• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WTF, 5 SIR joint exercise with People's Liberation Army in Nanjing?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
According to the Chinese version of wiki, 179th Brigade consist of 01X battalion of Type 96(51 tanks) and 04X battalions of Armoured Infantry ZBD86步兵战车.(124 ifv) there also a regiment of artillery within the brigade's ToE, consisting of 03Xbatteries. One each of 152mm howitzer, 122mm self propelled gun and one AA battery.

The ZBD86 is the Chinese copy of the BMP-1 and the Type 96 is similar to the T72, so with so much armour, called 179th motorized rifle brigade justify its strength.

Yeah, in that case, they would be a motorised brigade. But I have seen some versions of the 12th Group Army Orbat and they are as follows:

34th Motorised Infantry Brigade
36th Motorised Infantry Brigade
179th Infantry Brigade
2nd Armour Division
Artillery Brigade
Anti Aircraft Gun Air defence Brigade

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, in that case, they would be a motorised brigade. But I have seen some versions of the 12th Group Army Orbat and they are as follows:

34th Motorised Infantry Brigade
36th Motorised Infantry Brigade
179th Infantry Brigade
2nd Armour Division
Artillery Brigade
Anti Aircraft Gun Air defence Brigade

maybe the 179th brigade is the jewel of the 12th army group. 34th and 35th still using the antique T55 aka Type 59 and 179th even have a SAM battery that the 34th and 36th don't have.

现陆军第十二集团军下辖:
军直部队: 军直通信团(驻泗洪)
军直工兵团
军直防化团
舟桥第83团(驻蚌埠)

装甲第2旅(驻徐州)
4个坦克营,124辆ZTZ96A型主战坦克
2个装步营,62辆ZBD86型步兵战斗车
高炮营,18门PGZ04A型25毫米自行高炮

机械化步兵第34旅(驻滁州)
1个坦克营,31辆ZTZ96A坦克
1个坦克营,31辆59-1坦克
4个装步营,124辆ZBD04步战车
1个66式152毫米加榴炮营
1个74高炮营

机械化步兵第35旅(驻滁州)
4个装步营,124辆ZBD86A型步兵战斗车
2个坦克营,62辆ZTZ59D型主战坦克
炮兵团 1个炮兵营,18门PLZ83型152毫米自行加榴炮
1个炮兵营,18门PHZ89型122毫米自行火箭炮

特种作战第36旅
第179特种登陆旅(驻南京)
1个坦克营,51辆ZTZ96A型主战坦克
4个装步营,124辆ZBD86A型步兵战斗车
炮兵团 1个炮兵营,18门PL66型152毫米加榴炮
1个炮兵营,18门PLC-09式122毫米车载榴弹炮
1个高炮营,18门PG99型35毫米高炮 1个地空导弹连,12门HN6型地空导弹

炮兵旅(驻宿迁)
高炮旅(驻淮安)

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
maybe the 179th brigade is the jewel of the 12th army group. 34th and 35th still using the antique T55 aka Type 59 and 179th even have a SAM battery that the 34th and 36th don't have.

现陆军第十二集团军下辖:
军直部队: 军直通信团(驻泗洪)
军直工兵团
军直防化团
舟桥第83团(驻蚌埠)

装甲第2旅(驻徐州)
4个坦克营,124辆ZTZ96A型主战坦克
2个装步营,62辆ZBD86型步兵战斗车
高炮营,18门PGZ04A型25毫米自行高炮

机械化步兵第34旅(驻滁州)
1个坦克营,31辆ZTZ96A坦克
1个坦克营,31辆59-1坦克
4个装步营,124辆ZBD04步战车
1个66式152毫米加榴炮营
1个74高炮营

机械化步兵第35旅(驻滁州)
4个装步营,124辆ZBD86A型步兵战斗车
2个坦克营,62辆ZTZ59D型主战坦克
炮兵团 1个炮兵营,18门PLZ83型152毫米自行加榴炮
1个炮兵营,18门PHZ89型122毫米自行火箭炮

特种作战第36旅
第179特种登陆旅(驻南京)
1个坦克营,51辆ZTZ96A型主战坦克
4个装步营,124辆ZBD86A型步兵战斗车
炮兵团 1个炮兵营,18门PL66型152毫米加榴炮
1个炮兵营,18门PLC-09式122毫米车载榴弹炮
1个高炮营,18门PG99型35毫米高炮 1个地空导弹连,12门HN6型地空导弹

炮兵旅(驻宿迁)
高炮旅(驻淮安)

Basically, everything is an antique. 48 SAR will by itself wipe out their entire orbat of 2nd Armour Division. Their ZTZ96A is basically a very modified version of the T-72. Its possible that Malaysia's version the PT-91 Twardy is a better version. The Leo 2s will kill them dead starting at 4000m with their 120mm depleted uranium APSDS rounds. They will have to close to 2500m for their 125mm to even make a dent on the Leos. Those Type 59 are a joke. they can be defeated by an APFSDS round from an AMX-13. And those ZBDs are basically BMP 1s, a death trap. Not impressed by their orbat at all. I think in their orbat, the Type 59 is basically used as a mobile fire support vehicle for their dismounted AIs. Not the role of a tank vs tank.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The bmp-1 is the vehicle that have the fuel tank at the rear door? I wonder if the PLA modified it after reviewing that soviet troops burn to death after ambush by mujahideen.

I also wonder why the 12th army group is a Cat B formation. Especially the 12th was once the red army 129 division, led by one eye general 刘博诚 and commissar 邓小平。

I doubt that the type 99 can match Russian T90. Type 99 also expensive to produce in large numbers so the modified T72B will remain the backbone of PLA armour. As for your theory of 48's Leo2 wiping out the 2nd Armour brigade, I keep remembering stalin's quote, quantity is also a quality.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mindef Gombak Base has the 1SIG Battalion, which also is more classified than other signal units.

I think they have knowledge of and access to various Mindef secrets... possibly secret tunnels.

Secret tunnels...plenty in Singapore...most of them next to MRT stations...
I scratch my head when I go to Brash Basah station and find that it is just about 100 metres away from City Hall station.
At first I tot it was a pure waste of money and resources to have 2 stations next to one another.
Then only I realise that the stations have other uses..

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Secret tunnels...plenty in Singapore...most of them next to MRT stations...
I scratch my head when I go to Brash Basah station and find that it is just about 100 metres away from City Hall station.
At first I tot it was a pure waste of money and resources to have 2 stations next to one another.
Then only I realise that the stations have other uses..

There are no other purposes for the stations. There are some tunnels, and they may be secret but that does not really amount to much. The various underground storage facilities and underground hangers at Tengah are the real secret. U will be surprised at what they contain.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The bmp-1 is the vehicle that have the fuel tank at the rear door? I wonder if the PLA modified it after reviewing that soviet troops burn to death after ambush by mujahideen.

I also wonder why the 12th army group is a Cat B formation. Especially the 12th was once the red army 129 division, led by one eye general 刘博诚 and commissar 邓小平。

I doubt that the type 99 can match Russian T90. Type 99 also expensive to produce in large numbers so the modified T72B will remain the backbone of PLA armour. As for your theory of 48's Leo2 wiping out the 2nd Armour brigade, I keep remembering stalin's quote, quantity is also a quality.

The BMP 1 is just a bad design, that was why it was replaced by the BMP 2. Russian designs like T-72, T-55, have a tendency to brew up quickly. There is not much the PLA can do to redesign it. Where can you move the fuel storage too. In many cases, the fuel stored in the doors is not a bad design in itself,, I believe the Merkava also has this. Diesel is hard to ignite and it has some ability to protect against HESH and HEAT rounds, and incendiary small arms.

I think that the status of the unit is deceiving and done so deliberately. For example in the 80s and 90s, the KP battalion was a reservist battalion. But you and I know that if activated, they would be a far better battalion than standby frontline 40 SAR AMX-13 equipped units.