• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will PAP increase more MP seats in GE 2016?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do think think PAP will increase the current 87 MPs in parliament to 20-30% more to make up for loss of their MPs to oppositions?

Recent increase in population justify to add more MPs to cover up their loss in 2016 and remain in power?

Perhaps time for Singaporeans and the oppositions to look into this probability of PAP GE2016 changes and start recruiting for candidates?

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes.... all the new estates will crave out for additional new mp. especially punggol, confirm will have 1-2 extra mp for the new estate.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think at most will increase from 87 to 95 max. Don't be surprised if the current oppo wards are sliced and diced by the EBRC.

PAP have many tactics to win big.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do think think PAP will increase the current 87 MPs in parliament to 20-30% more to make up for loss of their MPs to oppositions?

Recent increase in population justify to add more MPs to cover up their loss in 2016 and remain in power?

Perhaps time for Singaporeans and the oppositions to look into this probability of PAP GE2016 changes and start recruiting for candidates?

can PAP find more than 87 people willing to contest under pap?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly my thoughts. I think the PAPzis will find difficulty in attracting enough people to run because it is no longer a shoo-in, even in GRCs. I suspect, they may be forced to direct the EBC to reduce the number of constituencies and come up with excuses like 'with the improvement of technologies, MPs can handle larger wards.' They may even use skype or viber for MPS; that way, they hear only the problems of those with computers and internet connections.

can PAP find more than 87 people willing to contest under pap?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any gerrymandering will lead to mass protest by sinkees in 2016.

that's why we need to build on the momentum from 16 Feb 2013 protest. keep the heat on and make peaceful protests of bad pap policies a way of life. Such protests will not affect normal life but will compel the pap to think carefully before they try to shove bad policies into our throats.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One should not take Koh's defeat lightly. I won't be surprised good candidates withdrawing or losing interest. Of course as Zihau points out - sycophants are always there.

Last edited:

IPCcomputer

yes.... all the new estates will crave out for additional new mp. especially punggol, confirm will have 1-2 extra mp for the new estate.

Why only Punggol? Punggol is relatively a new estate that requires some more years of nurturing before it becomes a complete town with all the required facility.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just count how many SAF/SPF scholars/EDF managers there are.

if u guys expect pap to remain the same and roll over to die in 2016, then i sell whatever u guys are smoking. according to my spy(my mom), this year annual CNY dinner not the same as previous years, where everyone must wait very long for the bigshot mp to arrive and wait patiently till end of his/her speech before food is served. by then, the bigshot mp would have left and the RC chairman will handle the rest.

this year, no waiting and no long winded speech. mp came early, just said some simple CNY greeting and sit down to eat with everyone else. then he and his lackeys go ard EVERY tables to give greeting and have photo taken. in the word of my mom, the mp machiam behave like a bride groom in a wedding banquet. and within the hour, everyone in the table received the photo taken with the mp FOC.(previous years take with rc chairman must pay first b4 develop for u). btw, even the ticket for the CNY dinner greatly reduce, according to my mom, it only $15 per person.(compare to the $40 for WP that my mom attend last attend yrs ago, now dunno how much)

no worrys, my mom not going to the white side lah. she went because her rc friend who stay in a pap grc pay for her, free makan plus can chat with old friend, somemore got lucky draw, why not? as much as pap remain stick in the m&d, some of the younger pap mp knew exactly what happening on the ground and are changing their usual ways to retain support. there are still 3 full years before the next GE, the pap are still very much still at the upper hand and there is every thing to play for.

PS. my mom is an old hand at this type of grassroot dinner event. she been to this type of makan events for many years and many locations. she attended rc dinner conducted by lky tp grc(most expensive $50 in the 90s), jaya bedok grc, woodlands area rc, clementi rc and of course WP LTK hougang CNY dinner (strangely she never go to the losers conducted cny dinner) and she very impressed by the changes happening this year. even she know pap will work very hard to retain voters support.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just count how many SAF/SPF scholars/EDF managers there are.

minus those taken out by sex for contracts, paid sex with underage and sex with People's Association staff cases..................hmmmm, there's a common trend in there somewhere.....

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
as much as pap remain stick in the m&d, some of the younger pap mp knew exactly what happening on the ground and are changing their usual ways to retain support. there are still 3 full years before the next GE, the pap are still very much still at the upper hand and there is every thing to play for.

Ya, I dunno why people online think PAP will lose support. Makes no sense when PAP have 80 seats and WP got 7. Only WP can gain more seats, maybe triple current number. Other opposition parties will get 0 at next GE.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be about 70000 more new citizen and young voters next election and PAP will not want to lose too many of their Ministers and Minister quality MPs at one go. so I think they will cut up many GRCs and form many new SMCs in the Eastern part of Singapore. They will pit those MPs who they can afford to sacrifice like Tin Pei Ling, Lee Bee Wah, Vikram Nair, Lim Wee Kiak into SMCs while ministers and ministers of states stay in GRCs. My prediction for 2016:

90 seats available for contest
18 NCMP slots available, if the Opposition won more than 18 seats then no NCMP will be elected
25 SMC
9 3-member GRC
7 4-member GRC
2 5-member GRC
No more 6-member GRC

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The online community is quite divorced from reality. During the Punggol East BE, very few were certain of a WP win and almost no one gave LLL anything more than 1% victory margin.

Ya, I dunno why people online think PAP will lose support. Makes no sense when PAP have 80 seats and WP got 7. Only WP can gain more seats, maybe triple current number. Other opposition parties will get 0 at next GE.

Fool_Me_Hard

Alfrescian
Loyal
The online community is quite divorced from reality. During the Punggol East BE, very few were certain of a WP win and almost no one gave LLL anything more than 1% victory margin.

After many years of kpkb about the PAP but still voting for the PAP and giving them easy wins, of course no one will think Lilian will win by a 10% margin. Maybe now more and more citizens vote according to their conscience.