• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Winter olympic 2010 Vancouver

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah i saw that

very funny, the korean squeeze himself 242 in between two korean 243/244, and cause the one behind him to fall.

they are lucky that not all 3 koreans fall, these happen in the past.

If not because of him, it is gold , silver and bronze for korea, blanket party for him.

610x.jpg

242 is the culprit.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The japanese speed skater suit is not translucent

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/photospecials/graph/speed0216/12.html

Look at this photo of the man suit, that mean the suit have an inter black suit with outer gold. Different material at the rectum area.

The gold material is not translucent, you cannot see anything underneath it.

So, the japanese gal have no g string under her suit.
it is just the imagination of some internet people.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what? chinaman are blind? Their FREE, it is riddle with mistake.

China raves about first figure skating gold
AFP06:22 AEST Wed Feb 17 2010

Chinese Internet users were ecstatic Tuesday at their nation's first ever Olympic figure skating gold, posting countless online congratulations to Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, the winning couple.

"Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo you made history and history will always remember you," one online user said on baidu.com.

"I jumped out of bed this morning to watch the pairs free skating event, and did not switch channels for four hours. It was so exciting, and we won!" another fan raved online.

The husband-and-wife team dealt a blow to Russia's 50-year domination of pairs figure skating when they won the gold medal in Vancouver on Monday.

Shen, 31, and Zhao, 36, had returned after retiring for two years, having won bronze at the past two Olympics.

"We've had this dream for many, many years," said three-time world champion Zhao. "We've won other titles and every time we heard the national anthem and the raising of the flag we wished it was the Olympic Games."

Another fan said on sina.com: "Their free skating wasn't a competition, it was an art display.

"I was deeply intoxicated by their perfect movements and wonderful music."

Another, commenting on Shen's comment after the win that she might have a baby, said on baidu.com: "Congratulations, a perfect curtain call. Now you can come home and have a baby."

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as far as i can remember, russian man win all the gold in single men figure skating

Men's Olympics figure skaters ready for 'toughest field ever'

"It's been said that this is the toughest field ever with four world champions," says American Evan Lysacek, the reigning world champ. The men's competition begins Tuesday with the short program. The free skate is Thursday.

"Every single medal contender can either be first or 15th," the USA's Johnny Weir says.

Leading the field is the skater Weir calls the sport's "rock star," Russian Evgeni Plushenko, trying to become the first man to repeat as Olympic champ since Dick Button 58 years ago.

Plushenko retired after the 2006 Games, then announced his return last spring and has since dominated every competition he's entered. Also making a comeback is Switzerland's Stephane Lambiel, a two-time world champion, after taking a year off because of injury. Rounding out the field of world champs is France's Brian Joubert. U.S. champ Jeremy Abbott and three-time U.S. champ Weir, Canada's Patrick Chan and Japan's Daisuke Takahashi and Nobunari Oda hope to knock those world-beaters off the podium.

"There's any of eight, nine, 10 guys that could win," says Chan's coach, Lori Nichol, who also choreographed Lysacek's programs. "I think it will be a great competition. Often what you see in the men's competition, when one skates well, the next skates well and it just feeds on it; they keep one-upping each other. I love that about men's skating.

"I've never seen a men's event like this — ever. I love how different each of them are, and I think that makes it really interesting for the audience as well."

The most obvious demarcation line: Those who do the quad vs. those who eschew the quad. Plushenko and Joubert are expected to attempt the four-rotation jump with abandon. Lysacek isn't planning one because of a left foot injury. Chan, hoping to become Canada's first male figure skater to win gold, also will not do the high-risk, high-reward jump.

During practice, groups of skaters share the ice, which at times leads to quad gamesmanship. "They nail it in front of me or around me, but it's all about what you do the day of competition. It's totally normal intimidation," Chan says, adding, "It will be exciting to see what Plushenko has up his sleeve."

Under the points-based scoring system, skaters don't need to land a quad to win a title. The last two world champions, Canada's Jeffrey Buttle in 2008 and Lysacek, won without attempting a quad.

As a result, the eternal debate between athleticism and artistry rages on. Many do not like the complicated scoring system, but younger skaters such as Chan, 19, say it makes the sport fairer. "It's a great way to promote an all-around skater," Chan says. "We'll start seeing more skaters like me in future generations." Meaning skaters who do not concentrate solely on jumps at the expense of transitions between elements, footwork and the interpretation of the music.

The skater who wins gold probably will have all of the above. If Abbott's confidence holds up, it could be a well-rounded skater such as him. "He has the whole package," says his coach, Yuka Sato. "He's a great jumper, a great spinner, a wonderful skater, a wonderful performer in this system."

Weir, too, cannot be overlooked. "I definitely feel confident that I have those two amazing Olympic performances in me," he says.

Still, controversy has found him in Vancouver. After wearing fox fur on one of his costumes in the U.S. championships last month, Weir says he received criticism. He has switched costumes for his Olympic free skate and says he's staying in the Olympic Village instead of a hotel because he fears for his safety. U.S. figure skating spokeswoman Scottie Bibb says she is not aware of any threats against Weir being officially reported.

On Monday, Weir aid he might even try the quad: ?What do I have to lose?? said Weir, according to The Associated Press. ?I?m not a favorite for a medal here. If I feel like doing it, I will do it.?

Just as the athletes began to arrive for these Games, allegations of judging shenanigans emerged when a private e-mail from a U.S. judge was made public. At the heart of the e-mail were Plushenko's comments.

"If the judges want someone to place high, they can arrange it," Plushenko was quoted as saying. "Like (in the European championships) in Tallinn, (France's) Brian Joubert got more points for his transitions than me, although we did exactly the same transitions on the ice. In fact, we don't have any transitions because we focus on our jumps."

International judge Joe Inman, not working here, forwarded Plushenko's comments to friends, including some judges, writing: "I find this an interesting observation of his own skating and the judges' marking of his transitions." When this e-mail was made public, Didier Gailhaguet, the president of the French skating federation and a central figure in the Olympic judging scandal at the 2002 Games, told L'Equipe: "It just proves that the North American lobby is on its way."

Such comments set off "an international firestorm of accusations that there is a North American bias against European figure skaters in the men's event," as Toronto's Globe and Mail put it. Inman said the intent of the e-mail was misconstrued.

After a recent practice, Plushenko's coach, Alexei Mishin, said, "Skating should be decided on the ice, not the Internet."

How this brouhaha will affect competition is unclear. Will Plushenko be more closely scrutinized? Will there be a backlash toward Americans? Weir suggested as much, saying, "Am I going to be judged differently because of what some stupid American judge did?"

Even further, USA TODAY revealed that Plushenko's artistry was criticized in a series of judges' educational videos that critiqued his 2006 Olympic performance. Last summer, the Russian skating federation demanded the International Skating Union remove Plushenko from the videos, according to three people with knowledge of the videos.

With this backdrop, the much-anticipated men's event begins. Now comes the question: Will it be decided on the ice?

------------------------------------------

Weir want to do QUAD? only if he like to have an icy butt. he should stick to triple triple. Let the russian do the quad.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tae-Bum Mo of South Korea was the surprise winner of the men's 500-meter long-track speedskating final. Mo was the only skater with sub-35-second times in both heats and won with a combined time of 69.82 seconds.
Keiichiro Nagashima of Japan finished second in 69.98 and Joji Kato of Japan was third in 70.01.
Pre-race favorite Kang-Seok Lee of South Korea finished fourth.
The highest American finisher was Tucker Fredricks, who was 12th with a time of 70.35 seconds. Shani Davis withdrew after the first heat, saying he wanted to concentrate on the 1,000 meters.
x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Mo Tae-bum of South Korea crosses the finish line in the men's 500 metres speed skating race at the Richmond Olympic Oval during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 15, 2010.

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

610x.jpg

First placed Mo Tae-bum , center, of South Korea, second placed Keiichiro Nagashima, left, of Japan and third placed Joji Kato of Japan during the flower ceremony following the men's 500 meter speed skating race.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: hello the gal also made mistake, why just talk about the man mistakes

Figure skater Robin Szolkowy feels like the ultimate loser

By Pritha SarkarPosted 2010/02/16 at 3:20 am EST
VANCOUVER, Feb. 16, 2010 (Reuters) — Robin Szolkowy had spun high into the air thousands of times as he performed the double axel to perfection in training and at numerous competitions. On Monday, that jump cost him the Olympic gold medal.

2010-02-16T082018Z_01_BTRE61F0N6100_RTROPTP_3_SPORTS-US-OLYMPICS-FIGURE-SKATING-GERMANS.JPG

Germany's Robin Szolkowy falls to the ice during his routine with compatriot Aliona Savchenko in the pairs free skating figure skating event at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, February 15, 2010. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

Savchenko were front-runners for the pairs title at the Vancouver Games and after completing their opening high-flying triple toeloop-triple toeloop combination, they looked set for gold.

They piled up the marks when Savchecko next nailed the throw triple flip.

Then as the duo launched into the double axels, Savchenko landed the jump beautifully but could only watch in horror as her partner sprawled on the ice after slipping over on his blades.

olympics30.jpg

Germany's Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy won the bronze medal in the pairs figure skating competition Monday in Vancouver.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Bronze medallists Germany's Aliona Savchenko (R) and Robin Szolkowy stand

x610.jpg
x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Aliona Savchenko (R) and Robin Szolkowy of Germany start their performance in the pairs short programme figure skating event at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 14, 2010.

610x.jpg

Germany's Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy react after receiving their score for their short program during the figure skating pairs competition at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Sunday, Feb. 14, 2010.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

Germany's Aliona Savchenko (L) embraces her partner Robin Szolkowy after their performance in the pairs free skating figure skating event at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 15, 2010.

610x.jpg

Sorry..sorry..sorry.sorry..sorry..sorry.sorry..sorry..sorry.sorry..sorry..sorry..sorry..sorry

x610.jpg

Germany's Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy react after receiving their score for performing their pairs free program

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cant believe the result of the men, some real upset.

Olympic men's figure skating: Russia's Yevgeny Plushenko leads after short program

Russia's Yevgeny Plushenko took an early lead in the men's figure skating short program with a score of 90.85 and stayed on top throughout the compeition. Evan Usalysacek, from the U.S., is in second place with a score of 90.30 and Japan's Daisuke Takahashi is in third place with a score of 90.25.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympi...nd-results/men-short-program_fsm010201uH.html

One major mistake and that is the end for the top three.

Free will be 2 days later.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
South Korean speed skater, Lee Sang-hwa, won the Olympic gold in the women's 500m.
Jenny Wolf, a world record holder from Germany, showed the best result in the second race, but was only second, 0.05 seconds behind the leader. China's Wang Beixing came third.
Yulia Nemaya of Russia, who showed the seventh result in the first race, fell and failed to finish.
olympics32.jpg

Sang-Hwa Lee leads Germany's Jenny Wolf at the halfway point of the final race in the Ladies' 500m Speed Skating

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

1. (R) Jenny Wolf of Germany reacts after finishing second to (L) Lee Sang-Hwa of South Korea
2. Lee Sang-Hwa of South Korea reacts after winning the gold during the women's speed skating 500 m

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

1. Gold medallist South Korea's Lee Sang-Hwa (L) cries as her coach comforts her after winning the women's 500 metres speed skating
2. Lee Sang-Hwa (R) is congratulated by bronze medallist Wang Beixing of China

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Bronze medallist Wang Beixing (L) of China is congratulated by her Canadian coach Kevin Crockett after the women's 500 meters speed skating race at the Richmond Olympic Oval during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 16, 2010.

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

610x.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Parents of Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili

610x.jpg

610x.jpg
The casket with body of Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger killed in a practice run at the Olympics, is carried shortly after arrival at Tbilisi airport early Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2010, in Tbilisi, Georgia. Kumaritashvili is to be buried Saturday at a churchyard in Bakuriani, a small town that is one of Georgia's most popular winter sports areas.

610x.jpg
People stand under a portrait of Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during the commemoration service at his house in the city of Bakuriani, some 160 km (100 miles) west of Tbilisi, February 17, 2010.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg
David (R) and Dodo (C) Kumaritashvili, parents of Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, react as the coffin containing his body arrives to their house in the city of Bakuriani, some 160 km (100 miles) west of Tbilisi.

610x.jpg

Relatives of the Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili mourn next to his coffin at his home

610x.jpg
Dodo Kharazishvili, right, mother of Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Olympic luger killed in a crash, is seen at home in Bakuriani, Georgia on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010. In a call home shortly before he was thrown from his luge and killed on an Olympic training run, Nodar Kumaritashvili told his father that he was afraid of the brand-new, lightning-quick track in Whistler. An unidentified relative is at left.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

Netherlands's Margot Boer, left, races Netherlands's Russia's Yulia Nemaya, rear right, during the first of two heats in the women's 500 meter race at the Richmond Olympic Oval at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

-bca249da49576bfe.JPG

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Russia's Yulia Nemaya reacts as she slides across the ice after losing her footing in turn two during the women's 500 meter event at the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia, Tuesday Feb. 16, 2010.​

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Athleticism vs. Artistry in Men's Figure Skating

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – The narrow difference in the top three results on the first night of Olympic men's figure skating here reignited an old debate in the sport: Which matters more, athleticism or artistry?

After the short program, only 0.55 points separated Russian Evgeni Plushenko, who won gold at the 2006 Games, from American Evan Lysacek. But on technical grounds, their performances were starkly different.

View Full Image

AFP/Getty Images

Russia's Evgeny Plushenko competes in the men's 2010 Winter Olympics figure skating short program at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver.
Mr. Plushenko, 27, who came out of retirement last year in order to regain his Olympic title, began his performance with one of the most athletically challenging moves in skating: the quadruple toeloop – known as the quad -- followed by a triple toeloop. For that feat, in which skaters jump and rotate completely four times, he earned 14.8 points.

As he left the ice, he gestured as if he was a fencer putting away his foil.

"I believe the quad is the future of skating," he told reporters.

Yet Mr. Lysacek and third-ranked Daisuke Takahashi from Japan – who themselves are separated by only 0.05 points – didn't attempt the quad on Tuesday night. Instead, they were rewarded by judges on the more subjective side of the sport, in which they earn points for their transitions between moves and their interpretation of the music.

Mr. Lysacek argued that the quad wasn't king. "Each step, each spin is equally important." he said. He previously broke his foot training for the quad, and decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

The quad is a divisive issue in the world of figure skating because if you perform it well, it boosts your score like nothing else. Yet if you do it wrong, it can cost an equally large chunk. That's what happened to Tomas Verner, who attempted the same combination of quad and triple as Mr. Plushenko, but ended up just completing a double toeloop – and only coming in No. 19 in Tuesday's competition.

In a press conference after their performance that largely focused on the quad, Mr. Plushenko argued that it is a sign of athletic advance in figure skating. "Of course we need transitions and steps – harder and harder. But I did triples in 1994," said Mr. Plushenko. All sports need new records, but "I think we stopped."

Journal Community
Vote: How much Olympics are you watching? Mr. Takahashi argued that "whether or not it is necessary depends on the person." Although he didn't do one on Tuesday, he said it was "necessary" for his overall performance.

The evening brought disappointments for some early favorites. American Jeremy Abbott, currently the U.S. gold medalist, missed his triple-axel jump triple lutz – and ended the night at No. 15. France's Brian Joubert, stumbled on his quad and later on a triple lutz, and came in at No. 18.

On Thursday night, the medals will be awarded after the men perform to a longer program, known as a free skate. In it, the quad could become less of a differentiator, because its overall weight in the program decreases. Still, the competition could hardly be tighter.

Said Mr. Lysacek: "I won't take any step in that free skate for granted."

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bjorn Ferry: Sweden's gold man in biathlon pursuit
By ARNIE STAPLETON
Associated Press
2010-02-17

A day of biathlon blunders couldn't dampen Bjorn Ferry's joy as he delivered the first Winter Olympics gold medal for the Swedish men in 50 years.
"I'm 31, and I've waited for this my whole life," Ferry said Tuesday after winning the 12.5-kilometer biathlon pursuit in 33 minutes, 38.4 seconds, 16.5 seconds faster that second-placed Christoph Sumann of Austria.
France's Vincent Jay, who started first after winning the 10K sprint in his Olympic debut Sunday, took the bronze, 28.2 seconds back.
Ferry became the first Swedish man to win a Winter Olympic gold since Klas Lestander won the 20K race at Squaw Valley in 1960.
But Ferry's victory was overshadowed by two racers setting off early because of mistakes by officials and volunteers at the start.

The International Biathlon Union called the mistakes an embarrassment.

"Why do we have this incompetence?" said Norbert Baier, the International Biathlon Union's technical delegate.
Baier said the two athletes who left early, American Jeremy Teela and Canadian Jean Philippe Leguellec, started from the wrong row. They both finished out of the medals.
Race officials missed the mistake and volunteers did not check to see they had the right bib numbers for that row.
The pursuit features staggered starts based on finish times from the previous event, and mistakes at the start gate also marred the women's 10K, where three women set off too late.
Because the remaining biathlon events do not include closely staggered start times like Tuesday's, there should be no repeat of the mistake.
"The problems are over," Baier said. "We had enough problems today."

610x.jpg

Sweden's Bjorn Ferry, France's Vincent Jay and Austria's Christoph Sumann (L-R) compete during the men's 12.5 km pursuit biathlon final at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in Whistler, British Columbia, February 16, 2010. Ferry won the gold ahead of Sumann who took silver and Jay who took bronze.

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Sweden's Bjorn Ferry celebrates as he crosses the finish line to win the men's 12.5 km pursuit biathlon final at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in Whistler, British Columbia, February 16, 2010.

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Austria's Christoph Sumann, Sweden's Bjorn Ferry and France's Vincent Jay (L-R) celebrate celebrate on the podium after the men's 12,5 km pursuit biathlon final.

610x.jpg
610x.jpg

x610.jpg
610x.jpg

Gold medallist Bjorn Ferry of Sweden

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The one Winter Olympic gold Canada cannot lose: men's ice hockey
The Winter Olympic sport that Canada cares about most – men's ice hockey – began with Canada defeating Norway, 8-0. The nation is desperate for its men's team to win gold on home ice after many years of disappointment.
x610.jpg

A man wears a hockey goaltender's outfit

610x.jpg

Canada's goalie Roberto Luongo blocks a shot against Norway during the third period of a preliminary round men's ice hockey game at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia

610x.jpg

Corey Perry (R) of Canada celebrates his goal with teammate Ryan Getzlaf (2nd L) in front of goalie Andre Lysenstoen of Norway

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Biathlon is great sport if they allow them to shoot each other

Figure skating is not a sport

Nothing done to music while wearing sequins should be classified as a sport

Gold medallists Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao of China are impressive. But is what they do a sport?

On this, I shall make my stand: Figure skating is not a sport. In fact, figure skating isn't even figure skating.

I love the Olympics. I enjoy watching so-called figure skating, which is an Olympic activity.

But figure skating is not a sport. It is athletic. It is artistic. It is beautiful, and it is not easy. So is ballet. Ballet is not a sport.

Figure skating fails the sport/not a sport test on three major grounds: The judging is subjective (Doubt that? Stand by for the quadrennial Olympic judging scandal); it is done to music; and it involves costumes.

Nothing done to music is a sport. And anything involving costumes (especially with sequins) is not a sport. Sports have uniforms, not costumes.

And now, why figure skating, in addition to not being a sport, is not figure skating. Her name is Beatrix (Trixie) Schuba of Austria, winner of the 1972 Winter Olympic gold medal for figure skating though she finished seventh in the "free skating" portion of the competition, far behind American Janet Lynn, who wound up with bronze.

To be nice, let's just say that Trixie was something this side of graceful. Here's how the AP reported her victory: "The big blonde from Vienna built up such a commanding lead in the compulsories earlier in the week that no one could catch her even though she only finished seventh in Monday's free-skating finale."

Here's the deal. Trixie was very, very good at figure skating - as in skating figures - and amassed an insurmountable lead in what was then known as the compulsories, the portion of the competition in which skaters had to methodically etch "figures" into the ice. Very, very boring. Very, very bad TV.

So the boys in marketing, haunted by memories of "the big blonde from Vienna," reduced the point value of the compulsories and increased the value of the free skating, which is what we now erroneously call figure skating.

In 1991, the compulsories were eliminated from the Olympics, leaving us with the activity now fraudulently known as "figure skating."

So now you now why figure skating is not figure skating. It should be called ice dancing, but there is something else called ice dancing. Ice dancing is not a sport. Remember the rules about music and costumes and sequins? And any activity that includes the word "dancing" is not a sport.

Folks will accuse me of jealousy because of my inability to do it. For the record, I also cannot play the tuba. That does not make tuba playing a sport. What else you got?

I like to watch figure skating. But I can enjoy watching it without needing somebody to tell me who "won."

Here is my handy guide to sport/not a sport:

Downhill skiing: Fastest one to the bottom wins. A sport.

Ski jumping: Whoever jumps the farthest wins, but there are style points involved. Anything that involves style points is not a sport. Surprisingly, not a sport.

Cross-country skiing: First one to the Finnish line wins. A sport.

Freestyle skiing: Includes subjectively judged events. Not a sport.

Hockey: Objective scoring. Missing teeth. A sport.

Ice dancing: You're kidding, right?

Curling: Frozen shuffleboard with brooms, objectively scored. Shockingly, a sport (though possibly more of a game).

Luge: Fastest one to the bottom wins. A sport.

Bobsled: See luge.

Speedskating: Fastest one wins. A sport.

Biathlon: Skiing and shooting while resisting shooting the guy in front of you. A sport, which would be huge in the U.S. if they had more snow.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The pressure is on Evgeni Plushenko
Russia pins medal hopes on comeback star

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Nothing would stop Evgeni Plushenko from acknowledging the moment himself -- certainly not the crowd, which was still on its feet, and certainly not the judges, who would give the skater the scores that would turn out to be the best of the night.

Competing against his first full international field since winning the Olympic gold medal in men's figure skating four years ago, the 27-year-old Russian left another mark on the ice shortly after he finished his short program Tuesday night at the Pacific Coliseum.

Plushenko, in a moment of high drama, pretended to pull a sword out of its scabbard before kissing it and sliding it back into its sheath.

It was an exclamation point of sorts for the three-time Olympian who is pulling double-duty at these Winter Olympics.

Plushenko not only is trying to reassert himself as the best skater in the world after a three-year layoff, but he's trying to soothe the sting of lost dominance in its most well-successful discipline: pairs.

On Monday night, when the top three spots on the podium went to two Chinese teams and one from Germany, it marked the end of an era. It was the first time a Russia or Soviet failed to finish on the podium in the pairs event at a Winter Olympics since 1960 at Squaw Valley. It also ended a gold-medal streak that dated to the 1964 Olympics.

"It gets more difficult with each Olympic Games," said Plushenko, also a silver medalist in 2002 in Salt Lake City, of his performance. "Not because I'm getting older, more mature, but because you have to prove yourself again. There was a lot of pressure from Russian Federation because of current results (in pairs)."

As if Plushenko needed any more pressure, there was something else: There has been a flap brewing regarding a statement he made some time ago that ended up the judging world. He admitted, basically, that he doesn't have any "transitions" -- one of five program components in the new judging system.

Plushenko, who opened with a textbook-perfect quadruple toe/triple toe loop combination, made it clear that he didn't want to be engaged in that topic.

"I don't care about the transitions or the scoring system," said Plushenko, who received 90.85 total points for his program -- 51.10 for his technical elements, and 39.75 for his program components (including 6.80 out of 10 for transitions). "I care today that I did a clean program. It's my third Olympic Games, and I skated not bad. I agree with the points

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On February 10, Vonn announced that she might miss the whole of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games because of a bad bruise on her shin, which she got during her February 2 training in Austria.
And, after practice on Sunday and Monday of this week, she complained about her right shin “throbbing really bad.”

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

VANCOUVER, BC - FEBRUARY 10: Lindsey Vonn of the USA Women's Alpine Skiing looks on during a press conference where she announced she may not compete in the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics on February 10, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada.

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

Lindsey Vonn of the U.S. skis away after the women's Downhill training run for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics was cancelled in Whistler, British Columbia, February 12, 2010.​