• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woh !! TPL want to elderly with $300 per year to buy medicine..

JohnnyQuid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think TPL really2 desperate for approval...

More help for low-income elderly in MacPherson
By Evelyn Choo | Posted: 06 February 2012 1715 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Elderly in Singapore

Video

More help for low-income elderly in MacPherson

inShare

SINGAPORE: A S$150,000 fund to help low-income elderly residents of MacPherson will be launched later February.

One in three residents in MacPherson is aged 50 and above, and about 1,400 of them live alone. This represents about eight per cent of Singapore's silver population.

The constituency's Member of Parliament, Ms Tin Pei Ling, said the fund will help subsidise some of the health care expenses of those aged 50 and above.

Ms Tin was speaking to reporters at a media briefing ahead of a ministerial community visit by Minister in the Prime Minister's Office, S Iswaran.

She said: "We hope that with this MacPherson CARE fund, seniors in MacPherson can look forward to tapping on this fund to relieve some of the financial stress they may feel when seeking medical follow-ups."

Ms Tin and her team of grassroots leaders believe that some of the elderly residents struggle financially, even when it comes to caring for their health.

She said: "Some of them may not have been aware of the national schemes that they can benefit from. Some of them are still worried about the amount that they have to pay even after the subsidies."

The new fund will subsidise various health and medical expenses - from eye care and dental care, hearing and walking aids, to non-critical medical conditions.

This is likely to benefit elderly residents who have applied for assistance under national schemes and are sometimes asked to wait for over a month.

Goh Khon Chong, chairman of the MacPherson Citizens' Consultative Committee, said: "We will be in a quicker position to assess their needs because we have our Residents' Committees networks. So with that, we can make quick decisions probably in less than a week, maybe in two or three days, we'll be able to disburse the fund."

A successful applicant may receive a maximum payout of S$200 for each expense, capped at S$300 per year. Ms Tin said this figure will be reviewed in the next six months.

The constituency will also set up a help desk where Meet-the-People Sessions are held to attend to these applicants.

Besides schemes for the elderly, residents can also expect more changes.

A task force has been set up to provide a semi-formal platform for youths residing in MacPherson to design programmes for the constituency.

And at the heart of the constituency is the MacPherson Community Club, which will be closed in March for upgrading. Built in 1981, the MacPherson CC is 31 years old and was last upgraded in 1995. Residents can expect more space for interaction, barrier-free access, and new amenities when upgrading works are completed in July 2013

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One step closer to a full blown "entitlement" mentality.

A successful applicant may receive a maximum payout of S$200 for each expense, capped at S$300 per year. Ms Tin said this figure will be reviewed in the next six months.

What's the problem when we can afford and moreover the amount involved is so small. Only 'successful' applicants are eligible.
And do you think those successful applicants want to be sick deliberately?
This is no fucking big deal and it's just another full blown publicity they needed desperately to swing some votes over.
At your age now, I can afford max $300 p.a. on you without any application or qualification if you were sick from now on.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody "deserves" to get $300 per year and contributing nothing in return.

The old folks have contributed one way or another in the primes of their lifetimes and mind you, during difficult times of nation builiding in infancy. This is deserved gratuity, even arguably inadequate. You should learn some continuous tense and perfect tense after having stagnated between verb and noun for so long.

Last edited:

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least she is still doing a constituency duty unlike the one in Hougang who has AWOL and gone into hiding....It is sad that the worst PAP MP is doing a better job than the "Great Successor" of the Workers' Party (from both Singapore and North Korea).

Nobody "deserves" to get $16,000 per MONTH and contributing nothing in return.

初六 then start to 开工!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The old folks have contributed one way or another in the primes of their lifetimes and mind you, during difficult times of nation builiding in infancy. This is deserved gratuity, even arguably inadequate. You should learn some continuous tense and perfect tense after having stagnated between verb and noun for so long.

Give me a break! You're trying to paint a scenario that never existed. These old farts weren't driven by sacrifice and the noble cause of "nation building". They were simply earning a living just like everyone else.

While they were contributing, they were paid. While they were being paid, they should have saved for old age. If they didn't, it's their own fault.

I started my website during the "pioneering days" of the internet and while on line political forums were in their infancy. I worked very hard to make my site a success often putting in 20 hour days in order to lay the foundations of what is now a thriving on-line community of political commentators. Does that entitle me to $300 per year for doing absolutely nothing from now onwards?? If it does, please pass the hat around on my behalf. I'll PM you my account number so you can deposit the cash.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"successful applicant may receive a maximum payout of S$200 for each expense, capped at S$300 per year. Ms Tin said this figure will be reviewed in the next six months." quote

What does it take to be a successful applicants?, it this based on, regardless, of race, language or religion & PA ( political affliation)?

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a chance for TPL to score points, only old folks in MacPherson are eligible. Something like the upgrading...you vote for me I let you have it... subject to approval and it is not an entitlement.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I started my website during the "pioneering days" of the internet and while on line political forums were in their infancy. I worked very hard to make my site a success often putting in 20 hour days in order to lay the foundations of what is now a thriving on-line community of political commentators. Does that entitle me to $300 per year for doing absolutely nothing from now onwards?? If it does, please pass the hat around on my behalf. I'll PM you my account number so you can deposit the cash.

Can we pay our medical bills will Rep Points? Can we upgrade to Class A with Rep Powers? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least she is still doing a constituency duty unlike the one in Hougang who has AWOL and gone into hiding....It is sad that the worst PAP MP is doing a better job than the "Great Successor" of the Workers' Party (from both Singapore and North Korea).

Nobody "deserves" to get $16,000 per MONTH and contributing nothing in return.

初六 then start to 开工!

Which MP, either PAP or opposition, holds MPS during CNY week?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody "deserves" to get $300 per year while contributing nothing in return.

Think System.
The cost of NOT providing $300 may be greater in future.

Even culling non-contributing troublemakers (they are a lot in oz/nz) cost money - even if it is money well spent and create unemployment for security and medical industries :biggrin: Not a problem for aging pop.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If everyone are putting 20 hour days working their arse off, they will have no time to visit your website. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My big question is where did the funds for this fund come from? :rolleyes:

Was about to ask the same question.

I know several bizmen who sought assistance from their MP with matters pertaining to immigration and MOM facilities. One, even MOH. When their appeal succeeded, they donated. There are also others who make donations in anticipation of future assistance needed.

The key question to raise is whether approval would have been given if non-MIW wrote in to appeal.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually Leongsam,
without you, the online political discussion will still strive in these internet era.
you just happen to be at the right place at the right time.
You are just another LKY-wannabe, claiming to be the saviour of sgreans
and trying to use this as an excuse to reward yourself with $.
And since you think that these old deserve nothing in return,
then why are you migrating to a country that takes care of the welfare of the old?

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually Leongsam,
without you, the online political discussion will still strive in these internet era.
you just happen to be at the right place at the right time.
You are just another LKY-wannabe, claiming to be the saviour of sgreans
and trying to use this as an excuse to reward yourself with $.
And since you think that these old deserve nothing in return,
then why are you migrating to a country that takes care of the welfare of the old?

Haha, a solid uppercut to Leongsam's jaw. Good job, coolguy! And also to all other forummers who battered Leongsam into his corner and sitting on his stool now catching his breath. It's pretty easy to demolish all the nonsense he spouts isn't it?

But just in case some forummers had been misled by Leongsam that those who need assistance from the govt are good-for-nothing fellas who sit at home watching TV while waiting for manna to fall from the sky, let me correct this.

Many of the last, least and lost in our society are not like that at all. A large portion of them were born into poverty and unable to break out of the poverty cycle. This has become worse over the years with the PAP policies only geared towards making the rich richer. Others had fallen into bad times due to the retrenchment, structural unemployment, medical illness and so on. Quite a number of them had held high positions and good jobs before. They had contributed their fair share to this nation. But due to the influx of foreigners, they were passed over for employment. They are still desperately seeking for jobs everyday and are willing to take on temporary jobs. These people have their dignity and they would want to be gainfully employed as soon as they can. They don't laze around all day with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other as what Leongsam had tried to paint. In fact, they are quite apologetic that they had to burden others for help. What they really need from the govt is some form of help that can help them tie over before they can get back on their feet again. True, some will never get back up again and need permanent help, but these are usually those who have medical conditions, too poor to have gone to school back in those old days. But if that's the case, don't they deserve to be helped? One thing about all of them though. They are not quitters. In fact, they face the situation very stoicly while helpers like us break down from time to time in seeing their plight. So they are not quitters, they want to work again and start contributing to S'pore again. They are unlike some who could not take the heat in S'pore and flee to NZ and then mock these people in the comfort of their homes