• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Government will continue to help Malay community in Singapore - Questions to be asked

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I have been reading news like this year in year out and each time I have many questions. This time I'll like to post some of these questions I have and perhaps we can discuss

1. Why does this community require special help year after year?

2. Its been 48 years of nation has this community not reach a certain standard where it does not require help anymore?

3. When will this community reach the standard where it does not require help?

4. Are there any thing that Singaporeans outside this community could do to accelerate the elevation of this community's standard of living instead of letting the government to help which could be slow and ineffective.

5. After so many years can this community be helped at all?

6. Has there been a study done or evaluation on the effectiveness of help from the government and or even from the rich within their community.

Government will continue to help Malay community in Singapore

789 get $1.2m worth of bursaries; Shanmugam urges support for community in tackling concerns
By Feng Zengkun

The Government is committed to helping the Malay community in Singapore, Law and Foreign Minister K. Shanmugam said yesterday.

He was speaking as the guest of honour at a ceremony which gave out $1.2 million worth of bursaries to 789 students yesterday.

The annual event, which was held at ITE College Central this year, is organised by the Prophet Muhammad's Birthday Memorial Scholarship Fund Board, which has been giving out bursaries and scholarships to needy students of all races since 1965.

Mr Shanmugam said the group's work has helped the Malay community make strides in the past decade. He pointed out how last year, about nine in 10 Malay pupils who attended Primary 1 were admitted to post-secondary institutions, compared with about eight in 10 in 2003.

He also highlighted the accomplishments of Mr Adil Hakeem Mohamad Rafee, who made history last year when he became the first Malay in 44 years to be awarded the President's Scholarship, Singapore's most prestigious undergraduate award.

However, Mr Shanmugam said there was still cause for concern, including the small portion of pupils who do not pass the PSLE, and the divorce and drug abuse rates within the community.
He added that the Government, non-government groups, the Malay community as well as society in general have to pull together to tackle these issues.

"The Government has a laser-like focus to try and help the Malay community," he said, citing how the Government has a Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, and instituted the Mosque Building and Mendaki Fund.

He revealed that other communities had questioned why they did not receive the same provisions.
"We've always taken the position that there are reasons why the Government gives additional support to the Malay community, and we will continue to give that, and please don't ask for equality. And they have accepted it."

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Government will continue to help Malay community in Singapore - Questions to be a

Geopolitical considerations.

Malays are the so-called 'native firstborn' in Singapore.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Government will continue to help Malay community in Singapore - Questions to be a

The Government should not help any race in particular, but rather help those we are really in need of help.

Some Malays are doing well and there is no need to help them. Similarly, some Chinese and Indians really need help.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have been reading news like this year in year out and each time I have many questions. This time I'll like to post some of these questions I have and perhaps we can discuss

2. Its been 48 years of nation has this community not reach a certain standard where it does not require help anymore?

3. When will this community reach the standard where it does not require help?

4. Are there any thing that Singaporeans outside this community could do to accelerate the elevation of this community's standard of living instead of letting the government to help which could be slow and ineffective.

5. After so many years can this community be helped at all?

6. Has there been a study done or evaluation on the effectiveness of help from the government and or even from the rich within their community.

Government will continue to help Malay community in Singapore

789 get $1.2m worth of bursaries; Shanmugam urges support for community in tackling concerns
By Feng Zengkun

The Government is committed to helping the Malay community in Singapore, Law and Foreign Minister K. Shanmugam said yesterday.

He was speaking as the guest of honour at a ceremony which gave out $1.2 million worth of bursaries to 789 students yesterday.

The annual event, which was held at ITE College Central this year, is organised by the Prophet Muhammad's Birthday Memorial Scholarship Fund Board, which has been giving out bursaries and scholarships to needy students of all races since 1965.

Mr Shanmugam said the group's work has helped the Malay community make strides in the past decade. He pointed out how last year, about nine in 10 Malay pupils who attended Primary 1 were admitted to post-secondary institutions, compared with about eight in 10 in 2003.

He also highlighted the accomplishments of Mr Adil Hakeem Mohamad Rafee, who made history last year when he became the first Malay in 44 years to be awarded the President's Scholarship, Singapore's most prestigious undergraduate award.

However, Mr Shanmugam said there was still cause for concern, including the small portion of pupils who do not pass the PSLE, and the divorce and drug abuse rates within the community.
He added that the Government, non-government groups, the Malay community as well as society in general have to pull together to tackle these issues.

"The Government has a laser-like focus to try and help the Malay community," he said, citing how the Government has a Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, and instituted the Mosque Building and Mendaki Fund.

He revealed that other communities had questioned why they did not receive the same provisions.
"We've always taken the position that there are reasons why the Government gives additional support to the Malay community, and we will continue to give that, and please don't ask for equality. And they have accepted it."

NO doubt about it........... very valid questions.

My observation n encounter:

The mosque in Siglap used to hv only one or two cars parked laong MP road every friday 10 yrs ago. Now the motor vehcles stretched to more than a kilometer.... also despite illegal parking none were issued tickets whereas on couple of occassions I was slapped with $50 fine.

At Bedok camp food centre an arrogant n proud stall holder selling ikan bakar arrongantly told me that I was parking at her lot!!!!???!!! And to rub salt in the wound she even took photo of my car with her expensive mobile phone........ AND I noticed she was driving a new SuV - bigger n better than my car.

SO WHY IS HELP STILL NEEDED? I dun see bitch like her helping her own kind? Another farked up PAP policy of buying votes as melayu voters are pro PAP!!

Also are there NO poor Chinese (SINDA also helping Ah Nehs...)

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Government should not help any race in particular, but rather help those we are really in need of help.

Some Malays are doing well and there is no need to help them. Similarly, some Chinese and Indians really need help.

Yaacock Ibrahim has special privilege holding malay/muslm only party in the Istana......... WhY? What so special about this group/person?

When the same idiot brushed off the flash flood as a once in 50 yrs phnomenen he need to to be saved by LKY n later LHL after a few more floods happened much less that 5 years.He was re-posted to a sa job.. Do we need to pay such idiot so much money for such poor performance and whose sons are NOT sg citixens.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Geopolitical considerations.

Malays are the so-called 'native firstborn' in Singapore.

We are quite near to China or India................. n also Pinoyland for the emeging pinoy citizens in Pasar Ris
Also enclaves or Burmese, Cambodians which our ST is keeping mum

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal

the malay self help group,NGOs etc are highly over stretched and over whelmed, if malu minister would ask for outside-malay help (taoist,buddhist,christians,pagans?etc) silver bullet is awaiting.... but wait, PAP 's critical votes at risk...jus keep them above waters, they should say

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

So finally are these people "helpable" meaning can they be helped at all? Or could it be that they are beyond help and will continue to need help forever then what should this country do with these people who only take and not contribute? Their problems in the past with drugs, teen pregnancy, broken family etc etc has anyone in the government done any statistical study if these issues had improved or continue to be the same or worst?