• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Iphone 7 and apple

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Iphone 7 and applying

Samsung called back Galaxy note S7
Will Samsung user shift to Apple phone?

Samsung made $$$ when they were copying Apple's designs.
After Apple sued them they tried to do it alone. Look at what happened with the note 7.

Maybe Samsung should go back to copying others:wink:

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal

After Apple sued them they tried to do it alone. Look at what happened with the note 7.

Investors protects company wow

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Investors protects company wow

In Korea Samsung is untouchable. Some of their worker have gotten ill e.g. cancer, from working there and yet Samsung can ignore them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...215420-3de1-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_story.html

In S. Korea, the Republic of Samsung

SEOUL — So sprawling is Samsung’s modern-day empire that some South Koreans say it has become possible to live a Samsung-only life: You can use a Samsung credit card to buy a Samsung TV for the living room of your Samsung-made apartment on which you’ll watch the Samsung-owned pro baseball team.

Samsung is South Korea’s greatest economic success, and, more recently, the subject of major controversy. Economists, owners of small- and medium-size businesses, and some politicians say Samsung no longer merely powers the country but overpowers it, wielding influence that nearly matches that of the government.

Debate over how to curb the size and power of Samsung and other family-run conglomerates has become the key issue in South Korea’s Dec. 19 presidential election, with polls showing that about three in four voters say they feel negatively about the country’s few behemoth businesses. Candidates are sparring over how far to go to constrain them.

Samsung draws the greatest scrutiny because it is by far the largest chaebol — the Korean term for corporate groups that were jump-started with government support — and because it is wildly prosperous as the rest of the economy slows down. The conglomerate contributes roughly a fifth of South Korea’s gross domestic product.

Some Koreans call the country “The Republic of Samsung.”
Samsung exports soar (The Washington Post/Samsung)

Famous globally for its electronics, Samsung would be one of the largest conglomerates in almost any country. But within its tiny home country, the size of Virginia, it acts more as a do*-everything monolith, building roads and oil rigs, operating hotels and amusement parks, selling insurance, making not only the world’s best-selling smartphone, the Galaxy, but also selling key components to Apple for the iPhone — even as the two battle in a series of lawsuits.

In its domestic market, Samsung is far ahead of Apple. Only one in 10 South Korean smartphone users has an iPhone. (Samsung holds about 33 percent of the global smartphone market, while Apple accounts for about 17 percent. In the United States, Apple controls 34.3 percent of the smartphone market. )

Critics say Samsung elbows into new industries, knocking out smaller businesses, limiting choices for Korean consumers and sometimes colluding with fellow giants to fix prices while bullying those who investigate. They also see in Samsung the picture of closed-door wealth, a family affair in which Chairman Lee Kun-hee is passing power to his son.

“You can even say the Samsung chairman is more powerful than the South Korean president,” said Woo Suk-hoon, host of a popular economics podcast. “Korean people have come to think of Samsung as invincible and above the law.”
A reversal of opinion

That sentiment has intensified in recent years, a period during which Samsung has obstructed price-fixing investigations — drawing only minor fines — and seen its chairman indicted for financial crimes, only to receive a presidential pardon “in the national interest,” as a government spokesman put it.

South Korea ranks poorly among democratized countries in corruption rankings, and the traditionally cozy ties between government and the biggest companies were widely seen as the enabler of the country’s economic rise.

But Lee’s pardon, in late 2009, helped lead to a reversal in thinking. It came at a time when President Lee Myung-bak — a former chaebol man who has kept policies in their favor during his five-year term — was pushing South Korea’s bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

The president thought the Samsung chairman, a member of the International Olympic Committee, could help. Once his record was cleared, Lee in 2010 took 11 trips worldwide while working for the bid. The town of Pyeongchang eventually won the rights to host the Games — a $20 billion boon for the economy, according to one research institute’s forecast. Though South Koreans rejoiced over the selection, announced in July 2011, the IOC’s choice did little to soften most citizens’ negative opinion about Lee’s pardoning.

South Korea’s leading presidential candidates say the country has been far too lenient in how it treats its richest men. Chaebol executives who commit crimes should be punished harshly, they all say, with no chance for such redemption.

The leading candidates say South Korea should prevent conglomerates, Samsung included, from weaving their various companies together in what’s known here as “cross-shareholding,” a controversial ownership structure in which a family concentrates its shares in a few core companies, then passes investment to other affiliates within the group. The arrangement allows families to control a broad range of businesses, even those in which they hold few, if any, shares.

Though there is broad agreement about some reforms, the level of concern about chaebol differs across party lines. The position of conservative candidate Park Geun-hye is that the conglomerates are merely unruly — a notable view in itself, given that Park belongs to Lee Myung-bak’s pro-business ruling party, and that her father — dictator Park Chung-hee — built the chaebol system after taking power in a military coup in 1961. Park Geun-hye said recently that chaebols often steal technology from smaller innovators and force unfair pricing on suppliers.

“In the economic area, we have emphasized the concept of efficiency, and in some sense, we haven’t paid enough attention to the concept of fairness,” she said.

But the opinion on the far left is that chaebols, particularly Samsung, hold a dangerous level of influence. That viewpoint caught traction after a former Samsung counsel, in 2007, accused the conglomerate of systematically distributing money from a slush fund to influential figures. In the ensuing probe, a special investigator found no evidence of bribery but did uncover the financial crimes for which Lee, the chairman, was later pardoned.

“Samsung has the government in its hands,” Lee Jung-hee, a liberal presidential candidate with virtually no chance of winning, said in a nationally televised debate Tuesday. “Samsung manages the legal world, the press, the academics and bureaucracy.”

Driven to evolve

Samsung, which began in 1938 by exporting vegetables and dried Korean fish, became a budding power after an alliance was forged between its founder, Lee Byung-chull, and the military dictator, Park, who controlled the country’s banks and determined who got loans.

But the conglomerate thrives now in part because it makes good products — an important point for South Koreans, who are deeply competitive and see in Samsung some of the traits they want for themselves: ambition, speed, and the ability to adapt and stay on top.

A majority of chaebols haven’t survived. Fourteen of South Korea’s 30 largest companies were wiped out during the 1997 Asian financial crisis.

But Samsung has been steadily growing for decades. It operates 79 subsidiaries, more than twice what it did 25 years ago. Its size relative to South Korea’s economy has also grown: The conglomerate accounts for 28 percent of the nation’s exports, twice its share in 1987.

A powerful Samsung is healthy for the country, corporate spokesman Kevin Cho said, because it makes “major contributions to Korea’s exports, tax revenue and employment.” Cho also emphasized that Samsung is a global player, not a just a domestic one. In 2011, 84 percent of its electronics revenue was generated outside Korea.

Samsung has prospered on the strength of its electronics company, which has made a decade-long run of smart bets on tiny batteries, low-cost flat-panel TVs and smartphones. While Japanese companies fixated on ornamental and pricey home electronics, Samsung purchased proven technology and quickly began producing cheaper — and high-quality — versions. In the case of smartphones, such a strategy has led to a global patent war with Apple, Samsung’s top competitor. But it has also turned Samsung, once a non-factor in the mobile phone market, into the world’s leading producer in three years.

The Samsung Group makes a point of never doing any one thing for too long, and Lee Kun-hee says frequently that his employees should feel a sense of permanent crisis. Even in its glossy corporate profile, Samsung sounds alarmist. “The positions we currently hold will be obsolete and untenable 10 years from now,” Samsung says. “Across global business, attachment to laurels is folly.” The group is investing billions in green technology, medical equipment and pharmaceuticals.

Samsung is a “survivor” of competition, said Lee Cheol-haeng, head of the corporate policy team at the Federation of Korean Industries, which lobbies for large-size businesses.

“Many Koreans right now have dual minds about chaebols,” Lee added. “They say, ‘I hate chaebols, but I want my son to work for one.’ ”

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Samsung has their share of diehard users who swear by the product, even it explodes in their face...if you take public transport, you can mentally classify the people using their smartphones....here, most the " wah lau, eh, simi lan car pager" ah beng....& the " yah lor, got one meh!" ah lian...mostly uses SAMSUNG.....

Other than my iPhone....I do have a standby phone Samsung S3.....as a backup to make calls, text, whastapp & not for the other apps, especially banking ones, I never will use it on the Samsung.....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Samsung has their share of diehard users who swear by the product, even it explodes in their face...if you take public transport, you can mentally classify the people using their smartphones....here, most the " wah lau, eh, simi lan car pager" ah beng....& the " yah lor, got one meh!" ah lian...mostly uses SAMSUNG.....

Other than my iPhone....I do have a standby phone Samsung S3.....as a backup to make calls, text, whastapp & not for the other apps, especially banking ones, I never will use it on the Samsung.....

I think it's a case of not enough $ rather than loyalty to Samsung.

When it comes to making payments for buying shares, air tickets, Amazon purchases, ... I use my Macbook. I use my PC for non-critical stuff like reading news groups, games, torrenting, ...

When Travelling I will use my iPad with VPN turned on when buying air tixes online.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
When will nokia come up with a symbian replacement with keypad? Whatsapp will stop supporting my nokia end of the year.will miss the keypad.blackberry os will suffer same fate so cannot migrate to that phone either.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think it's a case of not enough $ rather than loyalty to Samsung.

When it comes to making payments for buying shares, air tickets, Amazon purchases, ... I use my Macbook. I use my PC for non-critical stuff like reading news groups, games, torrenting, ...

When Travelling I will use my iPad with VPN turned on when buying air tixes online.

I have junked Windows & my entire family members have junked windows too, after being held "hostage" by their crappy OS plus their collaboration with their manufacturers producing crappy PC's & Notebooks, that once it go pass warrant period..it will show signs of decay in OS then Hardware....we have gone through a long list of brands..for e.g. Compaq ....etc..Taiwanese ones etc..

enough is enough... I do my banking using my iPhone, Macbook pro...reading ebook was usually done on the iPhone or iPad & found that distracting....I don't want to read a book & get bother, with notifications, calls etc... so I went back to my Kindle & is getting a newer version this Christmas - the paper white one..for reading when I am travelling...my songs are loaded on iPad mini...

I don't do bit torrent...I use ti have an iPad for travelling I found out it has its limitation on the cellular support, I am researching if I should get one of the samsung pads with cellular support where I can put it another sim card for maps etc..finding places...etc...

I said goodbye to Microsoft & never looked back...I am only using Microsoft Office...I use to have the Office 365, & I let it expire & never renewed...I still rathe pay for a buy once software & have unlimited usage without having to worry about the subscription ending....I am using Mac office 2011....

Other than that....all shitty Microsoft products have been removed from the house...into the bin.....pointing devices like the mouse etc....& have Switch to a Mac & never looked back....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When will nokia come up with a symbian replacement with keypad? Whatsapp will stop supporting my nokia end of the year.will miss the keypad.blackberry os will suffer same fate so cannot migrate to that phone either.

You still waiting on Nokia?
That's like waiting for British empire to come back re colonize Sg....
Sorry to break it to you son.....but that boat sailed long ago

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have junked Windows & my entire family members have junked windows too, after being held "hostage" by their crappy OS plus their collaboration with their manufacturers producing crappy PC's & Notebooks, that once it go pass warrant period..it will show signs of decay in OS then Hardware....we have gone through a long list of brands..for e.g. Compaq ....etc..Taiwanese ones etc..

enough is enough... I do my banking using my iPhone, Macbook pro...reading ebook was usually done on the iPhone or iPad & found that distracting....I don't want to read a book & get bother, with notifications, calls etc... so I went back to my Kindle & is getting a newer version this Christmas - the paper white one..for reading when I am travelling...my songs are loaded on iPad mini...

I don't do bit torrent...I use ti have an iPad for travelling I found out it has its limitation on the cellular support, I am researching if I should get one of the samsung pads with cellular support where I can put it another sim card for maps etc..finding places...etc...

I said goodbye to Microsoft & never looked back...I am only using Microsoft Office...I use to have the Office 365, & I let it expire & never renewed...I still rathe pay for a buy once software & have unlimited usage without having to worry about the subscription ending....I am using Mac office 2011....

Other than that....all shitty Microsoft products have been removed from the house...into the bin.....pointing devices like the mouse etc....& have Switch to a Mac & never looked back....

I build my own desktop PC & use the best parts I can find e.g. platinum power supplies with 7 year warranty, i7 processors, corsair memory,.... It would also be a pity to throw away my $900 Dell monitors.

I've got all sorts of stuff I've torrented: cook books, paper backs, magazines, movies,... I already own some of the same DVDs, but it is more convenient to have copies of them in my PC. Also have some classic movies that are not available in Spore because many of the stores only carry current titles.

My PC is also connected to a decent sound system. So I use it as a media centre
The only applications I have are Firefox,Kodi. VLC,... freeware that I need to open movies, PDFs, comics, ...

I've got Apache Open Office load on my Mac. I use it because it's free :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Read some where that in future Nokia may be adopting android in the future.