• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why voting for Tan Kin Lian is the right choice

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
I want to change my Nick and be a new member in Sammyboy Forum and begin supporting TKL instead of posting "smears." When TKL wins the elections, as a supporter I will be invited to the Istana and rub shoulders with the new President. Who knows I might even get a 5 figure salary working for him.

Look at so many new members here with 1 or 2 posts who are TKL IBs. These people will be laughing at all those "fools" in Sammyboy whilst they are enjoying 10 course dinners and free flowing drinks at the Istana at taxpayers' expense. Being buddy buddy with the President and having his ear can bring benefits to supporters.

Will any member here do the same as me?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:"

If by changing Nick and start praising TKL I too will get this response and perhaps lim kopi with our future EP:biggrin:

See his response to a supporter:

"Re: Tan Kin Lian - Robin Hood Complex

Dear tanwahtiu
Thank you for speaking on my behalf although I do not know you personally. Do send an email to [email protected] and we can have a chat."

No thanks, i will puke kopi were i to sit together with TKL, GMS and their no 1 buddy Ramseth/Vincent Sear :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
If by changing Nick and start praising TKL I too will get this response and perhaps lim kopi with our future EP:biggrin:

That's his "competitive advantage". The willingness to get close to people.

And there are some who gladly lap it up. Of course, it's a double edged sword too. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
No thanks, i will puke kopi were i to sit together with TKL, GMS and their no 1 buddy Ramseth/Vincent Sear :biggrin:

At least GMS walks the talk and had the decency to throw his weight behind TKL in this forum.
Sometimes, I really wonder about the things he says and does but hats off to him for walking the talk and being open and transparent, which he is always asking the pap to be.

Now, as for Ramseth, still monitoring ............................. :o

S

suicidalpap

Despite the smears, TKL still has lots of supporters From the Think Happiness Blog

What "Tan Kin Lian For President" means
At the outset, I should disclose that I have a personal nexus to this subject and it is something I feel very strongly about. You should read what follows below taking this fact into account. I am going to be unusually subjective.

Some present and former employees of NTUC Income will probably have shivers down their spine if they hear their former boss wants to be the next President of Singapore.

If Tan Kin Lian runs without the support of his former employer, these employees will in all likelihood volunteer to help the candidates opposing him.

There are as many others, who will firmly stand by him, help his campaign and ensure he gets a good chance at being elected.
That is the kind of loyalty and reaction Tan Kin Lian attracts as a leader.

The first time I heard from Tan Kin Lian was in early 2003. I was about to take my final exams in law school in England. He asked, “Would you like to come back and work for me?”

I got the job without attending a single face-to-face interview. That too during a financial crisis when an employer would be spoilt for choice in recruiting others.

I asked Tan Kin Lian about this many years later. He said he had read my published materials and thought that I could make a constructive contribution. If I hadn’t, he said, his general counsel would have fired me.

This is not the first time I am writing about Tan Kin Lian. See here and here.

Tan Kin Lian is no politician. He is a simple man, with a fiercely independent streak. He says it like it is. He has an acute sense of what is right or wrong, and often does what he feels is right. He is decisive, prepared to take chances and ever ready to learn from the mistakes he makes. He is candid about his strengths because of his conscious preference to focus on what is positive.

When he wanted to reduce the cost of motor insurance, he stood up against the motor workshops. At industry meetings, he rattled other insurers with his unbendable resolve. Some motor workshop operators ended up in jail. Cases also went all the way up to the Court of Appeal to secure precedents that would bind judges in the lower courts.

As former corporate counsel of NTUC Income, I know Tan Kin Lian is a passionate advocate of the rule of law.I once met a District Judge at an event for the legal fraternity. She asked most accusingly, “Why does NTUC Income send so many cases to court? Why can’t you all just settle the matters? Why are you always appealing decisions?”

I replied, “Firstly, we want a fair outcome for all parties involved in the matter. Secondly, ma’am, you should be grateful we send so many cases. It means the courts are kept busy and we create jobs for people like you.”

Not surprisingly, she found my answer unimpressive. She is still actively hearing motor insurance cases in the Subordinate Courts. When I became a trial lawyer some years later, I had the good fortune to appear before her weekly. I am not sure if she felt likewise.

In the meantime, Tan Kin Lian moved on to other causes. He single-handedly took on financial institutions in Singapore, when many lawyers were reluctant to take on these companies for fear of never being instructed in cases from such organisations. He gave relevance to the Speakers’ Corner by organising the largest gathering of protestors in the history of that public space. He pressured our financial regulators to remarkably change the retail space for investment products in a manner that protected consumers.
These are the stories that people know of Tan Kin Lian. There are many other untold stories of him.
Tan Kin Lian stood behind Ong Teng Cheong when the hegemonic force of the ruling party took on the former President. He led various charitable initiatives of the late President. After Ong’s death, he was among those determined to preserve Ong’s legacy.He supported competition among the English mainstream media in Singapore, and I learnt that he provided critical advertising revenue to sustain Today in its early days.

He employed a relative of the author of the controversial book, "Singapore the Ultimate Island (Lee Kuan Yew’s Untold Story)", during a period when others distanced themselves from such links.

He made a former lawyer at Tang Liang Hong’s firm his general counsel. That lawyer still remains general counsel of the NTUC cooperative and has given over a decade of dedicated, commendable public service to the labour movement – notwithstanding his past association, and that his valuable experience would have made got him a lot more wealth in another financial institution.

There was once Tan Kin Lian came under severe pressure from his bosses to fire me. He was told that I was funding opposition parties and supporting their causes, while being an employee of the NTUC cooperative. He did not believe these allegations, and carried out his own inquiry. It turned out I was helping my constituency's Member of Parliament from the ruling party!

His critics also have their untold stories.

Two very good friends, who are journalists, rather adorably call him a "megalomaniac" because of the shameless way he made himself the face of his organisation. For a similar reason, another friend does an awesome mimic of Tan Kin Lian.

I never liked they way Tan Kin Lian used to surround himself with his “yes” comrades. There were times I disagreed with his views. He once told an office gathering that his legal counsel could be relied on to disagree with him!

Many years ago, I was told someone created numerous copies of a fake obituary of him and flung them from a building roof-top. At one point, some of his colleagues were so unhappy with his leadership that they wrote letters of complaint to parliamentary representatives voicing their lack of confidence in him.

I am not sure if Tan Kin Lian can be the unifying President that at least one other Presidential candidate thinks Singapore needs. Given his imperfect history, he will probably an imperfect President be.

I know, however, he will make a difference to the office of President, if eventually selected and elected. In a Parliament dominated by one party, Tan Kin Lian can be depended upon to leave his unique imprint on our constitutional system.

"Tan Kin Lian for President” represents the cry of numerous Singaporeans wanting to exercise their power to vote for their next President. “Tan Kin Lian for President” is also a prayer for a President perceived as independent.

I hope, in the inimitable manner that has become the hallmark of Tan Kin Lian, he will take a chance, put the selection process of the presidency to the test and give others the choice to consider electing him as a future President.

Whether or not he is elected, at the very least, he owes this to the many supporters calling for him to stand up and be counted.

Happiness

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vote Tan Kin Lian!
Vote for the one they are trying to keep out!
Lets thumb our noses at them and show them the finger!

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not sure if the Think Happiness writer realizes that the only flaw he pointed out about TKL, that he surrounds himself with yes man, does more damage than repairs all the good things he cited TKL to have done.

bearpaws

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the rate this going, they are capable of anything it. The EP is really biting them in the arse. They are banging on the 60% to save their arse.

its not gonna be 60.1%. in 1993 when OTC stood for election, the PAP's share of the popular vote was around 61-65%. He took only 56% or so.
this time, if history is anything to go by, its gonna be a close fight.
of course, in any 3 corner fight, Tt will surely win

bearpaws

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKC was a brilliant man that could read the politics on the ground. How do you think his fortune stayed intact while many of the other tycoons got pushed out. Pretty sure he hedged bets and had close contacts with politicians from all parties. Furthermore the creation of Lee Foundation and the years of charity put them in untouchable column.

How many poor scholars got a future because of Lee Foundation? His was the model of being part of society and contributing back to society model that is pop in the West.

he was a wise man. contrast that with the Tiger of Haw Par. Blaze of Glory, now no more.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
errr...hello...where were these supposed "many supporters" during his bo liao 100K petition to be PE??...again where r they now that TKL say s his funding support is goign slow???...
[I hope, in the inimitable manner that has become the hallmark of Tan Kin Lian, he will take a chance, put the selection process of the presidency to the test and give others the choice to consider electing him as a future President.

Whether or not he is elected, at the very least, he owes this to the many supporters calling for him to stand up and be counted.Happiness

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will vote for the one whom I think is likely to give of himself till it hurts - as they say in charity.

TT is a corporation man, a true capitalist who will probably not give anything except be a very good guard dog.

TKL doesnt sound like he will be giving, unless he gets something first. Remember him saying - give me 100,000 signatures and I'll stand for EP; help me with campaign funds before I can serve you? Pretty much like the general on the war front who before charging ahead, turns around to ask, you sure you all will follow me?

TCB is my choice. He gave of himself when he himself was not rich or wealthy and provided free medical service and rebelled against his party line to speak up for his constituents and speaks his mind when he did not agree ( at great jeopardy to his political career).

This is the damage that was done over the last 25 years when the press came under state control. Now the establishment and the State press have realised that they are stuck. It is already a joke that all 3 candidates are PAP chaps. One spoke his mind but within the PAP. One has been speaking as the PAP while the 3rd kept quiet but after making his fortune from the PAP is now a freedom fighter. The first two did not need PAP money. The inability to figure out which is which is a major issue with the voters.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure if the the writer is intentionally trying to throw bad light on Tan Kin Lian but he has.

1) There is a reason why job interviews are formal and done in a transparent manner. Giving someone a job without the formalities and a job that does not even report to him makes a fool of the Head Legal Council.

2) A district judge pleased that's many cases generated NTUC gives her job tenure! Are you kidding me?

3) People want him sacked for helping the opposition but the author was working with an PAP MP. Sounds like a sandiwara programme. Also indicates the author links with the PAP.

Despite the smears, TKL still has lots of supporters From the Think Happiness Blog

The first time I heard from Tan Kin Lian was in early 2003. I was about to take my final exams in law school in England. He asked, “Would you like to come back and work for me?”

I got the job without attending a single face-to-face interview. That too during a financial crisis when an employer would be spoilt for choice in recruiting others.

As former corporate counsel of NTUC Income, I know Tan Kin Lian is a passionate advocate of the rule of law.I once met a District Judge at an event for the legal fraternity. She asked most accusingly, “Why does NTUC Income send so many cases to court? Why can’t you all just settle the matters? Why are you always appealing decisions?”

I replied, “Firstly, we want a fair outcome for all parties involved in the matter. Secondly, ma’am, you should be grateful we send so many cases. It means the courts are kept busy and we create jobs for people like you.”

Not surprisingly, she found my answer unimpressive. She is still actively hearing motor insurance cases in the Subordinate Courts. When I became a trial lawyer some years later, I had the good fortune to appear before her weekly. I am not sure if she felt likewise.

These are the stories that people know of Tan Kin Lian. There are many other untold stories of him.

He employed a relative of the author of the controversial book, "Singapore the Ultimate Island (Lee Kuan Yew’s Untold Story)", during a period when others distanced themselves from such links.

He made a former lawyer at Tang Liang Hong’s firm his general counsel. That lawyer still remains general counsel of the NTUC cooperative and has given over a decade of dedicated, commendable public service to the labour movement – notwithstanding his past association, and that his valuable experience would have made got him a lot more wealth in another financial institution.

There was once Tan Kin Lian came under severe pressure from his bosses to fire me. He was told that I was funding opposition parties and supporting their causes, while being an employee of the NTUC cooperative. He did not believe these allegations, and carried out his own inquiry. It turned out I was helping my constituency's Member of Parliament from the ruling party!

Two very good friends, who are journalists, rather adorably call him a "megalomaniac" because of the shameless way he made himself the face of his organisation. For a similar reason, another friend does an awesome mimic of Tan Kin Lian.

I never liked they way Tan Kin Lian used to surround himself with his “yes” comrades. There were times I disagreed with his views. He once told an office gathering that his legal counsel could be relied on to disagree with him!

Many years ago, I was told someone created numerous copies of a fake obituary of him and flung them from a building roof-top. At one point, some of his colleagues were so unhappy with his leadership that they wrote letters of complaint to parliamentary representatives voicing their lack of confidence in him.

I am not sure if Tan Kin Lian can be the unifying President that at least one other Presidential candidate thinks Singapore needs. Given his imperfect history, he will probably an imperfect President be.

I know, however, he will make a difference to the office of President, if eventually selected and elected. In a Parliament dominated by one party, Tan Kin Lian can be depended upon to leave his unique imprint on our constitutional system.

"Tan Kin Lian for President” represents the cry of numerous Singaporeans wanting to exercise their power to vote for their next President. “Tan Kin Lian for President” is also a prayer for a President perceived as independent.

I hope, in the inimitable manner that has become the hallmark of Tan Kin Lian, he will take a chance, put the selection process of the presidency to the test and give others the choice to consider electing him as a future President.

Whether or not he is elected, at the very least, he owes this to the many supporters calling for him to stand up and be counted.

Happiness

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
4 possible scenarios :

1. No contest
2. 3 corner
3. 2 corner - TT, TCB
4. 2 corner - TT, TKL

My take is scenario 1 or 4. Scenario 2 is too risky as TKL can pull out at the last minute. Scenario 3 is an obvious no no.

Last edited: