• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World Cup 2010 Qualifiers

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brazil is the only country to have played in every World Cup finals, it won more World Cup titles than any other country, but ironically among thd World Cup winners, Brazil is the only one that failed to win the World Cup finals it hosted in 1950. All other World Cup winning countries have won at least one of the World Cup finals they hosted.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..against Andorra tonight. I think that anything less than a 3-goal winning margin would be considered disastrous.
Well, the bakers and all held out until Joe Cole's 2 face saving goals. Some more Cole and Rooney kena yelled by Capello for falling too deep. Croatia's a different cup of tea:p:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FT score Chile lost 0 - 3 to a much improved Brazil who deployed 3 strikers (Fabiano, Robinho and Ronaldhino).

Thanks for the update. :smile:

Bro, i listen to the Stones amongst others. you too eh? :smile: Cheers.

I see a red door and I want it painted black...:cool:

Here it comes, here it comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown...:eek:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, the bakers and all held out until Joe Cole's 2 face saving goals. Some more Cole and Rooney kena yelled by Capello for falling too deep. Croatia's a different cup of tea:p:biggrin:

England's creative spark is only found in Joe Cole. Other than that, Lampard don't create that many, Gerrard don't perform that well for country as for club. Rooney left too alone. Capello is known for defensive since his days in ISA. I don't think he will or knows to bring an attacking edge to the england team.

However though england can't win big, i think somehow or another, they will be able to get those 1-0 wins to gain qualification. Which is most important for Capello. Even greece won Euro with 1-0 wins. so is not how you win, but the end result.

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
england seems stagnant in the way they play......no improvement since capello take over.....wonder if they have what it take 2 qualify 4 the world cup.....?????

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The way England's playing, it won't be surprising if it loses to Croatia and Ukraine, and Capello got sacked with a sack of sterling pounds.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way England's playing, it won't be surprising if it loses to Croatia and Ukraine, and Capello got sacked with a sack of sterling pounds.

I don't think his style will cause them to lose.

My view is that from the past, England is never an attacking team. Yeah, we watch a lot of EPL games, but when England players wear the national jersey, their attacking instincts were all left at home. We seldom see England team effectively put chances into goals. Most of the time they play long ball. Even if they appoint Scolari or any other attacking minded managers, they still can't play attacking football. Since can't play attacking, they must work on their defense and go for counter attack.

I think Walcott was placed in the 1st half to run the Andorra's defence to find chinks in Andorra's armour for Capello. Then when Joe Cole was introduced in, he just need to work on the weaknesses.

Barring that, England was not expected to score many. They were expected to win, which they did. With Capello at helm, they have a defensive tactician.

The only problem is the fans and critics only wants the team to play attacking football and win. How when the current crop of players are not that attacking minded? With Capello, they can be more defensive minded and if England is patient, they will edge out small margin wins via counter attacks.

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
brazil with dunga as head coach play defensive football too.....the only difference is brazil has a number of players that can change the outcome of the match with their individual skills.....england doesn't have any except rooney but his form is dipping currently......

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a trend in Europe. Countries from Germany eastwards simply play to win regardless of beginning or ending, and score as many goals as possible regardless of whether only one or a few goals are required.

Countries from Italy westwards tend to calculate the points, goals and effort required. It's this kind of mentality that has caused more a few embarrassments to Italy, England etc. in the past, when a mishap or a miscalculation plunged them into a point of no return.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a trend in Europe. Countries from Germany eastwards simply play to win regardless of beginning or ending, and score as many goals as possible regardless of whether only one or a few goals are required.

Countries from Italy westwards tend to calculate the points, goals and effort required. It's this kind of mentality that has caused more a few embarrassments to Italy, England etc. in the past, when a mishap or a miscalculation plunged them into a point of no return.

Effectively, the Italians have been good performers on international stage compared to the English. The English have been perennial under-achievers. under-achievers because everyone expect them to win big and they can't.

The MilkMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
a lot of matches for this coming wednesday.
some interesting matchup - Croatia vs England.
Croatia's manager is also interested in the vacant West Ham's post and England is being accused of using "dirty" trick to try to cause disruption and distraction to the Croatia's preparation. Croatia has been undefeated in home since the early 2000.
can England break it and come home with a win.

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
in my opinion, most of the england players are over-rated !!
i feel that only maybe only roodney, gerrard, ferdinand and maybe john terry can get into Italy or Spain 's national team. Maybe they will even sit on the bench.

These English players are over rated because of the media, and the success of EPL. Is a simple fact.

As for Croatia, they play well as a team because the team has been playing together for past 5 years, almost the same 20-25 players.

If England want to do well, they need to manager with strong character, and I believe Capello can do this job, he can be slightly better than Erikson, I expect England to be succesful under Capello. by Successful, i mean reaching Qtr Finals in World Cup 2010. I do not set too high expectation of england, basically the team is over rated. If they can reach Qtr Finals, i think can be considered successful liao

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
itz not whether the players r over-rated or not.....itz a case of how the manager deploy the players in what position 2 maximise his potential & the formation he uses against different opponent......gus hiddink is 1 outstanding coach coz he knows his players well & get the best out of him even though he looks ordinary playing under another coach......he also studies the opponents his team faces by watching hours & hours of them playing & analysis the formation they will likely 2 use.......tatz y hez so successful with different teams tat seems 2 have not so "talented" players......

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
itz not whether the players r over-rated or not.....itz a case of how the manager deploy the players in what position 2 maximise his potential & the formation he uses against different opponent......gus hiddink is 1 outstanding coach coz he knows his players well & get the best out of him even though he looks ordinary playing under another coach......he also studies the opponents his team faces by watching hours & hours of them playing & analysis the formation they will likely 2 use.......tatz y hez so successful with different teams tat seems 2 have not so "talented" players......

I agree with you on some points, but also disagree on other points. One thing to note is. Gus Hiddick has never managed a world class team or a team that is expected to win a tournament. No doubt... i believe he is one of the top 5 manager in the world now.
you see... last 6-8 years... Gus managed Korea, Australia and Russia. These are teams that never expect to surpass the Group Stages, so once he got them pass the Group Stages, he is considered a super hero liao