• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP: Time to reinstate workers' rights

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore's workers have been exploited for far too long. Since the detention of opposition and trade union leaders like Lim Chin Siong and the eradication of free trade unions together with the restructuring of the employment laws in the 1960s,the PAP has, together with Western neoliberals, systematically dismantled the legitimate rights of the Singaporean worker.

While we have the highest number of millionaires per capita making us the richest country in the world, nearly 5 percent of our workers are paid $500 a month. Their wages have not risen in the last 10 years. The result is an enormous income inequality, the highest in the industrialised world.

And while Singaporeans work the most number of hours, according to a survey by the International Labour Organisation, real wages continue to decline. This has made us one of the most stressful countries in Asia to work; our workers are among the unhappiest.

Yet, we are governed by ministers who pay themselves the highest salaries in the world regardless of their performance. They are guided by an ideological adherence to the neoliberal idea of market fundamentalism which allows the rich unbridled power to amass vast fortunes that distort the market. As a result, Singapore's economic progress is held hostage by an elite which corners wealth at the expense of the rest of society.

Such an arrangement is unsustainable and will eventually result in economic meltdown. The two-day strike carried out by SMRT bus drivers from China is a manifestation of the underlying problem. But while the Chinese Government has spoken up for the SMRT workers from China, Singaporean workers remain at the mercy of the PAP. Someone has to stand up for them.

The SDP will work towards bringing our labour laws in accordance with international standards, allowing Singaporean workers to organise themselves free from the NTUC's control. Free trade cannot exist when one side does not have the freedom to organise and bargain.

It is severely myopic to continue down the path of worker exploitation. Empowering our workers will enable them to feel more secure and facilitate a happier working environment. Studies show unequivocally that such a labour framework rapidly increases labour productivity, currently languishing at persistently worrying levels.

Increasing wage levels by introducing a minimum wage also contributes significantly to a productive labour force, not to mention increasing workers' spending power. This will be good for the overall economy.

The liberalisation and deregulation rules laid down by the Washington Consensus, to which the PAP so fervently subscribes, cannot be allowed to continue in Singapore.Singaporean workers, speaking with a unified voice, must seek to put an end to their own exploitation.

Last edited:

OppaGANGNAMStyle

Alfrescian
Loyal
POP CORN and nacho - checked
Coke - checked
zipper unzipped - checked
air-con at 17 degrees - checked
inflatable doll inflated - checked
ky - checked
door locked - checked

When show starting? :biggrin:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SDP has done a fantastic statement.

Return the focus to Singaporean workers who remain at the mercy of PAP, and to the huge income gap.

Unlike PRCs, SG workers have no one to fight for their rights.

Emphasize the lack of unions and the need to empower workers.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
No mr.Chee and gang, its time to pay higher bus fares to ease the wage pressures on SBS Transit.

The govt should stop interfering with the pricing policies of bus companies.

Last edited:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No mr.Chee and gang, its time to pay higher bus fares to ease the wage pressures on SBS Transit.

Hey why are you not on my ignore list?

Something is wrong with my forum settings. I will zap you first and tweak my forum settings later.

OppaGANGNAMStyle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Paying high bus fares will not solve the problem of greed and exploitation by SMRT.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee doesn't seem to be able communicate and strategise effectively. What the hell is "Washington Consensus"?

Most of people wants better pay and less FW to depress the salaries. However, most people can't relate to the word "rights" to better pay and less FW. SDP should just harp on the wage reform proposal by Prof Lim as well as demanding full transparency and better control over FW numbers, then people can relate and better understand what SDP is trying to do.

SDP is doomed to fail in next GE if Chee don't change.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chee doesn't seem to be able communicate and strategise effectively. What the hell is "Washington Consensus"?

I'm a little puzzled myself about this Washington Consensus thing. The PAP has in fact adopted the Washington Consensus as its guiding economic philosophy in many aspects. The Consensus speaks about liberalization of foreign direct investment, broadening the tax base (7% GST!!!!!), privatization of state owned enterprises (think SMRT, etc), and redirection of public spending toward pro-growth policies. ALL of these are Washington Consensus principles.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm a little puzzled myself about this Washington Consensus thing. The PAP has in fact adopted the Washington Consensus as its guiding economic philosophy in many aspects. The Consensus speaks about liberalization of foreign direct investment, broadening the tax base (7% GST!!!!!), privatization of state owned enterprises (think SMRT, etc), and redirection of public spending toward pro-growth policies. ALL of these are Washington Consensus principles.

CSJ was actually criticizing the Washington Consensus:

The liberalisation and deregulation rules laid down by the Washington Consensus, to which the PAP so fervently subscribes, cannot be allowed to continue in Singapore.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CSJ was actually criticizing the Washington Consensus:
The liberalisation and deregulation rules laid down by the Washington Consensus, to which the PAP so fervently subscribes, cannot be allowed to continue in Singapore.

Ah lo!

Thanks, I should get a new pair of spectacles.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP statement is full of jargons that it is simply going to fly over the heads of most sinkies. You have to wonder who chee's target audience are, ordinary sinkies or NGOs?

3rd world sinkies (read 60.14%) dun deserve Dr Chee......
They need to wake up if not pap will be return to power again every GE.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't exaggerate. The only cheem word is neo liberal. All the other words are taught at primary school. Dun tell me you dun know them

SDP statement is full of jargons that it is simply going to fly over the heads of most sinkies. You have to wonder who chee's target audience are, ordinary sinkies or NGOs?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP has done a fantastic statement.

Return the focus to Singaporean workers who remain at the mercy of PAP, and to the huge income gap.

Unlike PRCs, SG workers have no one to fight for their rights.

Emphasize the lack of unions and the need to empower workers.

I consider this another example why SDP will never score more than 40% of votes casted for them