• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Heartless judge made fun of hungry man who had not eaten for days

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can this be?

If this report is accurate, something is very very wrong

The man is so poor and hungry, even if you want to go by the book, you should not be heartless to kick a man when he is at the very bottom

My heart cries when I read this

I was once living by the beach too, except I had no tent, only a worn out guitar

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_418240.html

Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Aug 18, 2009
Jailed for living in illegal tent
By Sujin Thomas

HOMELESS and unemployed, Noor Mohammad Yassin Ismail pitched a canvas tent at East Coast Park in May, 2007, and lived there for almost a month - without a lease or licence to do so.

He was discovered on June 26 of that year, after he was apprehended by park rangers.

In court on Tuesday, Noor was asked to produce his Identity Card or passport but he said that he had lost both items.

It prompted District Judge Mr Shaiffudin Saruwan to retort in jest: 'I suggest you use a bicycle chain to tie yourself to a tree or you may lose yourself as well.'

Pleading for leniency, Noor, who is tanned and skinny, said that he seldom ate, only doing so if friends gave him food.

He added that his mother is paralysed and looked after by a younger sibling, while an elder sister does not care about him.

He was fined $800 but could not afford to pay the fine so he was jailed four days instead. He could have been fined up to $2,000.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in USA , homeless people make tent in park.

not in singapore.

How can this be?

The man is so poor and hungry, even if you want to go by the book, you should not be heartless to kick a man when he is at the very bottom

My heart cries when I read this

I was once living by the beach too, except I had no tent, only a worn out guitar

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_418240.html

Aug 18, 2009
Jailed for living in illegal tent
By Sujin Thomas

HOMELESS and unemployed, Noor Mohammad Yassin Ismail pitched a canvas tent at East Coast Park in May, 2007, and lived there for almost a month - without a lease or licence to do so.

He was discovered on June 26 of that year, after he was apprehended by park rangers.

In court on Tuesday, Noor was asked to produce his Identity Card or passport but he said that he had lost both items.

It prompted District Judge Mr Shaiffudin Saruwan to retort in jest: 'I suggest you use a bicycle chain to tie yourself to a tree or you may lose yourself as well.'

Pleading for leniency, Noor, who is tanned and skinny, said that he seldom ate, only doing so if friends gave him food.

He added that his mother is paralysed and looked after by a younger sibling, while an elder sister does not care about him.

He was fined $800 but could not afford to pay the fine so he was jailed four days instead. He could have been fined up to $2,000.

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
An earlier case

Poor and hungry, sleep at beach kena jailed, sleep on park bench kena fined

BULLY THE WEAK AND POOR!!! WHAT THE FUCKING CHEEBYE!!!

Oct 14, 2008
Costly park bench nap
Nappers can be fined $200 for misuse of park facility.

The National Parks Board (NParks) fined the private bus driver for having misused the park facility by sleeping on the bench. -- PHOTO: THE NEW PAPER

WHAT was supposed to be a free 15-minute nap on a park bench turned into a costly snooze for one Singaporean.

The New Paper on Tuesday reported that a 62-year-old, who only wanted to be known as Mr Kassim, was fined $200 when he dozed off on a Sun Plaza Park bench while taking shelter from the rain.

The National Parks Board (NParks) fined the private bus driver for having misused the park facility by sleeping on the bench.

The incident happened on Sept 1 at a park in Tampines.

Mr Kassim had dozed off on one of the wooden benches while seeking shelter from a heavy downpour. He woke up about 15 minutes later to see two men, who would later identify themselves as NParks rangers, walking towards him.

They asked for his identity card, told him he had 'abused park facilities by sleeping on the park bench', and issued him a ticket.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first one on Noor, maybe he did break the law 'camping' without permit, but the 'jest' was totally in bad taste. The judge being a malay himself makes it worst, only meant elitism has totally washed away any old KUMPUNG spirit of trying to help out a fellow man in dire need.

Then the old new about the old man sleeping in the park. What the Frikin Fuck is it all about? A park is for relaxing and rest isn't it? How can they get away with unreasonable regulations like that?

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
left : District Judge Mr Shaiffudin Saruwan
Nov00-societyevents.htm_txt_11b.gif

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... It prompted District Judge Mr Shaiffudin Saruwan to retort in jest: 'I suggest you use a bicycle chain to tie yourself to a tree or you may lose yourself as well.' ...
u tink ppl gt moni, ppl wun go n buy a bicycle chain, meh? ... :rolleyes:

ppl wil even buy a golden bicycle chain sum mor! ... :rolleyes:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
other country, people give food, blanket etc to homeless people,.. here simplt stay away with them and yet fine them, chao ji by place!:oIo::oIo::oIo:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
why jail for 4 days only must jail for life so he will not be worry for his food, accomodation, health, and social life.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You should see Australia's cardboard cities of homeless people

You wont believe

same in japan . theres nothng wrong being homeless , why should singapore goverment push them so hard for being poor ? in japan ,there are many homeless japanese stay under some highway bridge or inside subway station .

why fine those poor ppl staying on the street ? does the goverment thinks that given them a choice , they like to sleep in tents ? :confused: guess singapore goverment is worry about their own image for those FT ?

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
same in japan . theres nothng wrong being homeless , why should singapore goverment push them so hard for being poor ? in japan ,there are many homeless japanese stay under some highway bridge or inside subway station .

why fine those poor ppl staying on the street ? does the goverment thinks that given them a choice , they like to sleep in tents ? :confused: guess singapore goverment is worry about their own image for those FT ?

Because LKY said that there are no beggars in Singapore. He already challenged you to show him the beggars and the homeless in Singapore. Are you calling him a liar? This man is very lucky to be jailed for only four days and not sued for millions for trying to cast aspersions on LKY's integrity.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Because LKY said that there are no beggars in Singapore. He already challenged you to show him the beggars and the homeless in Singapore. Are you calling him a liar? This man is very lucky to be jailed for only four days and not sued for millions for trying to cast aspersions on LKY's integrity.

LKY should say that he will not allow beggars to sleep on the street , instead of saying there are no beggars in the street . :wink:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
This insult is mandatory for giving free food and lodging for 4 days using the public's monies.

Judge's comments reminded me of the "if you can't make it or something, life will kick you in the balls or something." insult by a spoilt brat.

No compassion at all.

How can this be?