• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM Lee Still Harbour Ill Will Against Man Who Died 22 Yrs Ago - Forum Letter

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_572473.html

Aug 30, 2010
MM'S EULOGY FOR GOH KENG SWEE
Late Malaysian leader's daughter responds to remarks about dad

ON MAY 23, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew delivered an eulogy at the state funeral for former deputy prime minister Goh Keng Swee, who was the cousin of my father, Tun Tan Siew Sin.

In his eulogy, Mr Lee said: 'After we (Singapore) had joined Malaysia, we discovered we had been ambushed. He (Dr Goh) stood up for our rights and fought to protect Singapore's interests against the Federal Finance Ministry, whose Finance Minister was his cousin, Tan Siew Sin, who was out to spite Singapore.'

In deference to Mrs Goh Keng Swee, son Kian Chee and his wife Siok Sun, I have waited until after the 100 days of mourning before responding to Mr Lee's unwarranted attack on my father.

Despite their differences on policy issues, my father had a high regard for Dr Goh whom he credited as the architect of Singapore's stunning economic success.

In his two-volume autobiography, Mr Lee wrote disparagingly about my father. I had hoped that would be the end of his invective. I am sad the Minister Mentor still harbours ill will against a man who has been dead for 22 years.

My father's attitude towards Singapore is encapsulated in his speech in Parliament on June 1, 1965, in which he said:

'I would like to make it clear that we in the Central Government, whatever our differences with the Singapore Government might be, have no quarrel with the people of Singapore. Not only do we wish them well, but also we want them to progress as they should progress, bearing in mind some of the great qualities which they possess in so marked a degree.'

These words - and his acknowledgement that Singapore possessed some great qualities in a marked degree - refutes the suggestion that my father was 'out to spite Singapore'.

Mr Lee's continuing animus against my father makes memorable the tea that my mother and I had with Mrs Lee Kuan Yew in Carcosa (a hotel which was once the residence of the British High Commissioner in Kuala Lumpur) in September 2001.

Realising that my mother's hearing problems inhibited conversation, Mrs Lee - who was seated next to Tun Dr Siti Hasmah (wife of then Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad) - broke with protocol, came and sat next to my mother and conversed with her for a few minutes.

My mother and I will always cherish meeting Mrs Lee.

Tan Siok Choo (Ms)
Kuala Lumpur
gl

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When he crosses the River Styx to the other side, there will be many carrying 'hatchets' waiting for him the numerous cul de sacs....

M

Man With Seven Scars

To be fair, Malaysia were really out to suffocate us back then. As much as I dislike Old Man, I think he had ill-will towards the Malaysians because he knew their dirty tricks.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be fair, Malaysia were really out to suffocate us back then. As much as I dislike Old Man, I think he had ill-will towards the Malaysians because he knew their dirty tricks.

Were you around when we joined the Federation of Malaysia?, May 13, 1969?, you just do not know what you are talking about...history have proven that the seperation was the best thing to do...

M

Man With Seven Scars

Were you around when we joined the Federation of Malaysia?, May 13, 1969?, you just do not know what you are talking about...history have proven that the seperation was the best thing to do...
And since when did my statement reflects that I feel we should join Malaysia?

And mind you, we joined the Federation of Malaysia in September 1963. Who is the one who does not know what he is talking about?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one characteristic of old man that has never changed. He does this to everyone even when they dying or dead. He was the same with JBJ, Lim Chin Siong and Tan Siew Sin. The way he wrote about JBJ, one would thought he was an ogre. His remarks are cutting and they are not necessarily accurate. Chia Thye Poh detention is no accident. To his day, even the guys in ISD cannot fathom why he would not give the order. There were many who were released over the years and some crossed back to the communist side and went across the causeway. So why not Chia. People who himself recuited for his cause were spoken so disparagingly when they spoke out. Jarmeet and Woodhull were both recruited by him from the University. Look at his comments.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And since when did my statement reflects that I feel we should join Malaysia?

And mind you, we joined the Federation of Malaysia in September 1963. Who is the one who does not know what he is talking about?

touche!..it is not joining Malaysia, we do not belong there, if we had there will be terrible bloodshed..

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore had never really joined FOM. LKY's idea of that so-called merger was for economic convenience and leverage, and ambition to lead to a Singapore takeover of FOM. All other FOM states have state assemblies and chief ministers. LKY insisted on Singapore having national parliament and cabinet with Prime Minister (himself of course) not subsidary in jurisdiction to FOM Parliament in KL. The president of Singapore wasn't intended to be an alternative to a state sultan, he's still presidential head of state. How could one merged and federated nation have two prime ministers, one king and one president? It was a farce bound to fail.

championplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Siew Sin were not liked by the Chinese in Singapore. He was even hated by the common people because they felt he was selling them out to the Tengku. They even have a nickname for him - Tan Chew Cheng!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what LKY wanted you to first learn, then know, and then finally repeat after him. He has succeeded beyond imagination. Your brain has absorbed PAP's propaganda for so long i think you have to throw it away. If you hang on to it, you will not be able to appreciate post-LKY life in Singapore and celebrate with the others in Singapore. It's yr brain that has gone chew cheng.

Tan Siew Sin were not liked by the Chinese in Singapore. He was even hated by the common people because they felt he was selling them out to the Tengku. They even have a nickname for him - Tan Chew Cheng!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
People should read third party accounts of what happened before, during and after malaysia.

LKY broke his promise to the Tengku that he and PAP will not challenge the elections in malaysia in 1964. But he reneged on it. Notr only that, his plan was to kill off the MCA and replace it with his PAP. Tengku was incensed as MCA has UMNO backing, and the Tengku would never look at LKY as merely contented to just "replace" MCA. The Tengku knew that LKY would next aim his sights at the tengku's own position. That would cause a riot and even civil war. LKY was too impatient to wait to make a bid for power. Look thru the Hansards and third party accounts, and the reader will find out that what he said in the Malaysian parliament on liberty, freedom, democratric rights etc. he would say the opposite in Singapore parliament. That is the man - scheming, devious, ruthless, cold, calculating, heartless, raw animal instincts, and as the Chinese would say - he can swallow a man without spitting out the bones.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
People should read third party accounts of what happened before, during and after malaysia.

LKY broke his promise to the Tengku that he and PAP will not challenge the elections in malaysia in 1964. But he reneged on it. Notr only that, his plan was to kill off the MCA and replace it with his PAP. Tengku was incensed as MCA has UMNO backing, and the Tengku would never look at LKY as merely contented to just "replace" MCA. The Tengku knew that LKY would next aim his sights at the tengku's own position. That would cause a riot and even civil war. LKY was too impatient to wait to make a bid for power. Look thru the Hansards and third party accounts, and the reader will find out that what he said in the Malaysian parliament on liberty, freedom, democratric rights etc. he would say the opposite in Singapore parliament. That is the man - scheming, devious, ruthless, cold, calculating, heartless, raw animal instincts, and as the Chinese would say - he can swallow a man without spitting out the bones.
An interesting, alternate view of the events during the merger. I shall go and read up on it.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear King

His defense was always that it was Toh Chin Chye's idea but not his. But I do wonder whether it was his ambitions or just ruthless political survival as Tengku's UMNO had stood against the PAP first in order to challenge the PAP for its Malay votes.

Locke

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes I am totally flabberghasted with how surgical LKY's brainwashing has succeeded of an entire post-65 generation!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Partly right but a correction. UMNO did not contest as Malaysian UMNO but back Singapore's UMNO.

LKY also forged ties with the sabah, sarawak parties into a MSC -Malaysian Solidarity Convention - to gather enough Chinese parliament seats to threaten UMNO. That was sedition.

later he left devan Nair to fight a rear-guard battle in DAP. such was his vindictiveness!

Dear King

His defense was always that it was Toh Chin Chye's idea but not his. But I do wonder whether it was his ambitions or just ruthless political survival as Tengku's UMNO had stood against the PAP first in order to challenge the PAP for its Malay votes.

Locke

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear King

Locke

It is always not his ideas but others, but who is taking the glory & basking in the limelight? others?...no! him!

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the LKY way, hit them and keep hitting them, especially when they're dead. Unfair? Too bad, for some reason it seems as though he's going to live longer than all his adversaries. So he'll always have the last word.