• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Howe Liang Receives $10,000

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought that they're going to pay him $500,000 (current Olympic silver medal going rate in Singapore) plus interests from 1960 to 2008. Sigh... Is that an award or an insult?

Olympic medallist Tan Howe Liang receives S$10,000 cash award
By Margaret Perry & Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 31 August 2008 2030 hrs
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width=20></TD><TD align=right width=240>
phpBz3NpD.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top height=60></TD><TD class=update vAlign=top height=60><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=138 bgColor=#f6f6f6>Photos </TD><TD width=47 bgColor=#f6f6f6>1 of 1</TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnPrev disabled onclick=Prev(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" value="<< Previous"></TD><TD width=19 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=bntPlay onclick=Play() type=image height=15 width=19 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" value="Play - Stop"></TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnNext disabled onclick=Next(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" value=" Next >> "></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
dotline_240.gif

Seah Kian Peng
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=update></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPORE: Singapore's silver medal win at the Beijing Olympics prompted celebrations across the island. At the same time, the nation's first Olympic medallist has not been forgotten.

Tan Howe Liang shared the stage and the spoils with Singapore's latest Olympic medallists at a celebration on Saturday. Like the three table tennis players – Feng Tianwei, Li Jiawei and Wang Yuegu – Mr Tan received a warm reception from the crowd, as well as a S$10,000 cheque from NTUC FairPrice.

Seah Kian Peng, managing director of NTUC FairPrice, said: "He continues to be a great inspiration to the entire sporting fraternity and to all Singaporeans. People like him are able to inspire people like us to try to do what we believe we can.

"He continues to be highlighted at each Olympics because he is a big inspiration, and he remains an active, humble person that everyone wants to help."

Mr Tan took silver for weightlifting in the 1960 Olympic Games – a first for Singapore. Back then, there were no cash reward schemes for sports excellence.

Since the women's table tennis team took the silver in Beijing and with it, a S$750,000 cash reward, there have been calls for Mr Tan to be rewarded as well for his trail-blazing feat 48 years ago.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said: "I am glad they did that, it's a good gesture and we remember him fondly because for 48 years, he was the one man who broke through and it has taken us a long time to equal his record."

As for Singapore's first Olympic hero, he declined to give a TV interview, but said he was grateful for the recognition and the cash gift.

- CNA/so

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought that they're going to pay him $500,000 (current Olympic silver medal going rate in Singapore) plus interests from 1960 to 2008. Sigh... Is that an award or an insult?

Olympic medallist Tan Howe Liang receives S$10,000 cash award
By Margaret Perry & Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 31 August 2008 2030 hrs
Looks like someone was asked to pay for his indiscretion. In the old days, when a tycoon was caught for tax evasion, he had to cough up money for a public project. He saves face, pocket got burnt and life goes on.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
It just proves sinkies are worth shit compare to FTrash. Cheap as cheap can be. Div 1 leadership gesture of reward for contribution to the country exemplified.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said: "I am glad they did that, it's a good gesture and we remember him fondly because for 48 years, he was the one man who broke through and it has taken us a long time to equal his record."

As for Singapore's first Olympic hero, he declined to give a TV interview, but said he was grateful for the recognition and the cash gift.

I think of course he declined interview. What's there to say? The so-called award, belated by 48 years, is worth only about two days of PM Lee's wages.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo, due rcognition alas huh!:p Looks like the power of the net did help to get the message across, reward size regardless.:p

Cheers.:biggrin:

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe they will send him to University, get a paper and "wayang, wayang" for political reasons...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If they paid him $10k 40 years ago, he would have invested a property in orchard road which worth millions now. For his $10K now, PAPaya would suck away twice the amount from him before the next election comes.

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they paid him $10k 40 years ago, he would have invested a property in orchard road which worth millions now. For his $10K now, PAPaya would suck away twice the amount from him before the next election comes.

Then he dun need to work as a cleaner for National Stadium Gym liao.

Actually, I pity him also. Nobody knows him until recent years when PAPaya start to import FT for olympic medals. :rolleyes:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then he dun need to work as a cleaner for National Stadium Gym liao.

Actually, I pity him also. Nobody knows him until recent years when PAPaya start to import FT for olympic medals. :rolleyes:

Glory never last huh!..:p. Well, welcome to the cruel reality..:p

Cheers.:biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

This goon should ask himself why there is no olympic medals by local born till now. The PRC silver IS NOT EQUAL in anyway to his record because he is local born and breed.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I read the headline for this, I ask myself!, what an insult!..had not the imorted FT table tennis won, anything, Tan Howe Liang would be just another forgotten person!.

He had been driving taxis! right!, shinning dumbbells? right! for years, and now he is in his 70's...and they gave hime $10,000???

Is this what we Singaporean men are worth?, just like the $100 from those GST credits etc..

what a joke!....for his achivement for the last 48 years ? or so!, he should be given a $100,000 cheque, a life time pension of $1,300, afterall, what lifetime has he got left!.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This goon should ask himself why there is no olympic medals by local born till now. The PRC silver IS NOT EQUAL in anyway to his record because he is local born and breed.

That goon, like you meantion is, a GOON!..GOONDHU!...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what a joke!....for his achivement for the last 48 years ? or so!, he should be given a $100,000 cheque, a life time pension of $1,300, afterall, what lifetime has he got left!.

Exactly... That is what inspiration is all about,

This is an example of using money to insult people. There is a Hong Kong show i remember that a cleaner guy who open the door for the mafia to enter his own car. It happens that the car stop near him. The mafia bodyguard took out a stack of notes and piece by piece slipped out from his hand to the floor for the cleaner to pick up. The cleaner still thank him profusely. ( while picking up the money from the floor). The next scene shows that the cleaner eating a packet of fried rice.

That is how mafia behave... but the Sinkie govt..????

Last edited: