• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WTF! WP Accepts 2 NCMP Posts. Self Serving Memeber QUITS! LOL!!!

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like there're still cracks in WP machinery to be fixed. GRC NCMP entitlements should have been agreed upon before election, not after.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any party member should up their party interest above all other interest. Eric claimed that he wanted to represent the voters voice, but I believe other members in WP can do likewise. Obviously Eric is looking for more for personal interest than party interest. He want the NCMP allowance so badly. HOwever with Gerald Giam, he can speak well in english and connect to non-chinese group, he is young and NCMP is a good training ground for him to be the next elected-MP moving forward. WP need more English speaking candidates and not someone like Eric Tan who speak good mandarin with a little Beng style.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like there're still cracks in WP machinery to be fixed. GRC NCMP entitlements should have been agreed upon before election, not after.

I think its hard to say. Because it also depends on elections performance. Take for example, no one would have thought Nicole Seah will be a factor. You can never tell how the electorate will respond. However, I think its important to have individuals who have that "click" with the masses. No matter how well educated or what kind of background you have, you do not have the X factor, then its too bad.

Unfortunately, being a politician is being a public figure. You can't say that its just serving the people only. If thats the case, you can join grassroots or be a social worker. That one confirm 100% serving people. Politicians need charisma. You can build it up if you are willing to work hard and you have a PAP platform. Take for example, LHL. He was damn irritating but he has evolved to be quite good with the crowds. Look at the effects of that last minute apology... BUT unless you are LHL or Lee Hong Yi and the party is PAP, no political party in singapore can afford to put in that kind of investment.

Eric Tan, unfortunately, needs to realise he does not have that charisma. Elections coming, go and lose some weight lar... Puipui like that, who is gonna think you will be able to work... Gerald Giam has potential, that much is obvious to see. LTK is right that we need a system of renewal and made the right move. Eric Tan could have been gracious and leveraged to get more power within the WP system by giving up his slot. So shortsighted haiz... I wonder how his PE fund is doing.... hopefully he is not making the investment decisions.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any party member should up their party interest above all other interest. Eric claimed that he wanted to represent the voters voice, but I believe other members in WP can do likewise. Obviously Eric is looking for more for personal interest than party interest. He want the NCMP allowance so badly.

hi, i don't think its fair to make such accusations of Eric unless you heard him say it first hand.

all this talk of party interests vs personal interests - it sounds exactly like how the PAP treats the citizens: country vs self.

lets not forget that all countries and all parties are made up of people. and they exist to serve the interests of the people, not the other way around.

Eric has worked hard and in his own words, he feels "betrayed." wouldn't anyone who is in his position feel the same?

i can only hope cooler minds and emotions will prevail and that with time, eric will find it in himself to step up to serve the country again.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is scared he carry on anothr 5 yrs, some young punk will join his team and he will become best loser again but not be chosen for the NCMP post.

Best loser is still a loser. Real winners focus on winning, NCMP is like a consolation prize given to you for participating and losing, it is not a real prize. No doubt it may help to raise your profile but I do not consider an NCMP a real MP and I think it is much better to focus on how to win the next elections and become a real MP. I understand the disappointment and there will always be intense politicking within the Party but this action seems too much like a sore loser. He could have quitted a year or even a few months later and claimed that the Party's platform is no longer aligned with his ideas. That would have been a more savvy political move.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
:
:
In an exclusive interview with Today late Thursday night, as he drafted a statement for the media, he said: "I feel betrayed."
:
:
Mr Tan, a former banker who is now a private equity fund manager, said: "I am disappointed that Low (Thia Khiang) and part of the CEC have decided to go against the people's wishes, citing party renewal as their reason.
:
:
Mr Tan added: "I have helped build the East Coast team since 2005 and was the only one remaining after the 2006 election. I fought on and rebuilt the team, helping to gain a solid result for the party," he said.
:
"I wanted the NCMP post so that I would be able to be the voice of the people." said Mr Tan, who is also the chairman of the party's Eastern Area Committee.
:

In Lina's case, it is a case of self-interest.

However, I think Eric's case is different. His renumerations from his full time job is possible the same or higher than a MP salary, therefore, the NCMP allowance is nothing to him.

His case is an utter disappointment from LTK and family.

In any case, this yet another case of how important opposition candidates viewed the NCMP scheme to be, regardless of the NCMP lies that they spun before the GE2011. Would be interesting to see if they will still spin the same lie about the ills of NCMP weeks before GE2016 - a case of same soup, different taste!

talkincock

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In any case, this yet another case of how important opposition candidates viewed the NCMP scheme to be, regardless of the NCMP lies that they spun before the GE2011. Would be interesting to see if they will still spin the same lie about the ills of NCMP weeks before GE2016 - a case of same soup, different taste!

But no parties beats the PAP to it. :biggrin:

9802142b33db475be1e1639e8d4ce49aaab8ddc.gif

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eric is a reputable man and i thank him for getting CSM in. but why cant he just bite the bullet for the greater good? its not like LTK one man decision, its CEC voting decision. i mean if he is willing to accept the decision, i think he will have more respect from the voters in Singapore for his selflessness and will turn into support and votes in the next GE. Eric, Pls contain your emotion and think straight, this is the opportunity to show that u r a great man and different from pap people with only money in their mind.

Rakyat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Workers' Party names Yee Jenn Jong, Gerald Giam for NCMP seats

<table width="789" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td><table width="789" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="newstitle" width="500">Singapore News</td> <td valign="bottom" width="329" align="right"> <table width="282" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="25">

</td> <td width="65">
</td> <td width="25">
</td> <td width="41">
</td> <td width="25">
</td> <td width="35">
</td> <td width="31">
icon_minus.gif
</td> <td width="35">
icon_plus.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc">
shim.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table width="789" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="3" height="26"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="5"> </td> <td colspan="2" valign="top" width="784"> Workers' Party names Yee Jenn Jong, Gerald Giam for NCMP seats
By S Ramesh | Posted: 13 May 2011 1440 hrs
<table width="260" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="20" align="right"> </td> <td width="240" align="right">
phpzSyEbJ.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="60"> </td> <td class="update" valign="top" height="80"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td width="138" bgcolor="f6f6f6">Photos </td> <td width="47" bgcolor="f6f6f6">1 of 2</td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> <td width="19" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"></td> <td width="18" bgcolor="f6f6f6"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

WP Yee Jenn Jong</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td> <table style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" width="240" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="100%"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="topic" valign="top" align="left">Related News </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" align="left" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
shim.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" align="left"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="subheader" valign="top" width="4%">•</td> <td class="bodytext" width="96%">
</td><td class="bodytext" width="96%">Workers' Party's Eric Tan quits</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="subheader" valign="top" width="4%">•</td> <td class="bodytext" width="96%">
</td><td class="bodytext" width="96%">SPP's Lina Chiam to take up NCMP offer</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
shim.gif
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table width="510" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" valign="middle" width="510" height="30">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr size="1" width="510" align="left" color="#dddddd"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: The Workers' Party has named its two candidates for the Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seats.

They are Mr Yee Jenn Jong, who narrowly lost in the Joo Chiat single-member seat and Mr Gerald Giam, a member from its team for East Coast Group Representation Constituency.

In a statement on Friday, Party Chairman Sylvia Lim said after deliberation, the Central Executive Committee has decided to accept the two NCMP seats available to it.

This brings to eight the total number of seats in Parliament for the Workers' Party.

On Thursday, the Singapore People's Party's Lina Chiam announced that she would also be accepting the NCMP post.

Mrs Chiam lost narrowly to the People's Action Party's Sitoh Yi Pin in Potong Pasir.

- CNA/fa
</td></tr></tbody></table>

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

That seems reasonable but would not have been workable. If a GRC slate was prioritised in advance in terms of the 1st and 2nd person entitled to an NCMP position I think the morale of the remaining 3 teammates would have been affected during the campaign. Would they have put in as great an effort during the campaign? I doubt so. The party has done well with their approach, and it seems that the right person was awarded the seat.

jw5

Loyal
The main problem could be that he already told the press he would probably be the selected ncmp from the east coast grc team.

The loss of face was probably too much to bear. :rolleyes:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
That seems reasonable but would not have been workable. If a GRC slate was prioritised in advance in terms of the 1st and 2nd person entitled to an NCMP position I think the morale of the remaining 3 teammates would have been affected during the campaign. Would they have put in as great an effort during the campaign? I doubt so. The party has done well with their approach, and it seems that the right person was awarded the seat.

True also. No system can perfectly cover everything and we can't have the best of all worlds.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whether ET or GG, it is best to settle their grievances internally. I am sure ET can be appeased. Perhaps, his public disclosure of his own selection and thereafter GG's made him lose face, leaving him with no option but to quit. Can't blame him though. I think he made contributions to the WP since joining them. Allowing him 5 years in parliament, given his age, could have been a better option. GG has a long way to go. He is only in his 30s.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think the leaders in the party can please everyone. If the members don't agree with the rules and decisions made by leaders, then he is free to quit. If he is a sincere person he should, put the party's interest above himself. If he crave to be an MP or NCMP so much, he could have beg Mr Low to put him in his safe seat in Hougang where he sure will get his $15000 allowance a month. Why fight for a insignificant NCMP post if he earn more than $10K a month as a fund manager. I believe the NCMP post is more suited to train young and budding politicians (on the job training) before they become full MPs. Party renewal is important and the leaders should give young people more chance to express themselves.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, that party renewal is far more important. It is significant that the WP will have 3 (out of 8) people in Parliament who are 34yo -- Yaw, Pritam and Gerald.
You cannot discount the importance of attracting professionals around the same age bracket to keep on boosting the WP's membership. This is what which will
put the party in position to make a further breakthrough 5 years hence.

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main problem could be that he already told the press he would probably be the selected ncmp from the east coast grc team.

The loss of face was probably too much to bear. :rolleyes:

In contrast, Yee Jenn Jong told the press that he would leave it to the party to decide for him whether to take up the ncmp offer or not. The difference in response given to the press can tell clearly which candidate is more political savvy.

By rushing out a press statement immediately to express his unhappiness with the CEC's decision, Eric Tan has denied himself the opportunity to stay on in WP and be fielded as a candidate for EC GRC in future election. With this rash action, he may have unwittingly provided the answer on why Gerald Giam is chosen instead of him.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, that party renewal is far more important. It is significant that the WP will have 3 (out of 8) people in Parliament who are 34yo -- Yaw, Pritam and Gerald.
You cannot discount the importance of attracting professionals around the same age bracket to keep on boosting the WP's membership. This is what which will
put the party in position to make a further breakthrough 5 years hence.

Agreed that party renewal is more important than concentrating power among the old men or women within a party like PAP or SPP. Gerald Giam will be better suited to connect to the young people who will form the bulk of opposition supporters next elections. Young voters will see them as forward thinking and plan for the future and will likely to vote for them. We are grateful for what the old leaders did for Singapore in the past but if they still stick to their old values, they are going the way of dinosaurs.

quincey_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
If any of you saw that interview Eric Tan had with CNA, he was pretty explicit in staking his claim for the NCMP seat. I'm not surprise if by then he had gotten wind that the CEC favoured Gerald ahead of him, so he was strongly declaring his interest through the national media to pressure the CEC.

And lets remember one thing, everybody in that CEC, even those who voted for Gerald, worked their asses off as well in one way or another, in service to the party and the people of Singapore. Nabbing Chen Show Mao and Yee JJ was part of Eric's role as Chairman of the Eastern Committee, so lets not overstate his contributions to be above and beyond those of others in the party. For there are others who have worked tirelessly, without any expectation of recognition.. who will never ever get their chance to go on national television to openly claim their crown.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quit for not getting NCMP post? Please lah. You join a party. You did your job. That is good enough lah.

To quit over a LAUGHABLE NCMP post? Shows your inner character. Bo hay heur ma ho ah? KNN sia sway your self this ET.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="789"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" height="26">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="5"> </td> <td colspan="2" valign="top" width="784"> Workers' Party's Eric Tan quits
By Tanya Fong, TODAY | Posted: 13 May 2011 0751 hrs
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="20"> </td> <td align="right" width="240">
phpXF5EZ6.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="60" valign="top"> </td> <td class="update" height="80" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="f6f6f6" width="138">Photos </td> <td bgcolor="f6f6f6" width="47">1 of 1</td> <td bgcolor="f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"></td> <td bgcolor="f6f6f6" width="19"><input disabled="disabled" id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"></td> <td bgcolor="f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Eric Tan </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="510"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="4"><hr align="left" color="#dddddd" size="1" width="510"></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" height="30" valign="middle" width="510">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr align="left" color="#dddddd" size="1" width="510"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: With an eye on the next General Election (GE), the Workers' Party's (WP) top leadership made a strategic decision late Thursday night to select a younger member for its second Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seat.

Unfortunately, the move prompted veteran central executive committee member and party treasurer Eric Tan to quit.

In an exclusive interview with Today late Thursday night, as he drafted a statement for the media, he said: "I feel betrayed."

The WP is expected to officially announce on Friday which of its candidates will be accepting the NCMP seats.

The WP is entitled to two NCMP seats - one for 46-year-old Yee Jenn Jong, who lost narrowly in the single-seat of Joo Chiat and the other for one of the five members of its East Coast Group Representation Constituency (GRC) team.

The Thursday night meeting at Hougang Town Council saw the WP's central executive committee vote to hand the second NCMP seat to the party's assistant webmaster, 34-year-old Gerald Giam.

This was the first election the IT consultant, who joined WP in 2009, has contested.

He was part of the team in East Coast GRC which was led by 55-year-old Mr Tan.

Mr Tan, a former banker who is now a private equity fund manager, said: "I am disappointed that Low (Thia Khiang) and part of the CEC have decided to go against the people's wishes, citing party renewal as their reason.

"I too, also believe in the renewal of the party but in an orderly manner, with succession plans.

"But not like this, dropped like a bomb."

Mr Tan added: "I have helped build the East Coast team since 2005 and was the only one remaining after the 2006 election. I fought on and rebuilt the team, helping to gain a solid result for the party," he said.

"I wanted the NCMP post so that I would be able to be the voice of the people." said Mr Tan, who is also the chairman of the party's Eastern Area Committee.

The 45.17 per cent polled by the WP in East Coast GRC has led many to speculate that the WP has set its sight on making the constituency its next major battleground in five years' time.

Mr Tan is also understood to have played a role in attracting corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao and Mr Yee to join the party. It is not known if the opposition party might reconsider its decision on Friday.

- TODAY/wk

</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"> </td> <td colspan="2" valign="top"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" align="center" height="26">
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

so much for not liking and wanting to disband the system and yet you take up the post.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Thursday night meeting at Hougang Town Council saw the WP's central executive committee vote to hand the second NCMP seat to the party's assistant webmaster, 34-year-old Gerald Giam.

Where is that Generalissimo (minus 10 ranks) Goh Meng Seng? How many NCMP seats did his Nicole Seah Party turn down? He is as much a dictator as what you claim LKY to be.

Last edited: