• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yunnan landslide: 4 dead, 88 missing

SwineHunter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yunnan landslide: 4 dead, 88 missing

Updated: 2010-08-20 07:15

GONGSHAN, Yunnan - Four people are confirmed dead and 88 others are still missing on Thursday, a day after mudslides hit a remote mountainous town in Southwest China's Yunnan province, local authorities said. By 5 pm on Thursday, rescuers had found two more bodies, bringing the death toll to four, said Hou Xinrong, deputy head of the Derung-Nu autonomous county of Gongshan.

<table style="font-size: 14px;" border="1"> <tbody></tbody></table>Most of the missing people are employees of the Yujin Iron Mine and villagers in the Puladi township of Gongshan, where mudslides struck at about 1:30 am on Wednesday. "It was raining hard on Tuesday night, but I didn't think much of it because such weather is common in this region," said Li Xiuhua, whose eight relatives are among those missing in the hardest hit Litoudi village.

Li survived because she does not live in the low-lying valley areas, but high in the mountains. "I was awoken late in the night by cries from the villagers: 'Run! A mudslide! Run to the higher place'," she recalled. "I ran out of my house and saw that the village in the valley had disappeared and houses were buried under m&d and rocks. I could hear loud cries everywhere.

Some of the villagers were desperately digging the m&d to find their relatives. "If it had been daytime, more people could have been saved. But my mother, my elder sister, her husband, and my nieces...., I lost all of them," Li said. More than 1,000 residents have been evacuated, and some 30 injured are being treated, said He Zhengjiang, a publicity official in Gongshan.

"The mudslides spread across an area of about 130 mu (8.7 hectares) and left behind some 300,000 cubic meters of m&d and rock," he said. At least 10 trucks carrying iron ore and 21 houses were buried. Roads were damaged, and power supplies and telecommunications were disrupted. The mudslides also destroyed a bridge and blocked parts of the Nujiang River flowing through the mountains, lifting the water level in the upper reaches by up to 6 meters.

Days of torrential rain triggered the mudslides, local officials said. The central and local authorities have allocated emergency funds and sent relief teams, tents, quilts, overcoats, clothes and rice to the area. More than 1,100 people, including police officers, firefighters and border troops, have been mobilized for the rescue and search operation in the sparsely populated area bordering Myanmar.

Tang Wenjun, an officer with the Nujiang contingent of frontier defense, said he had led a 15-strong squad to disinfect the mudslide-hit area and nearby residential areas. The villagers and rescuers could call their family for free via five satellite phones provided by the local telecommunications operator.

"We also provided them with handset chargers and phone cards," said Luo Binggong, general manager of the Gongshan branch of China Mobile Communication Corporation. In a temporary settlement center in Litoudi Village, a Xinhua reporter saw more than 20 villagers whose homes had been leveled by the mudslides huddling in a 40-square-meter room, with relief goods piled up in a corner.

"The villagers have kept coming, and we're trying our best to ensure that everyone has something to eat and places to sleep. Now, their emotions are basically stable," said Li Yongxiang, deputy head of Puladi township. Besides rescuers, many residents from nearby villages had also rushed to help, said Li Jun, head of Litoudi village.

On June 26 in Puladi, a mudslide killed 11 people at the construction site of a hydropower station. Torrential rains have wreaked havoc across China this summer, incurring the worst flooding and landslides in decades. Massive mudslides on Aug 8 in Zhouqu county, in Gansu province, have left 1,287 people dead and 457 missing.

SwineHunter

Alfrescian
Loyal

13452885_21n.jpg

Rescuers stand in mudslides-hit Puladi Township of Gongshan Drung-Nu Autonomous County, southwest China's Yunnan Province, Aug. 19, 2010.
Mudslides hit the township early Wednesday. (Xinhua/Wang Changshan)

13452885_31n.jpg

Rescuers carry the body of a victim in mudslides-hit Puladi Township of Gongshan Drung-Nu Autonomous County, southwest China's Yunnan Province,
Aug. 19, 2010. Mudslides hit the township early Wednesday. (Xinhua/Wang Changshan)

13452885_221n.jpg

Rescuers carry the body of a victim in mudslides-hit Puladi Township of Gongshan Drung-Nu Autonomous County, southwest China's Yunnan Province,
Aug. 19, 2010. Mudslides hit the township early Wednesday. (Xinhua/Wang
Changshan)

SwineHunter

Alfrescian
Loyal

0013729c04950dd823c701.jpg

An injured man gets medical treatment on Aug 19. Nine villagers who survived the mudslide in Puladi, Southwest China’s Yunnan province, were seriously hurt but had no life-threatening injuries, Aug 19. They were sent to People’s Hospital of Fugong, an adjacent county, and received medical treatment. [Photo/Xinhua]

0013729c04950dd8240402.jpg

A doctor examines a patient seriously injured in the mudslide in Puladi, Yunnan province on Aug 19. Nine villagers who survived the mudslide in Puladi, Southwest China’s Yunnan province, were seriously hurt but had no life-threatening injuries, Aug 19. They were sent to People’s Hospital of Fugong, an adjacent county, and received medical treatment. [Photo/Xinhua]

0013729c04950dd8243203.jpg

A mudslide survivor talks about his harrowing experience in Puladi, Yunnan province on Aug 19. Nine villagers who survived the mudslide in Puladi, Southwest China’s Yunnan province, were seriously injured but had no life-threatening symptoms, Aug 19. They were sent to People’s Hospital of Fugong, an adjacent county, and received medical treatment. [Photo/Xinhua]