• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

young female hawker sinkie proud to be a hawker

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Joe and bros that live in the west i am sure you must have seen her before at ABC market in alexander.

Her facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.huang.50

13728909_0.JPG

Proud to be a hawker | TODAYonline

SINGAPORE — Some of her peers shunned her, while customers wondered if she was a “problem” child — all because Ms Elizabeth Huang, then 22, was working as a hawker.

Ms Huang, who was running a Western food stall at Redhill Lane Market, recalled a conversation between two women: “One of them actually said, ‘Maybe this little girl got problem. Maybe this little girl didn’t study a lot. That’s why she’s in the market’.”

“It’s not nice when you judge people like that,” said Ms Huang. The 24-year-old is one of eight young hawkers featured in Youth Hawkerprise, an initiative by four undergraduates to encourage youth to enter the hawker business.

She hopes to share her experience and challenge stereotypes faced by hawkers, especially young hawkers.

“I get people who refuse to talk to you just because you’re a hawker. People of the same age!” said Ms Huang, who currently helps out at her parents’ Western food stall at ABC Brickworks Food Centre. She shut down her stall last year to pursue a part-time diploma in legal studies.

Ms Huang, who is the eldest of three sisters, dropped out of school at Secondary 4. “Money wasn’t easy to come by, so I wanted to work when I was really young,” she said. She then set up her Redhill Lane Market stall six years later, having gained experience from helping out her parents at their stall.

The work is back-breaking and far from glamorous, she shared. “You get home oily, smelling like chicken chop. You don’t get to do nice manicures. You don’t get to dress up ... It was really tough. There were times I would just half-squat in the shop and cry.”

As a young boss, she faced difficulty getting her employees to listen to her. Sometimes, they simply refused to turn up for work.

Still, the work was rewarding when customers praised her food. “I can’t explain the joy that I have,” said Ms Huang delightedly of the memory.

After two years of being a boss, her parents told Ms Huang she had matured into a stronger, more independent woman. And perhaps, the best thing that came out of her venture was that one of her customers eventually became Ms Huang’s husband.

To young people, she said: “The choice is yours. Take pride in what you’re doing … Don’t be afraid. Just chiong (go for it) all the way! Chiong as much as you can, because you are young.”

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Na never seen her before anyway never like western food in hawker centres.

I think she's just over sensitive and talking cock. I cannot imagine anyone of us who will shun away from a hawker friend. That's absolute nonsense. Trying to make herself look good.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyday smell oily smoke is bad for health.

One uncle who operated such kinds of stall later kena cancer and mati early.

I felt very sad because I ordered steaks and chicken chop quite often from him.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think she's just over sensitive and talking cock. I cannot imagine anyone of us who will shun away from a hawker friend. That's absolute nonsense. Trying to make herself look good.

this one totally agree with you. talk cock! gotta respect hawkers for their hard work and some of them are making big money man!!! will talk to hawkers especially the swt and the chio ones. :biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Everyday smell oily smoke is bad for health.

One uncle who operated such kinds of stall later kena cancer and mati early.

I felt very sad because I ordered steaks and chicken chop quite often from him.

That is what happen when your life revolved around meat eating, you will see early death and things like that.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe its her frens of her age group that shun her,,I had a fren who at one time was running a hawker stall,,,and a mother and kid was at his stall,,,the kid was about to speak to him in English when his mother told him,,'Ah Boy dont speak to uncle in English,,uncle uneducated that why he is hawker',,many singaporeans are this sort of 'dog eyes look down on people type' and they dont know that many hawkers are rich,,drive luxury cars etc cos they are in a cash business,,,and are successful in what they do,,,

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe its her frens of her age group that shun her,,I had a fren who at one time was running a hawker stall,,,and a mother and kid was at his stall,,,the kid was about to speak to him in English when his mother told him,,'Ah Boy dont speak to uncle in English,,uncle uneducated that why he is hawker',,many singaporeans are this sort of 'dog eyes look down on people type' and they dont know that many hawkers are rich,,drive luxury cars etc cos they are in a cash business,,,and are successful in what they do,,,

that mother must be a frog in the well. almost all singaporean has at least 10 years of basic education.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
there are many pretty young hawkers around
some are singaporeans
some are malaysians
quite a number are china nationals who become prs...
some vietnamese, some thais and even myanmars
the vietnamese are most daring with their assets - no shy one
quite sexy, revealing and chio in many ways
i like to patronise their stalls and talk to them - increase my appetite
good for singapore - the genetic mix is getting better!!!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Now you know why the above article was published....to make an opening for this...

Lee Hsien Loong
Hawker centres form an important part of our social landscape, and are pleasant communal spaces where families and friends come together to enjoy cheap and tasty meals.

The Government will build 10 new hawker centres over the next few years. This will create more opportunities for young people with an interest in cooking to become “hawker-preneurs”. A group of four Nanyang Technological University students recently launched a photo exhibition to encourage young people to do this. It features eight talented youths (seven of whom are in this photo) who have found joy and success by this route. May they inspire more to start their own hawker stalls, and develop even more delicious and iconic Singaporean hawker fare! – LHL

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now you know why the above article was published....to make an opening for this...

and chance for stalls rentals to remain high or go higher- it is big business now and not humble low barrier entry for people to earn honest living. unless govt give grants for hawker-preneurs!

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
She can start wearing wet T-shirt to attract customers!

Don't care what others think... Count the profit at the end of the day and enjoy it...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We wait till end of the day when she is busy and sweating...maybe can see something.

She can start wearing wet T-shirt to attract customers!

Don't care what others think... Count the profit at the end of the day and enjoy it...

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkie girl proud to be a Hawker

484882_10151254790407572_1455933578_n.jpg

Her facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.huang.50

SINGAPORE — Some of her peers shunned her, while customers wondered if she was a “problem” child — all because Ms Elizabeth Huang, then 22, was working as a hawker.

Ms Huang, who was running a Western food stall at Redhill Lane Market, recalled a conversation between two women: “One of them actually said, ‘Maybe this little girl got problem. Maybe this little girl didn’t study a lot. That’s why she’s in the market’.”

“It’s not nice when you judge people like that,” said Ms Huang. The 24-year-old is one of eight young hawkers featured in Youth Hawkerprise, an initiative by four undergraduates to encourage youth to enter the hawker business.

She hopes to share her experience and challenge stereotypes faced by hawkers, especially young hawkers.

“I get people who refuse to talk to you just because you’re a hawker. People of the same age!” said Ms Huang, who currently helps out at her parents’ Western food stall at ABC Brickworks Food Centre. She shut down her stall last year to pursue a part-time diploma in legal studies.

Ms Huang, who is the eldest of three sisters, dropped out of school at Secondary 4. “Money wasn’t easy to come by, so I wanted to work when I was really young,” she said. She then set up her Redhill Lane Market stall six years later, having gained experience from helping out her parents at their stall.

The work is back-breaking and far from glamorous, she shared. “You get home oily, smelling like chicken chop. You don’t get to do nice manicures. You don’t get to dress up ... It was really tough. There were times I would just half-squat in the shop and cry.”

As a young boss, she faced difficulty getting her employees to listen to her. Sometimes, they simply refused to turn up for work.

Still, the work was rewarding when customers praised her food. “I can’t explain the joy that I have,” said Ms Huang delightedly of the memory.

After two years of being a boss, her parents told Ms Huang she had matured into a stronger, more independent woman. And perhaps, the best thing that came out of her venture was that one of her customers eventually became Ms Huang’s husband.

To young people, she said: “The choice is yours. Take pride in what you’re doing … Don’t be afraid. Just chiong (go for it) all the way! Chiong as much as you can, because you are young.”