• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why White paper? Why can't PAP just import foreigners quietly as it did since 2006?

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are these questions that still baffle me:
(1) Why can't PAP just mass import foreigners quietly as it did since the 2006 election?
(2) Why must PAP "pass" the White Paper in Parliament (as stir so much resentment) now?
(3) Was it the mass import from 2006 to 2011 "illegal" or "irregular" because it did not pass through Parliament?
(4) Was the passing of the White Paper a prerequisite to something in the PAP's bigger plan?

Anyone has any idea?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why White paper? Why can't PAP just import foreigners quietly as it did since 200

(1) Why can't PAP just mass import foreigners quietly as it did since the 2006 election?
(2) Why must PAP "pass" the White Paper in Parliament (as stir so much resentment) now?
(3) Was it the mass import from 2006 to 2011 "illegal" or "irregular" because it did not pass through Parliament?
(4) Was the passing of the White Paper a prerequisite to something in the PAP's bigger plan?

Anyone has any idea?

Kind of hard to slip in another 1 or 2 mil + people. People will be wondering how come so super crowded. Imagine Raffles Town Club situation but magnified 10X!!

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why White paper? Why can't PAP just import foreigners quietly as it did since 200

PAP could always say that they have "slowed down" the admission of foreigners (when in fact they did not).

PAP holds the data, they can always deny and no one can verify that. Isn't it?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anyone has any idea?

PAP want foreigners to know PAP is on their side...........hope to convince more to be ''New Citizens'' and also to make sure current ''New Citizens'' will vote for PAP..........since opposition parties are portrayed as anti-foreigners............that's why WP keep saying they're not anti-foreigners to try to get some current ''New Citizens'' to vote for them..........

2nd reason is LHL is throwing a tantrum after by-election so he let people know about White Paper sooner rather than later..............he must have had opposition within PAP regarding mass influx of foreigners and want to stamp his authority............

the Lees and their antics................they're an open book to me.............

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore is suppose to be a democracy

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Could be due to one, a combination, or all the reasons below.

1. PAP wants to stick it to Sporeans, after their loses during GE2011 and BE 2013. Its like nabei you sinkies, lim pei show you all who owns this country.
2. PAP wants to stick it to WP and Sporeans. Its like, so what if more opposition, lim pei can still do whatever lim pei wants. You all lan lan.
3. PAP wants to tell China, India, Philippines that the govt is on their side, regardless of what idiot sinkies have been saying on the internet.
4. PAP is a blur and clueless entity. They still think they are elites and possess the biggest balls and brains in the land. Now and then, must show they have the "biggest" lancheow. :biggrin:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

PAP could always say that they have "slowed down" the admission of foreigners (when in fact they did not).

PAP holds the data, they can always deny and no one can verify that. Isn't it?

Who believed they had honored their words?

You?

Another daft Sinke added to my list!

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

Resentment does not lead to people voting against the PAP. A loss of livelihood does. How many have lost their livelihoods due to the foreigner inflow? PAP has done its calculations. It has decided that the risk is minimal.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Resentment does not lead to people voting against the PAP. A loss of livelihood does. How many have lost their livelihoods due to the foreigner inflow? PAP has done its calculations. It has decided that the risk is minimal.

With this argument, presumably there is a lot of unemployment in Hougang, Aljunied and Punggol East?

Last edited:

dumbo

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

their porlumars indirectly sabo them, giving them positive feedbacks that majority of the sinkies welcome more foreigners

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well put. I think Singaporeans have belatedly looked beyond the their immediate benefit when casting a vote. We're beginning to see that we've paid a big price for letting the PAPzis do whatever they want. Let's hope we remember this in 2016.

With this argument, presumably there is a lot of unemployment in Hougang, Aljunied and Punggol East?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It is the PAP's way of telling sinkees that they don't matter. The PAP will do as it pleases and an additional Opposition MP won't make a difference.

The people's response should be to toss them out in 2016.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is the PAP's way of telling sinkees that they don't matter. The PAP will do as it pleases and an additional Opposition MP won't make a difference.

Agree completely. One can even throw in the Hong Lim protest, which some are investing significance but I see none. One of these days a few individuals will be made an example of and everyone will simply crawl back under the rock from whence they came.

The people's response should be to toss them out in 2016.

Agree again. But it will unlikely happen. PAP can be mean and cruel but it is not stupid. It has done its calculations and know the S'porean character only too well.

The force of selfishness is as inevitable and as calculable as the force of gravitation. - Hailliard

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You could well be right, but I do recall that the legal action threatened by LHL against Alex Au struck fear in very few people. Ditto Shanmugam's and FMH's actions.

You could also be right about PAP's adroit calculations, but just as GMS had been wrong about LTK's 'weaknesses', you had been mistaken about the PAPzi's strengths.

Agree completely. One can even throw in the Hong Lim protest, which some are investing significance but I see none. One of these days a few individuals will be made an example of and everyone will simply crawl back under the rock from whence they came.

Agree again. But it will unlikely happen. PAP can be mean and cruel but it is not stupid. It has done its calculations and know the S'porean character only too well.

The force of selfishness is as inevitable and as calculable as the force of gravitation. - Hailliard

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal

One key reason is the Master Plan which is due this year. It is no longer possible to "quietly" importing significantly more people without major infrastructure and development plans with massive transportation links and rezoning of land usage.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anyone has any idea?

MRT so crowded compare to few yrs ago is very obvious sign and start to break down very frequent due to over work and over load.
its crowded everywhere, pinoy and mama everywhere. so obvious also. how to hide?
white paper actually is a big wayang to show people that we need more and more foreigners to support the growth, Singaporeans not having enough babies and aging population.
gov should put in their effort to increase more middle class in sg to sustain the growth and having babies. gov can make everything so expensive but unable to create more middle class and help Singaporeans increase their incomes shows that they are incompetent.
aging population this part i find it funny. sg gov not like those western welfare states, gov will support the old people. aging and retired liao not enough money also collect cans and cardboard to survive or go to court to sue the children if the children dont want to support them. what the fuck they worry about aging population??? more foreigners to support old people? when i reach 62 beside the cpf they owe me, gov or foreigners give us more money?
this fucking white paper is bloody big hoax put up by our pap using their academic scholars with all the data and big big words to confuse and convince Singaporeans that we need more foreigners for the aging population. the only people need foreigners is pap, not us. first to dilute the oppositions supporters vote. second to drive up cost of living so they can pocket more.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

One key reason is the Master Plan which is due this year. It is no longer possible to "quietly" importing significantly more people without major infrastructure and development plans with massive transportation links and rezoning of land usage.

Yes, one of the reasons may be as simple as that. It is a reason based on what is known and what will soon happen; i.e., it is a fact-based reason. It is not a reason based on what each of us would like or wish to see, which is of irrelevance.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They did in 2012 after GE2011. It is harder to get an S-pass or Employment pass and from this year, harder to bring their families. But even without new imports, the existing imports will multiply and because they tend to be younger in age, they should be able replace themselves well enough.

The purpose of the White Paper is not to seek concurrence for a population target. The amendment that says 6.9m is not a target says as much. More important in the White Paper is 45-55 ratio between foreigners and locals which they seemed to have managed to keep intact. I think the PAP has managed to pull a fast one.

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyone has any idea?

(1) old man going to meet his maker soon. have to start earning brownie points
(2) old pap strategy. when things are at a low, eg BE failure etc. shoot out all the bad news and unpopular policies, after that flood with good news and goodies just in time for next election
(3) everything pap do is legal one. if politicians in danger of corruption, just make it legal and increase their pay. no need to do anything illegal
(4) it surely is a prerequisite of more pap passing motion onto sinkies.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

They did in 2012 after GE2011. It is harder to get an S-pass or Employment pass and from this year, harder to bring their families. But even without new imports, the existing imports will multiply and because they tend to be younger in age, they should be able replace themselves well enough.

The purpose of the White Paper is not to seek concurrence for a population target. The amendment that says 6.9m is not a target says as much. More important in the White Paper is 45-55 ratio between foreigners and locals which they seemed to have managed to keep intact. I think the PAP has managed to pull a fast one.
I don't see that PAP pulled a fast one as there is simply no need for them to seek parliament approval for local vs foreigner ratio.

I think LHL after GE 2011 deduced that the anger towards PAP was largely due to insufficient infrastructure to cater to sudden surge in foreigner inflow. LHL and his merrymen did not think that majority of locals are against even larger foreigner inflow. Afterall majority of sinkies are home owners and they should be happy about ever rising property prices.

Hence post GE 2011 LHL directed his staff to craft a population white paper that will give the impression of forward thinking about population growth and infrastructure, without much thought about the changing perception on foreigners. To be fair, the perception towards foreigners changed significantly from 2007 to 2012. Before 2008, only a minority of people are adverse to foreigners competing for jobs. From 2007 onwards, the surge of foreigners came year after year, and gradually a bigger and bigger portion of locals personally saw and felt the negative effect of foreigners competing in local job market. PAP was a slow boiling frog and did not react to this gradual change in perception, leading to the embarassment of population white paper.