• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Credit Card (“CC”) left at Self-Checkout Counter

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the 5th time it has happened to me. The first 2 times at NTUC, the other times at Ikea and Giant, and this time at Giant again!

I am not sure why I am so forgetful, perhaps I am getting old or there is something wrong about this Self-Checkout System which instead of “sliding” previously, now requires a minor “inserting” into the machine.

I did some groceries yesterday at Giant, decided to use Self-Checkout due to the long queues. Scanned, packed my groceries and left. This afternoon, I opened my wallet to get my CC to pay for lunch with my colleagues, the card isn’t there. I was literally “huffing and puffing”, thinking that CC could have dropped out when I took out my whole Mui wallet to tap at the MRT exit.

Cool myself down, mentally traced the places I went ~ I decided to pay Giant a visit and thank God it is there! The supervisor was fantastic and after some verification, he returned my card.

I am sure that there are lots of people who left their CCs behind at Check-out counter as I saw a huge stack of CCs in his drawer.

Is there any way to prevent such carelessness?

For example, ATMs has a sound feature if you have not taken your ATM card out of the slot, shouldn’t Self-Checkout counter has such feature too?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is the 5th time it has happened to me. The first 2 times at NTUC, the other times at Ikea and Giant, and this time at Giant again!

Do yourself a favor, join the non-self-checkout queue in future.

The smart chip is for fraud prevention if I recalled correctly, much better than the magnetic strip so says the banks. As of an alarm for the carelessness, I'm pretty sure a pricey mistake can cure that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal

The smart chip is for fraud prevention if I recalled correctly, much better than the magnetic strip so says the banks. As of an alarm for the carelessness, I'm pretty sure a pricey mistake can cure that :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Zhihau, I tend to use self-checkout as it is faster. The normal lines usually have customers with huge trolley load of stuff.

How does the smart chip prevent any theft??? If someone picks up my card, they can insert into the machine too without keying any password or number???

jw5

Loyal
My main reason for joining the non-self-checkout queue is to hear the cashier ask "Member?" or "Got Passion?". Bestest if cashier is a chiobu. :biggrin:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ownself check ownself, this bound to happen....:o

I am not sure why I am so forgetful, perhaps I am getting old or there is something wrong about this Self-Checkout System which instead of “sliding” previously, now requires a minor “inserting” into the machine.

I did some groceries yesterday at Giant, decided to use Self-Checkout due to the long queues. Scanned, packed my groceries and left. This afternoon, I opened my wallet to get my CC to pay for lunch with my colleagues, the card isn’t there. I was literally “huffing and puffing”, thinking that CC could have dropped out when I took out my whole Mui wallet to tap at the MRT exit.

Cool myself down, mentally traced the places I went ~ I decided to pay Giant a visit and thank God it is there! The supervisor was fantastic and after some verification, he returned my card.

I am sure that there are lots of people who left their CCs behind at Check-out counter as I saw a huge stack of CCs in his drawer.

Is there any way to prevent such carelessness?

For example, ATMs has a sound feature if you have not taken your ATM card out of the slot, shouldn’t Self-Checkout counter has such feature too?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
How does the smart chip prevent any theft??? If someone picks up my card, they can insert into the machine too without keying any password or number???

The smart chip prevents cards being cloned using the magnetic strip.
I don't like the idea of pay wave thou, any cards picked could be used for small amount without signatures required.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i make it a habit to open my wallet during self-checkout or during any checkout at all times, and do a quick scan of my wallet for missing slots or cards before closing it. i'm fussy about which card is supposed to be where in the wallet that a misplaced card in the wrong slot will irk me. anyway, that's minor compared to store or hotel employees stealing my cc number and passing it to identity fraudsters to clone it for use at target stores. target is so lousy with e-security that any tom, dick and harry with a cloned card can buy merchandise in the thousands of dollars. the other major issue is online banking. i had to close my accounts twice as some hackers broke in with credentials and transferred upwards of us$50k to their newly created accounts. the fbi should be hot on the heels of those hackers as they left behind clues while creating the new accounts.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cash is king, so say we all :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

cash is king when you stash at least usd250k in a single account with a bank, and they classify you as a "premier private" client. they will reimburse you any amount fraudulently withdrawn within the week that the crime is discovered as they need time to conduct investigation and alert law enforcement agencies. cash kept under the mattress will decay and rot.