• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious For those considering a teaching career, detailed FAQ about NIE and more

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
(i) I am actually quite confused with the Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) scheme. Does that mean selected candidates have to undergo 6 months of untrained contract teaching followed by another 16 months of training at NIE? Will candidates be financially compensated whilst going through those 6 months of untrained teaching?

If you're successfully selected, you will be posted to a school for contract teaching. This can range from 6 months to a year because if you're posted to schools after August, you would have missed the start of the PGDE in July. Note that the July 2016 PGDE intake is the last cohort which will last a single year; from December 2016 onward the training duration will be stretched to 16 months.(Consult the programme handbook compiled by NIE HERE)

You'll be paid based on the GEO 2 (Untrained) salary scale, depending on your class of honours.

Do note that your school principal will have the final say over whether you actually get to move on to NIE. Some contract teachers leave MOE because they have been found to be unsuitable for teaching or they simply wanted out.

(ii) Just wondering, do you actually have any say as in deciding where you wish to be posted after training? Say for example I'd like to teach in my alma mater JC, how do I go about getting there?

You can make a request to the Principal of your former JC, and if he agrees, he can submit a request to HQ. Deployment is ultimately dependent on manpower needs. To be honest, for your first posting, you've little or no say at all. But after you're in the school for at least 2 years, you can request for a transfer elsewhere. Anyway, from understanding the present situation, JCs are quite seriously lacking GP teachers. Other subject teachers such as those for Math or Science are in excess, as such they are being told to head over to teach secondary and even primary levels.

(iii) Is it possible to work as a teacher and take up gigs as a private tutor at the same time, ie moonlighting?

The current cap on giving private tuition is 6 hours. MOE is however reviewing the state of affairs, so it is uncertain how long this practice of allowing teachers to moonlight will last.

(iv) Is it generally difficult for an individual with a degree in fine arts from NAFA / Lasaelle and teaching art at the secondary level to receive remuneration on the GEO 1 salary scale? I personally feel the GEO 2 salary scale pays too little (one receives as much as merely an administrative assistant would, which is unjustified).

It is probably quite hard as the number of applicants typically exceeds the number of available vacancies. Priority will be given to those who have held managerial/professional level positions in reputable organizations.

More at http://www.domainofexperts.com/2017/03/faq-about-nie-training-and-beyond.html

and http://www.domainofexperts.com/2017/07/faq-about-nie-training-and-beyond-part-2.html