• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Without PAP there is no Singapore today!!

kiko

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes i agreed PAP has done singapore good, in terms of education , economy and safe country.. but we still need opposition to challenge them in some ways.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a blessing that we are given good education, no hunger, no war and no natural disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Toba

[snip]

The Toba eruption (the Toba event) occurred at what is now Lake Toba about 67,500 to 75,500 years ago.[2] It had an estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index of 8 (described as "mega-colossal"), making it possibly the largest explosive volcanic eruption within the last twenty-five million years. Bill Rose and Craig Chesner of Michigan Technological University deduced that the total amount of erupted material was about 2800 cubic km (670 cubic miles) — around 2,000 km³ of ignimbrite that flowed over the ground and around 800 km³ that fell as ash, with the wind blowing most of it to the west. By contrast, the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens ejected around 1.2 cubic km of material, whilst the largest volcanic eruption in historic times, at Mount Tambora in 1815, emitted the equivalent of around 100 cubic kilometres of dense rock and created the "Year Without a Summer" as far away as North America.

The Toba eruption was the latest of a series of at least three caldera-forming eruptions which have occurred at the volcano. Earlier calderas were formed around 700,000 and 840,000 years ago.[3]

To give an idea of its magnitude, consider that although the eruption took place in Indonesia, it deposited an ash layer approximately 15 cm (6 in) thick over the entire Indian subcontinent; at one site in central India, the Toba ash layer today is up to 6 m (20 feet) thick[4] and parts of Malaysia were covered with 9 m of ashfall.[5] In addition it has been calculated that 1010 metric tons of sulphuric acid was ejected into the atmosphere by the event, causing acid rain fallout.[6]

Landsat photo of Sumatra surrounding Lake TobaThe subsequent collapse formed a caldera that, after filling with water, created Lake Toba. The island in the center of the lake is formed by a resurgent dome.

[snip]

According to the Toba catastrophe theory proposed by Stanley H. Ambrose of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1998, human populations may have been reduced to only a few tens of thousands of individuals by the Toba eruption.[8]

[snip]

Smaller eruptions have occurred at Toba since. The small cone of Pusukbukit has formed on the southwestern margin of the caldera and lava domes. The most recent eruption may have been at Tandukbenua on the northwestern caldera edge, since the present lack of vegetation could be due to an eruption within the last few hundred years.[9]

Some parts of the caldera have experienced uplift due to partial refilling of the magma chamber, for example pushing Samosir Island and the Uluan Peninsula above the surface of the lake. The lake sediments on Samosir Island show that it has been uplifted by at least 450 metres[10] since the cataclysmic eruption. Such uplifts are common in very large calderas, apparently due to the upward pressure of unerupted magma. Toba is probably the largest resurgent caldera on Earth. Large earthquakes have occurred in the vicinity of the volcano more recently, notably in 1987 along the southern shore of the lake at a depth of 11 km.[11] Other earthquakes have occurred in the area in 1892, 1916, and 1920-1922.[12]

Lake Toba lies near a fault line which runs along the centre of Sumatra called the Sumatra Fracture Zone.[13] The volcanoes of Sumatra and Java are part of the Sunda Arc, a result of the northeasterly movement of the Indo-Australian Plate which is sliding under the eastward-moving Eurasian Plate. The subduction zone in this area is very active: the seabed near the west coast of Sumatra has had several major earthquakes since 1995, including the 9.3 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and the 8.7 2005 Sumatra earthquake, the epicenters of which were around 300 km from Toba.

On September 12th, 2007, a magnitude 8.4 Earthquake shook the ground by Sumatra and was felt in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta. The epicenter for this earthquake was not as close as the previous two earthquakes, but it was in the same vicinity.

[snip]

Quoted from Wikipedia

All statements in bold apply to SG.

Pica_NA

Alfrescian
Loyal
many said PAP is doing a good job... but how we know opposition is not doing a good job if they are not given any chance?

LKY said they are not around to suppress the opposition but to give them the neccessary pressure for them to grow and be a better party.... My FOOT!!!

From bit and pieces, we can see that the opposition is press down by PAP.... those neighbourhood belong to opposition till now haven't upgrade... if PAP treat equally to all the citizen, how come those opposition don't have the chance to upgrade? how come opposition's budget is always blocked by the parliment? haiz... they can said whatever they want... but we can see with our own eye.....

I'm looking forward to 2010 election... I want to see how PAP fare....

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Schools Founded
Raffles Institution 1823
St Joseph's 1852
Anglo Chinese 1886
Methodist Girls 1887
St Patrick's 1933
Catholic High 1935

1356552537_934a9a3855.jpg

Raffles Institution - 1823

250px-Anderson_Bridge%2C_Dec_05.JPG

Anderson Bridge - 1910

300px-Coleman_Bridge%2C_Dec_05.JPG

Coleman Bridge - 1840

250px-Elgin_Bridge_2%2C_Dec_05.JPG

Elgin Bridge - 1929

300px-Old_Parliament_House%2C_Singapore%2C_Feb_06.JPG

Parliament House - 1827

180px-Old_Supreme_Court_Building_5%2C_Jan_06.JPG

Supreme Court - 1939

Paya_Lebar_Airport.jpg

Paya Lebar Airport - 1955

Last edited:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
granted the old man took tough decision which make us to be what we are today but it is a mockery of the political health when he over stayed his welcome...:mad:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
........ I'm looking forward to 2010 election... I want to see how PAP fare....
they tot that sgporeans living in opposition wards r shallow enough to fall for the lame carrot mah... "vote for us, we will help pump $XXXXXXX to upgrade your ward, even if we don't win, we sill still cater the sum to help"... hahahaha.

to me, what's the point of beautifying the island, returning only a small fraction of what rightfully was entitled to the ppl....? we need a better quality of life, to many, we need a life.

its stupid to have a beautiful island, while the ppl lead their lives with frowns.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
to me, what's the point of beautifying the island, returning only a small fraction of what rightfully was entitled to the ppl....? we need a better quality of life, to many, we need a life.

i remembered there was one year when the economic wasn't that rosy and upgrading was the hottest topic around...those slimes were preaching to the people day in day not to hope for too high pay and not be materialistic, which they are doing the same but in the same breath their tag line for upgrading was "BETTER HOME BETTER VALUE" so to encourage more to vote for MUP..:confused:

So on one hand they say dun be materialistic but on the hand they say a better home can fetch better value...

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
i remembered there was one year when the economic wasn't that rosy and upgrading was the hottest topic around...those slimes were preaching to the people day in day not to hope for too high pay and not be materialistic, which they are doing the same but in the same breath their tag line for upgrading was "BETTER HOME BETTER VALUE" so to encourage more to vote for MUP..:confused:

So on one hand they say dun be materialistic but on the hand they say a better home can fetch better value...
LOL... dun 4get, when they say upgrading, alota times, the residents r also coughing out $ to co-finance the upgrading, when it very well shouldve been bourne by the respective authorities.

as it clearly states on the T&C when buying HDB. wat goes on inside the apartment is your own problem, wat goes on outside the apartment is not your problem.

GanLi18dai

Alfrescian
Loyal
i learn that pap win 43 seat out of 51 parliament seat in 1963.

Singapore start grow with the leader ship of mr.lee start from 1965.

Singapore is fully independent from 9 aug 1965 lead by pap.

Without the leadership of mr.lee and pap members singapore will be just a small fishing village.

I do not understand why some singaporean do not recognize the fact?

By the way, i am not local singaporean.
This is what i think and please contribute your views ..:p

Fucking bastard. You whole family 18 generations fucked by dogs. You die mother fucking chee bye get raped by fucking bangalas. Your bastard dog sons and daughters all suck my fucking keling kia security guard black lan jiao.

You fucking degenerate babi not local you want recognize what fuck fact. Fact your mother chee bye scum lice you fucking piece of dogshit.

neutralsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a blessing that we are given good education, no hunger, no war and no natural disaster.

hmmm...

good education - we paid for it and studied hard for this - it ain't free education, isn't it true?

no hunger - we work our sweat and tears for this, there's no free meal from gahmen, isn't it true?

no war - the neighbouring countries did not act to create any war, so there is nothing to yell about, isn't it true?

no natural disaster - it is the geographical location that we are blessed in - has got nothing to do with pappies.

locky2ky

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL... dun 4get, when they say upgrading, alota times, the residents r also coughing out $ to co-finance the upgrading, when it very well shouldve been bourne by the respective authorities.

as it clearly states on the T&C when buying HDB. wat goes on inside the apartment is your own problem, wat goes on outside the apartment is not your problem.

i doubt it is co-finance. residents could have paid for everything plus a little profits for the hdb.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://countrystudies.us/singapore/

God made us, not PAP
Located astride the sea routes between China and India, from ancient times the Malay Archipelago served as an entrepot, supply point, and rendezvous for the sea traders of the kingdoms and empires of the Asian mainland and the Indian subcontinent.

Already a hub, not hype
In the first half-century after its founding, Singapore grew from a precarious trading post of the British East India Company populated by a few thousand to a bustling, cosmopolitan seaport of 85,000.

British shifted capital from Penang to Singapore
In 1826 the British East India Company combined Singapore with Penang and Malacca to form the Presidency of the Straits Settlements, with its capital at Penang.

Tax Haven - whose idea?
Trade at Singapore had eclipsed that of Penang by 1824, when it reached a total of $11 million annually. By 1869 annual trade at Singapore had risen to $89 million. The cornerstone of the settlement's commercial success was the entrepot trade, which was carried on with no taxation and a minimum of restriction.

CBD and ERP precursors?
The main site for mercantile activity in mid-century Singapore was Commercial Square, renamed Raffles Place in 1858.

Singlish not invented yet
In 1947, the colonial government inaugurated a ten-year program to provide all children with six years of primary education in the language of the parents' choice, including English, Malay, Chinese, and Tamil. Seeing an English education as offering their children the best opportunity for advancement, parents increasingly opted to send their children to English-language school.

Dr M came to town
In 1949 the University of Malaya was formed through a merger of Raffles College and the King Edward Medical College.

Healthcare without tears, uh...Medisave
Also in 1949, a ten-year plan was launched to expand hospital facilities and other health services.

Boom without hypes
By 1951 demand for tin and rubber for the war in Korea had brought economic boom to Singapore.

Constitution! She Wrote
Elections in Singapore were scheduled for March 1948, at which time a new constitution would go into effect.

Which Lim?
In May 1954, the Singapore Factory and Shop Workers' Union registered with the government, with Lim as its secretary general. By late 1955, the Singapore Factory and Shop Workers' Union included thirty industrial unions and had a membership of about 30,000.

Last edited:

gravure

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that without LKY and PAP, there is no Singapore today.
Just that I agree that without Robert Mugabe, there will be no Zimbabwe today, and we have Rhodesia.
Just because LKY and the PAP moulded from a fishing village to a city does not mean we have to keep them in power forever.
If they hinder progress, they must go.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
i doubt it is co-finance. residents could have paid for everything plus a little profits for the hdb.
frankly speaking i see the upgrading thing also a flaw in their lack of foresight la. today they claim they're throwing in additional lifts, to accomodate the aged & disabled.

to me, its a big joke. do they mean to say that in the 60's-80's when HDB was sprouting high rise (affordable housing for the ppl) our population all damn fit, no aged & handicapped around?

to think that they're now adding lifts, yet, the residents have to dig into their own pockets to pay for the upgrading as well.... is really ridiculous i find.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that without LKY and PAP, there is no Singapore today.
Just that I agree that without Robert Mugabe, there will be no Zimbabwe today, and we have Rhodesia.
Just because LKY and the PAP moulded from a fishing village to a city does not mean we have to keep them in power forever.
If they hinder progress, they must go.
well, i guess in any listed company or MNC... as soon as the charts start showing slow down in progress... the CEO's seat starts to shake.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
alot of people doesnt know the true meaning of freedom of speech..

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you are free to say anything you want. It means you can say what you want, and face the consequences.

democracy also means freedom of speech... look at what happend to the speakers corner today?

i have been saying the same thing for long time.... so have to agree with you on this..

frankly speaking i see the upgrading thing also a flaw in their lack of foresight la. today they claim they're throwing in additional lifts, to accomodate the aged & disabled.