• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why the Singapore GRC system of elections ought be forsaken as an abandoned relic of

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the Singapore GRC system of elections ought be forsaken as an abandoned relic of time. (Response essay)
cancer81 (16Apr2013) said:
Re thread: Before we introduce the FT MP, how about reviewing the (duplicitous) GRC system of elections?
this is a thread abt GRC and it's redundancy...
well then do not use such a stupid (yes I used that word) title...
you want to attract views with use of "FT"??
and finally why are we FLOGGING this DEAD HORSE??
remove GRCs? OK sure why not? Would it ensure that the PAP will never govern again? :s22:
Hi Cancer,
(Yeah, I think overly self depreciating for some one to name themselves that)
"Stupid" is okay just as Law and Foreign Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said "idiots" is fine ['Govt won’t sue you if you say it is made up of idiots'], guess U must specify what U are referring to and why.

Guess the reason why 'FT' was mentioned in the First post was my shock and concern upon reading 'Can PRs be judges?'[STforum,15Apr2013] because checking out 'District Court': "The District Court can pass any of the following sentences: Imprisonment.. 7 years; Fine.. $10,000;...12 strokes of the cane,(.. combination);... Reformative training.... where the law expressly provides for it,..jurisdiction to.. impose sentences which exceeds the above limits,.. Companies Act(Cap 50),.. Drugs Act(Cap 185),.. Corruption Act(Cap 241) and Securities Industry Act(Cap 289)." reveals that such foreign talents do indeed have wide ranging powers to lord over most Singaporeans even on Singapore soil.

Given the opening of such jobs in the judiciary to foreigners and PRs, I was wondering if there were really no qualified Singaporeans or whether the PAP govt was just choosing foreign talents around the world just to advance their own political objectives.

The issue of the GRC system of elections favoring the mob rule of larger political parties however has been an on going concern because whilst the govt bureaucracy (CCS) continually persecutes others for uncompetitive business activity, it hesitates to admit that the GRC system of elections is unnecessary, betrays its original intention (minority rep.) as well as favours the mob rule of larger political parties (benefit of winning elections by mass orgy participation yet minus the cost of by-election should a fallout consequent to such orgy occur (the Parliamentary Elections Act, Section 24 [source] that states in (2A) "In respect of any group representation constituency, no writ shall be issued under subsection (1) for an election to fill any vacancy unless all the Members for that constituency have vacated their seats in Parliament". )- i.e.: almost full exemption from any/ all by-election)- suits the large WP well but the PAP proportionally much better- independent political candidates and small parties are the real losers in GRC based elections.

The former was thus my initial concern, aggravated by an inherently corrupt election system (GRC system of elections).

Jarlaxle [post link], unfortunately, amde the following understandable comment: "wah bro, ur WOT is damn messy with all the bold and highlight, cannot read at all sia. can hv exe summary?", thus my attempt to clarify matters wrt to the GRC issue only since I then identified that the FT issue was really a consequence of the Singaporean GRC related political immaturity problem- thus the authorship of: 'A critique of the GRC system of elections in Singapore and a better solution forward'[HWZ, 16Apr2013, thread: 'Before we introduce the FT MP, how about reviewing the (duplicitous) GRC...'], sans the issue of FT in the judiciary and elsewhere.

As thus explained, the mention of 'FT' in the heading was by no means a dishonorable attempt at seeking attention but born of a genuine national concern.
cancer81 said:
and finally why are we FLOGGING this DEAD HORSE??
remove GRCs? OK sure why not? Would it ensure that the PAP will never govern again? :s22:
As mentioned in 'A critique of the GRC system of elections in Singapore and a better solution forward' my opinion stands that but for the GRC system since inception (1988) till today, Singapore would have developed a much more vibrant political scene that had allowed a wider spectrum of minority voices to be heard (through homogenous SMC elections viz the NC(R)MP scheme replacing the GRC scheme), Singaporeans would have now become more politically savvy ('evolved') and well competent to take up mentally challenging asst director positions in NTUC as well as high Judicial post such as that of a district judge (ST forum:'Can PRs be judges?').

The problem of redundant/ corrupted GRC election schemes can thus in no way be called a "DEAD HORSE".

"remove GRCs? OK sure why not? Would it ensure that the PAP will never govern again?"

Dear Cancer, please rest assured that I have no interest nor intention to "ensure that the PAP will never govern again?", all that is intended on my part as a moral, thinking, caring and involved citizen is to see that minority voices are genuinely heard (racial, religious, economic, political or otherwise) and that elections are conducted in a free and fair manner, not favoring any party, large or small, incumbent or otherwise, with a reasonable and just exception to guarantee minority representation (NC(R)MP scheme) again without favor to any particular political establishment.

The GRC system of elections is a relic of MR Lee Kuan Yew's iron fist rule that hasn't stood the test of time. It weakens the PAP in as much as it weakens Singapore (Coat tail PAP MPs). For the sake of continued happiness, prosperity and progress (not forgetting peace and harmony) of our nation. May we unite, pledging ourselves as one united people, to return Parliament to its pre 1988 SMC make-up/ form- sans the ghost of the PAP-GRC (monster) scheme- but of course.
------------------------------------
Footnotes:
- The NC(R)MP scheme is defined and explained in 'A critique of the GRC system of elections in Singapore and a better solution forward'[HWZ, 16Apr2013, thread: 'Before we introduce the FT MP, how about reviewing the (duplicitous) GRC...'],

[Pict]:The people whom CCS(Competition Commission Singapore) have warned/ charged to date[Source: CCS website]
CCS+Singapore+in+the+news.JPG