• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chan Chun Sing had divorced parents!

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, psychology studies have shown children from broken families have an inclination towards psychopathic tendencies. Expect CCS to be hardcore to the extreme. He will one of the greatest Sith Lords to ever emerge from the PAP. Peasants can expect hell level 18 from him.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had a chance to speak to someone from the same batch of RJ students which produced the scholars who featured prominently this election. Apparently Chan chun sing was a quiet figure who didn't stand out. Reading his background in your link, i think the reason is obvious.

Ben pwee, on the other hand, was a teachers' pet and popular kid. Was told he was a goody two shoes and quite devoted to church.

Then I asked about the Sammyboy 2nd favourite columnist Chua Mui Hong. Was told she kept to herself all through secondary school and college and probably had read all the library books twice. Her uniform was always dirty and crumpled. Poor girl didn't have many friends in snobby RGS and RJ. Only much later did her school mates find out about her poor background. Her parents being hawkers.

With the gahment scholarship to lift them from their humble backgrounds, CCS and CMH are destined to be Pap die hard supporters.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't like ki qiu chan but let's not draw pop psychology conclusions about broken families, etc. That is unfair to him and to everyone else not fortunate enough to have gone through childhood with an intact family.

Unfortunately, psychology studies have shown children from broken families have an inclination towards psychopathic tendencies. Expect CCS to be hardcore to the extreme. He will one of the greatest Sith Lords to ever emerge from the PAP. Peasants can expect hell level 18 from him.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent observation.

The Intelligence Services around the world has long ago worked out that people from such backgrounds tend to adopt the State as surrogate parents and become fiercely loyal to the State to the point of being blind. Interestingly they can't tell the difference between State and the Govt of the day. Is it no surprise Ms Chua first went to ISD and then to State controlled media. Chua sisters parents were hawkers at Pasir Panjang hawkers centre and both sisters helped their parents everyday. Notice the same passion in CCS. The illegitimate son of one Singapore's favourite Chinese comedy is also in ISD. Grew up with Mum and they kept to themselves.

One of the most Sr person in SID has a very similar background. Intelligence Organisation also abhor people with extended families as nothing remains secret.

One of the most amazing things that I could never work out is the fact that they continue to be loyal to the state no matter where and how high they are educated. You can send them to Harvard, lived in the first world and the bond to the state is immense.

I had a chance to speak to someone from the same batch of RJ students which produced the scholars who featured prominently this election. Apparently Chan chun sing was a quiet figure who didn't stand out. Reading his background in your link, i think the reason is obvious.

Ben pwee, on the other hand, was a teachers' pet and popular kid. Was told he was a goody two shoes and quite devoted to church.

Then I asked about the Sammyboy 2nd favourite columnist Chua Mui Hong. Was told she kept to herself all through secondary school and college and probably had read all the library books twice. Her uniform was always dirty and crumpled. Poor girl didn't have many friends in snobby RGS and RJ. Only much later did her school mates find out about her poor background. Her parents being hawkers.

With the gahment scholarship to lift them from their humble backgrounds, CCS and CMH are destined to be Pap die hard supporters.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are mixing dysfunctional families with broken families. People divorce for various reasons and many continue to have decent lives.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the most amazing things that I could never work out is the fact that they continue to be loyal to the state no matter where and how high they are educated. You can send them to Harvard, lived in the first world and the bond to the state is immense.

I've had the chance to speak with many friends and peers to gauge their reaction to the recent 'watershed' election. Turns out (unsurprisingly) that Singaporeans are still a practical lot. Most are still blinded by bread and butter issues. Transparency, accountability, suffrage, democracy, representation are abstract concepts.

For instance, CMH, CCS and Ah pwee's batch of singaporeans are generally Pap voters in their early 40s. They graduated in the early 90s and reaped from the economic boom then. My batch is a bit mixed. We came out to work during the AFC, saw 2 more recessions and have had to jostle with fucking Fake Talents for a living. Most of my friends' voting patterns are consistent with how the Singaporean Dream is working out for them.

That said, the Gen Y voters will be the hardest to court. The Singaporean Dream is just an ancient myth for most in this segment. I hope things will get better for them in the next 5 years.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
The man comes from a poor divorced family. Yet is one of the top scholars of his generation, 1st class honors from Cambridge, topped his cohort in overseas officer class. Now he is a top PAP dog.

-Decides to be the first person to get the election papers, during interview "attempts" to portray himself as a simple man, trying to save some ERP charges.
- His KiQiu performance during the PAP speech and meet the press session
-Watch his behavior when the old auntie was being filmed during the opposition rally.

1) He is a couple of standard deviations from the bell curve in terms of academic ability
2) He is a couple of standard deviations from the bell curve in terms of personal motivation
3) I don't think his psychological make up is not going to be within the normal range.

Just my gut feel... This is not a normal individual.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks for the info

ben pwee was RI?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you are mixing dysfunctional families with broken families. People divorce for various reasons and many continue to have decent lives.

Divorce rates can hit 40%(of marraige) in US -so almost one out of 2 kids come from divorced families.
However 3 kids from divorced parents have gone on to be Presidents (Ford,Clinton, Obama) and I don't think they would be the last.

In fact I see less violence and child/spouse abuse in divorced families-compared to those that are forced to stay married together.
Normally the violence/abuse ends when the parties go to court .But for those that force themselves to stay together (religious/economic/cultural reasons), the continuing fights, violence and abuse can have a shattering effects on all.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Old man's had a winning formula - provide the basics and a little more and there is no reason to dissent. Life was good and the country prospered. Until relatives and friends started to lose their jobs, society and culture impacted by wave after wave of foreigners right across all strata of society. Those who live in good class bungalows are isolated and detached and unable to see or hear what goes on on the ground.

I've had the chance to speak with many friends and peers to gauge their reaction to the recent 'watershed' election. Turns out (unsurprisingly) that Singaporeans are still a practical lot. Most are still blinded by bread and butter issues. Transparency, accountability, suffrage, democracy, representation are abstract concepts.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Divorce rates can hit 40%(of marraige) in US -so almost one out of 2 kids come from divorced families.
However 3 kids from divorced parents have gone on to be Presidents (Ford,Clinton, Obama) and I don't think they would be the last.

that's America. Asia, Singapore?

From your info, does that mean CCS can be PM?

No!!!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes., agree. Thanks interesting comments.

In fact I see less violence and child/spouse abuse in divorced families-compared to those that are forced to stay married together.
Normally the violence/abuse ends when the parties go to court .But for those that force themselves to stay together (religious/economic/cultural reasons), the continuing fights, violence and abuse can have a shattering effects on all.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Irrelevant because all that is needed is the swing vote. There is a 30% block of die hard opposition - those that miss the Singapore Dream (afterall our system does not allow for second chances). So you just need that 21% to win.

Just like 1st world nations, the concerns of society shift from bread and butter issues. You see people with concerns from gay rights, animal rights, env concerns, free speech, transparency (one of the rough metrics to gauge if a society is 1st world is the number of pet supply stores), social safety nets, low cost healthcare, class ratios and numerous other issues. This segment is well educated, young and therefore not concerned with bread and butter issues.

So the old methods of providing basic bread and butter (carrot) with a huge stick (incarceration) no longer works.

When facebook came out many raised issues about privacy. But when the users were interviewed, many were none too concerned with this lack of privacy. They were perfectly fine with sharing their detail and friends and friends of friends. My point here is that this new generation has no concept or fear of big brother looking at them. With facebook and twitter they can easily organize against any party attacking their pet issue.

Just look at VB's attempt with the gay issue during GE. I suspect that the response against him came at all levels. Gay rights groups from within Singapore, those from overseas and likely even response from overseas Gov.

And you may be surprised with the response from those within the bungalows. All it takes is a son/daughter/nephew/niece who is gay and suddenly you have a family becoming very sensitive about gay issues.

This is a new world we are in.

Agree. Old man's had a winning formula - provide the basics and a little more and there is no reason to dissent. Life was good and the country prospered. Until relatives and friends started to lose their jobs, society and culture impacted by wave after wave of foreigners right across all strata of society. Those who live in good class bungalows are isolated and detached and unable to see or hear what goes on on the ground.

Last edited: