• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Centrepoint Black Saturday - the good old days

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was this start of the journey that led to the historic loss of fortress GRC? Well it led to other things as well

"I hope this even will build in momentum, generate more awareness that Singaporeans actually have a say, and can say something, other than “Yes” to the Government, in an ever so slightly more assertive manner."
Saturday, September 08, 2007[h=3]Centrepoint's "Black Saturday".[/h]

I arrived at Centrepoint around 3:40pm. Saw SDP's "roadshow" as I drove past, before turning left into the carpark. I did think to myself, "hmm, no surprise they are here, hope they don't hijack the black 'event' tho."

I think SDP was courteous enough to packup their roadshow and change in black at 4pm sharp. Whether the courtesy was intended or not, as one of those in black, I "tip my hat" to you.

As I watched the SDP folks pack up, I overheard a youngish looking female reporter asking someone nearby (in black with a zoom len expensive looking Digi Cam with a companion dressed in white Tshirt) "But you are wearing black, why?" or something like that. The guy just insisted that he was a concerned passerby or something like that.

At around 4:15pm, I was strolling around the 2nd and 3rd stories. There was definitely a slightly higher number of people wearing black at centerpoint on Saturday 8 Sept. I did exchange smiles with some at the entrance, although there was this chap at the entrance in a White England Soccer Jersey who was people-watching with a grumpy look on his face, like he’s weekend was burnt. =P
High enough number of black clothing to call it abnormal, perhaps not. Did they all disagree with the compulsory annuity? I don’t know for sure. But going around spotting the plainclothes did provide some free entertainment while my date went shopping at Mango and Gap. Also some amusement much later, to see Uncle Yap with his cellphone snapping away at “middle aged men” who were loitering in groups or 2’s and 3’s.

I proceeded to the basement to see what were the Chee's up to. From afar, they looked like they are surrounded by reporters at MacDonald's. (Including 2 -3 Caucasians with huge zoom lens cams)
Went back up to the ground floor a while later, spent a short while walking up and down the mall, spotted a plainclothes a the top, with a walkie, who spent most of his time there on a wooden bench, looking down.
It was past 5:20, and I thought of leaving, after watching 4-5 of the plainclothes take a smokebreak (I think only the one posted at the top floor smoked) next to the taxi stand. Oh and Grumpy in the england jearsy was still at the entrance together with his chinese colleague.
So I thought, ok walk through the mall one last time to add my presence. l went through the basement, saw the CNA female reporter, looking somewhat exasperated. Hopefully she did get something to publish. I proceeded upstairs via the escalator, and started walking near or next to people who wore black. Standing next to a guy who was wearing black, just to add to the black presence.
Then I noticed there was a "black presence" in front of the Cultural Musical performance. See pic below. Ok, so I thought, ok I'll watch and add to the "Blackness". Guess what, the plainsclothes taking a break at the taxi stand all came back in, surrounding the "performance". 2 were watching from behind the stage, leaning on the railing at the escalators. 2 were on the right of the audience, on the 2nd floor, leaning on the railings. And a youngish looking skinhead was watching from the mooncake/pastry booths.
When the performance ended, I proceeded to Macs to get a drink, saw a group of like 5-6 black at Macs, thought of taking a photo, but then thought better of it. I then departed CP after that with my date for dinner. All in all, I think, it felt good. Hopefully the press did get something.
Success or not, largely depends on your point of view or expectations. If one expected this event to actually steer Government polices, then its was not really much of a success to speak about.

But then again, steering Government polices is not something that the people (who wore black to centrepoint yesterday afternoon) wanted or expected to achieve isn't it? Taking action to show or pass on a message of disagreement or objection to government polices, is still at its infancy here in Singapore. Even an alien concept to some.

In my opinion, this event is just another milestone in the political maturity of Citizens here in Singapore, where people who actually disagree but more than often, end up saying : "Aiyah, protest also no use. Its the Government leh".

A message of disagreement or objection to a policy or Government decision, does not have to end in violence, or even breaking the Law.

I hope this even will build in momentum, generate more awareness that Singaporeans actually have a say, and can say something, other than “Yes” to the Government, in an ever so slightly more assertive manner.

To all those who came in black, don't give up, even if the press brushes this of as nothing. Even if the government or anyone comes out and call this a pointless endeavour. Do not back down, continue to spread the word. The Government will do all it can to discred it even, do not let negative press of the event discourage you from participating further.
Just as importantly, do not be goaded or baited into more extreme or confrontational practices, in future similar events. Keep it as it is, but help the numbers grow, generate awareness, spread the word. Keep the event peaceful and non-confrontational.
I propose the same thing, same time, same place, same colour on 15/09. Hopefully we Singaporeans can get things moving, and keep the momemtun building.

100_0108.jpg
I was aiming for the Chinese cultural performance on the right, guess my aim was a little off.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Episode 18 - Joing Black Saturday

Behind the Guardhouse, 11pm, 21C, smell of mount faber nasi lemak gentling wafing in the air

Pres: Boss, can you stop throwing pebbles at my master bedroom window. My wife thinks that we are gay and having an affair.

Old Man: I was desperate and thats why I did it. Sorry about it.

Pres: Sorry!. Bloody Hell, I had to tell her that I had arranged for breakfast in the garden and it was meant to be surprise. So quickly got the butler to rush things. Since it was in garden, as it is customary, had to do a song and a piroutte around the coconut tree to show that it was genuine.

Old Man: Bro, frankly, after walloping thosai and chutney, I cannot move and I don't know how you guys can jump from hill to hill.

Pres: Its in the blood boss. So what the hell was so important that you had throw pebbles so early in the fucking morning.

Old Man: Its a crisis, a fucking bloody crisis. I am completely fucked.

Pres: Oh shit boss, they finally threw you out of cabinet.

Old Man: No lah. Remember the gathering for this Saturday at Centrepoint at 4pm. We have wear something black right?

Pres: Yeah......

Old Man: Bro, I searched my entire house and also at 38 Oxley Rise and I cannot find anything black.

Pres: What about when you attend funerals.

Old Man: No, I always had been partial to light colours.

Pres: At least you don't wear a faggoty colour like your son. Aiyah! Just go to one of the shops and get a black t-shirt.

Old Man: Thats why its now a crisis. When I threw those pebbles it was not a crisis. At lunch time, I walked over to Plaza Singapura to pick up a black t-shirt. The first shop I went to had a Filipina FT sales staff. Shed told me they ran out of black and she asked whether I knew the reason why so many people were looking for black. I straight away wahbodoh as I did not want to give the game away.
You won't believe this bro, the whole fucking Plaza Singapura does not have a single clothing in the colour black. This is going to be a whopper event. Supersize even.

Pres: Did you ask them to check if their other stores carry stock.

Old Man: I did just that and no luck. In fact in one case, a PRC mei mei sales assistant asked me if I had CPF. KNN, I told her to fuck off to Geylang.

Pres: Wah lau!. No stock. You are right. This is going to be a whopper event. I can't wait for Saturday.

Old Man: Bro, do you have a spare black bandana.

Pres: Fuck boss, if both of us wear black bandanas, we would look like the chopstick sisters. No shiok, we will be the laughing stock.

Old Man: Help me out Bro, I don't want to miss this event. This evening I got Ah Seng to get the grassroots to check if the stores near their homes carry them but no luck. These grassrrots are useless. Know only to ask but cannot give. I have good mind to withdraw their free parking privileges.
It looks like everyone will be there except me. There is one possibility - Foreign ministry said they had black mask that was left over from a diplomatic ball that I can use.

Pres: Aiyah! boss, you surely can't go like zorro.

Old Man: Why not. I am the hero of Singapore, I am natural born leader and people look up to me like Zorro. Its a perfect fit. I am thinking of cutting a piece of the black curtain as a cape. Imagine standing in front of the crowd and calling them to act. Do you think it good to get a horse to complete the picture.

Pres: (eyes rolling)

Old Man: Look if you think that it is not suitable, why not ask the organiser to change the colour then.

Pres: Pleezze! This is Sammyboy Forum. This is not the Singapore Parliament, the Civil service or SPH. They don't give a fuck who you are? These guys have a mind of their own. Your talk cock, sing song session cannot jalan in this forum. Just wear your zorro outfit and come.

Old Man: I can't wait bro. I am so excited. Its like the old days when we fought hard in the rallies to get votes. The WP party rally at Hougang was another magnificient event. I still can remember the date - 30 April. All floors and lift landing at every surrounding block was filled by man, woman and child. Its was better than the Kallang Roar at the Malaysia Cup. I was so elated as the Adrenalin rushed thru my veins. I cried when Low spoke. It hit me hard. That night I went back home and fucked the shit out of my son on why we can't get that kind of a turnout.

Pres: How come the ST never mentioned how big the crowd was. Why no picture. Fucked up newspaper. We should make Yawning Bread the Editor. Remember the HDB rental debacle.

Old Man: Listen bro, we know this game. We can organise this better than anyone. You look after black ops and I will handle the strategy. We might as well storm the Istana and plant the flag of true freedom and independence. Lets change the course of history. The meek will never rule the world. Its our time and the hour is near. We move now or we will never move. In the name of Ghandi, Mandela and Che Guevara, lets unfurl the flag of freedom and we march. We March like no other. The Road to freedom is wide open and it beckons us. I see no fork and I see no bends ........... the road to freedom is indeed straight.

Pres: Old man, what the fuck are you talking about? Have you got Alzheimer's disease or what. Do you know what this protest about and who lives in the godamn Istana. You should have kicked the bucket long time ago. Jesus!, get a grip man.

Old Man: What?

Pres: You prick, these guys are after our blood. If they storm the Istana, its to catch us, cut out balls and hang it from the flag poles. They are sick and tired of being told what to do with their own money. Sometimes you are so far out in left field that you are no longer in the ballpark. Man, the things that I do for you.

Old Man: Sorry bro, got carried away. So why are you going ?

Pres: Simple, for 3 reasons. Dying to try the Laksa, need to get away from my wife for a few hours and get some action in this fucking boring sterile country where independent thinking is like striking the mother lode. Also if something happens, I will on the right side of the Istana for once.

Old Man: Bro, have to agree on the excitement part. Its getting late. Hey, saw in Sammyboy of this delicious Hokkein Mee in Simei just below MRT station. Lets take a shot.

Pres: I saw that too. Nabei, that fucker scroobal called us a bunch of elderly bapohs plying our trade wearing wigs.

Old Man: Aiyah!, Ignore the bastard. So brave behind the keyboard but no balls when challenged to a fight. Wait till I get him in a cul de sac. He will know who is boss then.

Pres: I too can't wait to get the guy. Always write about me as though I am some kind of uneducated gong gong. Fuck, is it my fault that there were no other qualified candidates on nomination day.

Old Man: Aiyah, forget it bro, we got to catch the last train from Dolby Ghaut. Maybe got chance to get sit next to chio bu.

Pres: Becareful, don't do anything silly. Some asswipe with handphone camera will take a shot and report us to stomp for breathing at this age. Some fuckers go no life.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is very common to see Dr Chee standing in the front entrance of Centrepoint selling his books and party flags...

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
i miss the sight of JBJ and his strong voice, standing in the front entrance of Centrepoint selling his books

jbj-1.jpg

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LOL. I see someone I am very familiar with in the photo...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all PAP suing letters coming in, we should have another blackout Saturday to send a strong signal back to our "servant". They need to know their place, they are not our master because they milked on our tax monies.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Was this start of the journey that led to the historic loss of fortress GRC?

the introduction of compulsory annuity in the early weeks of August 2007 got the SBF folks unsettled, especially with talks of protest letters getting ignored in the printing room.

then with the power of one, with what first started as a single post protesting against the compulsory annuity on the 23rd August 2007 0057hrs, quickly rolled into over 60 posts with the actual idea crystallizing about an hour later. a new thread started at 0213hrs drew over 500 replies and it finally set the event in stone.

it is interesting to note that a couple of threads sprang out about the same time, changes in the venues and color theme even, but they didn't gain much needed traction. the venue was to be in a indoor environment, the color chosen was sombre and striking at the same time.

tips were exchanged on what to eat and what to do at the said location at the said time, the Laska at BreadTalk next to the McD at basement was much talked about, 4D numbers like 8907 was much touted, the talk of People's Power and so on. even our dear GMS was up and about to say NO to the compulsory annuity, the online petition was promoted in a number of threads.

right up to the actual day itself, a couple of monikers were warning folks not to turn up or to face consequences, even Robox decided that it was a no-go for him and stating that the event was a homophobic event or something like that.

what a field day it must have been to our friends in blue back then on the 8th of September, it was like the first time in many years that we saw strangers coming together in solidarity, and it wasn't easy :p:p:p

Last edited:

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are we talking about the same Black Sunday where someone actually went around took photos of the place and did a manual count proving that there was the same number of pple dress in black as any other day in Orchard Rd proving another major disaster for Chee?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha...good one bro, as always.

Why so hard to find black clothing? Old Ah Peks and Ah kongs like these two fucktards should know by now that you can always bring your old clothes and dye them black. When my aged grandmother and father kaput, where do they think we got the black clothes? No wonder the idiot didnt know - he was never really a Chinese.

By the way, bro, is that the Prataman still? Wtf is he still doing in the Istana? I thought it is the other gong gong baba.

Episode 18 - Joing Black Saturday