• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

Straight from SPH Brothel

This is called baiting. The intention is to elicit negative replies from simpletons and use that as fodder then write another article complaining about ungrateful singaporeans.

The fact that he went to University and learnt about Political systems and still ended up writing this, clearly shows a troll at work.

Don't reply to this prick.

Look at S'pore's bright side, not dark spots

It's a work in progress, this country that I'm proud to call 'home'

By Kor Kian Beng, Political Correspondent

LIKE most Singaporean men, the first time I felt real pride in being a Singaporean was during my national service. But my story came with a twist.

Two months into the basic military training course, and after an exhausting road march, my officer-commanding (OC) bundled the 240-plus of us recruits onto a hillside on Pulau Tekong.

In a booming voice, he instructed us to lie down on the grassy slopes and to shut our eyes. He also got the instructors to make sure we did.

I thought we were in for some rough treatment. After all, we were on Pulau Tekong, which my fellow commando trainees and I often referred to as Pulau Tekan (tekan in Malay meaning 'to press').

But after five minutes, the OC told us to open our eyes and take a good look at the Singapore mainland, which at that moment was literally glowing in the setting sun.

He said: 'Think of your parents and your siblings. They can sleep peacefully tonight because of you. Think of your friends too. They are the reasons why you have to train hard now.'

My heart swelled with pride when I heard those words. More than 10 years have passed since then. But I still remember that beautiful sunset vividly. I still remember the OC because of this incident. It was when I felt proud to be a son of Singapore.

It was also then that I understood the real meaning of the word 'homeland', and why there was nowhere else I would or could call home.

Yet, I have to confess that over the years after I left national service, there have been times when I was not that proud a Singaporean.

In my university years, as I studied about the different types of political systems in other countries, including some commonly deemed freer than Singapore's, I began to find fault with the dominant one-party system here.

Too stifling, too rigid, I thought, and not too beneficial for Singapore's long-term interests as its people become better educated and well-informed.

No, I wasn't besotted with Western-style democracy in which lofty ideals are placed above the common good of society. And while I could understand the need for a strong Government during Singapore's early years, I thought there should be more room for dissenting voices and opposing views. I still do today.

When I started working and had the opportunity to travel, I admired other countries for their social norms and natural advantages over Singapore.

I was particularly moved by the Thais' mindset of mai pen rai, which means 'no problem' in Thai. Singaporeans, I thought, could take a leaf from them and be less kiasu ('scared to lose' in colloquial Hokkien), kiasi (scared to die) and less unforgiving of others.

I also envied Australia for its laid-back lifestyle, and New Zealand for its stunning beauty and friendly people.

As a result of these travels, I began to view Singapore more as a place where one worked and earned money, not a place to sink my roots in.

A corporation? Yes. A homeland? Hardly. I even entertained the thought of migrating somewhere someday.

So I became critical of Singapore and could not care less when foreigners criticised it for being dull, small, too vulnerable or too undemocratic.

But something changed along the way, or rather when I turned 30.

One key factor: I realised that the grass was not always greener elsewhere. I saw the problems in the countries that I had once so admired. Thailand, for instance, is mired in long-running political unrest.

Second, I understood better that no matter how I try to assimilate into another country, I would always be considered an outsider. Not many countries welcome foreigners or understand the need for foreign talent like Singapore does.

Also, as my parents became older, and my siblings became parents themselves, it dawned on me that my family has benefited much from the stability found here. The turmoil and turbulence that plagued Singapore's growing years is now past.

Yes, my family was not rich, but we were not so poor that we had to worry about the next meal.

Also, we could have confidence in an education system that would prove to be an effective social leveller.

Thus, I know now that there are few places better for me to sink my roots in, though that doesn't mean I am not aware of areas in which Singapore can improve.

For example, I do think we could strike a better balance between attracting foreigners and retaining Singaporeans, but that's a topic for another day.

Some of my friends have gone through the same love-hate-love Singapore journey as I have.

A friend who is a self-professed Taiwan fan, said she thought seriously of moving there for good. But she now feels more for Singapore and migrating is not her top priority anymore.

As we celebrate National Day again, I can understand why there are people who feel little if not nothing for this country. It may take time for some to try and look at the bright side of Singapore, like I did.

Here are my suggestions to speed up the process.

First, count our blessings. It is always easy to criticise, but it takes more to be content. No doubt, Singapore needs to improve in some areas, but let us not forget that it is still a work in progress.

At least we have done well in many areas, such as in education and the economy. We have good schools, a clean living environment, relatively safe streets and a harmonious society of many races, religions and languages.

Second, defend Singapore. No, we don't literally have to bear arms to do that, but do speak up for Singapore when it is bashed unfairly by your foreigner friends or colleagues. Don't just sit back, but explain Singapore's unique way of doing things due to its limitations.

Third, do our part for this country in practical ways, be it joining a political party, a voluntary-welfare organisation or writing a column like I am doing.

If these don't work, here's a final suggestion: Go to a hilltop during sunset, take a good look at Singapore, and feel proud of this place you call home.

[email protected]

Porfirio Rubirosa

This one lagi best...i think this pap toadie is in the running together with lionel de souza:p

How do I love Singapore? Let me count the ways

I AM not about to mull over the question of patriotism, although my close friends think I am patriotic.

I love my country, because like me, my country loves clean fresh air. While many countries chop down trees and forests, my country's leaders had the foresight to plant trees well ahead, before the world understood global warming.

I love my country, because my children can have hopes and dreams here, they can aspire to be anything they want to be, whatever they strive to be.

My children will be judged only by their skills and talents, not by the colour of their skin.

I love my country, because this is where there is peace, and I can spend hours with my wife, just watching clouds pass by, the deep blue sky.

I love my country, because my father held my hand here, as we walked along the empty sandy beach of Changi, and I can do so with my own children now, while we watch the biggest plane in the world take off.

I love my country, because all of us on this small island know we are only a little red dot on Earth, but wherever we go, many are amazed at what we have achieved.

And because we are just four million people, with no natural resources, we will always strive for the best, at everything that we can achieve.

I do not know much about patriotism, though my close friends know me as a patriot.

But I do know one thing, for it is in this land where I was born, in this land where my family lives, it is this land to which my loved ones belong. In this land, where I can see my friends, who see me as their equal, even though we are of different colours, even though we have different religious beliefs.

And I do know one thing, when I see the Chinook helicopter carrying the Singapore flag, everything that made me who I am, and everything I truly love, is encompassed in that one flag, the flag of the country where I belong.

Syu Ying Kwok

true, we have all our feelings for the country...so do i..

but sgp would be much better off without the PAP as govt for so long...

we should have a swap between republicans and democrats once in a while...like USofA..

Leegimeremover

Multiple strategies put forward with high intensity creates so much incoherence that people just say F-off. We do not know what you are bitching. I am looking forward for 154th to hold 181th position in media freedom and media quality rankings. We are getting there. National tabloid and propaganda paper, we are going to get to the top.

SotongMee

Yeah, during the Singapore sunset, the IRs and the GL whorehouses light up...
while sinkies are in the army, the FTs are taking their jobs, their girl friends, and wating to selling their arses when sinkies book out of tekan island...

This is called baiting. The intention is to elicit negative replies from simpletons and use that as fodder then write another article complaining about ungrateful singaporeans.

The fact that he went to University and learnt about Political systems and still ended up writing this, clearly shows a troll at work.

Look at S'pore's bright side, not dark spots

It's a work in progress, this country that I'm proud to call 'home'

By Kor Kian Beng, Political Correspondent

LIKE most Singaporean men, the first time I felt real pride in being a Singaporean was during my national service. But my story came with a twist.

Two months into the basic military training course, and after an exhausting road march, my officer-commanding (OC) bundled the 240-plus of us recruits onto a hillside on Pulau Tekong.

In a booming voice, he instructed us to lie down on the grassy slopes and to shut our eyes. He also got the instructors to make sure we did.

I thought we were in for some rough treatment. After all, we were on Pulau Tekong, which my fellow commando trainees and I often referred to as Pulau Tekan (tekan in Malay meaning 'to press').

But after five minutes, the OC told us to open our eyes and take a good look at the Singapore mainland, which at that moment was literally glowing in the setting sun.

He said: 'Think of your parents and your siblings. They can sleep peacefully tonight because of you. Think of your friends too. They are the reasons why you have to train hard now.'

My heart swelled with pride when I heard those words. More than 10 years have passed since then. But I still remember that beautiful sunset vividly. I still remember the OC because of this incident. It was when I felt proud to be a son of Singapore.

It was also then that I understood the real meaning of the word 'homeland', and why there was nowhere else I would or could call home.

Yet, I have to confess that over the years after I left national service, there have been times when I was not that proud a Singaporean.

In my university years, as I studied about the different types of political systems in other countries, including some commonly deemed freer than Singapore's, I began to find fault with the dominant one-party system here.

Too stifling, too rigid, I thought, and not too beneficial for Singapore's long-term interests as its people become better educated and well-informed.

No, I wasn't besotted with Western-style democracy in which lofty ideals are placed above the common good of society. And while I could understand the need for a strong Government during Singapore's early years, I thought there should be more room for dissenting voices and opposing views. I still do today.

When I started working and had the opportunity to travel, I admired other countries for their social norms and natural advantages over Singapore.

I was particularly moved by the Thais' mindset of mai pen rai, which means 'no problem' in Thai. Singaporeans, I thought, could take a leaf from them and be less kiasu ('scared to lose' in colloquial Hokkien), kiasi (scared to die) and less unforgiving of others.

I also envied Australia for its laid-back lifestyle, and New Zealand for its stunning beauty and friendly people.

As a result of these travels, I began to view Singapore more as a place where one worked and earned money, not a place to sink my roots in.

A corporation? Yes. A homeland? Hardly. I even entertained the thought of migrating somewhere someday.

So I became critical of Singapore and could not care less when foreigners criticised it for being dull, small, too vulnerable or too undemocratic.

But something changed along the way, or rather when I turned 30.

One key factor: I realised that the grass was not always greener elsewhere. I saw the problems in the countries that I had once so admired. Thailand, for instance, is mired in long-running political unrest.

Second, I understood better that no matter how I try to assimilate into another country, I would always be considered an outsider. Not many countries welcome foreigners or understand the need for foreign talent like Singapore does.

Also, as my parents became older, and my siblings became parents themselves, it dawned on me that my family has benefited much from the stability found here. The turmoil and turbulence that plagued Singapore's growing years is now past.

Yes, my family was not rich, but we were not so poor that we had to worry about the next meal.

Also, we could have confidence in an education system that would prove to be an effective social leveller.

Thus, I know now that there are few places better for me to sink my roots in, though that doesn't mean I am not aware of areas in which Singapore can improve.

For example, I do think we could strike a better balance between attracting foreigners and retaining Singaporeans, but that's a topic for another day.

Some of my friends have gone through the same love-hate-love Singapore journey as I have.

A friend who is a self-professed Taiwan fan, said she thought seriously of moving there for good. But she now feels more for Singapore and migrating is not her top priority anymore.

As we celebrate National Day again, I can understand why there are people who feel little if not nothing for this country. It may take time for some to try and look at the bright side of Singapore, like I did.

Here are my suggestions to speed up the process.

First, count our blessings. It is always easy to criticise, but it takes more to be content. No doubt, Singapore needs to improve in some areas, but let us not forget that it is still a work in progress.

At least we have done well in many areas, such as in education and the economy. We have good schools, a clean living environment, relatively safe streets and a harmonious society of many races, religions and languages.

Second, defend Singapore. No, we don't literally have to bear arms to do that, but do speak up for Singapore when it is bashed unfairly by your foreigner friends or colleagues. Don't just sit back, but explain Singapore's unique way of doing things due to its limitations.

Third, do our part for this country in practical ways, be it joining a political party, a voluntary-welfare organisation or writing a column like I am doing.

If these don't work, here's a final suggestion: Go to a hilltop during sunset, take a good look at Singapore, and feel proud of this place you call home.

[email protected]

ahbengsong

one loves his country because it cares for him... but for pap singapore cares more for foreigners than citizens so... no pride, no loyalty and no dignity as a singaporean...

bro,

what ever happened to the tales? no more tales? :confused::confused::confused:

mscitw

Peasant Kian Beng sing praises of the regime.

When his son dies due to silly practices of the National Serfship, it will be interesting to see how this peasant behaves.

These chaps have no clue what nationhood and the features of a decent state are. Can puke on stuff like this.

This one lagi best...i think this pap toadie is in the running together with lionel de souza:p

How do I love Singapore? Let me count the ways

I AM not about to mull over the question of patriotism, although my close friends think I am patriotic.

[/B][/COLOR]

Sad but true.

Yeah, during the Singapore sunset, the IRs and the GL whorehouses light up...
while sinkies are in the army, the FTs are taking their jobs, their girl friends, and wating to selling their arses when sinkies book out of tekan island...

Do agree on national day articles which is becoming a clear trend. Sad when the press has to drum up patriotic article similar to the communist regimes of the past.

Saturdays used to be my favourite day until the 2 sisters from SPH killed it with their nauseating articles.

that is why I hate to read the papers or any articles during/around/regarding national day.