• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World class leg shaker to join Man U on the bench

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Premier League - Owen signs two-year deal at United

Eurosport - Fri, 03 Jul 19:44:00 2009

Former European Footballer of the Year Michael Owen has completed a surprise free transfer move to Manchester United, the Premier League champions have confirmed.

"Michael is a world class forward with a proven goalscoring record at the highest level and that has never been in question," said manager Alex Ferguson.

"Coming to Manchester United with the expectations that we have is something that Michael will relish," he added on the club's official website.

Owen, 29, had been out of contract after deciding to leave relegated Newcastle United and becomes Alex Ferguson's second signing of the close-season following Ecuador winger Antonio Valencia's move from Wigan Athletic on Tuesday.

The ex-Liverpool striker has struggled for form and fitness in four years at Newcastle, scoring just 30 goals, and has been consistently overlooked by England manager Fabio Capello.

Owen, seventh on the list of all-time top scorers in the Premier League with 144, had been linked by British media with a move to Hull City last week but will instead replace Argentina forward Carlos Tevez who left United last month.

"I had just begun to talk to other clubs when out of the blue Sir Alex phoned me on Wednesday afternoon, invited me to have breakfast with him next morning during which he told me that he wanted to sign me," Owen said. "I agreed without a moment's thought."

The 2001 European Footballer of the Year, who has scored 40 times in 89 appearances for his country, shot to fame as a goalscoring teenager with Liverpool and England before joining Real Madrid in 2004.

He had a single season at the Bernabeu where he failed to hold down a first team place amongst the "galacticos," before moving on to Newcastle in 2005 who were relegated to the Championship (second division) in May.

Owen will be reunited with striker Wayne Rooney whom he successfully partnered in attack for England before injuries curtailed his international career.

"I am now looking forward to being a Manchester United player and I am fortunate that I already know so many of the players here," Owen added.
Reuters

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what to do...spell of desperation by both parties - owen needs a decent club on his CV and Man U needs a player after all their targets all genna potong jalan by Real Madrid...

Previously SAF still kaopeh, I won't sell a virus to them - in the end how? sell ronaldo (lan lan and get world record fee), loses long time target = Benzema and Ribery to RM as well. Don't know why the fuck sign Valencia - a touch of Spain? :cool:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not bad for O..when!..Michael Owen, to ride into the sunset with a top Premier league club...even if he doesn't get to kick the ball much, he still gets paid well...the problem is, O, when?, he gets to play...:rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lau ferge is so desperate
owen ha ha ha
he is the reason newcastle got downhill
they paid too much money for him to seat on the bench and masterbating
that not enough money to make a team

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
We also pay a lot of people too much money to seat on the bench and masterbating, no?

We are going downhill?:confused::confused:

lau ferge is so desperate
owen ha ha ha
he is the reason newcastle got downhill
they paid too much money for him to seat on the bench and masterbating
that not enough money to make a team

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The real losers will be Real Madrid.

I wait to see by end of next season, SAF is able to tell Real. Look, I bought a crook and aging player at zero transfer fee and he is able to score as many goals as that toyboy did last season, that cost you world record fees.:biggrin::biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wait to see by end of next season, SAF is able to tell Real. Look, I bought a crook and aging player at zero transfer fee and he is able to score as many goals as that toyboy did last season, that cost you world record fees.:biggrin::biggrin:

I do suspect that may be what's on Sir Alex's mind. He pulled off something like that about 10 years ago by buying Teddy Sheringham in his late 20s and end of England international career, and landed the Champions League/Premier League/FA Cup treble.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alex will be hoping Owen will be like Gerd Muller to poach goals. All he have to do is be at the right spot at the right time. The actual loser will be Ronaldo. With Benzema, Kaka or even Ribery. Where he can stand a chance to score. Too many swell header Indian chief.
It will be a disaster. They could never click as a team.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cristiano Ronaldo's international limelight will be dimmed if Portugal fails to qualify for World Cup 2010, which is looking very likely now. Therefore, from Manchester United's point of view, this is mostly likely the time when Ronaldo's transfer value has peaked, and have served out great value for money by instrumentally helping them to win two EPLs and one ECL during his spell at Old Trafford.

I also recall that there was an earlier report that Manchester United wasn't signing Franck Ribery because of a new policy of not signing in new players above age 26 has been instated. Well, so much for reports and policies.

In any case, Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen have been very good forward partners in the England team, Both are from more or less similar Merseyside wonder-boys background. Whereas, Rooney and Ronaldo almost came to a punch-out during World Cup 2006. If Sir Alex can manage Rooney and Ronaldo partnership so successfully, surely he can manage Rooney and Owen to even greater heights.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cristiano Ronaldo's international limelight will be dimmed if Portugal fails to qualify for World Cup 2010, which is looking very likely now. Therefore, from Manchester United's point of view, this is mostly likely the time when Ronaldo's transfer value has peaked, and have served out great value for money by instrumentally helping them to win two EPLs and one ECL during his spell at Old Trafford.

I also recall that there was an earlier report that Manchester United wasn't signing Franck Ribery because of a new policy of not signing in new players above age 26 has been instated. Well, so much for reports and policies.

One of the primary reason why Ribery,Benzema or any of Utd's transfer target refuse to ply their trade in England is becos of the tax changes which is expected to kick in early next year. With Euro appreciating and pound seen wobbling under the massive weight of deficits, it is little wonder why they chose the path to stay within the EU zone.

Owen is well past his sell by date. What in the Mickey was Fergie thinking of when he bought Owen? He's probably aware of the difficulty in attracting top talent for the reasons mentioned above and it would be suicidal to buy at any cost especially in times like this.

If there were any mistakes made by Utd's mgmt, they should have bought first before selling Ron. Should have ditched Tevez & press on for a striker. Neither Berba nor Tevez can make up for Ron's contribution. Dun even think about looney!

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not bad for O..when!..Michael Owen, to ride into the sunset with a top Premier league club...even if he doesn't get to kick the ball much, he still gets paid well...the problem is, O, when?, he gets to play...:rolleyes:

the only thing in common between Fergie and Owen besides soccer is thoroughbreds. they can play horsy for all we care.c'mon giddyup!

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone can get the best out of a has-been striker, it would be the most successful manager in the history of English football.

Fergie=God=LKY. Infallible!!:biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OWEN UNPOPULARITY
No one wants an Owen shirt

By Soccernet staff

July 7, 2009

It's lucky for Michael Owen that Sir Alex Ferguson rates him, because Manchester United supporters certainly do not. Since he signed on Friday, the club shop has yet to receive a single request for an Owen shirt.

This evidences just how widely the dissatisfaction with his purchase is felt; very few supporters feel that he is good enough to play for the team, and just as many are resentful of having an ex-Liverpool player in the squad.

An employee at United's megastore commented that:

"We haven't got his number yet, which might have had an effect, [but] we are not expecting a big demand even when that is known. As far as I know, no one has asked for [it]".

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Michael Owen scored in both his first two apperances for Manchester United. Though just friendlies against Malaysia XI, it bodes good omen. Despite all the scepticism, questions and even ridicules about his injuries and fitness, he has been on and at the top of the game throughout his career, and the only English player to have won European Footballer of Year (2001) since Kevin Keegan in 1978-79.

The top 10 EPL goalscorers now are:

1. Alan Shearer - 260 (retired)
2. Andy Cole - 187 (retired)
3. Thierry Henry - 174 (retired)
4. Robbie Fowler -163 (retired)
5. Les Ferdinand - 149 (retired)
6. Teddy Sheringham - 147 (retired)
7. Michael Owen - 144
8. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - 127 (retired)
9. Dwight York - 123 (retired)
10. Robbie Kean - 115

Counting active players only, Owen is the top goalscorer now. If he gets 3 good injury-free seasons at MU, it's quite certain that he could be all-time No. 2, though chasing Shearer's record would look quite an order a bit too tall.

The top 10 England international goalscorers now are:

1. Bobby Charlton - 49 (retired)
2. Gary Lineker - 48 (retired)
3. Jimmy Greaves - 44 (retired)
4. Michael Owen - 40
5. Tom Finney - 30 (retired)
6. Nat Lofthouse - 30 (retired)
7. Alan Shearer - 30 (retired)
8. Viv Woodward - 29 (retired)
9. Steve Bloomer - 28 (retired)
10. David Platt - 27 (retired)

If recalled back to England for another 3 years, it won't be surprising if Owen ends up as Englands all-time top goalscorer, needing only 3 to 4 goals per year, and he could become the first English player to score 50 international goals or more.

To be fair, with his track record, I think that he's a world class goalscorer, not a world class legshaker or benchwarmer.

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, with his track record, I think that he's a world class goalscorer, not a world class legshaker or benchwarmer.

Owen has scored 2 goals and he hasn't even played a full game yet!!
Another master-stroke of a signing by Sir Alex, like King Cantona.

Owen will be surrounded by good players who will give him good service and he can chip in with goals, unlike at pathetic Newcastle.

I think he will score more goals than "Judas" Tevez this coming season
and i will laugh my bloody ass off when he does that.