• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The New Paper's Eugene Wee loves PAP's boring politics!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE BUZZ
When it comes to politics, boring is good
IT was an election that could have easily been made into a blockbuster movie.
By Eugene Wee

10 November 2008

IT was an election that could have easily been made into a blockbuster movie.

There was a great script, a solid cast of memorable characters, lots of action, and lots of laughs.

The only thing missing was a car chase.

No wonder the recently concluded US election was all my friends could talk about in the past weeks.

They also had a major complaint - why couldn't Singapore politics be just as exciting.

But here's the thing - to me, exciting always makes for good TV, but not always for good government.

When it comes to politics, boring is good. Very good.

But try telling that to my friends.

Whether it was meal-time chatter, instant messaging quips, or SMS messages, all they could talk about was the mudslinging between Senator John McCain and now-soon-to-be-President Barack Obama, or how blur Republican veep nominee Sarah Palin is, or who was the hotter YouTube supporter, Obama Girl or McCain Girl.

One colleague even asked me if my life was suddenly emptier now that the elections were over.

If only Singapore politics could be this dramatic.

Really? Why?

'Then people like me would be more interested in politics. Now, local politics just puts me to sleep,' replied one friend.

Here, instead of two parties fighting tooth-and-nail for the people's vote, we have one very dominant party which, in most cases, is a shoo-in to win in most constituencies where there is even an election, the others being walkovers.

You don't have to look all the way to the US to experience excitement in politics. Closer to home, other countries where the political scene is equally exciting include Malaysia, Taiwan and Thailand.

When was the last time a Singapore MP waved a kris in Parliament, or an opposition MP launched a rotten tomato at a colleague, or tens of thousands of Singaporeans turned the Padang into a giant, muddy campsite-cum-protest site?

Can't think of any such thing? Well, that only means the government in place is doing a good enough job governing and nobody wants to rock the boat.

Still, there will no doubt be those who will argue that just because our political landscape is boring, it doesn't mean we have a good government.

They will say the Ministers earn too much, the cost of living here is too high and getting higher, and the gap between rich and poor is getting wider.

And sure, some may argue that boring politics fosters apathy and a paternalistic society.

Good government, no doubt

There will be a lot more complaints about what our government may or may not be doing right, but you can't deny that we have a good government.

Would you prefer the kind of political excitement that they have in the US?

I lived in Saint Louis, Missouri, for five years before I moved back this year.

And let me tell you, it was pretty exciting.

St Louis was voted most violent city in the US in 2006, and was second last year. The houses in some neighbourhoods I drove by had bullet holes in the fences. And every week, there would be reports in the news of someone getting shot.

Going to a doctor could set your heart thumping if you didn't have health insurance. A trip to the doctor for a simple urine test cost my wife US$700 ($1,040) once because she hadn't gotten her coverage yet.

More than 45 million Americans, some 15 per cent of the population, can't afford health insurance.

Need another rush? Try looking for a job. Unemployment rate in the US is currently at a 14-year high of 6.5 per cent, compared with Singapore's 2.2 per cent.

Sounds pretty darn exciting, doesn't it?
=========================================

If living in St Louis was so bad as Eugene Wee makes it out to be, than why the f#@k did he stay there for 5 years and 'torture' himself?:rolleyes:

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Eugene Wee

10 November 2008

There will be a lot more complaints about what our government may or may not be doing right, but you can't deny that we have a good government.

=========================================

If living in St Louis was so bad as Eugene Wee makes it out to be, than why the f#@k did he stay there for 5 years and 'torture' himself?:rolleyes:

He's a PAP running dog, alright. What good government when it's headed by an incompetent baboon just because he/it is the offspring of an octogenarian dictator who refuses to give up?

Where is the transparency and accountability? Where is our hard-earned CPF savings? Why is daughter-in-law Ho Ching treating our reserves as if it’s her piggy bank? The list goes on....

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boring politics is just another euphemism for "let's just stick to the status quo".

The biggest problem of that however is that when a country allows itself to be like this in every single area, the country becomes reactive, and not proactive. In many ways, this makes the country become regressive, and not progressive.

And it makes us economically, and socially poorer because other countries will be galloping way ahead of us- because all of them wanna stay ahead of the curve.

So when the country comes across a storm of change, its more likely to be swamped rather than to surf and navigate the waves and the storm successfully. Singapore is in danger of being swamped because the government is too inward looking, too reactive, and not receptive to change- which has always been part of human history itself.

And if Singapore starts to sink economically and socially, because of its politics, then it'd be very hard to expect this country to return back to its heights that we achieved during the 70s and 80s in social and economical growth.