• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World's best camera phone coming to SGP!! Woohoo!!

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Nokia announces availability of WP smartphones[/h] by Jacqueline Seng | <time>27 November 2012 3:26pm SGT</time> <article class="feature"> <figure class="aligncenter">
sc001.jpg
<figcaption>The flagship Lumia 920.
(Credit: Nokia) </figcaption> </figure> It turns out that we were right about the Nokia Lumia 920 being available in early December in Singapore. Nokia has announced that the Lumia 920, along with its lower-end sibling, the Lumia 820, will be available from December 8.
The Lumia 920 and 820 will be priced at S$899 (US$722.32) and S$699 (US$561.63), respectively, without telco subsidies. The Lumia 920 will be available in black, white, yellow or red, while only black and white models of the Lumia 820 will be sold. However, you will be able to buy its wireless charging shell covers in white, black, cyan, red or yellow.
It's about time that the island-state gets the Windows Phone 8 handsets. As far as we know, India, Thailand and Hong Kong have already gotten (or will be getting) the WP8 handsets this month.
The Finland-based company also announced the pricing and availability for the wireless charging accessories. Do refer to the table below for the details.
AccessoriesColorsPriceAvailability
JBL PlayUp Portable Wireless Speaker for Nokia (MD-51W)Cyan, Yellow, Black, WhiteS$248December 2012
JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia (MD-100W)Cyan, Black, WhiteS$468December 2012
Nokia Purity Pro Wireless Stereo Headset by Monster (BH-940)Yellow, Black, White, RedS$448January 2013
Nokia Wireless Charging Plate (DT-900)Yellow, Black, White, Red, CyanS$88December 2012
Nokia Wireless Charging Stand (DT-910)Black, WhiteS$128December 2012
Fatboy Wireless Charging Pillow (DT-901)Yellow, Black, White, Red, CyanS$128December 2012

<tbody>
</tbody>
</article>

<figure>
ed-js-125x115.jpg
</figure> [h=5]About the author[/h] Jacqueline Seng is a presenter/writer for CNET Asia, focusing on mobile phones. Her induction into the world of IT involved typing out stories on a computer in kindergarten--not that much has changed. The only girl on the editorial team (for now), she is also an avid potato chip connoisseur, heist movie enthusiast and indie/hiphop music aficionado.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Second best.

nokia808pureview.jpg

In other news, Windows Phone is a flop, and Damian Dinning (the person responsible for PureView imaging technology) has quitted Nokia.

Windows 8 the operating system is also (projected to be) a flop and Steven Sinofsky has been fired.

Once you partner with Microsoft, you will be screwed. End of story.

MrBlueSky

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ed-js-125x115.jpg

About the author

Jacqueline Seng is a presenter/writer for CNET Asia, focusing on mobile phones. Her induction into the world of IT involved typing out stories on a computer in kindergarten--not that much has changed. The only girl on the editorial team (for now), she is also an avid potato chip connoisseur, heist movie enthusiast and indie/hiphop music aficionado.

Hi Jacqueline, i think you'll look sweeter without smiling.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nokia Exceeds Sales Expectations On Black Friday, Windows 8 Lumia 920 Sells Out Completely, Sticking With Microsoft Operating System Has Worked So Far

Nov 26, 2012 03:43 PM EST | Matt Mercuro

galaxy.jpg

(Photo : Reuters) A Nokia executive shows the new Lumia 920 phone with Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system at a launch event in New York.

Black Friday was a good day for many retail stores and companies alike, including Nokia which sold out of its Lumia 920 completely last Friday.
"[The Lumia] 920 Windows 8 Phone on AT&T was completely sold out by mid-day," Trip Chowdhry, the Managing Director of Equity Research at Global Equities Research wrote in a note to investors and reporters. He also stated that he was unable to get a converged view on the number of units each store received according to NASDAQ.com.
Like Us on Facebook
The company is currently the second largest cell-phone manufacturer in the world but sits seventh worldwide in overall sales numbers. The overall success the phone achieved on Black Friday wasn't expected but could be attributed to a number of things like the specs customers can expect to receive and other phones being sold out before Black Friday.
Using the Nokia phone, users have a top speed of 4G LTW, an advanced 1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and Internet Explorer. With full SkyDrive integration and backup, features like your photos, music, and videos can sync to other devices.
The 2000 mAh battery and power-efficient LCD display with brightness mode establishes the phone as one of the "most efficient phones" ever produced according to Nokia. The company also seems satisfied with the camera option the phone provides. The 920 comes equipped with an 8.7 megapixel LED flash PureView camera that includes wide-angle optics.
The phone has consistently been doing well on Amazon Wireless as the phone is currently on a 1 to 2 week backorder due to the high demand. The company is expecting to sell over 20 million phones before releasing a new device, which will most likely include Windows 8 again.
Despite what experts advised, Nokia stood by Microsoft's mobile operating system for the Google Android phone, and right now the unique operating system is probably one of the only reason's the 920 phones have sold at all. Though the operating system is arguably still behind what Apple and Samsung have to offer, it is predicted to one day grow to a worthy competitor.
The phone as a whole may never compete with the devices Apple of Samsung has out currently, but at $99 for a two year contract through AT&T the phone is an affordable option for those who don't want to pay close to $200 for an iPhone or don't like the size of the Samsung S3.

Read more at http://www.autoworldnews.com/articl...ing-system-has-worked.htm#DkG7pV4wyd6iwuzy.99

Last edited:

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Nokia Lumia 920 gets 2.5 million pre-orders, sold out in US
[/h] Surbhi Chawla, November 28, 2012
Lumia-920_sold-out.jpg

Nokia has been banking on its latest flagship smartphone Nokia Lumia 920 to make a comeback in the smartphone market. And if report published in Yahoo! China is to be believed then Nokia seems to be on the right track as this smartphone has already garnered 2.5 million pre-orders. Nokia had first showcased its Lumia 920 and 820 smartphones at a gala event in September 2012.
Nokia Lumia 920 comes with 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ display, Wireless charging support and 2000 mAh battery. Nokia Lumia 820 on the other hand is a mid-range Windows Phone 8 smartphone. It has a 1.5GHz Qualcomm S4 dual-core processor, 4.3-inch Clearblack display, 8GB of internal storage and an 8-megapixel rear camera.
Both Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 had started shipping in key markets in US, France and UK, followed by Russia and Germany by the fag end of October.

According to reports in Ubergizmo.com, by the mid of Novemeber, Nokia Lumia 920 was sold out Amazon's mobile store, and even at AT&T's website. This momentum is said to have continued all through the Black Friday weekend, with most stores and websites claiming to be out of stock or offering only one or two colour options for Nokia Lumia 920.
One of the major reasons for a good initial response to this smartphone could be the aggressive pricing strategy adopted by Nokia.
Nokia has been offering Lumia 920 in US for $450 without any contract, which is $100 less than Samsung's flagship device Samsung Galaxy S III and $200 less than Apple's iPhone 5. It was earlier rumoured that Nokia will be launching its Lumia 920 in India sometime in November, but later pushed back the same to December. As of now, there is no confirmation about the India pricing of this smartphone.

Kanggie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If looking for fullest features, of course nothing beats the Samsung Galaxy S III, but the Nokia has the best camera for a smartphone.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Nokia Lumia 920 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Comparison[/h]

[video=youtube;_Vsekq0IHSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vsekq0IHSc[/video]

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=3]Is Nokia's 920 the most innovative smartphone?[/h]
Posted on November 27, 2012 - 16:10 by Rob Enderle
Share on emailEmail
More Sharing ServicesShare

Nokia's 920 Windows 8 Phone may be the best handset currently on the market, at least in terms of features.
The latest Nexus focused on a lower cost model, effectively taking it out of the running. And while the new iPhone 5 is very popular, it’s relatively small screen almost seems tiny in comparison to some of the latest Android devices like Samsung's Galaxy S III.
enderle_teaser.jpg

Essentially, to be a market leader, you have to demonstrate innovation so that others may follow you, which neither the latest Nexus or iPhone 5 is managing at the moment. From my perspective, the two phones that are vying for leadership right now are the Samsung Galaxy III S and the Nokia 920.
The Galaxy SIII clearly leads in size and the power of its flash (which could likely kill vampires at a distance), but the Nokia leads with inductive charging, as well as the best camera on the market. I personally know of several car manufacturers that are planning on integrating inductive charging. In addition, I use my phone camera quite frequently, so both of these features, at least for my purposes, trump the Samsung’s size. Plus, the 920 sales performance has been strong enough to prompt Nokia’s shares to jump 30%. So the device definitely seems to be a hit.
I’ve had the Nokia 920 for about a week now, here are my impressions.
Beautiful Phone
This is a pretty phone, while it didn’t come in the color I initially wanted (blue). However, you do get a choice and the white, black and red versions are stunning. I ended up with white but I do receive favorable comments from people when they see me use the phone. It looks and feels like hand art and the curved back and sides fit my hand extremely well. Meanwhile, the display is very bright and seems to work outdoors better than most. However, I do find the text often too small to read without glasses and, unfortunately, Windows 8 Phone doesn’t support expanding all text (like the subject line in an email where folks often put addresses or notes).
nokialumia.png

Sound Quality
I’ve finally gotten rid of all my MP3 players and use the phone for most of my music. The Nokia handset boasts advanced listening features which only work if you are wearing a wired headset and not over Bluetooth. Unfortunately, I use a Bluetooth headset when driving. Yes, I think the sound is great but it seems a shame to have advanced Dolby features and not be able to actually use them. Then again, the sound quality out of the phone speaker itself is still impressive and reminds me of the AM/FM radios I had as a kid. Frankly, the only time I really use this speaker is for ring tones, but it does give me one heck of an impressive ring tone.
Bluetooth sound in the car is actually pretty impressive, but while pause and play work from the radio, skipping a track doesn’t and I’m hoping a coming patch will fix that. Nevertheless, it is kind of cool to be listening to some music on the phone and get in the car and have the music just continue, without plugging anything in.
Windows Phone 8
I’m a long time Windows Phone user and was a huge fan of Windows Phone 7. This is a solid improvement over 7 though I’d still like a VPN (not supported) to be able to use Skype and Netflix when I’m out of the country (some countries block Skype but you can get around the block with a VPN and Netflix won’t work out of country without a VPN). You’d also think Skype would come preloaded by now, but at least it is a free app. Finally, you have to use another free program called reinstalled to move your apps from one phone to the next. This should be built in as well, and most of this is just annoying during the initial setup.
Apps
The only app I’m missing is Aha Radio which ties in with my stereo system in the car, otherwise every app I use is on the phone. This platform offers an impressive variety right now and while it isn’t as big on paper as either iPhone or Android, those libraries are so big, you likely won't even know about most of the apps that are actually available. There is that one advantage to being smaller, namely, the ability to explore and find by browsing.
Inductive Charging
I’m becoming a huge fan. Getting the micro-USB plug into most phones is a pain particularly when I’m tired and just want to go to bed. The number of times I’ve awakened to a dead phone because I didn’t push the plug in all the way is embarrassingly large as a result. With inductive charging, unique to the 920, you just set the phone down on the charger and walk away finding the phone fully charged when you wake up. It may seem like a little thing but it was a nightly annoyance to get that damned plug in the right way in a dark room and not having to do that is almost worth this phone alone.
Pictures
This phone takes amazing pictures and if you’ve never used a Windows 7 or 8 phone you are missing the one button picture experience. Basically you pick up the phone, you don’t need to unlock it, hit the camera button, it brings up the camera, and then hit the button again to take a shot. It pushes the picture up to your SkyDrive and you can email or share it from the phone. When you get home, assuming you have the SkyDrive app on your PC, your pictures are waiting for you. To my knowledge this is the only camera phone you can get in this country with both mechanical image stabilization and high end (in this case Carl Zeiss) lenses. The result? Just incredible pictures and far fewer missed shots.
Wrapping Up: Just the Beginning of Better Together
It often seemed like the "better together" message that Microsoft has made for decades only really worked in some marketing guy’s head. But I’m now using a Surface Tablet on the road, a Windows 8 Workstation in the Office, the 920 Windows phone and damned if they don’t work together very nicely.
Granted, there is some room for improvement, like automatically providing a similar personality across all three devices (right now you get commonality between tablet and PC but not the phone), or better syncing my passwords and ID for things like Skype and SkyDrive. But overall I’m impressed with the progress, as this is so much better than living in a Windows world used to be. So yes, I’m becoming a fan again.
If Microsoft continues to make advancements like this, by the end of the decade, I doubt anyone will be able to touch them, even Apple.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
no vibrations!!! better than your car cam!!

[video=youtube;yyQJRahlkw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQJRahlkw4[/video]

Last edited: