• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Yang Yin thread: "Money, I love you!"

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

The accountant

yang4.jpg

Yang Yin in a police car on Nov 5, 2014. PHOTO: ST FILE

Published Jun 5, 2016, 5:00 am SGT

Former China tour guide Yang Yin was convicted last week of 120 charges of falsifying receipts and company accounts, and duping the authorities into granting him permanent residency and his wife a long-term visit pass. Court papers named several people whom he came into contact with in Singapore - a former business partner, an accountant and a form writer. The Sunday Times tracks down two of them.

Carolyn Khew

Former tour guide Yang Yin was a foreigner who knew Singapore "very well", said the accountant who was deceived into preparing financial statements for his sham firm.

He knew how the authorities worked and what documents would be needed for a company's financial statements, she said.

The receipts, which were falsified in order to make his company Young Music and Dance Studio seem legitimate, appeared genuine.

They also contained details such as the name of the person supposedly making payments to his firm, as well as the reasons for the payments.

"Everything was in order," said the accountant in her 30s, who spoke to The Sunday Times on condition of anonymity.

EVERYTHING LOOKED FINE

Everything was in order. Nothing was fishy. He had all the bills, receipts, his employment pass and even a company secretary.

THE ACCOUNTANT, who is in her 30s and agreed to speak to The Sunday Times on condition of anonymity.

"Nothing was fishy. He had all the bills, receipts, his employment pass and even a company secretary."

Yang was convicted of three cheating charges last Tuesday for dishonestly inducing the accountant to prepare financial statements based on falsified receipts made to his sham company.

The prosecution added that such acts were likely to cause damage to her reputation as an accountant.

She has a Science degree in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University and became a member of international accounting body Association of Chartered Certified Accountants in 2003.

She was one of the 11 witnesses the prosecution had lined up when the hearing for Yang's case started.

Yang first approached her to prepare financial statements in 2010. Her aunt knew the former tour guide, and referred her to him.

"When he first called me asking for help, I didn't agree immediately," she said, adding that she was not paid for helping him with the statements.

"I thought about it for at least two weeks before I agreed."

Between March 1, 2010 and May 24, 2011, Yang presented the accountant receipts which included payments made to his company for piano tuition, "sound tuition" and training classes to prepare for singing competitions.

There were also bank account statements and cash deposit slips, which showed deposits made into the company's account.

Subsequently, the accountant told Yang that she did not want to help him further but he insisted.

"I was doing him a favour but, subsequently, I told him that he should look for another firm," she said.

However, Yang went back to her saying that he could not find anyone else to help him and that his accounts were simple to do.

And so she agreed to help him again with financial statements for his company dated May 27, 2013 and Aug 18, 2014.

It was only at end-2014 that she came to know of the case after the immigration authorities approached her for more information on what had happened.

"I didn't read the newspapers and didn't know about him... After ICA (the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) approached me, I tried calling him but I couldn't locate him," she said.

In court papers, it was mentioned that had she known she had been deceived, the accountant would not have helped the 42-year-old.

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yang Yin duped accountant into preparing sham firm's financial statement

ST_20160601_YANG01GRNW_2332985_0.jpg

Photo: The Straits Times

Carolyn Khew, Toh Yong Chuan
Sunday, Jun 5, 2016

Former China tour guide Yang Yin was convicted last week of 120 charges of falsifying receipts and company accounts, and duping the authorities into granting him permanent residency and his wife a long-term visit pass. Court papers named several people whom he came into contact with in Singapore - a former business partner, an accountant and a form writer. The Sunday Times tracks down two of them.

The accountant

Former tour guide Yang Yin was a foreigner who knew Singapore "very well", said the accountant who was deceived into preparing financial statements for his sham firm.

He knew how the authorities worked and what documents would be needed for a company's financial statements, she said.

The receipts, which were falsified in order to make his company Young Music and Dance Studio seem legitimate, appeared genuine.

They also contained details such as the name of the person supposedly making payments to his firm, as well as the reasons for the payments.

"Everything was in order," said the accountant in her 30s, who spoke to The Sunday Times on condition of anonymity.

"Nothing was fishy. He had all the bills, receipts, his employment pass and even a company secretary."

Yang was convicted of three cheating charges last Tuesday for dishonestly inducing the accountant to prepare financial statements based on falsified receipts made to his sham company.

The prosecution added that such acts were likely to cause damage to her reputation as an accountant.

She has a Science degree in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University and became a member of international accounting body Association of Chartered Certified Accountants in 2003.

She was one of the 11 witnesses the prosecution had lined up when the hearing for Yang's case started.

Yang first approached her to prepare financial statements in 2010. Her aunt knew the former tour guide, and referred her to him.

"When he first called me asking for help, I didn't agree immediately," she said, adding that she was not paid for helping him with the statements.

"I thought about it for at least two weeks before I agreed."

Between March 1, 2010 and May 24, 2011, Yang presented the accountant receipts which included payments made to his company for piano tuition, "sound tuition" and training classes to prepare for singing competitions.

There were also bank account statements and cash deposit slips, which showed deposits made into the company's account.

Subsequently, the accountant told Yang that she did not want to help him further but he insisted.

"I was doing him a favour but, subsequently, I told him that he should look for another firm," she said.

However, Yang went back to her saying that he could not find anyone else to help him and that his accounts were simple to do.

And so she agreed to help him again with financial statements for his company dated May 27, 2013 and Aug 18, 2014.

It was only at end-2014 that she came to know of the case after the immigration authorities approached her for more information on what had happened.

"I didn't read the newspapers and didn't know about him... After ICA (the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) approached me, I tried calling him but I couldn't locate him," she said.

In court papers, it was mentioned that had she known she had been deceived, the accountant would not have helped the 42-year-old.

[email protected]

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting news in Chinese papers.
Yang Ying ralative asked a very sensitive question:

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/story20160608-431374
杨寅表姐来新探监:杨寅诉狱中苦
杨寅当初迁出豪宅,后悔没与妻小回中国,如今身陷牢狱失自由、骨肉分离、没有收入,狱中三苦让他向亲人感叹生不如死,就像做了一场梦。

中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)被指侵占富婆钟庆春(89岁)一案延烧超过一年半,《新明日报》昨日专访杨寅的“姐姐”程小姐(45岁,连锁餐馆老板)。

与杨寅以姐弟相称的程小姐其实是他的表姐,两人都是家中独生子女,年龄相仿,因此情同姐弟,这段期间都是她代表家里往返杭州与新加坡探望他。

昨早就到狱中探视他的程小姐说,如今失信案即将开打,弟弟向她感叹,后悔当时没跟妻小回国,这里什么东西其实都可以不要。

问富婆家人:这6年你们在干什么?完整报道,请翻阅08.06.2016《新明日报》。

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
20160107_ln_yanyin-01.jpg

杨寅声称拿富婆的110万元买七幅画,包括花50万元买徐悲鸿名作,但控方指他一派胡言,画作来源另有真相,杨寅是背信弃义失信富婆的钱财。

延烧了一年多的中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)涉嫌侵占富婆钟庆春(89岁)资产的刑事案,今早在国家法院开审,控方揭露杨寅的失信手段。

本案于前年9月被揭发后轰动全城,杨寅当时被指侵占富婆4000万元财产。警方介入调查后,于前年10月31日将杨寅控上国家法院。

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/story20160701-436291

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
富婆好友揭杨寅破绽
千元普通画作当徐悲鸿名画

20160705_ln_yang-01.jpg

杨寅声称拿富婆的110万元去买七幅画,结果庭上被踢爆其中一幅是由富婆与好友花1680元在百胜楼购得,杨寅甚至搞错画名,把默默无闻的作品,取名为徐悲鸿名作《奔马图》。延烧一年多的中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)涉嫌侵占富婆钟庆春(89岁)资产的失信罪刑事案,今早在国家法院续审。

杨寅面对两项失信罪:第一项失信控状指杨寅在2010年2月19日挪用钟庆春50万元款项,第二项失信控状则指杨寅在2012年1月18日,从钟庆春的华侨银行户头挪用60万元。

杨寅声称是拿钱去买七幅画,但控方指根本没这回事,昨午的审讯也揭露,在涉案画作当中,至少两幅画作的出处与杨寅无关,揭露杨寅“买画之说”的两大破绽。

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/story20160705-437032

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yang Yin trial: '$500,000 painting? It's a fake worth $200'

Mr Huang was Madam Chung's relationship manager at OCBC from 2009 to 2010.

ST_20160706_CKYANG06_2420880.jpg

An art expert said the painting, Horse Drinking Water, was an imitation. She also said another piece, of a woman lying on a couch (above), was neither a masterpiece nor coveted by high-paying collectors. PHOTOS: COURT DOCUMENTS

Published 6 hours ago

Art expert rubbishes ex-tour guide's claims about cost of works he had bought for Madam Chung

Carolyn Khew

A painting which Yang Yin claimed he had bought for $500,000 was dismissed by an art expert yesterday as nothing more than a cheap fake that would have cost $200 in a night market.

Madam Lim Sew Yong, chairman of Raffles Fine Arts Auctioneers, also rubbished a set of five other paintings the former tour guide from China said he had bought on behalf of a widow for $600,000.

Madam Lim valued them at $2,000 to $3,000 altogether, and told the court that it would be "stupid" for anyone to pay much more.

Madam Lim was taking the stand on the third day of Yang's trial, in which the 42-year-old is fighting charges that he dishonestly misappropriated $1.1 million from Madam Chung Khin Chun, a wealthy widow he met in 2008, and a year later moved into her Gerald Crescent bungalow.

He claims that he used the money to buy paintings for Madam Chung, a known art lover.
An art expert said the painting, Horse Drinking Water (above), was an imitation. She also said another piece, of a woman lying on a couch, was neither a masterpiece nor coveted by high-paying collectors. PHOTOS: COURT DOCUMENTS

But yesterday, as he stared on impassively, the court heard that the paintings were worth far less.

The prosecution called on Madam Lim, who set up Raffles Fine Arts Auctioneers in 1992. She had been asked to look into the paintings bought by Yang Yin.

One was titled Horse Drinking Water, which Yang claimed was by renowned Chinese artist Xu Beihong and cost $500,000. It had been folded several times and stuffed into an envelope, which was found in Yang's luggage during a police search.

Madam Lim said it was an imitation based on two original works by the artist. "If this were to be sold in the pasar malam, China night market, it would be worth about 1,000 yuan - equivalent to $200," she said.

Madam Lim said she knew the artist's wife, who told her that the original paintings were done on double-layered paper. The painting Yang had was not, and it also appeared "relatively new".

Deputy Public Prosecutor Sanjiv Vaswani asked if an original would have been "folded up like a roti prata?". Madam Lim said no, adding it should have at least been rolled up and kept in a box.

"As a collector I would not treat the painting in this manner."

As for the other pieces, Madam Lim said they were neither masterpieces nor coveted by high-paying collectors. Two were original while the others - including one of a woman lying on a couch, were either lithographs copied by machines or of "not very high quality".

Yang's lawyer Irving Choh argued, however, that value of art is not a science and it is up to the buyer to decide how much he is prepared to pay. In the market, it is "willing buyer, willing seller".

Mr Choh also highlighted the testimony of Mr David Fu, director of auction house 33 Auction, who said the painting of the woman lying on the couch was bought by Yang for $8,960 at an auction in 2011.

But when DPP Vaswani asked Madam Lim if she would believe anyone claiming to have bought the paintings for $600,000, outside of an auction, she said no. And if someone did, "that person would be stupid".

Also taking the stand yesterday was Madam Chung's relationship manager at OCBC for the period 2009 to 2010.

Mr Huang Yi Yao, 34, told the court how the widow, now 89, had asked, in August 2009, for Yang to be made a joint holder of her accounts.

He said Madam Chung did this because she was getting old, and wanted someone to help run her financial affairs. That did not mean Yang had any share in the money, he added. "The accused can only operate the account as Madam Chung sees fit," said Mr Huang.

Her accounts included unit trust investments, which were "substantial", he explained. He told the court that as he went through the investments with Madam Chung and Yang, he noticed how the latter seemed interested in them.

He "leaned forward", recalled Mr Huang, and he "opened his eyes bigger".

The trial continues tomorrow.

jw5

Loyal
Her accounts included unit trust investments, which were "substantial", he explained. He told the court that as he went through the investments with Madam Chung and Yang, he noticed how the latter seemed interested in them.

He "leaned forward", recalled Mr Huang, and he "opened his eyes bigger".

The trial continues tomorrow.

Always beware whenever you show a stranger a list of your assets and he opens his eyes bigger. :biggrin:

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yang Yin trial: Accused told police officer he 'forgot' $500k was a gift

yang3.jpg

Yang Yin seen in a police car in 2014. PHOTO: ST FILE

Published Jul 8, 2016, 5:00 am SGT

Asked by prosecution if this made sense, police investigator told court: 'It did not'

Toh Yong Chuan
Manpower Correspondent
Carolyn Khew

How could anyone "forget" being given a $500,000 sum as a gift?

Yang Yin did, claiming this was why he first told police that the money had been entrusted to him to buy a painting for an elderly widow, before changing his story.

Asked by Deputy Public Prosecutor Nicholas Tan if this made sense, the police officer who questioned the 42-year-old former China tour guide - who is fighting charges that he misappropriated $1.1 million from the widow - told the court yesterday: "It did not."

On the fourth day of the trial, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Jane Lim took the stand and was asked about the differing accounts Yang gave about a $500,000 sum that was moved from the widow's bank account to his, then back to her account before landing in his father's account in China.

DSP Lim, a Commercial Affairs Department senior investigation officer, said Yang first told police the 89-year-old widow had given him $500,000 to buy a painting of a horse - which in earlier testimony was dismissed as a fake that would cost only $200. But he later claimed the money was a gift. When asked to clarify, DSP Lim said Yang replied: "I forgot that she gave me the money as a gift. That was why I did not state so earlier."

DSP Lim said she then asked him why he would use the money to buy a painting of unknown origin for the widow, Madam Chung Khin Chun. "My grandmother, Madam Chung, likes the painting," he replied.

$500k: Gift or for buying painting?

Extracts of police statement by Yang Yin (above) read out in court

Q: Madam Chung believed that the painting was a real work of Xu Beihong's and entrusted you with $500,000 to buy the painting. Is this correct?
A: Yes. We discussed and felt that the painting was not bad.

Q: You stated that Madam Chung transferred $504,000 into your bank account for the purpose of buying Xu Beihong's "Yin Ma Tu". Then... you stated that Madam Chung gave you $500,000 as a gift. Can you clarify if the $500,000 was entrusted to you to buy a painting or was it a gift to you?
A: It was a gift to me.

Q: If it was a gift to you, then can you tell me why you did not state so earlier when asked about it?
A: I forgot that she gave me the money as a gift. That was why I did not state so earlier.

Q: Since it was a gift to you, why did you choose to buy a painting of unknown origin for $500,000?
A: My grandmother, Madam Chung, likes the painting.

The painting is one of the key pieces of evidence in the prosecution's case. DSP Lim yesterday also recounted how Yang came to purchase Horse Drinking Water, which Yang claims is by renowned Chinese artist Xu Beihong.

Yang told police he met the seller, a Mr Zhu, at a flea market in Hangzhou in 2010. He then took a photo of the painting and showed it to Madam Chung, whom he was living with then in her Gerald Crescent bungalow. He claimed she then asked him to buy it.

He told police that he bought the painting for $500,000 and brought it back to Singapore in 2010. Madam Chung then wanted him to frame the painting, so he brought it to China. He did nothing to it until September 2014, when Madam Chung's niece sued him.

As he was ordered to declare his assets, he needed take an inventory and asked a friend to take the painting from Hangzhou to Japan where he was on a business trip. The painting was later found in Yang's suitcase and seized by police during a raid at a Fernview flat on Sept 17, 2014. It had been folded repeatedly and stuffed in an envelope.

Mr Huang Yi Yao, who was Madam Chung's OCBC bank relationship manager from 2009 to 2010, yesterday told the court how the $500,000 finally ended in the bank account of Yang's father, Mr Yang Sannan, in China in February 2010. Mr Huang did not know who Mr Yang Sannan was at that time.

"The accused explained that the monies were for his mother in China and Madam Chung who sat in front of me confirmed that," said Mr Huang.

The roundabout transfer - from Yang to Madam Chung and then to China - had avoided "red flags" that would arise had Yang made the transfer directly as he was unemployed then, said Mr Huang.

Accountant Ong Sok Hun, who also took the stand yesterday, testified that the accused had sought her help to prepare accounts for his company Young Music and Dance Studio, based on receipts and other documents he provided to her.

Yang had in May pleaded guilty to 120 charges, including offences involving his permanent residency and falsification of receipts.

Meanwhile, Madam Chung, who was diagnosed with dementia in 2014, will not be taking the stand. Doctors appointed separately by the prosecution and defence had examined her last week and found that she was mentally unfit.

The hearing continues today.

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yang Yin trial: Ex-tour guide intends to plead guilty to criminal breach of trust charges

ckyang08.jpg

Former tour guide Yang Yin, 42, intends to plead guilty to two criminal breach of trust charges. PHOTO: ST FILE

Published Jul 8, 2016, 12:13 pm SGT
Carolyn Khew
Toh Yong Chuan
Manpower Correspondent

SINGAPORE - Former tour guide Yang Yin, 42, intends to plead guilty to two criminal breach of trust charges for dishonestly misappropriating $1.1 million from a wealthy widow.

"My client in an unusual twist has decided to plead guilty to two charges," said Yang's lawyer Irving Choh in court on Friday (July 8).

The next hearing is scheduled for July 27.

The prosecution has charged that Yang had on two separate occasions misappropriated $500,000 and $600,000 from Madam Chung Khin Chun, 89. He had argued that these were used to buy paintings for Madam Chung.

In May, Yang had pleaded guilty to 120 charges relating to immigration offences and falsification of receipts - 110 charges were for the falsification of receipts made to his company, while the remaining were for immigration and cheating offences, as well as breaking Company Act laws.

He was arrested in September 2014 and charged a month later with a slew of offences, mostly falsifying receipts made to his company, Young Dance and Music Studio, so he could stay in Singapore.

The Straits Times first reported on the high-profile case in 2014 when Madam Hedy Mok, the niece of Madam Chung, commenced a series of legal actions against Yang in the High Court.

Yang got to know Madam Chung when he acted as her private tour guide during a trip to Beijing in 2008.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
杨寅代管富婆财政
1个月出3招 245万转移杨家名下

SM_23_09_2014_CJ_1_26239222_26150429_seowqw_x5sje-NEW.jpg

代管变转移?杨寅被踢爆掌管富婆现金户头、单位信托和储蓄保险等财务后,一个月内三招将至少245万元转入杨家名下,即使是保险死亡收益,也将归杨家所有!

中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)被指失信富婆钟庆春(89岁)共110万元,审讯今早进入第四天。

曾担任富婆银行客户经理的黄奕耀(34岁)今早继续供证,揭露杨寅在2009年8月4日获悉富婆名下还有巨额单位信托的投资户头,10月又再度与富婆前往银行,申请成为这些单位信托资户头的联名持有者。

但他重申,如同富婆在8月间授权杨寅成为联名持有者的现金户头,这个单位信托户头仍然全额属于富婆,她只是让杨寅管理,帮忙看管投资项目。

不过,黄奕耀接着踢爆,杨寅隔年2月19日至3月16日短短一个月内,将至少245万元转到杨家名下。

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Till now still no sound no shadow of the name of the lawyer who prepared the Lasting Power of Attorney ? Isn't he or she the key witness to the entire saga ?

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]杨寅要认罪 又“反悔”要抗辩[/h]
又出现戏剧性转折!杨寅面对失信罪审讯,上周变卦表示要认罪,如今竟“反悔”,又要上庭辩清白,表姐向《新明日报》证实并表示将继续打官司!

中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)涉嫌失信富婆钟庆春(89岁)110万元,失信案本月1日开审,上周五却出现戏剧性一幕,杨寅突然表示放弃抗辩,有意认罪。
案件原本展延至本月27日让他认罪,不过《新明日报》联系上周一前来探视杨寅的表姐程小姐(45岁,连锁餐馆老板),从她口中得知,杨寅又改变主意,决定继续抗辩。
据报道,杨寅原定在5月底针对两项失信罪以外的347项罪名展开抗辩,却在开审第一天表示有意认罪,第二天认下这些罪名,但针对两项被指失信富婆110万元的罪名选择抗辩。

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
halo pian ah um 救國基金 ah tiong chin chia long zong huat leow si boh

杨寅要认罪 又“反悔”要抗辩
案件原本展延至本月27日让他认罪,不过《新明日报》联系上周一前来探视杨寅的表姐程小姐(45岁,连锁餐馆老板),从她口中得知,杨寅又改变主意,决定继续抗辩。

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-tour guide Yang Yin does U-turn and decides to continue with trial to show more evidence

32.jpg

Yang Yin seen in a police car on Nov 5, 2014. He has changed his mind and will not be pleading guilty. PHOTO: ST FILE

Published 10 hours ago
Amir Hussain

SINGAPORE - In another mid-trial twist, former China tour guide Yang Yin, who is facing two charges of misappropriating $1.1 million belonging to an elderly widow, on Wednesday (July 27) said he had changed his mind and would not be pleading guilty.

Three weeks ago, on the fifth day of his trial, Yang, 42, had abruptly decided to throw in the towel. His lawyer Irving Choh told the court: "My client, in an unusual twist, has decided to plead guilty to two charges."

But on Wednesday (July 27) morning, Mr Choh said: "He has changed his mind."

Asked by Deputy Presiding Judge of the State Courts Jennifer Marie to confirm his decision, Yang told the court through a Mandarin interpreter: "Yes I confirm what my counsel has said, because we have many (pieces of) evidence that we have yet to show."

Yang is accused of committing criminal breach of trust involving $500,000 on Feb 19, 2010, and involving $600,000 on Jan 18, 2012 - amounts which the prosecution has described as "by no means trivial".

He got to know the elderly widow, 89-year-old Madam Chung Khin Chun, who is childless and was diagnosed with dementia in 2014, when he was her tour guide in Beijing in 2008. He moved in to stay with her at her Gerald Crescent bungalow a year after they met. In 2010, she made a will in which he stood to inherit everything.

However, in April last year, the courts recognised a new statutory will that her niece, Madam Hedy Mok, made on her behalf. Under the new will, most of her assets would go to charity.

Madam Mok took out a series of civil actions in 2014, claiming her aunt had been unduly influenced by Yang, putting the case in the media spotlight. She also sued him for manipulating the widow to control her assets, estimated at $40 million.

Yang was arrested in September 2014 and charged a month later with a slew of crimes - mostly falsifying receipts made to his company, Young Dance and Music Studio, so he could stay in Singapore. He was also charged with cheating, immigration crimes, and breaking Companies Act laws. He has been in remand since October 2014.

On May 31, he pleaded guilty to 120 out of 347 charges; the rest will be taken into account when he is sentenced after the ongoing trial for his most serious charges are over.

On the sixth day of the trial on Wednesday (July 27), Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Jane Lim Miaoqing took the stand again as the prosecution's 11th and final witness.

The investigator with the police's Commercial Affairs Department told the court that Yang twice lied during recorded interviews in late October 2014.

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Accused changes his mind, won't plead guilty

st_20160728_xyang_24752522.jpg

Yang says he changed his mind because he has more evidence to submit. He is accused of misappropriating $1.1 million belonging to Madam Chung. ST FILE PHOTO

Published 37 min ago

Former tour guide reverses decision he made three weeks ago and now says he is innocent

Amir Hussain

Three weeks after abruptly deciding to plead guilty to two charges of misappropriating $1.1 million belonging to a widow, former China tour guide Yang Yin performed another U-turn yesterday and said he was innocent.

Yang's lawyer Irving Choh, at a court hearing earlier this month, said: "My client, in an unusual twist, has decided to plead guilty to two charges."

But yesterday, Mr Choh said: "He has changed his mind."

Asked by Deputy Presiding Judge of the State Courts Jennifer Marie to confirm his decision, Yang, through a Mandarin interpreter, said: "Yes, I confirm what my counsel has said, because we have more evidence, which we have yet to submit."

Yang, 42, is accused of committing criminal breach of trust involving $500,000 on Feb 19, 2010, and involving $600,000 on Jan 18, 2012 - amounts that the prosecution has described as "by no means trivial".

He got to know Madam Chung Khin Chun, 89, who was diagnosed with dementia in 2014, when he was her tour guide in Beijing in 2008. Madam Chung and her late husband Chou Sip King did not have any children.

Yang came to Singapore and moved into Madam Chung's Gerald Crescent bungalow a year after they met. In 2010, Madam Chung made a will in which Yang stood to inherit everything.

However, in April last year, the courts recognised a new statutory will that her niece, Madam Hedy Mok, made on her behalf, that would leave most of her assets to charity.

Madam Mok took out a series of civil actions in 2014, saying her aunt had been unduly influenced by Yang. She also sued him for manipulating the widow to control her assets, worth an estimated $40 million.

Yang was arrested in September 2014 and charged a month later with a slew of crimes - mostly related to falsifying receipts made to his company, Young Dance and Music Studio, so he could stay in Singapore.

He was also charged with cheating, immigration crimes, and breaking Companies Act laws.

He has been in remand since October 2014.

On May 31, he pleaded guilty to 120 out of 347 charges. The rest will be taken into account when he is sentenced, after the ongoing trial for his most serious charges is over.

On the sixth day of the trial yesterday, DSP Jane Lim Miaoqing took the stand again as the prosecution's 11th and final witness.

The investigator with the Commercial Affairs Department said Yang lied twice during recorded interviews in October 2014.

Yang had first said he withdrew $600,000 from Madam Chung's bank account in January 2012 to buy five paintings with the money.

Later, he said: "Actually, my grandmother (Madam Chung) asked me to take out $600,000. I passed her the cash after I withdrew it."

However, he later did a U-turn. "After thinking about it, I realised that I did buy the five paintings and I do not know why I told you otherwise just now."

Mr Choh told the court that Madam Chung and Yang had agreed not to let anyone find out she had passed him the money "because she knew the transfer of monies from her to him would cause jealousy and gossip".

But the deputy superintendent disagreed with Mr Choh's assertion. She also disagreed that the money was a gift from Madam Chung to Yang.

The trial continues on Tuesday next week, and Yang is expected to take the stand.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
杨寅今早惊爆:
富婆曾指挚友是亡夫情妇

表罪成立的杨寅今早惊爆,称富婆曾指挚友是亡夫情妇,因他介入而要搬离豪宅,还指她临走前向他开口,要分富婆一半家产!

中国籍前导游杨寅(42岁)被控失信富婆钟庆春(89岁)110万元,经6天审讯,今早被判表罪成立,选择亲自上证人栏答辩。这也是他在被控以来近两年首次为自己辩驳。

他今早惊爆,称富婆曾告诉他一个秘密,指挚友张碧贞(86岁)其实是亡夫邹习经医生的情妇,他听了非常震惊。

张碧贞是控方证人之一,之前上庭供证时透露,她在1958年认识富婆与邹习经医生,1985年退休不当老师之后,经常到访富婆豪宅,1989年至2001年之间,每年都会伴他们夫妻俩同游中国。

AlveroPeter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SCCCI lodges police report against Chinese tour guide embroiled in $40m asset tus

I bet there are less people who doesn't love money. Actually money is need for all work and everywhere.

Prodigy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yang says widow saw him as 'grandson' she never had

ST_20160803_XCHUNG_2491135.jpg

Madam Chung Khin Chun (left) and her niece Hedy Mok arriving at the State Courts yesterday. Madam Mok had sued Yang in 2014, claiming that he had unduly influenced her aunt, who was diagnosed with dementia that year.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Published
20 min ago

Ex-tour guide claims she gifted him $1.1m,willed him rest of her assets

Amir Hussain

For more than two hours on the stand yesterday, former China tour guide Yang Yin gave his side of the story in a saga that has transfixed Singapore.

Accused of siphoning $1.1 million from a rich, childless widow, he told the court that 89-year-old Chung Khin Chun had gifted him the money and willed him the rest of her assets, worth an estimated $40 million and including a bungalow at Gerald Crescent, in exchange for his companionship. She saw him as the "grandson" she never had, he said.

"I felt very lucky... She asked me to be by her side forever, not to leave her. I agreed," said the 42-year-old, who in 2014 was sued by Madam Chung's niece Hedy Mok. She claimed he had unduly influenced her aunt, who was diagnosed with dementia that year.

"In 2011, (Madam Mok) knew that Madam Chung had gifted me the money. Why didn't she make the report then? Madam Chung was still clear in her head, she could still testify," said Yang. He also claimed that Madam Chung's close friend, Madam Chang Phie Chin, 86, who had lived with her, was her husband's mistress. "This is a secret in their family," said Yang.

Yang said he first came to Singapore in 2006 for a travel fair, where he met Madam Chung and her husband, Dr Chou Sip King, who died in mid-2007. Madam Chung and Madam Chang met him again when they went to Beijing for a holiday in end-2008. There, Yang got closer to Madam Chung, who asked him to call her daily after her return. He said she later asked him to "accompany" her to Singapore, telling him that she would support him financially.

Yang arrived in 2009 after Chinese New Year and was given a hongbao of $5,000. A few days, later he claimed she told him she wanted to leave him everything - and such a will was made the next year.

He claimed he asked her if she was sure and she replied: "You are my grandson. A granny gives her money to her grandson. Is there anything wrong with that?" Last April, the courts recognised a new statutory will that will leave most of Madam Chung's assets to charity.

Madam Chung's friends would visit her about once a month, while her niece would visit her once every few months, Yang said. Madam Chung told him to avoid the visitors because she "did not want others to know about (their) relationship".

In 2013, after Chinese New Year, she told him to bring his wife and two children over to Singapore, and they arrived in August 2013. "Madam Chung was very happy because she had the children to play with. She felt that the home was livelier. It did not seem as boring as when the two of us were alone together," said Yang, who is set to be cross-examined by the prosecution today.

As for the money that is the subject of the criminal breach of trust charges, Yang admitted lying to police about using it to buy paintings for Madam Chung. But that was because she did not want others to know about it, to avoid jealousy and gossip. He said $500,000 was a gift to help with family debts and $600,000 was returned to Madam Chung after she asked for it.