• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COE Price discussion.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
bros. i have been thinking why the COE for cars only can last 10 years? why not 15 years?
Dun tell me modern cars are only manufactured to last for 10 years only?
or is it the government want to suck more $$$ from us?
make no sense to me why the COE only last for 10 years.

if they can extend to 15-20 years then some people dont have to buy new car so often right?
then government wont have to complain so many cars, right?

discuss please.

Alfrescian
Loyal
bros. i have been thinking why the COE for cars only can last 10 years? why not 15 years?

I fully agree with you! 15 years is more reasonable :smile: Gahman want $$$ and more $$$ lah...... they allow you to extend for another 10 years but you have to pay through your nose and more got to pay double road tax and insurance premium :mad:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
twelve years lagi better lah then you can tie in with zodiac sign

" your car what year hah?"
" my car pig year lah, this year seven years already!"

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if they can extend to 15-20 years then some people dont have to buy new car so often right?

discuss please.

Because Hole Jinx needs more money to punt. :biggrin:
Mamager, having 1 new car or 1 old car on the road is still 1 car. :biggrin:

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me, if possible, the gahment would want it to be 12 months tenure for COE.:biggrin:

Yes fully agreed.

The COE is just a piece of paper that generates no economic value nor any discernable economic activity. At the end of 10 years it just becomes worthless - disappears!!!. In the meantime, what happens to the $90,000 or $100,00 paid by car owners upfront? Masok? masok? mana, mana? siapa tahu?

Correct me if I am wrong - indeed if a car owner is to scrap his car early, he is not even entitled to get back his balance of original hard cash he paid. In exchange, he only gets another piece of worthless certificate (and with expiry date) that enables him to offset the COE price against the next car he purchases. To see any of his hard cash, he has to have this worthless paper sold to a dealer or another car buyer, at a discount!!!

Now, where else in the world can you find such a golden money tree like the COE? :(.

The original inventor of the COE, most likely a scholar in LTA, must now be cursing and swearing for not patenting this C O E. :smile:

Sakura

So what if you are right. They won't change their minds. It's the money they have always wanted, they don't care about your safety or being eco by extending the cars lifespans.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
COEs must be doing the economy good. Nowhere else have I seen such a high concentration of Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, BMs, Benzes, SUVs, and other expensive high-end street cars.

Cheers!

Pentel

COEs must be doing the economy good. Nowhere else have I seen such a high concentration of Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, BMs, Benzes, SUVs, and other expensive high-end street cars.

But that is still a minority among the minority who own cars. This is bad for businesses.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
wow.. lidat this gagment sure is sucking our blood and money..

they very the "kan".. give low tax, but earn a hundred fold from COE and ERP
typical example of left hand give, right hand take everything back. agree?

i wonder why opposition neber voice up wan..
tell the government to increase the COE to 15 years please. :smile:

Believe me, if possible, the gahment would want it to be 12 months tenure for COE.:biggrin:

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
COE whether is 10, 15 or 20 yrs make not difference... Currently if your car is 10 yrs old. You can choose to extend it another 5 or 10 yrs. What you need to do is pay another 5 or 10 yrs COE. The cost is base on last 3 COE biding divided by 3. Therefore you can see a few old cars in Singapore.

Currently the number of COE for biding is base on those car which is scraped, if they are going to just free extension of 5 yrs, there will be no more new car coming out the next 5 yrs.

The problem is there are lot of rich people in Singapore that own numbers of cars. The biding system favor the rich and that also bring more tax to the government that is why the government do not want to change the biding system until there is lots of noise from the peoples. They say they will modify the system. Let see what they can come out with. :mad:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
But that is still a minority among the minority who own cars. This is bad for businesses.

Overall. Sg's businesses show no slowdown. Just peek into the restaurants - full during lunch/dinner times, retail malls - crowded with consumers, sale or no sales, holiday vacation packages - got to book in advance, otherwise no space. Best of all - look at the job demand - Saturday's papers has one whole section (quite thick) job adverts - you don't see this in many big cities the rest of the world. And how many places in the world where you find working class families employing domestic maids? There is almost no reason to see the economy is in bad shape here. Coming back to cars - in Sg, the cars are all almost new, shiny, and in good operational shape, unlike old junks seen in some developed countries. Although I wouldn't attribute Sg's economic vibrancy to her rulers, it is still in good shape, for now.

Cheers!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't for a minute think a 15-year or 20-year COE will cost the same as a 10-year COE. A 60-year leasehold property vs a 99-year leasehold property vs a freehold property is a very good analogy for comparison.

If you have to pay for an extended COE period, why would you want to pay for it upfront, 10 years ahead in fact and give yourself a bigger hurdle to clear at the start? Even if you intend to sell your car after, say 10 years, whether you can recover your COE on your sale is uncertain. There are too many years for policy to change and market condition at the point of sale could be bad which means you would have to sell below cost. Why put yourself at this risk?

The COE system is not cast in stone. Definitely if it is going to increase crazily each year, sooner or later, it will end up with a need to tweak the system e.g. Increasing road tax or other forms of usage taxes. More people would get angry if they were to be caught on the wrong side wrt COE. Don't think the govt will want to risk that.

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
discuss please.

no logic in this statement. you extend COE to 100 years, the number of cars on the road still as many as before.

our MOE school system has really failed Singapore.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

discuss please.

Wah... are you a new immigrant? Everybody knows COE is a money-making tool.