• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WTF since when was this a norm in supermarts

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was shopping at Sembawang NTUC supermarket last Sunday. After getting what I wanted I lined up at the check out counter. There was a basket full of vegis and other stuff in the mids of the line and people were just walking over it. Suddenly an old woman appeared and yelled at all the people in the que for not moving her basket along and demanded that she should be infront of the que as her basket was holding the spot for her and all she did was went to get some items. To my horror everybody looked down or ignor her as if she was in the right and the rest was doing something wrong. I got really pissed off and yelled back at her " Lay Hum Kar Chan Yigor Or Fong tok Si Hai Lay Min Chin Lay Ying Goi Yat Or Tok Si Ar?" Don't know why but somehow that made my wife mad :( Later I got a lacture from my wife that I am too trempremental and way of of line I should treat that old lady as a dog and let her bark.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I think yr wifey was right. You shld have just ignored her (I mean the other lady) and let her rant.

Your Cantonese was also not exactly kind to her ears, if I could understand what you were dishing out.

:( Later I got a lacture from my wife that I am too trempremental and way of of line I should treat that old lady as a dog and let her bark.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't know why but somehow that made my wife mad :( Later I got a lacture from my wife that I am too trempremental and way of of line I should treat that old lady as a dog and let her bark.

Think you should've offered her your place in the queue if others are unwilling to and ignoring her. Lashing out at an old lady is kind of no-no. There're young kids around, maybe even your own kids, I don't know. We'll all grow old someday too, unless we die young. What's a few more minutes to spare to an old folk in a hurry when we're young enough to have decades ahead?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't mess around with old ladies, esp the Samsui women types.

Once I overheard an old man swearing profanities at an old Samsui woman. He was saying, "Diew kow leh!" to which the old lady replied,"Lay lah! Lay lah! yau pun shi chow lay lah!" (Come, come! if you only can!) That shut him up.

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays there are more n more people chope queue with their baskets/trolleys in the supermarkets. I often "teach" these kiasu people a lesson by picking some items from the nearby shelves n dropping them into the unattended baskets/trolleys.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's ok because when it comes to paying, they still can choose not to take it. You could get some bottled drinks, or some sweets, chocs, unwrap them and consume half of them and put them into the baskets. They will have to account for them. That'll teahc them not to leave baskets unguarded.

Nowadays there are more n more people chope queue with their baskets/trolleys in the supermarkets. I often "teach" these kiasu people a lesson by picking some items from the nearby shelves n dropping them into the unattended baskets/trolleys.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't mess around with old ladies, esp the Samsui women types.

Once I overheard an old man swearing profanities at an old Samsui woman. He was saying, "Diew kow leh!" to which the old lady replied,"Lay lah! Lay lah! yau pun shi chow lay lah!" (Come, come! if you only can!) That shut him up.

The Samsui por, I don't think there are many left today, can swear in Cantonese, that make the sailor blush!...don't you ever get into their firing line....they will swear at you, that will make even your ancestors blush!:p

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was shopping at Sembawang NTUC supermarket last Sunday. After getting what I wanted I lined up at the check out counter. There was a basket full of vegis .......... Don't know why but somehow that made my wife mad :( Later I got a lacture from my wife that I am too trempremental and way of of line I should treat that old lady as a dog and let her bark.

You are right. Old or young, each should practice consideration for others.

Firstly, line/queue control should be the duty of the staff - IF there is need for that.

Secondly, unless Old Lady asked the favour of the person behind her to move her sundries for her, NOBODY IS OBLIGATED to do that for her. I am sure most people would provide that favour with pleasure if requested politely. By expecting others to do this for her automatically, this woman is taking advantage of her "seniority." Unfortunately, your wife fell for this, tell her she should support you, and not some inconsiderate wench.

Lastly, people should be conscious that there is such a thing as "Supermarket Etiquette." Fr'instance, shoppers should stand behind their trolleys alongside merchandise close to the shelf whilst browsing and comparing, AND NOT LEAVE IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ISLE blocking the passageway while they yak on their cellphones with someone because they can't decide which brand of cooking oil to buy!

The upper-case letters are not meant for you sickpuppy, but for emphasis. Like you, more people should be vocal about such matters but instead stupidly yield to Confucianism, at the incovenience of the majority.

Cheers!

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal

This will be fun if you load the basket/trolley with condoms... Would be nice to see the reaction if the basket/trolley belongs to a couple.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hahah. I thought I was the only one who does that!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
You remember them? Ya, they were an icon. There are still remnants in Bukit Merah and redhill estates.

I still kept a camphor chest where they stored their trousseau, and also a bakau pole used to carry sand, cement or stones. Tough characters they were. With life's calluses.

The Samsui por, I don't think there are many left today, can swear in Cantonese, that make the sailor blush!...don't you ever get into their firing line....they will swear at you, that will make even your ancestors blush!:p

jw5

Loyal
Was shopping at Sembawang NTUC supermarket last Sunday. After getting what I wanted I lined up at the check out counter. There was a basket full of vegis and other stuff in the mids of the line and people were just walking over it. Suddenly an old woman appeared and yelled at all the people in the que for not moving her basket along and demanded that she should be infront of the que as her basket was holding the spot for her and all she did was went to get some items. To my horror everybody looked down or ignor her as if she was in the right and the rest was doing something wrong. I got really pissed off and yelled back at her " Lay Hum Kar Chan Yigor Or Fong tok Si Hai Lay Min Chin Lay Ying Goi Yat Or Tok Si Ar?" Don't know why but somehow that made my wife mad :( Later I got a lacture from my wife that I am too trempremental and way of of line I should treat that old lady as a dog and let her bark.
Someone started a thread previously about people choping their place in the queue with one item in the basket. In such cases, you should just push the basket away, as he is obviously just reserving a place while he does his shopping leisurely.

I'm more sympathetic where the basket is full of items and where the elderly person is alone and goes to get one or two items she has forgotten. Having said that, the old lady should not have shouted at those in the queue.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Think you should've offered her your place in the queue if others are unwilling to and ignoring her. Lashing out at an old lady is kind of no-no. There're young kids around, maybe even your own kids, I don't know. We'll all grow old someday too, unless we die young. What's a few more minutes to spare to an old folk in a hurry when we're young enough to have decades ahead?
Agree with the part about not scolding the elderly person.
But would you really offer your place in the queue in such a situation? It would mean going to the back of the queue, because you cannot just allow her to stand in front of you, as that wouldn't be fair to those behind you.

Please answer truthfully, assuming that you were number 2 in a queue of 20. :smile:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
these old fuck think because of their age they can be rude and fuck and boss anyone around, well done threadstarter.

i did give a piece of my mind to an old fuck up in the morning crowded bus before. everyone was alighting at that particular stop everyday to change bus. even before the bus open the door, mind you its REALLY crowded. that old fuck every morning will FORCEFULLY FORCE her way out to reach the door disregarding those around her. i have seen her pushing and pulling people aside just to get to the front.

first few days....i endure....even i am one of those that being push pull around by her rough action. but one day i fucking cannot take it anymore, who the fuck is she to push everyone around i fuck her verbally openly in the bus.

"Are you plain stupid or what, can't you realized everyone will get down on this stop and surely you will be able to get down the bus. what the fuck are you trying to prove by forcing your way through the crowd."

she kept her mouth shut and alight the bus orderly with the rest of the crowd.

some people just deserve to get fuck to wake up their fucking mind

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
But would you really offer your place in the queue in such a situation? It would mean going to the back of the queue, because you cannot just allow her to stand in front of you, as that wouldn't be fair to those behind you.

Please answer truthfully, assuming that you were number 2 in a queue of 20. :smile:

Honestly in my meagre life I have never ever seen anybody giving up their place in the queue in such a manner, i.e. actually giving up the place to the person and moving to the queue behind, most of them just ask that person to stand in front of them and proceed to look self-satisfied at having done a good deed :smile:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If you step into Sheng Siong, you can see baskets every where, not only they are queuing up near the counter, there are literary scattered everywhere on both sides of the corridor during peak hours.

Very frustrating and you have to be careful not to trip over it. Wonder if BCD is still sound asleep? Time for them to buy an alarm clock.

Someone started a thread previously about people choping their place in the queue with one item in the basket. In such cases, you should just push the basket away, as he is obviously just reserving a place while he does his shopping leisurely.

I'm more sympathetic where the basket is full of items and where the elderly person is alone and goes to get one or two items she has forgotten. Having said that, the old lady should not have shouted at those in the queue.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with the part about not scolding the elderly person.

in the old day when you still needed car pass for every single trip to go JB, one long weekend holidays I went to apply for one at Malaysian Hicom and the q is damn long as it was long holidays everyone wanted to get out and the closing time was near, this one guy came to me and begged me to let him cut in front say his father was dying or something to that effect I told him to go ask every 534 people queing behind if everyone agreed then he could come and cut in front of me:o

jw5

Loyal
in the old day when you still needed car pass for every single trip to go JB, one long weekend holidays I went to apply for one at Malaysian Hicom and the q is damn long as it was long holidays everyone wanted to get out and the closing time was near, this one guy came to me and begged me to let him cut in front say his father was dying or something to that effect I told him to go ask every 534 people queing behind if everyone agreed then he could come and cut in front of me:o
Seriously, in this case, I would have just let the guy cut in front of me.
It depends on the circumstances.
At a clinic, buying food, etc, I would usually let an elderly person cut the queue.
At a singapore pools outlet, they jolly well join the queue.