• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bishan & Toa Payoh Residents, Your Chance to Change the Nation for the Better is Here

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GE: SPP names 2 GRC candidates
By Hoe Yeen Nie | Posted: 10 April 2011 1607 hrs <LINK rel=image_src href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpe9LCel.jpg">
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD width=240 align=right>
phpe9LCel.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=60 vAlign=top> </TD><TD class=update height=80 vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#f6f6f6 width=138>Photos </TD><TD bgColor=#f6f6f6 width=47>1 of 1</TD><TD bgColor=#f6f6f6 width=18><INPUT id=btnPrev disabled onclick=Prev(); value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" width=18 height=15 type=image></TD><TD bgColor=#f6f6f6 width=19><INPUT id=bntPlay onclick=Play() value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" width=19 height=15 type=image></TD><TD bgColor=#f6f6f6 width=18><INPUT id=btnNext disabled onclick=Next(); value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" width=18 height=15 type=image></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
dotline_240.gif

Singapore People's Party</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD class=update> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=240><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc vAlign=top>
shim.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Special Report </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc vAlign=top>
shim.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=subheader vAlign=top width="4%">•</TD><TD class=bodytext width="96%">GE Countdown </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- for Facebook Like function --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=510><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4><HR align=left color=#dddddd SIZE=1 width=510></TD></TR><TR><TD height=30 vAlign=center width=510 colSpan=4><?xml:namespace prefix = fb ns = "http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" /><fb:like class="fb_like fb_edge_widget_with_comment fb_iframe_widget" href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1121893/1/.html" layout="standard" show_faces="false" width="510" action="recommend"><IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 510px; HEIGHT: 22px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" id=f2dcd4600484224 class=fb_ltr title="Like this content on Facebook." onload=FB.Content._callbacks.f255605f8eecef() src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=recommend&api_key=113370852059819&channel_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect%2Fxd_proxy.php%3Fversion%3D0%23cb%3Df109c75ed39810d%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.channelnewsasia.com%252Ff1cff07dd8c0f%26relation%3Dparent.parent%26transport%3Dflash&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.channelnewsasia.com%2Fstories%2Fsingaporelocalnews%2Fview%2F1121893%2F1%2F.html&layout=standard&locale=en_US&node_type=1&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=510" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency name=f1ca29eb89bcce3 scrolling=no></IFRAME></fb:like></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=4><HR align=left color=#dddddd SIZE=1 width=510></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPORE : The Singapore People's Party's (SPP) team in Bishan-Toa Payoh Group Representation Constituency (GRC) is taking shape.

It will be led by Secretary-General Chiam See Tong, and includes Benjamin Pwee, a former high-flyer in the civil service.

The candidates were unveiled during the party's walkabout on Sunday.

There had been concerns that Mr Chiam would not have enough candidates to contest the five-member Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

But on Sunday, he showed off two members, and promised more to come.

Mr Pwee is seen as the party's trump card. He was an officer in the Administrative Service, and a former chairman in the People's Action Party's (PAP) youth wing in the Thomson area. He now runs his own business strategy consultancy firm, I-deo Asia.

He said his heart is in Bishan, having grown up there.

Mr Pwee had also followed his father, Robert Pwee, on his grassroots activities for the PAP.

Speaking in Mandarin and Cantonese, he said he had struggled before making his decision, but believes it was the right choice.

Mr Pwee said: "I believe a country at our stage of development needs more voices on the ground, where citizens can participate in the political process through different means...And if I can play a role, I would be happy to step forward."

He added that he would like to represent the concerns of residents in his age group and senior citizens.

Another new candidate is Wilfred Leung, Mr Chiam's campaign manager in the last General Election.

He is also the Assistant Secretary-General of the SPP.

He said: "What we are bringing to the residents of Bishan-Toa Payoh is very simple. They have everything here, that is without a doubt. What our team is going to bring to Bishan residents is just one thing - their voice to Parliament."

He added that his experience as a town councillor in Potong Pasir will be useful, if he is elected.

"In the town council, I have experienced the whole process of being able to achieve our promises despite some of the constraints that we have," he said, adding that he has also been active in the Meet-the People Sessions for several years.

Mr Leung joined the party in 2004, while Mr Pwee only officially joined a week ago.

Both of them said one reason why they have decided to stand is out of a wish to help fulfil Mr Chiam's desire of contesting in a GRC.

The remaining two candidates are expected to be announced soon, and according to electoral rules, one of them has to be a Malay candidate.

There are indications he is 48-year-old businessman Mohamad Hamim Aliyas, a founding member of the party, who was with Mr Chiam's side during the walkabout.

With the SPP mounting a challenge, the coming General Election marks the first time residents of Bishan-Toa Payoh would get to vote since the constituency was formed in 1997.

While some welcomed the competition, a few residents expressed some concern over Mr Chiam's health.

One of them is 55-year-old Betty Chia. She said: "One reason why I think he is going into a GRC is maybe because if he stands alone (in a Single Member Constituency), (his health) will be a weak point for him. But if he stands in a GRC and people feel that the party is playing a part for Singapore, then they may want to vote for him."

Another resident, 52-year-old Amrjit Singh, is more sceptical of the SPP's chances. He said: "They have so far been winning in Potong Pasir, but they can't do anything in Potong Pasir. What can they do for us in Bishan?"

It is not going to be an easy fight for the SPP, which is likely to come up against a strong slate of incumbent MPs from the PAP. While Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC sits just adjacent to Mr Chiam's stronghold of Potong Pasir, the residents here are a lot more diverse, and the candidates said they will have to spend more time getting familiar with issues on the ground, before revealing their campaign platform.

Besides Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, SPP will also contest in the single wards of Hong Kah North and Potong Pasir.

The party said it will not be announcing any new battlegrounds.

Mr Chiam said: "I do not think we want to dilute our resources. We want to concentrate on a few good potential constituencies...and we will be happy if we win all those constituencies that we contest in."

Mr Chiam has named his wife, Lina Chiam, as the candidate in Potong Pasir, while SPP Chairman Sin Kek Tong is expected to stand in Hong Kah North.

Mr Sin showed up near the end of the walkabout as a show of support for Mr Chiam, having just completed his rounds in Hong Kah North.

- CNA/wk/ms <!-- Zone Tag : Channel News asia In Text <script type="text/javascript"> innity_pub = "66368270ffd51418ec58bd793f2d9b1b"; innity_zone = "12251"; innity_width = "**"; innity_height = "**"; innity_country = "SG"; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.innity.com/network.js"></script>-->

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Bishan & Toa Payoh Residents, Your Chance to Change the Nation for the Better is

SPP should field Mr Sin Kek Tong in Potong Pasir. He scored a very credible 48% in Braddell Heights in the 1991 elections. I believe he would be a better candidate than Mrs Chiam. Hope they are not making a mistake by sending Mr Sin to Hong Kah North, which is uncharted territory.

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Bishan & Toa Payoh Residents, Your Chance to Change the Nation for the Better is

i wld agreed with u.
sin kt is in a better position 2 defend pp.
no wonder, 'd confident sitoh' wana stand back n refuse lompang in2 grc

SPP should field Mr Sin Kek Tong in Potong Pasir. He scored a very credible 48% in Braddell Heights in the 1991 elections. I believe he would be a better candidate than Mrs Chiam. Hope they are not making a mistake by sending Mr Sin to Hong Kah North, which is uncharted territory.

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal

It will be nice to see SPP take Bishan while PAP take Potong Pasir.

jw5

Loyal

Forvendet,

What do you think of Mr Chiam's team?

Mentri_Besar_emas

Alfrescian
Loyal

It will be nice to see SPP take Bishan while PAP take Potong Pasir.
yes man! so PP can get priority upgrade after so many years, but we still retain the Oppo in Parliamnt in Bishan GRC(bigger), and Bishan no need so much upgrading ,mah? tio bo?
Pls man vote SPP or WP in Bishan !!!

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal

let d electrorate dissolved d bishan-tp team
yes man! so PP can get priority upgrade after so many years, but we still retain the Oppo in Parliamnt in Bishan GRC(bigger), and Bishan no need so much upgrading ,mah? tio bo?
Pls man vote SPP or WP in Bishan !!!

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

If Chiam win Bishan-Toa Payoh.... I will bring my family to celebrity restaurants for a big celebration :biggrin:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If Chiam win Bishan-Toa Payoh.... I will bring my family to celebrity restaurants for a big celebration :biggrin:

If at least 3 GRCs are captured by any opposition parties, it will bring joy to this nation. Already some wines are being stocked up ready to be popped.

Last edited:

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

If at least 3 GRCs are captured by any opposition parties, it will bring joy to this nation. Already some wines are being stocked up ready to be popped.

No problem :biggrin:

If the above come true... I prepare $3000 for celebrations :biggrin:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forvendet,

What do you think of Mr Chiam's team?

Sure to vote for them, me and my wife. They've gotten rid of that moron Desmond Lim and his gang, so not much more worry about who're the rest of the team, except they should ensure a decent Malay candidate. No need to be high flyer, just decent will do. I think SPP should have concentrated on the PP - B-TP area years ago as strategic necessity, but better late than never.

Last edited:

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah Bishan and Toa Payoh residents, vote for Chiam and his team.

I am glad I am not living in that GRC. So yeah, vote for them.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I will take my family to the restaurant.
vs
I will bring some restuarant food home, for my mother, who was unable to go to the restaurant.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My wife and I will surely vote for them.
not
me and my wife

Sure to vote for them, me and my wife. They've gotten rid of that moron Desmond Lim and his gang, so not much more worry about who're the rest of the team, except they should ensure a decent Malay candidate. No need to be high flyer, just decent will do. I think SPP should have concentrated on the PP - B-TP area years ago as strategic necessity, but better late than never.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

My wife and I will surely vote for them.
not
me and my wife

Excuse me for my American lingo, like me and you and a dog named boo, traveling and living off the land. :biggrin:

But you're right, in proper English, I comes last, not me comes first.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: You Have a Positive Attitude

You have a positive attitude, and was not offended.
Cheers.

Excuse me for my American lingo, like me and you and a dog named boo, traveling and living off the land. :biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Voting for Oppo will see the demise of their estates like Hillview Estate voters. Where is Hillivew estate now hah?????????????

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ken La Voie AKA "Lobo" " me & you & a dog name boo"...traveling & living off the land...was an easy restive life..

But vote wrongly it will be " Me & you & all the dogs that will be living off the land"...

Just pray, that PP, HG & many more will be voted in, for a VOICE!

or else we will will singing the Lobo tune to "Me & you & all the dogs will be living off the land"...and Limanyoldhowsay..with his 'sor lo" (Z) uniform, will have his last laugh!:mad:

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

You have a positive attitude, and was not offended.
Cheers.

One more round for the road, cheers! :smile:

Ken La Voie AKA "Lobo" " me & you & a dog name boo"...traveling & living off the land...was an easy restive life..

But vote wrongly it will be " Me & you & all the dogs that will be living off the land"...

Just pray, that PP, HG & many more will be voted in, for a VOICE!

or else we will will singing the Lobo tune to "Me & you & all the dogs will be living off the land"...and Limanyoldhowsay..with his 'sor lo" (Z) uniform, will have his last laugh!:mad:

Just hope and pray not me and you and all the dogs forced into leaving the land. :(