• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mindeaf Insist On Kar Cheow NSmen Even in University! While FTrash Have it GOOD!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Why these students get common call-up
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Mr Sylvester Lim's letter, 'Call-up blues' (Sept 14), on the call-up of operationally ready national servicemen (NSmen) who are pursuing full-time studies in institutions such as the Singapore Institute of Management.
To maintain the operational readiness of army units, the Singapore Armed Forces requires NSmen from the same unit to attend in-camp training (ICT) together. Hence, it is not possible for the unit to accommodate the different schedules of each of their NSmen when scheduling ICT.
However, the Ministry of Defence understands our NSmen have to balance their work, academic and other commitments with their ICT obligations. Most NSmen studying in the three local universities (National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Management University) are scheduled for ICT call-ups during their academic vacation period. This arrangement is made possible because these universities have a common vacation period, and the majority of our NSmen study in these institutions.
NSmen pursuing full-time studies in other educational institutions can apply for deferment from their ICT as per the normal deferment process.
Colonel Darius Lim
Director Public Affairs
Ministry of Defence

<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>The bottomline, it would seem from the official reply, is that unless you are at an instutition where the vacation period is in sync with the three named local institutions, there is very little, if any, flexibility. Deferment is not really an option, since there is only so many times one can apply for one. On a separate but related issue, this also brings home the point that male citizens make tremendous sacrifices for this country.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: tanden76 at Tue Sep 22 16:21:16 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I think the undergraduates just serve the reservist and without bringing up any question is the best policy for the Mindef. Anyway, what can we do?
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: mingsuny at Tue Sep 22 13:00:22 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
REVOLUTION!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate and hesitate to post this as many here knows who am I, but I think that I should, for the bigger common good of all my compatriot NSmen.

I've filed 2 disruption applications and 4 exit permit applications through my liability period. All were approved, zero rejection. In a practical sense, that meant that I've never served any "high-key" reservist callup except for some routine reportings, paperwork-shuffling formalities and IPPTs (quite rewarding this one, $400 for gold).

There's no trick or connection involved. All you need is a real reason valid to the enlistment laws for disruption. What's a valid reason? Work abroad or study abroad (peninsula Malaysia excluded) is a valid reason. Good enough for 3 years worth of disruption with proper documentary evidence. In Singapore, a marriage is worth 1 year and a change of new job is worth 6 months of disruption. Fulltime study in Singapore, at least 4 hours in daytime per day in a MOE registered institution is also valid reason. However, that's valid for general discruption but not during vacation time, for which you can still be liable for reservist callup as in the NUS case.

Present your case honestly, truthfully and with proper documentation. Don't try to twist facts to suit your desires. Once a hole in your case is detected or suspected, your whole case collapses into mere malingering or shirking of duty.

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate and hesitate to post this as many here knows who am I, but I think that I should, for the bigger common good of all my compatriot NSmen.

I've filed 2 disruption applications and 4 exit permit applications through my liability period. All were approved, zero rejection. In a practical sense, that meant that I've never served any "high-key" reservist callup except for some routine reportings, paperwork-shuffling formalities and IPPTs (quite rewarding this one, $400 for gold).

There's no trick or connection involved. All you need is a real reason valid to the enlistment laws for disruption. What's a valid reason? Work abroad or study abroad (peninsula Malaysia excluded) is a valid reason. Good enough for 3 years worth of disruption with proper documentary evidence. In Singapore, a marriage is worth 1 year and a change of new job is worth 6 months of disruption. Fulltime study in Singapore, at least 4 hours in daytime per day in a MOE registered institution is also valid reason. However, that's valid for general discruption but not during vacation time, for which you can still be liable for reservist callup as in the NUS case.

Present your case honestly, truthfully and with proper documentation. Don't try to twist facts to suit your desires. Once a hole in your case is detected or suspected, your whole case collapses into mere malingering or shirking of duty.

This may be the case these days but I remember sometime in the 80s when some of these guys who were studying in private institutions and taking examinations like LCCI, they were not able to get a deferment. The common reply used to be, come for reservist and on the day of your exam book out, take your exam and come back. No time for revision at all, Geez. And even that was if you were training locally. If you had to go over to Brunei or ROC, then there goes your exam. Maybe they've become more flexible now.