• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Calls for Abolition of Death Penalty

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1236750/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Parliament on Monday debated proposed amendments to the Misuse of Drugs Act aimed at strengthening Singapore's ability to deal more effectively with new challenges, among them the growing number of young drug abusers and the worsening regional drug situation.

Sixteen MPs spoke on the move to give the courts more discretionary powers in meting out the death penalty.

Under the proposed changes, a drug trafficker may escape the gallows if two conditions are met: when a drug offender has been proven to be merely a courier and the person has been certified to have substantively assisted the authorities in disrupting drug trafficking activities within or outside Singapore.

The courier can also be spared the death sentence in view of mental disability.

While the MPs welcomed the move to impose a sentence more fitting to the culpability of the wrongdoer, most of them cautioned against the perception that Singapore is moving away from its zero-tolerance on drugs.

Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, said: "Sir, I am also concerned that the alternative sentence of a life imprisonment instead of the death sentence may be wrongly perceived by the general public, especially among our young or unscrupulous drug traffickers, that they can be opportunistic when it comes to drug trafficking because of the amendments to this Act.

"The less informed may think that the drug trafficking offence has become less serious while the opportunists may think that they can get away with a less harsh sentence.

"Some may think that if they are being classified as a young person below the age of 21 or a vulnerable person when caught as a drug courier, they can claim to be simply a courier, cooperate with the Central Narcotics Bureau, and be given a life imprisonment instead of the death sentence, which they hope can be later reduced to several years' imprisonment due to good behaviour."

Dr Intan hoped that the general public, especially the young, will not have this false belief that the law is softening towards drug trafficking, and the seriousness of the drug trafficking offence must be emphasised time and again.

MP for Moulmein-Kallang GRC Edwin Tong pointed out the number of drug abuse arrests has gone up in recent years. What is more troubling, he said, is the rate of increase has been faster.

He added that abusers have also become younger.

Mr Tong said regional and local statistics show that Singapore is at a five-year high in terms of drug seizures, supplies and drug abuser arrests.

Coupled with a worsening regional drug situation, he is concerned the amendments send out a message that Singapore has had a fundamental re-think on its strict anti-drug philosophy.

Mr Tong said: "There are already some international publications which report this move as a relaxation of our hitherto strict laws, which is fair enough. But there are other commentators who regard this as a step in the right direction - except that they regard the direction as being one where the death penalty should eventually be abolished altogether for all forms of offences. This latter comment is not sustainable - particularly in the context of the drug abuse and supply landscape as now see it. Strong deterrence, with the harshest punishments, must still remain a corner stone principle for our anti-drug laws."

MPs from the opposition Workers' Party all rose in support of the changes but pushed for a total abolition of the death penalty.

This was echoed by two other Nominated Members of Parliament - Laurence Lien and Faizah Jamal.

Mr Lien said: "I understand the strong support by many in Singapore for the death penalty, and that we Singaporeans are rightly proud that Singapore is a safe and secure home and relatively free from drugs and serious crime. These ought to be outcomes we need to work hard to maintain.

"But where it comes to the death penalty, it is not just about our criminal justice system, which we also want to be proportionate and restorative; it also about the type of society that we want to build - a society that values every person and every human life, and one that doesn't give up on its people."

One MP stoutly defended Singapore's strict anti-drug laws as he related his experience dealing with families destroyed by drugs.

Mr Christopher De Souza, MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, said: "I find it odd that so much of the debate is centered on the compassion society should have on the drug trafficker. That to me is skewed. Let us not forget who the victim here is - it is not the trafficker; it is society, it is the many families broken by drug addiction. We should have compassion for this brokenness too. The way to do so is to maintain immensely strong and muscular measures to deter drug traffickers from targeting Singapore.

"What we are debating today is not child's play. It is very serious business. We mis-step, open the flood gates, our war on drugs falters. We cannot afford to mis-step, we cannot afford to open the flood gates."

Mr De Souza warned that the criterion of 'mental disability' must be interpreted strictly to prevent abuse.

"If loose interpretations of mental disability are allowed, a legal case may boil down to a fight between the psychiatrist for the prosecution against that for the defence, with the judge being forced to weigh one psychiatrist's assessment over the other's.

"We need to pause and realise that a distinction must be drawn between diminished responsibility in the context of murder as opposed to drug trafficking. Killing can be a spontaneous act (especially for non-premeditated cases). Drug trafficking is often rational and calculated. It is seldom spontaneous."

MP for Chua Chu Kang GRC Alvin Yeo said the requirement to prove substantial cooperation with the authorities introduces an element of subjectivity.

Mr Yeo said: "What will happen if an accused person claims that he rendered his fullest cooperation but the CNB officer chose to not recognise it or not valued? What happens if the accused person insists he is a mere drug mule, and did not have any information on the ringleaders, although he was willing to cooperate fully? These sorts of accusations, if made enough times so as not to appear as isolated incidents, can undermine public confidence in the legal system we are seeking to uphold."

Other changes to the Act include listing new psychoactive substances temporarily so they can be seized and circulation restricted; introducing hair analysis to enhance detection and deterrence; and making it an offence for anyone who plans a gathering where drug is consumed.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean has said the mandatory death penalty will continue to apply to drug traffickers in most circumstances.

Mr Teo, who is also Home Affairs Minister, believes the measures strike the right balance, given the current operating environment.

Mr Teo said: "Today, Singaporeans enjoy a safe and secure environment because of our firm stance against drugs and crime. We have long taken a 'zero-tolerance' approach against the drug menace. The amendments proposed in this Bill will strengthen our ability to do so in our new operating environment and allow us to continue doing all we can to keep our streets safe and to protect our children from the scourge of drugs."

The issues raised were varied. Some MPs wanted further clarification to some of the technicalities related to the new laws and how it may affect anti-drug operations on the ground.

There are others who raised concerns about the growing number of young Singaporeans who see drug-taking as fashionable, with no real harm done.

The debate on the amendments to the Misuse of Drugs Bill will continue on November 14.

- CNA/fa

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls lah, MPs. Dont waste time talking about this. It does not affect our daily lives/bread.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're right... the death penalty doesn't affect most of us. The ISA did not affect me at all either, until my friends (whom I knew could not have been Marxists) were arrested, tortured and held without trial.

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're right... the death penalty doesn't affect most of us. The ISA did not affect me at all either, until my friends (whom I knew could not have been Marxists) were arrested, tortured and held without trial.

wa.. scary sia.. de way u post.. like even death penalty can be "abused"..
wa.. movie in the making.. purposely plant drugs in political activist or social activist who is really threatening watever.. and then let that bugger kena hang..
Ooo... dangerous leh

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although what you've posted is possible, it is not my fear. All I'm saying is that we should not assume that something as important as empowering the state to take away someone's life, no matter how remote it may seem to us now, 'does not affect our daily lives.' We simply cannot just trust the good judgment of the AG not to prosecute simply because he can meet the minimum standard of proof.

wa.. scary sia.. de way u post.. like even death penalty can be "abused"..
wa.. movie in the making.. purposely plant drugs in political activist or social activist who is really threatening watever.. and then let that bugger kena hang..
Ooo... dangerous leh

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The death penalty may not be something that the majority of Singaporeans want to have abolished.
Personally, I think something like this should go into a referendum - something a true democracy should have more of, consulting the citizens about what we want. Considering the last time a referendum was held (1962), I doubt consulting the citizen on this matter is likely to happen.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want a referendum for this, we might as well not have a parliament but a municipal council. Referendums are typically meant of issues regarding sovereignty. There is a reason why you seldom see referendums in the democratic world.

The layman does not have the means and the time to do research. He might even struggle with the complexity of the issue and therefore his reps in parliament do this.

The death penalty may not be something that the majority of Singaporeans want to have abolished.
Personally, I think something like this should go into a referendum - something a true democracy should have more of, consulting the citizens about what we want. Considering the last time a referendum was held (1962), I doubt consulting the citizen on this matter is likely to happen.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the recent US Elections, several states held referendums for legalizing homosexual marriages, as well as for the legalization the recreational use of marijuana.
Recently, the UK also held a referendum to switch from FPTP to Alternate Voting

So I disagree that referendums are used primarily for issues regarding soverignty. I agree that complex issues (e.g. economics) should not be made into referendum because most people won't understand them. Death penalty, as well as the stuff covered by the referendums mentioned above, are simple enough.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Death penalty for basically 2 crimes

drug trafficking and murder....

i have no problem seeing murderers going to the gallows.....

drug traffickers,,,,, i am not sure if someone should die to make a few bucks,,,, and the qualifications of how much would constitute to be penalised,,,, its so arbitrary,,,, extended jail time without a chance of parole VS death ????

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least one more crime carries the mandatory death penalty - discharge of firearms during the commission of a crime. This is another of those laws in which prosecution is made easy through the use of presumptions. As long as a firearm is discharged when a crime takes place (even if accidental or used as a warning or signal shot), it is presumed to have been discharged with intention to hurt or kill. The death penalty is mandatory.

The death penalty is also available for kidnap and treason.

Death penalty for basically 2 crimes

drug trafficking and murder....

i have no problem seeing murderers going to the gallows.....

drug traffickers,,,,, i am not sure if someone should die to make a few bucks,,,, and the qualifications of how much would constitute to be penalised,,,, its so arbitrary,,,, extended jail time without a chance of parole VS death ????