• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kirsten Han is taking down Dr Chee with her feminist powers

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue with Kirsten is that she does not think before she acts. She has been treated as a loose cannon for quite sometime. By her actions, she would know that Murali and the PAP would enjoy the fruits of her act. Why now plead with the PAP for leniency?
hahaha....truly an empty vessel speaking with forked tongue again.....
who is the idiot who keep taking pot shots at CSJ and insisting that PAT is a better candidate; etc...etc...
surely u should also know that Murali and papee would enjoy the fruits of your acts also....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually why she need to highlight what she does not agree with CSJ? No need to say unless people asking her. Of course no one will agree everything with another person. This kind of thing must say one meh ? Just like you no need to say you are not a saint becos no one is a saint. Lol.

https://www.facebook.com/kixes/posts/503923034243

There seems to be a widespread belief in Singapore that if you support (or even just prefer) a particular political party you have to endorse everything they say and do wholeheartedly.

People expect me to support Chee Soon Juan. In fact there are people out there who assume, and even insist, that I am a member/affiliate of SDP, and therefore some sort of representative of their positions, when I have never been (and don't intend to be) a member of any political party, and don't represent any of them.

I have a lot of respect for Dr Chee. We have had good conversations. He has a lovely family who came out to support our campaign for Yong Vui Kong in 2010, when I was just starting out in anti-death penalty activism. In my personal interaction with Dr Chee and his wife they have always been patient, compassionate and committed to their cause. And yes, when it comes to a choice between a PAP candidate and Dr Chee, I would say that a vote for Dr Chee would have more impact on Parliament and our desperate need for more robust debate.

But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with or support everything Dr Chee or the SDP says or does. I did not agree with their fielding of conservative candidates who did not support LGBT equality in GE2015; it was a slap in the face to SDP's position on human rights and also to all the LGBT Singaporeans who have supported them for years because of an understanding that the party would stand by them. I do not agree with some of their positions on immigration. And I certainly do not agree with how Dr Chee characterised the April detentions of Bangladeshi migrant workers as an immigration issue rather than about the ISA, even though that piece of opaque, unchecked legislation was precisely what was used against the workers (and a number of SDP members and supporters too).

Yes, the playing field is horrendously skewed. Yes, opposition politicians fight a long, uphill battle. And yes, I am willing to cut them *some* slack for that.

But if they want to be our elected representatives, then what they say and what policies they propose need to be held to a high standard. We shouldn't be handing out free passes, or assuming that all their supporters should slavishly agree with everything they say and do. Disagreement, even with someone you might generally agree with, is part of the democratic process.

I believe Dr Chee understands that. It's important that all Singaporeans do too.