• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speak Dialects, you feel tribal ! Speak mandarin, it will break unity!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
pls dun use translator la....LOL who writes chinese like this in singapore?

tell uncle what this means and how it reads if you know chinese....dun tell me it rhymes again in mandarin hor....

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

this one straight question to me ah? harlo. just what is your point? all this read in mandarin sounds terrible meh?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun use f word la, it shows you are frustrated and conceding defeat ....alto there is no doubt as to that :rolleyes:

haha!!! u wish. u cant show us any proof that only dialect could connect to chinese root thousand years ago, and mandarin could only connect to 300 years of chinese root.

where's the proof? no? case close.

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha!!! u wish. u cant show us any proof that only dialect could connect to chinese root thousand years ago, and mandarin could only connect to 300 years of chinese root.

where's the proof? no? case close.

here's the proof read this in mandarin and hokkien

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

oh sorry, you dunno chinese hor....how you hear the differences?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
here's the proof read this in mandarin and hokkien

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

oh sorry, you dunno chinese hor....how you hear the differences?

it sounds fine to me in mandarin.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
mandarin could be use to recite the dao de jing, both version.

dao de jing is written thousand of years ago.

therefore, mandarin could be use to connect chinese root thousand of years ago.

case close.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Massive U-turn by you. I thought you were right behind old man where Mandarin is concerned. Read your earlier posts. Suddenly you must have realised the menaing of mother tongue.

I was following his earlier posts, Char_jig_Kar(CJK) might have supported LKY on learning of Mandarin, he definitely did not support the old guy on elimination of dialect.

Personally, I have the same opinion as CJK, Mandarin helps Chinese of different Dialect to communicate. However, if one remove his own dialect, he is removed of his own root. If you look at the young ones nowadays, you do not see their heritage anymore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was following his earlier posts, Char_jig_Kar(CJK) might have supported LKY on learning of Mandarin, he definitely did not support the old guy on elimination of dialect.

Personally, I have the same opinion as CJK, Mandarin helps Chinese of different Dialect to communicate. However, if one remove his own dialect, he is removed of his own root. If you look at the young ones nowadays, you do not see their heritage anymore.

Singapore is the only country that bans broadcast and reportage along language lines (that are chinese dialects)that no other country does.

The use of Mandarin was a Political decision to cut out the various clans and dialect based interest group. More importantly to remove Political opponets that had a strong alond dialect lines. Lim Chin Siong is a fiery orator in Hokkein. At that time, China was isolated from the world, and its economic opening was not even contemplated by anyone. The economic value of Mandarin did not even come up for discussion in Singapore then.

Circle Chap Ji Kar holds the position that Mandarin can replace mother tongue. It took him 300 over posts to state his mother tongue and he has come out with 2 mothers or 1 mother who apparently speaks to him in 2 dialects. He continues to think that dialect as a mother tongue has no relevance.

PAP Old Man has always argued along similar lines of Circle Chap Ji Kar that Mandarin is a substitute for mother tongue which it is not. ( unless you are less than 20 yrs of age, you might not recall what the original grounds were) Old Man used this arguement to support the ban of dialects in Singapore in public media. Only when China opened up, the economic value arguement of Mandarin in engaging China came up.

Here is a summary

1) Mandarin economic value is tremendous. It acting as a bridge for Han Chinese cannot be disputed. Thats common sense. If the Manchus had chosen Cantonese, it will act in the same capacity.

2) Mandarin is not the mother tongue of 99% of Singaporeans.

3) It cannot replace dialects in understanding the culture and roots of a dialect.

You may wish to read the thread again. No has ever stated that Mandarin does not play the role of bridging the various dialect groups. I wonder how you came to that?

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
it sounds fine to me in mandarin.

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

there are no rhymes in this poem if you read it in mandarin, you either dunno chinese or is telling another white lie or you are just too much of a philistine to appreciate your mother tongue....this is the poem that baffled scholars for centuries becuase it does not rhyme...

and for proof that mandarin only connects you to 300 yars of heritage, read this 3000 yr old poem in mandarin and yopu cannot find any rhymne or rhythm

then read in hokkien and you can find the rhythm and four lines that rhyme.

pls respond

Last edited:

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
mandarin could be use to recite the dao de jing, both version.

dao de jing is written thousand of years ago.

therefore, mandarin could be use to connect chinese root thousand of years ago.

case close.

mandarin is not the language which the tao de ching is written..... the language is old chinese.....you see the same chinese characters and only that has not changed, your argument leads to the conclusion that we only need to learn chinese characters and we can learn it in any language but still be in connection with our chinese roots...i.e. a korean can use the same characters to read in korean and a japanese too but in your muddled analysis, all of them will be in connection the chinese root as long as they can read the characters in their own language. an englishman and malay can do the same thing once you transliterate the symbols into their language

and let me repeat again, the mandarin corruption led to a different version of tao te ching and thats why one cannot rely only on mandarin....pls respond to this

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal

if you read his posts, he has not offered any suggestion as to how the two can co-exist but he is quick to slam dialects and he is suggesting to me that mandarin alone is sufficient to connect to one's roots but he does not understand mandarin is a spoken language while chinese is a written language consisting of characters to which different sounds (whether mandarin or dialect) can be attributed to..he equates written chinese to mandarin and he quite clearly says case is closed and that is all you need...

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is the only country that bans broadcast and reportage along language lines (that are chinese dialects)that no other country does.

The use of Mandarin was a Political decision to cut out the various clans and dialect based interest group. More importantly to remove Political opponets that had a strong alond dialect lines. Lim Chin Siong is a fiery orator in Hokkein. At that time, China was isolated from the world, and its economic opening was not even contemplated by anyone. The economic value of Mandarin did not even come up for discussion in Singapore then.

I still remember that time when our "beloved "LKY pushing for "jiang Hua Yu" exercise. The theme at that time was to allow cross communication between different dialect groups. I was yound at the time and politics did not really come into my mind. I still remember TV were still showing " camelion" and "man in the net" in Cantonese.

Of course know LKY well enough now we know that he will not go for it if there is no benefits to him. Like you said, to say that he has foresight to push for Mandarin is a total bull shit since China was still a communist until mid 80s.Further more, the first to contact China is not Singapore but Malaysia. I remember Mahathir was one of the first to visit China with his business team. LKY was too worry of losing USA support at the time.

Circle Chap Ji Kar holds the position that Mandarin can replace mother tongue. It took him 300 over posts to state his mother tongue and he has come out with 2 mothers or 1 mother who apparently speaks to him in 2 dialects. He continues to think that dialect as a mother tongue has no relevance.

I won't fault CJK for not revealing his dialect, there is no requirement to announce your dialect prior to joining this thread. I did follow up with his posts. He is only in agreement with learning Mandarin but not elimination of dialect, in fact he was against that.

PAP Old Man has always argued along similar lines of Circle Chap Ji Kar that Mandarin is a substitute for mother tongue which it is not. ( unless you are less than 20 yrs of age, you might not recall what the original grounds were) Old Man used this arguement to support the ban of dialects in Singapore in public media. Only when China opened up, the economic value arguement of Mandarin in engaging China came up.

Well, today we see the consequences of this ban. I wonder does LKY know how come he still cannot build up the Singapore culture after up-rooting all the dialects?

Here is a summary

1) Mandarin economic value is tremendous. It acting as a bridge for Han Chinese cannot be disputed. Thats common sense. If the Manchus had chosen Cantonese, it will act in the same capacity.

3) It cannot replace dialects in understanding the culture and roots of a dialect.

You may wish to read the thread again. No has ever stated that Mandarin does not play the role of bridging the various dialect groups. I wonder how you came to that?

I am with you on Mandarin bridging the Han while cannot replace the dialect. You can only enter the culture of individual dialect group when you speaks their language. You are right that no one here including CJK stated that Mandarin can replace any dialect.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you read his posts, he has not offered any suggestion as to how the two can co-exist but he is quick to slam dialects and he is suggesting to me that mandarin alone is sufficient to connect to one's roots but he does not understand mandarin is a spoken language while chinese is a written language consisting of characters to which different sounds (whether mandarin or dialect) can be attributed to..he equates written chinese to mandarin and he quite clearly says case is closed and that is all you need...

Trust me, I have been reading his and yours earlier postings(repeatedly). He did not slam Dialect, in fact he was against the slamming.

Anyway, I am curious, how did you got kick out? I kind of like your original nick "Lancheowman".

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

i don't know where did u get this. LKY himself is not fluent with mandarin. so how could he use mandarin policies to cut out lim chin siong? PAP are fluent with mandarin?

hey asshole. when did i hold the position that mandarin could replace mother tongue? if mandarin would replace all dialect, why would i against old fart eradication of dialect??

LOL.... WHEN AND WHERE DID I SUGGEST THAT MANDARIN IS A SUBSTITUTE FOR MOTHER TONGUE??? IF MANDARIN COULD BE SUBSTITUTE FOR MOTHER TONGUE, WHY AM I TOTALLY AGAINST LEE KUAN YEW'S ERADICATION OF DIALECT??

Here is a summary

LET ME REPEAT.

I AM AGAINST LKY'S ATTEMPT IN ERADICATE DIALECET IN SINGAPORE.

SCREWBALL, YOU HAVE ZERO CREDIBILITY. BECAUSE YOU KEEP ON PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

scroobal has no credibility. he keep putting words into my mouth. i had ask him again and again, show me when did i support lee kuan yew's eradication of dialect, he cant show me any. but he carry on to come up with smear campaign against me.

Last edited:

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
lky.jpg

"Learn to speak Chinese and you can go Chaina happening there, the chais there are good you know. Hei hei hei hei hei.. "

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am with you on Mandarin bridging the Han while cannot replace the dialect. You can only enter the culture of individual dialect group when you speaks their language. You are right that no one here including CJK stated that Mandarin can replace any dialect.

but he had insisted that my stand is dialect could be replace by mandarin. am i surprise? no. because he love to put words into people mouth. come up with allegation without any proof.

scroobal is not credible. just take not of that.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

there are no rhymes in this poem if you read it in mandarin, you either dunno chinese or is telling another white lie or you are just too much of a philistine to appreciate your mother tongue....this is the poem that baffled scholars for centuries becuase it does not rhyme...

and for proof that mandarin only connects you to 300 yars of heritage, read this 3000 yr old poem in mandarin and yopu cannot find any rhymne or rhythm

then read in hokkien and you can find the rhythm and four lines that rhyme.

pls respond

like i said, it sounds fine to me in mandarin.