• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP's Path away From Opposition Unity

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This may sound surprising to many opposition supporters but it is from the horse mouth. Mr Low Thia Khiang has said it in the Punggol East rally that WP has chosen to walk its own path when he tried to explained why WP didn't go into talk with other opposition parties with regard to candidacy for this by-election.<br />
<br />
This basically means that from WP's perspective, opposition unity doesn't exist at all or they will not work towards opposition unity. That explains why WP was too eager to go into 3 corner fights in Moulmein Kallang and Punggol East back in GE2011 instead of consolidating its forces to contest in Marine Parade which is right in its backyard.<br />
<br />
Many people have attacked me during the hustling back in GE2011 right up till now for criticising WP, putting up fantasies and imaginary Sour Grape and Bitter Gourd theories but I don't really blame them because they are ignorant of the finer details of opposition politics. They accused me of destroying opposition unity when I reasoned that WP was the one that is unreasonable in its insistence to create potential 3 corner fights. They even accused me as "PAP mole" when I suggested that other opposition parties would have to test out the relative strength to WP by contesting in Hougang By-election. It is an important strategic move to prepare themselves because make no mistakes about it, WP will definitely go into massive 3 corner fights in the next GE.<br />
<br />
I have been a member of Workers Party from 2001 till 2006 and I have quit after the GE2006. The main reason that triggered my resignation has been explained in this blog before. We have a good contest in GE2006 and logically, any aspiring politicians like me, Chia Tilik, James Gomez etc, won't want to quit for no good reasons. There are various factors affecting our individual decisions but mine was pretty straight forward.<br />
<br />
However, I must said that I felt disillusioned after GE2006. Right after GE2006, Mr Low has wanted to draw a clear line between SDP and WP. He wanted to denounce Non-Violence Action movement that was carried out by SDP as well. I believe the trigger of such thought came from SDP's contest in Sembawang GRC which WP has claimed but did not plan to contest anyway. There are of course other issues as well. I have opposed vigorously against such propositions at that time.<br />
<br />
I reasoned that if WP was to do that back then, we may agitate hardcore SDP supporters. It will just take 2% or 3% off WP and that may just make a decisive difference between a win or lose in any contest in future elections. I also reasoned that Non-Violence Action should not be denounced totally by any political party like WP. This is basically because there will always be a great possibility that PAP may enact or use whatever administrative rules to curb opposition party's activities. I have put up the example of NEA using the illegal hawking rule to curb our selling of party newspaper Hammer. From time to time, we have met NEA officers giving warnings to opposition party activists for selling our newspapers on the streets. What happens if NEA is to come down hard and apply this rule harshly? Are we going to just obey and stop all political activity? NVA may be the only option left if such situation arises.<br />
<br />
Indeed, such situation did arise prior to GE2011 when I took over the SG post of NSP. While NSP continued to sell its newspaper North Star in defiance of NEA summons, WP stopped for the whole month. If it is not for NSP's continuous pressure and refusal to pay up for the summon, all opposition parties like WP won't be carrying out their weekly newspaper sales until now! If NSP was to pay up the fines and admitted we were in the wrong, we would expect NEA to apply the rules and summons all across the board on all political parties! Unfortunately, during the tough deadlock with NEA, WP CEC member has openly accused and blamed NSP of "dragging them into the m&d". It seems that WP does not realize that it is on the same boat with all other opposition parties instead of on the same boat with PAP, which it has suggested lately. <br />
<br />
On the other hand, as I understand WP as a key member, WP has always blown the trumpet of two party system, especially after a good GE2006, which I always have reservations with. To work towards the two party system, it would mean that WP will have to thumb down all other opposition parties as well... or even destroy them with 3 or multi-corner fights and such. This is an undesirable direction and detrimental to democratic movement and development for Singapore. <br />
<br />
The progressive aims for freedom activists is first to breach the obstacle of winning the first GRC, then to slice down PAP's monopoly of power by winning at least one third of the parliamentary seats so to deprive PAP the absolute power to amend the Constitution as the way it likes. Whether the system evolves into two party system should be of the last concerns.&nbsp; But apparently, WP doesn't see it this way. <br />
<br />
Thus when WP insisted on contesting in Moulmein Kallang back in GE2011, I knew it wasn't just the simple reason of training their new young candidates. The reasoning of geographical proximity was even more outright ridiculous and unconvincing because Marine Parade would be the best choice for WP as it is sitting right next to Aljunied and East Coast GRCs! It is obvious to me that it is a ploy to trigger a 3 corner fight, with the aim to undermine NSP's growth or even destroy NSP totally.<br />
<br />
It was very difficult to explain to many people but I took pain to persuade the scholars, Tony and Hazel, to pull out of Moulmein Kallang at the very last minute for self-preservation. I told them that it was their first election contest and they should not risk destroying their future political career by taking this unnecessary risk. The rest is history.<br />
<br />
I cannot agree with WP and Low's strategic perspective in choosing this path of disunity. This is absolutely nothing personal but rather, a very technical difference in opinion on how to bring democratic development to Singapore. Different parties may have different problems but to even suggest that only WP is successful while other parties will only disappoint Singaporeans is much too arrogant to begin with.<br />
<br />
For the better or the worse, people and parties change over time. I am proud to say that NSP has evolved stronger after GE2011 and so did SDP, thanks to the participation of new generation of professionals. WP is not the only party that has evolved stronger and it is obvious that other parties have enjoyed the same vote swing in constituencies where their new promising blood has contested.<br />
<br />
I believe all these good people who are non-WP members, have great potentials to play an important role in Singapore's democratic development. Mr Low should not write them off that easily. Contrary to his assertions, these new blood have brought promise and hope, not shame or disappointment, to opposition movement as a whole.<br />
<br />
Mr Low should leave his political historical baggage down and start to look at the whole environment and situation in a more positive way. If you want to talk about disappointing voters in the past, WP was also guilty of it in the past as well, with mass resignations, lawsuits, scandals (Yawgate is just a year ago) and such. WP's new image only comes about with the injection of new blood right after 2001. Thus, I do not think it is right for Mr Low to imply that others have brought disappointment to voters but not WP. Nevertheless, what had happened in the past, has passed. All parties now are having a fresh start with new generation of politicians joining them.<br />
<br />
I just hope that WP will not stray away from the unity of opposition aim in bringing democratic development to Singapore by focusing in cutting down PAP's monopoly of power and enforcing democratic reforms to our political system. Obviously, the advocate of two party system is definitely tainted with self interests. We should focus on winning one third of the seats first an it doesn't necessarily mean that only WP could do it alone.<br />
<br />
But I believe, all these are wishful thinking of mine. Premature 3 corner fights will become the norm in next and future GEs. So be it.<br />
<br />
However, it would be total hypocrisy for WP people to criticise or scold and whine about other parties of being "spoilers" if WP itself doesn't believe in opposition unity in the first place. Let fair contest takes place but voters must be even more discerning in making their choice in such contests. Opposition supporters should not be confused from now on. They should not vote blindly but instead, should spend more time in assessing the performance, strength and weaknesses of each candidates instead of just vote according to party loyalty.<br />
<br />
Opposition politics will never be the same again after Mr Low Thia Khiang's rally speech tonight. I believe that it is basically a public confirmation of distinct departure of WP from the rest of the opposition parties. Maybe Mr. Low feels that with 8 MPs in parliament, it is an opportune time for WP to take flight and establish itself as in the same league as PAP....on the same boat as PAP.&nbsp; But one thing Mr Low must realize, the only thing could stay constant, is impermanence and this knife will cut both ways.<br />
<br />
Goh Meng Seng<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be interesting to see 3-party fights in the next election.

Wonder if we will have PAP vs WP vs rest of opposition, maybe Mr Low will back down next GE and start cooperating with rest of opposition to avoid 3-corner fight?

But if this Saturday Ms Lee loses, maybe Mr Low will put his nose down?

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It really depends on the relative rate of expansion between the WP and the rest of the opposition parties.

1. If the WP continues to grow and win seats while the other opposition parties flop and stagnate, then we are pretty much heading towards a two-party system, something scene in many other countries with a FPTP system.
2. If the WP don't win significantly more seats while the other opposition parties start winning seats, then an alliance or coalition is more likely to have to be formed.

That's why other opposition parties are whacking WP behind the scene, they are afraid of the first scenario happening. In the end, it really all depends on what the voters want, and that will show in the election results. If the voters overwhelmingly support the WP over the other opposition parties, then the haters will just have to STFU and accept what the voters want instead of demanding that the voters vote against the WP.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Didn't KJ of RP share the same view? Why is it singling out WP?

Nothing new that this article is one in a continuous string of bias opinions.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the fate of the opposition will be decided in this BE. If Ms Lee wins, the affairs of the opposition will change over night.

Who knows all the rest of the 'small' parties will 'disband' and formed a single party to counter WP.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who knows all the rest of the 'small' parties will 'disband' and formed a single party to counter WP.

Instead of uniting, the non-PAP non-WP parties are fragmenting further.

There was some hope that the solid Ben Pwee group coming out from SPP will join NSP and after that can give WP a run for its money. But the hope won't materialize, not for now at least.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singapore using fptp electoral system, so what the point harping on opposition unity when most of the so called opposition parties struggle to pass the 35% mark. too bad singapore is not using the representation system so the rest of the opposition parties will have to pull up their socks in order to stay relevant. the hardcore anti govt vote only 20-30% top, that not enough to win a seat at all. by cutting the pie, the opposition parties are not giving the voters the candidate of their choice at all. so what democracy is gms harping about?

the rest of the opposition parties should make use of the time from today 25 jan 2013 to the next GE to build up their strength to prove to the rest of the voters they are as good as if not better than pap or wp. even by next GE, wp will not have enough candidates and $$ to expand 1 more grc that they contest in ge2011. instead of waste time and effort bashing wp, why not start do more grassroot events at the areas the parties want to contest next ge NOW!!! i dont want to see pap keep forming govt after every GE, so even wp is as bad as u portray, i willing to take a chance in order to see pap get kick out of govt.

not every wp supporters are hardcore, i personally is just hardcore anti pap only. as long another party can convince me they can do a better job, i will vote for them even if wp is also contesting. so gms, cannot swim dont blame the swimming trunk too big. since ge2011, u had not done anything constructive for the democracy of singapore other than bash wp at every occassions and call supporters insects. well done well done...

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore using fptp electoral system, so what the point harping on opposition unity when most of the so called opposition parties struggle to pass the 35% mark.

35% may not be a good yardstick? In other countries, the 3rd leading party such as Green Party managed only 15%.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess the fate of the opposition will be decided in this BE. If Ms Lee wins, the affairs of the opposition will change over night.

Ms Lee Li Lian doesn't necessarily have to win. Even if she loses but the other parties get an extremely low amount of votes, e.g. < 2%, this would be a big message from the voters to the other opposition parties that they are not really wanted wherever WP is contesting.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ms Lee Li Lian doesn't necessarily have to win. Even if she loses but the other parties get an extremely low amount of votes, e.g. < 2%, this would be a big message from the voters to the other opposition parties that they are not really wanted wherever WP is contesting.

Yes, agree. If RP and SDA performs badly, WP will be the new leading opposition force. Their next objective is to wipe out SDP, NSP and DPP....

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, agree. If RP and SDA performs badly, WP will be the new leading opposition force. Their next objective is to wipe out SDP, NSP and DPP....

That's not their objective. Their objective is to (eventually) take down the PAP.
They are just not going to let the other parties get in the way.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
35% may not be a good yardstick? In other countries, the 3rd leading party such as Green Party managed only 15%.

35% = no chance of winning.

SDA had been contesting in pasir ris punggol for a couple of GE liao. i cannot remember the exact figure but both ge 2006 and ge 2011 sda get ard 30+% that just the anti pap voters only. i stay there since 2005 and i only saw them once doing block visit during ge 2006. liddat how to convince the moderate voters to abandon pap? it a bloody waste of time, if they still contest pasir ris punggol grc next ge, i wont even bother to vote.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

With 15% you get absolutely nothing unless you are in a country with a PR system, then the comparison becomes irrelevant to what is happening in Singapore.

horsayliew

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's not their objective. Their objective is to (eventually) take down the PAP.

Take down PAP is not the objective of WP, to block other opp.parties to the parliament n to enable PAP win the by-E is the objective. Think about it : sending the weaker candidate, with drawn the motion of AIM at campaign period, did't want to talk to the rest of the parties by hoping to have multi corners fight..., all this sign tell u the truth more than the hard truth.

horsayliew

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Am sure PAP will win this by-E as To take down PAP is not the objective of WP, to block other opposition parties to enter the parliament and to lose the By-Election to the PAP is their objective. You come to think about it : sending the weaker candidate to by-E, with drawn the motion of AIM at the campaign period, did not want to talk to the rest of the parties by hoping to have 3 or multi corners fight to reduce chances of winning, all this sign tell u the truth more than the hard truth.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ahh,,,another bullshit article written by Got More Shit,,the 2nd PAP Mole after CSJ,,,LTK has made it clear why it did not want to cooperate with the other oppos. My point is at this stage,,the other oppos are not worth mentioning,,,SDP and CSJ has damaged the opposition cause by more than 10 years by kicking CST out,,and that benefitted the PAP.

CSJ is a clown and step on soo many landmines, that I want to see him quit SDP so it can rejuvenate.

RP and SDA,,both are clowns with minimal electoral appeal,,they should not have contested the by erection. Why could not RP concentrate on AMK and West Coast GRC? work the ground now and prepare for 2016? why so opportunistic and try and get a seat it cannot get? SDA,,DL is a fucking clown,,,the likes of schoolboy demanding that he be should pass PSLE eventhough he does not deserve it,by these 2 clowns and SDP contesting or want to contest in this erection,,it has damage opposition unity,,and by Got More Shit sprouting more shit,,you are damaging opposition unity too

GO WP....GO WP.....

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I Am sure PAP will win this by-E as To take down PAP is not the objective of WP, to block other opposition parties to enter the parliament and to lose the By-Election to the PAP is their objective. You come to think about it : sending the weaker candidate to by-E, with drawn the motion of AIM at the campaign period, did not want to talk to the rest of the parties by hoping to have 3 or multi corners fight to reduce chances of winning, all this sign tell u the truth more than the hard truth.
You are very observant. Anyway, it's ok if WP wins. If somebody officially owns a company and privately owns another, he can submit tender through the 2 companies and requests his friends to submit another 2 more tenders for fun, just to make up the number. It is actually immaterial which company gets the tender.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are very observant. Anyway, it's ok if WP wins. If somebody officially owns a company and privately owns another, he can submit tender through the 2 companies and requests his friends to submit another 2 more tenders for fun, just to make up the number. It is actually immaterial which company gets the tender.

observant my ass, the whole WP was mobilised compare to Hougang where not every1 was in full force...

Hougang BE was really bout 2 men, Low and Png, Punggol East was the full WP machinry... and the turnout at nomination saw a WP contingent that s bigger than PAP, think even during Hougang BE, it was about equal size

volunteer morale seem to much higher than during Hougang BE and ground was much sweeter than during GE, though i cant say WP will sure win

the idea that WP do not want to win is absurd... it does seem that PAP was too over confident by sending in a newbie, no effort to mudsling, big guns not out in full force, halima give a half hearted endosement saying she do not know him long enough

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Desmond Lim received wind about Benjamin Pwee going to take over a party, he declared immediately that SDA not going to accept new member for fear that Benjamin Pwee would be considered as a better candidate to represent SDA in PE by-election.

CSJ proposing the 'win-win-win' proposal is maciam telling the offeree you must not only give way to the SDP candidate but, in addition you have to offer your resources to help campaigning during the husting and take up the dirty work of running Town Council after the husting. Clearly, not 'win-win-win' but 'lose-lose-lose'.

Both DL and KJ have turned down each other offer to speak at the other rally.

Would you still consider them opposition unity gestures, Mr Goh?