8am to 6pm.
Since Mindef’s payments ceased in February 2007, his parents have chalked up outstanding hospital bills totalling $133,000 for his upkeep.
Yesterday, mother Hor Hong Kiow told the court that manpower officer Linda Quek had told her she would appeal to Mindef to cover Mr Tan’s medical fees, as his injuries had occurred in the course of duty. Madam Hor also claimed Major Quek had told her the Singapore Armed Forces would appeal on the family’s behalf.
Mr Jeremy Tan’s sister, Jasmine, provided the court with a transcript of SMSes that he had sent to two servicemen, copied off his mobile phone.
In one SMS, Mr Tan reportedly asked a serviceman what time he was coming back to the boat-shed. He also messaged :another man,Sergeant Chew Zi Guo, with his apologies.
State Counsel Shawn Ho said Sgt Chew, who also spoke to Mr Tan over the phone, would testify that he did not understand why Mr Tan said he blamed himself for everything, :apologised repeatedly and cried.
:The hearing continues.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Since Mindef’s payments ceased in February 2007, his parents have chalked up outstanding hospital bills totalling $133,000 for his upkeep."

Like this? Then Mindef should also cease their pension payment to the officers. And also cease paying gradualties!

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I always tell my men that better take care of themselves and not expect those hypocrite scum who said they will. Dun be a hero as ultimately all credits are claimed by those fatso, doing nothing staff and generals.

Why put yourself at risk?

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE class=body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 background=/images/hdr_bkgrd.gif border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=24>Singapore News // Wednesday, January 14, 2009</TD><TD width=23> </TD><TD width=23> </TD><TD width=30> </TD><TD width=22> </TD><TD width=24> </TD><TD width=17> </TD><TD> </TD><TD width=10></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=738 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=30>‘I don’t know who I am’ </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NSman who was found unconscious had seemed confused, apologised repeatedly, court told

Leong Wee Keat

[email protected]

HE HAD seemed “confused” when he returned to his bunk and, according to a platoon mate, :Mr Jeremy Tan Chia Whee told them: “I do not know who I am.”
Twenty minutes after this, at about 6pm, Mr Tan — who was then a full-time National Serviceman — was found unconscious on a grass patch outside the block of his third-level bunk at Seletar Camp.
More than three years later, Mr Tan is still on the mend. Now 26, he is warded at the Tan Tock Seng Rehabilitation Centre, unable to move or speak, fully dependent on doctors and nurses for his daily needs.
His parents are now suing the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) over compensation issues. Mindef has classified Mr Tan’s injuries as non-service related injuries, which means he is only compensated on 80 per cent of his ward and meal charges.
But Mr Tan’s parents claim their son should be entitled to full compensation as he was on duty, and was wearing his army T-shirt, trousers and boots when he was found.
:There were apparently no witnesses to what had happened; medical reports said he suffered a head injury consistent with a fall from height.
Mr Tan Kian Lee testified yesterday that his son was the duty storeman on Aug 3, 2005, and had been waiting for his replacement, holding on to the store keys when he was found.
But Staff Sergeant Wan Chuan Seah — Mr Jeremy Tan’s superior — said the general practice was that the duty storeman may return to rest at around 5pm, upon completing his tasks for the day. This was despite the stipulated duty hours for the duty storeman being from 8am to 6pm.
Since Mindef’s payments ceased in February 2007, his parents have chalked up outstanding hospital bills totalling $133,000 for his upkeep.
Yesterday, mother Hor Hong Kiow told the court that manpower officer Linda Quek had told her she would appeal to Mindef to cover Mr Tan’s medical fees, as his injuries had occurred in the course of duty. Madam Hor also claimed Major Quek had told her the Singapore Armed Forces would appeal on the family’s behalf.
Mr Jeremy Tan’s sister, Jasmine, provided the court with a transcript of SMSes that he had sent to two servicemen, copied off his mobile phone.
In one SMS, Mr Tan reportedly asked a serviceman what time he was coming back to the boat-shed. He also messaged :another man,Sergeant Chew Zi Guo, with his apologies.
State Counsel Shawn Ho said Sgt Chew, who also spoke to Mr Tan over the phone, would testify that he did not understand why Mr Tan said he blamed himself for everything, :apologised repeatedly and cried.
:The hearing continues.

Hmm, Storeman from Boat Company of Seletar always problematic one for ages. One thing is odd though, Duty Storeman is always 24hour cycle, wonder why they want to claim his duty is 8 to 6. If people come back in the middle of the night, storeman has to be around at Boat Shed.

Must be some cover up somewhere; usually Boat coy is made up of misfits and rejects all over.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you mean while resting while not on duty !.

But still in camp grounds is considered on duty even sleeping !

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you mean while resting while not on duty !.

But still in camp grounds is considered on duty even sleeping !

Rightly said, as long as a serviceman is within the camp/unit compund. He is supposedly covered under MINDEF should anything bad happened to him.

Say a person got drunk and injured himself, within its compund it is the duty of the camp/unit to ensure proper medical attention is aided and not excluding hospitalisation. I wonder how much has the system changed the past 18 years but it is damn iiresponsible for MINDEF to disassociate themselves of any liabilities in this case.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the fate of Singapore parents. They sacrifice their sons to National Slavery just so that the Leegime can go on drawing their ridicculous million $$$ salaries and FTs could come in , make their money and fuck the spgs. Singapore is one of the worst countries in the world. :(

rickws8437

Alfrescian
Loyal
My five cents worth rdg this issue.. (1) Mindef did not shun liability as it only stopped paying in Feb 2007 (accident happened on Aug 2005). (2) Mindef does not want to continue payment as there is no near end to this liability (Noted that yearly upkeep is $130000 over). (3) The only amicable way out is to stop payment and let the court decide on a lump sum payment to the family (If the family wins since Mindef already accepted liability by footing the bill up to 2007). If the court rules in favour of Mindef, they could still fork out a sum of money to the family citing compassionate grounds and close the issue.

So whichever ways the court decide, it is still a win-win outcome for Mindef..

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think such a case should be settled privately. why bring to court for public hearing? mindef has supported thus far and perhaps it's going to be life-support for ever until he expires. i think u r right. the court should determine the amount of payment - one payment to settle everything. i think the family should be grateful that mindef has been supporting since the "incident". there must be give and take here lah. going to the court is quite humiliating for everyone, esp for mindef.

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rightly said, as long as a serviceman is within the camp/unit compund. He is supposedly covered under MINDEF should anything bad happened to him.

I agree. Booking in & out is not us (serviceman) to decide. If i cant book out and accident happen to me inside the camp, Mindef shld be fully responsible for my safety.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is very clear is that non one has a clue what had occurred. What is clear is that it occurred in Mindef, while he was based within the camp. He was wearing army gear not a fuclking tuxedo. The benefit of doubt must go to him unless Mindef can prove that there is a history behind this.

NS is a serious commitment by the State and by its Citizens. Its reflects very badly on Mindef and the Leaders if they walk from this without showing any shred of evidence that the chap brought this on himself.

Teo Chee Hean's wife is employed by a pseudo state organisation called NTUC. We all know how the "welfare" system works supporting political leaders, family and grassroots supporters and he as the Min of Defence should know responsibility where society is concerned. This need not go to the courts. This is also the reason why I have lots of respect for Mrs George Yeo who runs her own law firm and looking at her website or talking to her, you would not have a clue that her husband is a minister.

Can you imagine the number of families who are ignorant and have waived their right to sue for similar cases.

A real fucking bastard.

Shame on Teo Chee Hean.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Black

Errr got drunk and injured himself the responsibility of the state is a bridge to far in my view.

Cheers

Locke

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The benefit of doubt must go to him unless Mindef can prove that there is a history behind this.

Yes, the benefit of doubt should be given to the victim. I can't believe our country can tell his family "he die is his biz". When i was in the primary school, my teachers luv to keep reminding us that we are the future of our country - the country's biggest asset. Is Mindef telling us they no longer want to be responsible becos he is now a financial liability?

I have also done my part in national service and have given my best to my country. I can't help but feel so cheated by what they meant by "STAYING TOGETHER MOVING AHEAD".:mad:

Last edited:

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Black

Errr got drunk and injured himself the responsibility of the state is a bridge to far in my view.

Cheers

Locke

Even if he was drunk, so long as he was placed on duty, his medical expense should still be covered by Mindef. If a soldier is drunk and is still put on duty, whose fault? Unless it can be proven that he consume beer during his duty, benefit of doubt should still be given to him. Got problem Mindef has got to settle with his officer-in-charge, not the bing kia's fault

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, the benefit of doubt should be given to the victim. I can't believe our country can tell his family "he die is his biz". When i was in the primary school, my teachers luv to keep reminding us that we are the future of our country - the country's biggest asset. Is Mindef telling us they no longer want to be responsible becos he is now a financial liability?

I have also done my part in national service and have given my best to my country. I can't help but feel so cheated by what they meant by "STAYING TOGETHER MOVING AHEAD".:mad:
I am seriously disturbed by this.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was he drunk? I had the impression that he was the duty storeman awaiting for his replacement.

He wasn't drunk, its a "what if" scenario if something occured in camp for discussion.

I doubt he was awaiting replacement in the evening. What I remembered Duty Storemen at Boat Shed is a full day duty along with duty armskote man. There is more then it was reported I guess. Something just don;t add up in the news report thats all.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am seriously disturbed by this.

I'm seriously disturbed too, that there is a large percentage of NS men who really believe they are protecting the country's interest. I grew out of that naivety during my full time service years. I would like them to consider the possibility that doing NS is nothing more than serving the master's interest and being pawns to be used as training expendables for the anointed future members of the dictatorship!!!!!!!:mad: