• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Why would PAP spend $3.5 billion on expanding container port, when its going downhill

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why would PAP spend $3.5 billion on expanding container port, when its going down

Pasir panjang expansion is meant to replace tanjong pagar which will be closed down soon. Tuas terminal is replacement for keppel and brani terminal. This enable them to free up prime land from tanjong pagar to brani for office, shopping, properties, theme park etc.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Why would PAP spend $3.5 billion on expanding container port, when its going down

The $3.5B is gambling money. They are betting (and hoping) that the Kra Canal will not be built by Thailand & China. Same as uncles and aunties pay $100 at RWS in the hope of winning more.

betting on something that even if it happens is most likely going to be at least 5 years down the road is insane,even if kra canal doesnt happen how can they be sure theres will be enough shipping traffic increase to fill the additional capacity to pay off the investment?

WujiBo

Alfrescian
Loyal

So that everyone can get busy and have meaning and purpose in life? At taxpayers expense?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't say is a smart move but it is a move we have to gamble.
if we don't try, for sure we are finished.
if we try, there is a chance for us to survive. who care if the chance is slim.

The $3.5B is gambling money. They are betting (and hoping) that the Kra Canal will not be built by Thailand & China. Same as uncles and aunties pay $100 at RWS in the hope of winning more.

This is one losing against the odds lopsided bet.....even if emerge as unlikely winner there's not going to be a huge payout.
Pap planning so far ahead? They're clueless only now how to plunder as much as possible and jump ship before the ship sinks

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After you spend all the $$$ on moving the port then what happens:confused:

I can understand if they want to upgrade the port facilities but they are talking about moving the port & reusing the land for condos & shopping malls. In other words spending more money $$..$$. This is just going to drive up the costs of the land that is being redeveloped. With more global competition out there they should be looking at ways to reduce the cost for the shippers & thereby make Spore a more attractive destination, & not increase the costs with all these pie in the sky plans.

We already have malls in Orchard Road & the shops are not doing well because they have priced themselves out of the market. It is cheaper to go shopping in Malaysia or Bangkok & that is where the tourists are going. When the fast rail connection to KL is ready I expect more Sporeans to do the same:wink:

This will only create a money making opportunity for the PAP & their cronies. :rolleyes:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is one losing against the odds lopsided bet.....even if emerge as unlikely winner there's not going to be a huge payout.
Pap planning so far ahead? They're clueless only now how to plunder as much as possible and jump ship before the ship sinks

Such a worrywort. Ha ha ha. As long as there is loot, Loong will share it around. When the kitty is empty, he won't want to be around when it happens. Why TCH, NEH, Tharman dun want to be next PM? Age? Dun be silly. 80 year old still can fuck and be father lah what age is a problem. :rolleyes: It a tough job bro! I wun want to be PM either! That is why strategy is to be oppo MP witnessing over the collapse of the PAP house of cards, not presiding over it and get the blame!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kra canal will be built and I want it to happen. I want to see sinkieland and it's pathetic ball-less population fall down hard.

I doubt if the kra canal will be built. It will costs as much as panama or suez to build, but not many will pay for about 5 sailing days it will save.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 days is good time savings for online biz. Sea cost less than air shipment.

For military purpose build the carnal will benefit China, in perpetual, and Asians country war with Ah neh one day.

It is a one time cost worth doing perpetual short cuts sea route for China. Can fuck off useless lazy m&d some more. m&d can go back to fishing village and rest one corner.

[=syed putra;2529838]I doubt if the kra canal will be built. It will costs as much as panama or suez to build, but not many will pay for about 5 sailing days it will save.[/QUOTE]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I doubt if the kra canal will be built. It will costs as much as panama or suez to build, but not many will pay for about 5 sailing days it will save.

Agree. Rail is the future of the Asia-Europe route. Digging the canal brings insignificant benefits to thise involved. What we should be concerned are other transhipment ports in the region but they will not find the money to build a deep infrastruture. As long as cheap, there will be business for all. :smile:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

u are right, all their so call planning have failed miserably. why should this one be any different? The world has an over capacity in container terminals just like in container ships. This expenditure does not justify the benefits.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

5 sea days is significant savings for any shipping line. And it avoids the pirate infested waters around here.

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal

The northern Arctic route also increases the risks of building the Kra Canal. Enemy of our enemy has become our Friend

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal

After you spend all the $$$ on moving the port then what happens:confused:

I can understand if they want to upgrade the port facilities but they are talking about moving the port & reusing the land for condos & shopping malls. In other words spending more money $$..$$. This is just going to drive up the costs of the land that is being redeveloped. With more global competition out there they should be looking at ways to reduce the cost for the shippers & thereby make Spore a more attractive destination, & not increase the costs with all these pie in the sky plans.

We already have malls in Orchard Road & the shops are not doing well because they have priced themselves out of the market. It is cheaper to go shopping in Malaysia or Bangkok & that is where the tourists are going. When the fast rail connection to KL is ready I expect more Sporeans to do the same:wink:

This will only create a money making opportunity for the PAP & their cronies. :rolleyes:

I don't agreed they should be moving the ports, airbase, bird park etc from one place to another new place.
this really cost lost of billions.
is like tearing down a few blocks of old flats and rebuild new flats again.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kra canal will be built and I want it to happen. I want to see sinkieland and it's pathetic ball-less population fall down hard.

if china can build the great wall and three gorges dam and the world's longest bridge, then the kra canal should be a piece of cake. all they need is consistent funding with less corruption.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't agreed they should be moving the ports, airbase, bird park etc from one place to another new place.
this really cost lost of billions.
is like tearing down a few blocks of old flats and rebuild new flats again.

Exactly, this is the same policy as tearing down old flats & moving them around. At the end you have more expensive flats without any value being added.
In fact if you compare the new flats with the old, they are smaller & of poorer quality.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pasir panjang expansion is meant to replace tanjong pagar which will be closed down soon. Tuas terminal is replacement for keppel and brani terminal. This enable them to free up prime land from tanjong pagar to brani for office, shopping, properties, theme park etc.

Same sentiments. Keppel area is prime area, with vivo shopping mall, and facing sentosa.
Building offices and apartments, able to let pap milk more money.
Even T4 built, nothing surprise.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Same sentiments. Keppel area is prime area, with vivo shopping mall, and facing sentosa.
Building offices and apartments, able to let pap milk more money.
Even T4 built, nothing surprise.

They can tear down a fully functional sheares bridge.....put in most expensive tunnel just to free up prime land for some foreigners condos. Nothing surprises anymore as vile pappies greed know no bounds

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if china can build the great wall and three gorges dam and the world's longest bridge, then the kra canal should be a piece of cake. all they need is consistent funding with less corruption.

the scariest thing would be how fast China would be able to do it,China is now a superpower of mega construction projects.they might even be able to complete the Kra canal in under six months from the get go.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They can tear down a fully functional sheares bridge.....put in most expensive tunnel just to free up prime land for some foreigners condos. Nothing surprises anymore as vile pappies greed know no bounds

This is the same group of clowns who tore down the old iconic National library to build a road. There were some groups who suggested alternatives that would have saved the old library but they were simply ignored.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

In terms of wealth, can any Political Family in Asia beat the Familee?