• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP's Indian Candidate's Resignation

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Sikh community in Singapore has always been split from the Tamils
P.S. I know of a few Bayis who insisted that the Race portion of their IC said "Punjabi" rather than "Indian" and I know one Malay guy whose IC states "Sikh" because his father was a Muslim convert but his original papers did not change.

Thanks pal for the academic aspect of the Sikh society here.I had a good number of Sikh drinking buddies here and elsewhere.Great company if you ask me.Hence I was quite intrigued by them.

Now,I had travelled around quite extensively in S.Asia and know a thing or two about their countries.For one,there is more than large representation of Sikhs in the Indian Army & their air force.And they are stationed invariably all over India.Hence they speak and their children literally goes to local schools studying in their vernacular languages.But not in Singapore & Malaysia.In fact Malaysian Sikhs declare themselves as 'hindustanis' in their MyKad(IC)...and we both know there is no such race.

Now here is my prognosis as to why.Though Sikhs are minority themselves in India,they are far more minority within minority in Singapore and Malaysia.And no minority race can live anywhere in the world without accommodating the majority race.Short of saying they are dependent on their graces.This is what the LKY have fully exploited.The PAP needs an "indian' face but not it's soul and spirit ,sort of.The Sikhs comes very handy with their turban to play to foreign gallery.I could expand this to other Indians in PAP--but this will suffice for now.

But it's very different in Malaysia almost around 130,000 of them compared to a paltry 10000 here in Singapore.And true enough hardly any Sikhs in BN ,or MIC for that matter,whereas the oppositions has quite a number.Which includes the Karpal Singh--who is the chairman of DAP.....a Chinese dominated party.

The point being ,the tiny community of Sikhs in Singapore could not represent the Indian community.They merely are a tool to political parties such as PAP & WP who uses them as their veneer.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks pal for the academic aspect of the Sikh society here.I had a good number of Sikh drinking buddies here and elsewhere.Great company if you ask me.Hence I was quite intrigued by them.

Now,I had travelled around quite extensively in S.Asia and know a thing or two about their countries.For one,there is more than large representation of Sikhs in the Indian Army & their air force.And they are stationed invariably all over India.Hence they speak and their children literally goes to local schools studying in their vernacular languages.But not in Singapore & Malaysia.In fact Malaysian Sikhs declare themselves as 'hindustanis' in their MyKad(IC)...and we both know there is no such race.

Now here is my prognosis as to why.Though Sikhs are minority themselves in India,they are far more minority within minority in Singapore and Malaysia.And no minority race can live anywhere in the world without accommodating the majority race.Short of saying they are dependent on their graces.This is what the LKY have fully exploited.The PAP needs an "indian' face but not it's soul and spirit ,sort of.The Sikhs comes very handy with their turban to play to foreign gallery.I could expand this to other Indians in PAP--but this will suffice for now.

But it's very different in Malaysia almost around 130,000 of them compared to a paltry 10000 here in Singapore.And true enough hardly any Sikhs in BN ,or MIC for that matter,whereas the oppositions has quite a number.Which includes the Karpal Singh--who is the chairman of DAP.....a Chinese dominated party.

The point being ,the tiny community of Sikhs in Singapore could not represent the Indian community.They merely are a tool to political parties such as PAP & WP who uses them as their veneer.

I agree - we've discussed this previously in another thread as well and the tiny minorities here are so disconnected from the reality of their inherited identity - the Hadramutis in Singapore are equally as clueless - I've also met a few Singaporean Jews whose families came from Iraq - they have no sense of being Bahgdadis and are as Jewish as the Sikhs are Indian.

"Hindustani" is another misnomer used by very clueless Bayis - the Sindhis in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have never been as confused about their "Sindhiness".

P.S> In relation to my earlier observation about the erosion of Tamil dominance here - I attended an SMU event recently and at the end, representatives of the various "races" gave brief "thank you" speeches in their mother tongue - the Chinese girl spoke Mandarin, the Malay girl spoke Melayu, the Indonesian Chinese spoke in Bahasa and Hokkien-tinged with Indon accent and the Indian amongst them spoke in Hindi. A number of oldies looked around the room and were like "huh?". Sign of the times.

Last edited:

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sajeev's resignation and PLG getting the political donation form are two incidents that somehow cast WP in not-so-good light. Regardless of the who or what is behind these two moves, WP is disadvantaged already.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree -

So,there flies in the face of Sylvia Lim that her MP Pritam Singh is the representative of local Indians.Pritam at best can only respresent the tiny local Sikh community here and at worst the Malay speaking crowd.The presumption is Pritam took Malay as his mother tongue in school.I bet Pritam could not touch base even with the Hindi speaking new citizens.For one of the reason being Sikhs in India are stereotyped as the dumbest among them and are a butt of their cruelest jokes.

All this GRC thingy had been shredded to pieces.It was to give representation to minorities who otherwise be shunned argued LKY.But wooden Goh admitted that GRC actually is to ride the coat-tails of established PAP warlords for political rookies and novices; as in the case of our infamous Kate Spade Tin.Now,Sylvia Lim had outdone all the gerrymandering by going on the street to pick any Samy or Sanjeev,as Scroobal claimed hardly with an O level,---to fill up the quota for minority candidate.What a joke!

The biggest loosers are Singaporeans.Because even with a pathetic lot, WP still garnered 42% votes against a PAP Indian warlord Shanmugam in Nee Soon GRC.I bet had Sylvia Lim pitched a minority candidate of say,Vincent Wijeysingha or Prof Paul Tambya standard and caliber--Nee Soon would be ruled by WP now.No,I am not day dreaming....because even Samy Veloo,who was the president of MIC in Malaysia for more than 20 years and a cabinet minister whom even Dr.Mahathir dare not remove lost in their 2008 GE to a novice.That is political reality.Because the ground swell of anger against the corrupt and tyrant incumbent is too much to tide over.

In that respect,is Sylvia Lim discreetly aiding PAP?....all empirical evidences and scrutiny seems so.Look,at the Aljunied GRC,all WP heavy weights like Sylvia and LTK including CSM are heavily concentrated in just 1 GRC.No political party that pits for other wards as well go for this strategy.Not SDP nor GMS's.In short,Sylvia was gunning for only Aljunied GRC and nothing else and she rather spoil the chances of other opposition parties.Something PAP cannot do by themselves.

Thus my deep suspicion about the activities of Sylvia Lim.

Last edited:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

1. In Singapore, Hindustanis are those who are from or Forefathers came from Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat.(Sindhis call themselves Sindhis but they readily inter-marry with Hindustanis - Sindhis in Singapore Speaks Hindi and are Hindus) Also Take note, That Bengali Singaporeans(They are Mainly from Uttar.Pradesh) are also called Hindustanis.

2. Sikhs has never seen themselves as Indians nor Mixes around with other Indian groups.(Nor are they seen as Indians by the other Indian Groups etc. Tamils, Malayalam, Sindhis, Hindustanis)

3. On taking up Malay as a 2nd language, All non-speaking Tamil Indians usually take Malay as their 2nd-language simply because it is much easily to pick up.

4. Tamil Indians are no Angels themselves, They seem to disregard other minority Indian Groups and have Forgotten that North Indian Singaporeans were here since the day of Raffles.

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

1. In Singapore, Hindustanis are those who are from or Forefathers came from Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat.(Sindhis call themselves Sindhis but they readily inter-marry with Hindustanis - Sindhis in Singapore Speaks Hindi and are Hindus) Also Take note, That Bengali Singaporeans(They are Mainly from Uttar.Pradesh) are also called Hindustanis.

2. Sikhs has never seen themselves as Indians nor Mixes around with other Indian groups.

What rubbish - ethmologically, the term "hindustan" exists (usually propagated in Bollywood expressions of ultra-natonalism against Pakistan) but not in the sense used by the bayis - Indians from UP, Gujerat and Rajestan refer to themselves accordingly as Gujeratis, Rajestanis and simply UPs - only the dumblurcocks think that the term "Hindustani" refers to a distinct race of people.

I really doubt that the Bayis in Singapore do not regarded themselves as Indian but not Indians in the sense represented by the Tamils only. Ask any sikh and he will tell you that the Golden Temple is in India (even the most blur bayi knows that).

I don't blame the bays for not wanting to be associated with the Tamils. They are not the same people. If you have any idea of the Indian diaspora and the communities all over the Western world, you will appreciate what Nice-Gook pointed out. It is apparent that your understanding of them as a community is unfortunately tainted by the shallowness of their own understanding of themselves beyond the confines of Singapore.

Last edited:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Bayis are not call called or referred to as Hindustanis, They are Singhs.

Hindustani is a "Singapore Term" to collectively identify a Person from Uttar-Pradesh, Rajastan, Gujarat.(Grouping)

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
4. Tamil Indians are no Angels themselves, They seem to disregard other minority Indian Groups and have Forgotten that North Indian Singaporeans were here since the day of Raffles.

Perhaps,you can educate us further...I am all ears.You see,I am a history buff...through out my travels,apart from wine and womanizing,I do fraternize with their academic circle and libraries cockpits....say if I want to know more about the descendents of Singapore royalty by blood than I look at Pekanbaru(Sumatra) than Singapore itself.

Hence my understanding of the Indianization of Singapore was actually that it flowed from Malacca Sultanate which again flowed from Palembang (Sumatra).Since Singapore itself was an unknown entity neither traceable by ancient Chinese nor Indian annals....Even the huge and mighty Admiral Zheng He fleet of 200 ships and 28,000 crew men simply sailed passed Singapore without a single mention of it.Their focus point being Malacca sultanate.

Now,everything that was Raffles built in Singapore came from the impending ruin of Malacca sultanate.Including Singapore's population.Malacca Sultanate itself hardly had any North Indians....and British imported the Sikhs for soldiering and most importantly for policing Singapore decades later as a solution to Chinese SS /triads which was a big headache for a law and order situation.Policing Singapore is a position no Chinese want to fill because a public arrest of 1 clan of Chinese by another means instant rioting.

Now,please fill me in as what I have missed.

Last edited:

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
So,there flies in the face of Sylvia Lim that her MP Pritam Singh is the representative of local Indians.Pritam at best can only respresent the tiny local Sikh community here and at worst the Malay speaking crowd.The presumption is Pritam took Malay as his mother tongue in school.I bet Pritam could not touch base even with the Hindi speaking new citizens.For one of the reason being Sikhs in India are stereotyped as the dumbest among them and are a butt of their cruelest jokes.

Once again, absolutely spot-on in your coherent analysis of how representative Pritam is - coupled with academic credentials of having studied a diploma in Islamic studies, there is pandering to Malay Muslim crowd. However, if you were ask Pritam whether he has outreached to the new bayis from India that have overtaken the local Sikh temples (these being the manual laborers mostly), I doubt he can sincerely say he has connected with them. Even the NRIs here will probably view Pritam with bemusement. If anything, the only singkie Bayi I know of who would have taken the Muslim vote even further is Umej Bhatia - a Singaporean bayi who reads and writes fluent Arabic and wows the Arab business community in the Gulf because of his linguistic skills - he, unlike Pritam, not only studied Islam but did it at a doctorate level. He is a legend amongst the MFA crowd because no other singkie has penetrated the Arab majlis like he had. If the MIW ever wanted to field a token non-Malay minority to wow the local Malays, they could just parachute in Umej and Pritam would be overshadowed. But I doubt even Umej would not be able to link up with the NRIs in singkieland unless he spoke Hindi fluently (which I don't think he does). Curiously, I heard he is married to a Pakistani Muslim.

And your observation of the bayis being the jesters in the wider sub-continent mindset is spot-on. Just watch any mainstream bollywood movie and the bayis are there as a source of ridicule. However, Punjab is still a very powerful and prosperous state although they remain at the mercy of the Hindu majority. The same sense of ridicule does not permeate in the diaspora as many of the immigrant communities are very well-entrenched and NRIs cannot even try on such prejudices.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps,you can educate us further...

Bro - I doubt he can - he only used typical prejudiced notions of Tamils and bayis for his assertions. Its a common problem amongst the singkie minorities - a fantasized notion of "who" they are without any real academic understanding of how they came to be and how whacked their statements are when viewed against actual academic research - and he skipped over the orange book - History of Malaya.

I wonder whether you know where the majority of the Sikhs in Singapore were recruited from? They seem to be a mixture of those whose ancestors lived on that side of the border in Pakistani Punjab and predominantly around the Amritsar area - Sikhs I met in London and the UK predominantly from Jullundur and I can't remember where the ones from Canada came from. Again, I remember reading of a small Sikh commune in Alaska which is about 100 years old - probably another British-motivated displacement.

Last edited:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its good enough that as a Chinese, I am trying to understand another communities identity.. It seems like you Historian buffs are fiercely aggressive in your views.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder whether you know where the majority of the Sikhs in Singapore were recruited from?

At another time bro,perhaps in another thread.This thread being in the political folder and since a particular topic is discussed,we should not digress too much.

Meanwhile another racism in politics is just unfolding in Malaysia.It's DAP bag of dirty linen now being washed in the public.DAP(which was actually founded by PAP/Devan Nair) had always been associated with Malaysian Chinese chauvinism.Hence it was a prize catch when a very highly respected Tunku Abdul Aziz of academia/royalty class joined it's rank.A very rare breed of Malay ,an Englishman of sort in language,spirit and soul.... a god sent opportunity for DAP to finally shed it's racist image.And DAP screwd it up just like our WP.

For those who do not know who the damn this Tunku Abdul Aziz chappy is read this article written by his 'enemy' ,the most famous dissident and fugitive blogger Raja Petra of Malaysia Today.Even his enemies are respectful of Tunku Aziz disposition and integrity.

http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/no-holds-barred/49188-dear-tunku-abdul-aziz-tunku-ibrahim

Listen in the words of Tunku Aziz himself(where the chief minister of Penang Lim Eng Guan of DAP is trying to buy the integrity of the Tunku)
Tunku Aziz told The Star that Lim had called him on Sunday offering him a senior fellowship in Penang Institute and “[dangled] travel as an attraction” after his tenure as senator was not renewed.

“Then yesterday, Zairil Khir Johari (Lim’s political secretary) called and repeated the offer and stated there was a stipend of RM50,000 to go with it.
“Totally totally insulting, and I could only conclude that it had come from someone who had no sense and not even a modicum of respect.
“Did he think I was that kind of person? This man has no sense of decency. The only word is a Malay word, and it’s ‘biadap’,” he was quoted by the English daily as saying.

That speaks the sort of filth DAP/WP politicians are.In that respect I must give some credit to PAP;at least they have some finesse and style not so crude as WP/DAP being racist.If PAP wants to fuck up a minority race they do it with style and plenty of drum beast.

Singapore's opposition parties like Malaysia's simply do not know how be a racist and get away with it like PAP and BN.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP put an indian through the noose, before they kicked the chair beneath the indian, WP walked in and screamed: "STOP!!"

The indian than asked WP: before you shout stop to save my life may I ask you one last question: "are you racist?"

Sajeev is one good example of kicking his own chair and....hanged himself high and dry by publicly announced his resignation in the most untimely manner.

I wonder, which moron will follow after him..

The above is just food for thought.[/

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
No its a case of ghost fighting ghost now in WP.

Ah neh ghost verses ah tiong ghost. All ghost ghost.