• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Application for Singapore President Opens Today!!!!

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Applications for presidency will open Wednesday, June 1. This is the first time that both parliamentary and presidential elections are being held in the same year.

If there are at least two eligible candidates running for presidency, Singaporeans will be required to vote for their 7th president who will then hold office for a term of six years.

President S R Nathan's current term will expire on September 1, 2011 and the Presidential Election has to be conducted not more than 3 months before then.

It is still not known if Mr. Nathan will run for a third time.

Mr Nathan, a veteran civil servant and diplomat, was unopposed when he stood in 1999 and 2005.

Here is a look back at Singapore's past presidents and previous potential candidates.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic16.jpg

pic17.jpg

pic18.jpg

pic19.jpg

pic20.jpg

pic21.jpg

pic22.jpg

pic23.jpg

pic24.jpg

pic25.jpg

pic26.jpg

pic27.jpg

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the opposition should send someone there. This is more important then them winning another useless seat in Parliament. They get 1 guy in, and it answers the age old question, is the money still there!!!!!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gosh...the sight of this old fart in the uniform makes me wanna puke

The guy used to be a hero

This was followed by a few days of intense negotiations, during which two hostages managed to escape by jumping overboard in the middle of the night. The terrorists later agreed to release the other crew members in exchange for a party of "guarantors" for their safe passage to the Middle East. This 13-men party consisted of four commandos from the Singapore Armed Forces and eight other government officials. The party was led by the Director of Security and Intelligence Division at the Ministry of Defence, S R Nathan, who later became the President of Singapore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laju_incident

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope Nathan put himself up of election again but I think he will chicken out to avoid being trashed by Tan Cheng Bok.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tan Cheng Bok himself was a former PAP man. For all we know, he kena arrow by PAP to stand for election. We need a former opposition guy to stand for the election instead

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Cheng Bok himself was a former PAP man. For all we know, he kena arrow by PAP to stand for election. We need a former opposition guy to stand for the election instead

That will be perfect but which opposition guy can satisfy the presidential criteria put up by PAP. In Singapore only MIWs can fulfil such criteria.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will be perfect but which opposition guy can satisfy the presidential criteria put up by PAP. In Singapore only MIWs can fulfil such criteria.

Exactly. The criteria is such that only MIWs and certain selected high level civil servants qualify. It's obviously an unfair strategy to keep out 'outsiders'. Criteria for presidential candidate needs to be reviewed. The opposition should kpkb on this issue

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP are crooks and bullies running the country, next election must throw them out completely.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whoever be president, local trash cannot be saved and still earn less than $3k

Focus on yourself lah chao Sinkies peasants

why bother about things that won't even affect you??????????

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
George Yeo may consider running for President

20110601.212658_i2.jpg

IN AN abrupt about-turn from his previous comments to the media, former foreign minister George Yeo has said that he is "thinking hard" about running for President.

He posted on his Facebook page saying “Many Singaporeans from different walks of life, young and old, have asked me to reconsider my decision on the Presidency, some impassionately. Thinking hard about it and praying for wisdom.”

The post has garnered more than 2000 "likes" and 673 comments as of 9.45pm. Many of the comments voiced encouragement and support.

One such comment posted by Facebook user Allan See read "Sir, you should go for it. A well loved and respected President is someone whom citizens can count on and be proud. You possess these qualities."

Mr Yeo had told the media on May 10 that he would not run for President as he didn’t think his temperament was suitable for the job.

"I'm flattered by all these proposals but I'm a free spirit. I don't think my temperament is suited for such a job," he said at a media conference.

He also told the media at the same press conference that he would not contest in the next General Election.

“Many of my supporters asked me to stay on to win back Aljunied in five years time. I wanted to level with them and told them last night that it is better for a younger person to take on this important task. I'm already 57 years old and would be 62 by then,” he said.

Mr Yeo was part of the People's Action Party (PAP) team which contested Aljunied GRC in the recent May 7 General Election.

The PAP team lost to The Workers’ Party team, which won the constituency with 54.71 per cent of the votes.

Aspiring presidential candidates

Mr Yeo is not the only one who have indicated interest in running for President.

Another potential presidential candidate emerged today, an entrepreneur named Mike Lee.

In an interview with Shin Min Daily News, Mr Lee said he had sent someone to collect the application forms for the Certificate of Eligibility from the Elections Department.

The 57-year-old is currently a private consultant for American company Maxsys Holdings.

He told the Chinese newspaper that he had 35 years of industrial experience and that Singapore’s reserves could be better put to use. For example, the reserves could be used to help the elderly battle rising inflation and medical costs, he said.

Former MP Tan Cheng Bock confirmed that he would be a candidate in the coming presidential election.

Dr Tan, 71, quit the PAP in early May.

When asked if he had sufficient relevant experience to be President, he cited his work as non-executive chairman of Chuan Hup investment holding company since 1991. Company documents state its issued and paid-up capital as $189 million.

Applications for the presidency opens today. Aspiring presidential candidates can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility and collect application forms from the Secretary of the Presidential Elections Committee at the Elections Department.

Applications will close on the third day after the Writ of Election is issued.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
George Yeo may consider running for President

IN AN abrupt about-turn from his previous comments to the media, former foreign minister George Yeo has said that he is "thinking hard" about running for President.

He posted on his Facebook page saying “Many Singaporeans from different walks of life, young and old, have asked me to reconsider my decision on the Presidency, some impassionately. Thinking hard about it and praying for wisdom.”

人民期望, 黄袍加身. George Yeo to contest the Presidential election. :biggrin:

Last edited:

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
The guy used to be a hero

WAH LAO ... Let terrorists run away without bringing them to justice .... also can receive national day award ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laju_incident

This was followed by a few days of intense negotiations, during which two hostages managed to escape by jumping overboard in the middle of the night. The terrorists later agreed to release the other crew members in exchange for a party of "guarantors" for their safe passage to the Middle East. This 13-men party consisted of four commandos from the Singapore Armed Forces and eight other government officials. The party was led by the Director of Security and Intelligence Division at the Ministry of Defence, S R Nathan, who later became the President of Singapore

On the night of 7 February, the group was transferred from Laju to the Marine Police Headquarters and then to Paya Lebar Airport where the terrorists surrendered their weapons. After they freed the remaining three hostages, the four terrorists left Singapore on 8 February at 1:25 am, accompanied by Nathan’s team on a specially arranged Japan Airlines flight to Kuwait. After reaching Kuwait, the 13-men party flew back and reached Singapore on the following day.
All members of the negotiating team received National Day Honours.

Last edited: