• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will ST promote TOC if Choo is a SDP member / supporter ?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng,

Fair reasonable point Bro. However perhaps quite difficult to find and draw a balance between who is using who. Same goes with taking up PAP offered NCMP perhaps?

Cheers

In my view, its not particularly about "principles". If anyone of us here could make use of this little dent by organizing events, like outdoor public forums, rallies and such at Hong Lim and succeed in drawing crowds to the hundreds or even thousands, then you would have beaten PAP in the game. PAP would have regretted to make that little steps back but it would possibly not able to back track now.

If we just sit here and do nothing, then PAP will say, see, I let you have freedom of protest, but it shows that I am right, Singaporeans are not interested in speaking up, least protest! Have you noticed that's what the local media is portraying ever since the rules are being relaxed?

Goh Meng Seng

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gomez is right to a certain extent. Alternative media may have limited impact for the time-being because of two reasons: 1. The population is less politically aware compared to Malaysians. 2. The opposition is so weak and in a way pathetic.

Three factors need to come together to create a political tsunami in GE 2011 - an intelligent electorate, a credible opposition and an alternative media to bypass MSM.

Avantas,

Now you may be onto people of credibility. Alex Au appears to be another possibility notwithstanding his anti 377A status. Also say Catherine Lim, Kevin Tan, Viswa Sadasivan, 'Elia Diodati' etc:p:wink: But I seriously can't see these types coming together to engage in such a vehicle/animal at this present time. Then again who knows eh?

As for "alternative media", I wonder whether what James Gomez has recently opined can withstand scrutiny? I for one am undecided.

"The evidence shows that the political structure, and in particular, the electoral system, rather than the availability of alternative online political content, accounts for the electoral outcomes in Singapore.

The current electoral system in Singapore is impervious to the impact of the internet. Hence, the freedom and ability to distribute alternative political content as a manifestation of voter sentiment will not lead to a change in electoral results. The study points to a need for electoral system reform to more accurately translate voter sentiment into parliamentary seats."

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be honest, I am quite disappointed too. Why did SG Human rights disband almost as fast as it was founded ? Even if you guys are too busy to maintain it, at least keep the facade, there's no need to terminate it.

Ng E-Jay,

SDP's website is quite an enlightening and at times welcome alternative, however the extreme biased anti-PAP slant albeit understandable can sometimes leave a non partisan reader cold and disappointed at times. Especially apparent distortions of history most recently seen in Ghandi Ambalan's somewhat skewered take of the Mariah Hertogh Affair.

Also SDP's constant posting of a whole range of other news feeder articles that at times make little sense with respect to its connection to SDP's causes also at times leaves a non partisan reader confused and puzzled. For eg. the one on the AIG/AIA bank run, what is the relevance?

Finally with regard to your goodself, with due respect, I think at times you tend to try too hard without being able to sustain much credibility. No doubt your heart appears to be in the right place and your passion is commendable but you got to learn to walk first before running right? For eg. you, Chia Ti Lik and Palay(amongst others I think) started SG Human Rights thinggy with fanfare and publicity only to quickly die a quick death. Compare this to say Maruah for instance and I think you may understand where I am coming from. Be that as it may, I think your strength may lie in statistical analysis under the political landscape, for eg. your insightful and enlightening analysis of the CPF Annuity issues and the various options.

Cheers

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas,

What you may have overlooked is that the Malaysian GE March08' political tsunami would probably not have happened if not for the poor bad ground conditions/realities i.e. endemic corruption; bumi elites favoured over the majority malays; minority races being treated like shitty immigrants and being threatened;high crime rate; and just plain poor governance.

Say what you want about LKY and the PAP government but they hardly come close to the above poor bad ground conditions/realities in Singapore and that is the big fundamental difference between what is now going on in Malaysia/Thailand as compared to Singapore.

Yes the 3 factors you mentioned are important no dount to help effect a move from total one party dominance of parliament but in the short to medium term probably not a breaking up of PAP government's 2/3 plus majority. 1 GRC would be good for starters and I think that is the short term realistic holy grail for now barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Cheers

Three factors need to come together to create a political tsunami in GE 2011 - an intelligent electorate, a credible opposition and an alternative media to bypass MSM.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas,

That is why I suggested to Ng E-Jay that it is perhaps better to learn to walk first before running. These chaps appear to have their hearts in the right place and also appear to have the passion however what may be lacking for now is tempered coherent strategic thinking. They should keep in mind that CREDIBILITY is key and the same needs to to be built up over time to gain the public's trust and attention.

Cheers

To be honest, I am quite disappointed too. Why did SG Human rights disband almost as fast as it was founded ? Even if you guys are too busy to maintain it, at least keep the facade, there's no need to terminate it.

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
To put things in perspective, it is not fair to judge E Jay on one instance.

E Jay has been an active forumer in the old SBF for many years with the nick Kai Xin.

He has been speaking up on sensitive issues including writing to the ST Forum.

Last year October, he wrote a letter to the ST criticizing Low Thia Kiang for which he was harrassed persistently by WP members and supporters for a few months ! One idiot even write in to NUS to sabotage him !

He is definitely more credible than Remy Choo or Andrew Loh. At least he is "clean" and does not have any links to PAP.

I mean, come on, E Jay is a PhD student and definitely the type of professionals PAP want to recruit. If he is half as pragmatic as Remy Choo, he would have joined the PAP.

Hence, I will give E Jay the benefit of the doubt now and I do hope to see him participating in the next GE.

Avantas,

That is why I suggested to Ng E-Jay that it is perhaps better to learn to walk first before running. These chaps appear to have their hearts in the right place and also appear to have the passion however what may be lacking for now is tempered coherent strategic thinking. They should keep in mind that CREDIBILITY is key and the same needs to to be built up over time to gain the public's trust and attention.

Cheers

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas,

I think you may have misunderstood where I am coming from. I am not questioning Ng E-Jay's commitment and engagement in civil society. What I am questioning is Ng E-Jay's (and his friends) apparent lack of thinking through on strategy. It is clear that he seeks publicity to raise awareness for his cause which is a good thing. However to effectively do so, one needs to create public trust and that entails building up CREDIBILITY and the same can be lost in a flash that has taken a lifetime to build up. Ng E-Jay and his friends need to be mindful of this fact. Learn how to walk before you want to run, or to quote Goh Meng Seng who despite his flaws does make sense at times "don't wear a hat that is too big":wink:

Cheers

To put things in perspective, it is not fair to judge E Jay on one instance.

E Jay has been an active forumer in the old SBF for many years with the nick Kai Xin.

He has been speaking up on sensitive issues including writing to the ST Forum.

Last year October, he wrote a letter to the ST criticizing Low Thia Kiang for which he was harrassed persistently by WP members and supporters for a few months ! One idiot even write in to NUS to sabotage him !

He is definitely more credible than Remy Choo or Andrew Loh. At least he is "clean" and does not have any links to PAP.

I mean, come on, E Jay is a PhD student and definitely the type of professionals PAP want to recruit. If he is half as pragmatic as Remy Choo, he would have joined the PAP.

Hence, I will give E Jay the benefit of the doubt now and I do hope to see him participating in the next GE.

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a little disappointing that SGHR was disbanded just after 8 months, but I don't think many will judge E Jay on that. In fact, he has gained a certain fame from the publicity and I do hope he will utilize it fully and take it from there.

We need more civil activists like E Jay instead of hypocrites and syncophants like you know who....

Avantas,

I think you may have misunderstood where I am coming from. I am not questioning Ng E-Jay's commitment and engagement in civil society. What I am questioning is Ng E-Jay's (and his friends) apparent lack of thinking through on strategy. It is clear that he seeks publicity to raise awareness for his cause which is a good thing. However to effectively do so, one needs to create public trust and that entails building up CREDIBILITY and the same can be lost in a flash that has taken a lifetime to build up. Ng E-Jay and his friends need to be mindful of this fact. Learn how to walk before you want to run, or to quote Goh Meng Seng who despite his flaws does make sense at times "don't wear a hat that is too big":wink:

Cheers

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas,

Cuts both ways my friend. Publicity is good if it is used and built up in an effective constructive manner. You got to have the staying power and not fizzle out after the fanfare is over. Credibility and trust is key.

Cheers

It is a little disappointing that SGHR was disbanded just after 8 months, but I don't think many will judge E Jay on that. In fact, he has gained a certain fame from the publicity and I do hope he will utilize it fully and take it from there.