• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vacation ideas in Japan

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is for those who are planning to go to Japan. Just came back from Japan recently, cant wait to get back there again. I had a weekend off so I visited Tateyama, Takayama and Shirakawa-go. Haven't met a lot of pple who have been there(even my Japanese colleagues havent been to Shirakawa-Go) so here is an intro to the place.

Tateyama is a mountain in Toyama. It's famous for the Alpine Route and it's 20m high snow wall. To get there, take the Shinkansen to Nagoya, switch to a limited express train to either Toyama or Matsumoto. This part of the trip is covered by the JR pass. From Matsumoto, take a train to Shinano-Omachi. Take a bus from the train station(bus stop is right in front of the station) to Ogizawa. That's the starting point of the trip where you can purchase all the tickets for the entire mountain crossing till Toyama station. If going from Toyama, take the train to Tateyama station. Your journey will start here and most likely end in Matsumoto. Total cost is around 11K yen(about $160 not including the JR Pass of coz). Entire journey will take about 6 hours with about 20min stop between each station

The trip will take you to the Kurobe Dam
IMG_0482.JPG

And the famous Yuki no Otani(open only in April - May)
IMG_0577.JPG

I left Matsumoto at around 5am in the morning and by the time I reach Toyama, it was close to 2pm. I then went down to Takayama. A relatively famous tourist area. You can find a lot of hot spring hotels and Ryokans here. The famous streets Sanmachi is about 5min walk from the train station
IMG_0746.JPG

The 2nd day I went down to Shirakawa-Go. The only way to get there is by bus. Bus station is right next to the Takayama train station. U can see why this is a famous tourist area
IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

The whole itinerary can be done in 2 days, a bit of a rush though. I recommend spending at least 3 to 4 days at those locations and also visit Kanazawa. The bus from Takayama goes to Shirakawa-go then Kanazawa and from there, take a train to Toyama and the Alpine route.

If you have any recommendations for places to visit in Japan, please post here. I can use that for my next trip

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Note edit the post a bit. Was typing too fast without thinking. U get from Nagoya to Toyama/Matsumoto, NOT from Osaka(I started out from Osaka -> Nagoya -> Matsumoto)

did you go for radiation check? :biggrin:

Fukushima is far up in the North lah. This place is in the Central part of Japan.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shirakawa-Go is a heavenly place. Was there 2 autumns ago. Many of the huts were moved from different villages and placed there centrally, that is the Japanese efficiency.
I stayed in Takayama and took the bus to Shirakawa-go.

The only thing to note is Takayama is the world headquarter for the Sukyo Mahikari cult... some said its just a religion.
I happened to stay in the same hotel as the entire conference participants... they hold their annual conference somewhere in November.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
seibu runs three daily buses (one of which is overnight) to toyama from ikebukuro ( i stay there in ikebukuro , 2nd of the most busy train station in tokyo after shinjuku ) and the sunshine city prince hotel . it costs around ¥7000 one-way ( about ¥13000 round-trip) and takes about seven hours to make the journey. but i usually drive there with my friends .

char , did you buy toyama clay dolls and local glass art from folkcraft village ? its a great gift to buy for your friends .

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Note edit the post a bit. Was typing too fast without thinking. U get from Nagoya to Toyama/Matsumoto, NOT from Osaka(I started out from Osaka -> Nagoya -> Matsumoto)

Fukushima is far up in the North lah. This place is in the Central part of Japan.

he thought japan is the size of singapore :wink:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you Char_Azn for these beautiful photos. Japan always very picturesque. Mrs love there last year went 4 thrice. This April just went to do the Sakura thingy in south region Fukuoka/Nagasaki and Osaka and Tokyo for 20 days. Then end this month already planned annother 20 days trip to Hokkaido for the flowers and culture festivals. Looks like she wants to break last year's record. Sigh. Wish I could join sigh sigh.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pics were taken Last Dec at a Ski resort in Sapporo, Hokkaido.LocaL foLks there are warm, sushi was
great, but cab fares there was Like 50bucks for an 8 min ride and worse, it was a freaking -15deg C !

ABCD0009.jpg

ABCD0014.jpg

ABCD0017.jpg

ABCD0004.jpg

ABCD0013.jpg

:wink:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
char , did you buy toyama clay dolls and local glass art from folkcraft village ? its a great gift to buy for your friends .

Nope. I usually only get local snacks as souvenirs for friends coz I believe most of them will just put away stuff like this. I find it more practical coz they will almost always finish the snacks, except for the ones I bring back from India, no one seem to wanna touch those

Thank you Char_Azn for these beautiful photos. Japan always very picturesque. Mrs love there last year went 4 thrice. This April just went to do the Sakura thingy in south region Fukuoka/Nagasaki and Osaka and Tokyo for 20 days. Then end this month already planned annother 20 days trip to Hokkaido for the flowers and culture festivals. Looks like she wants to break last year's record. Sigh. Wish I could join sigh sigh.

Ur Mrs very free and very rich. I usually don't go visit the same country over and over again coz I get bored easily. Japan, China and Thailand are probably the only 3 countries that I don't mind re-visiting. Haven't been to Fukuoka either. Did Ur wife checked out the Wisteria Tunnel when she was there.
wisteria-1.jpg

Pics were taken Last Dec at a Ski resort in Sapporo, Hokkaido.LocaL foLks there are warm, sushi was
great, but cab fares there was Like 50bucks for an 8 min ride and worse, it was a freaking -15deg C !

Haven't been to Hokkaido before. Any nice place to recommend there?

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sorry bro, did not venture out too much the Last trip; due to the freaking -15deg.Mine's was a ski resort stay in a
viLLage for about 6 days onLy.For aLL we did was about the farms and the Onzens :wink:

Last edited:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go climb asahidake and furano. Otaru also a great place.

Nope. I usually only get local snacks as souvenirs for friends coz I believe most of them will just put away stuff like this. I find it more practical coz they will almost always finish the snacks, except for the ones I bring back from India, no one seem to wanna touch those

Ur Mrs very free and very rich. I usually don't go visit the same country over and over again coz I get bored easily. Japan, China and Thailand are probably the only 3 countries that I don't mind re-visiting. Haven't been to Fukuoka either. Did Ur wife checked out the Wisteria Tunnel when she was there.
wisteria-1.jpg