• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why SG Indians will never integrate with Indian FTrash

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Why SG Indians will never integrate with</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt_89_ <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Jul-20 8:39 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(1 of 14) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>54307.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD id=msgtxt_1 class=msgtxt>Why S’porean Indians will never integrate with imported Indians

PostDateIcon.png
July 21st, 2011 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions |
PostEditIcon.png
Edit

I am in my late 60s now. I believe I know India more than most Indians from India. Because I had traveled to almost every nooks of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and etc in the course of my work in the last 40 years. In fact, I had studied in India for a couple of years – something unusual for a local Indian. And here are my observations.
Some times after the visit of China’s strongman Deng to Singapore, Lee started the sinicization of Singapore, which included the Speak Mandarin campaign, pinyin names and etc. The reality is the groundwork for flooding Singapore with PRCs is being deceitfully laid. I reckon Devan Nair got wind of this which resulted in a clash between LKY and him. Sure, Devan drank a lot but Eddie Barker, Singapore’s first law minister, drank like fish too.
The post-Devan era was hell for local Indians. The marginalization and persecution of local Indians was so great that many educated local Indians fled Singapore. The severity was as much as for each local Chinese who quit Singapore, there were 3 local Indians. It then became impossible to find locally educated Indian grooms for our locally educated Indian brides. Hence, our immigration policy had to be changed to allow Indians from India for marriage… these Indians from India, whether male or female, integrated well into our society simply because the gist is that if you are good enough to marry my daughter, you are good enough for Singapore.
Now, let’s look at the new import of Indians from India. They came simply because the number of PRC imports had to be balanced. Hence, PAP started tweaking our demography. While PAP made a blunder in assuming that the PRC and local Chinese would blend well because of Mandarin as a common language and pinyin names, the import of Indians from India is premeditated and planned.
Since PAP knows rather well, in their diplomatic and political dealings with India, that it’s the Northern Indians in India who call the shots and also that almost all entrepreneurs and big
businesses in India are Northerners, PAP focuses their efforts in the North.
However, the situation in India has changed over the past 10 years because now, no single political party can rule India and therefore, South Indian based political parties are now the kingmakers in the coalition of ruling political parties. Also, the old trading system has given way to the new knowledge-based industries which South India leads in businesses now. PAP’s plans are thus, antiquated.
So, PAP having relied on its antiquated social engineering, made exactly the same blunder with Indians from India as it did with PRC. PAP promoted North Indians to locals through its media propaganda machinery. Remember the channel 5 serial drama “Acha” – an India Indian marrying a local Chinese girl? A subtle indoctrination…
PAP then opened the floodgates for North Indian graduates. And all the wrong people came. PAP people like George Yeo, our ex-foreign minister, professed to know about India and Indians when it is a lot more complex than they can understand. Why?
Let me explain.
In the few thousand years of Indian history, the South has been known for its brain while the North for its brawn. Even in ancient India, Chânakya (Sanskrit: चाणक्य Câṇakya) (c. 370–283 BCE) was an adviser to the first Maurya Emperor Chandragupta (c. 340–293 BCE), and generally was considered to be the architect of the Emperor’s rise to power. Chanakya was a South Indian. Even today, almost all IT industries, which the world recognizes India for, are in the South.
But most importantly, the Indianization of SEA thousands of years ago was entirely carried out by South Indians. Even Daruma (Bodhidharma), patriarch of Zen Buddhism in China and Japan, was a Tamil. Such is the connect between South India and SEA/Far East. Whereas for North India, historically and culturally, has always been in contact with the West and Middle East. Their eating habits, dressing, along with many other cultural traits, run similar.
Now, to get to the bottom of the matter as to why local Indians would never integrate with Indians from India, firstly, there is no common ground of shared poverty. This is unlike almost all early Singapore immigrants, whether Chinese or Indians, who came about precisely because of shared poverty.
Such integration is impossible since it’s like trying to club chickens and ducks together though both come under a single category of fowl. In short, try getting condo dwellers and three room HDB dwellers to integrate. Unless they share the same poverty, hardship or endeavor, like a stint in NS or schooling together, it’s hard for both local Indians and imported Indians to integrate.
Hence PAP’s integration policy is fundamentally flawed and integration would never happen. What PAP should avoid doing is to play GOD through social engineering. Even in India itself, the South and North are never integrated despite having a shared history of 5000 years. Perhaps LKY thinks he is a greater GOD than Brahma, Vishnu or Siva.
(NOTE: Even Indian GODs are generally divided between North and South. Lord Siva is the supreme GOD of South India whereas Vishnu is the supreme GOD of North India – Saivism vs Vaishnavism. Many wars in ancient India were fought along this line.)
A LOCAL INDIAN
* This comment was first posted on the thread “Help ‘integrate’ new citizens from India – PM Lee” ([URL]http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/07/18/help-integrate-new-citizens-from-india-pm-lee/[/URL]).

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The failed foreign integration has little to do with Cultural and background difference or financial difference. Just look back at the number of Hongkies and Taiwanese coming here in the 80s and 90s. Migration from China and India have never stopped, it just wasn't high enough to be noticeable. Not to mention Matland migration have never stopped and our constant raiding of Matland top Chinese talent have never fail to piss the hell out of Matland government

PAP fail 1)Thought the plans that worked in small numbers will work just as well if they scale it up
After earlier success at Integrating the earlier migrants into our society, increasing the rate of migration = no difference. They couldn't have been more wrong. Previous when the demographic change was about 5%, no one really notice the difference. 1 or 2 new Chinaman/Hongkie or to a lesser extent Matland Chinese makes no difference. We couldn't tell there was any change to begin with. When less then 1 in 10 of your neighbor is FT, no one notice them

PAP fail 2) Under estimating the xenophobic nature of our society.
When the migration rate went from 5% to 20%, that's a huge difference. Everyone now can see "new citizens" around. Again back to the top. We've never stopped getting new citizens so the PAP man naturally thought we were open to them. They didn't think twice about opening the gates to Foreigners. The fact of the matter is, we were never open to the idea of FTs. The earlier integration was success coz it came in such small numbers that we never noticed. By the time we see anything, the "new citizens" have already integrated into our society. Now with such high numbers suddenly coming in, it's impossible not to see them

It has little to do with cultural difference, the foreigners just came in so high numbers that there was not enough time to integrate them naturally

Base on my experience with India, you don't need to spend years there to know them, spend 2 weeks there and U'll learn all U need to know

Last edited:

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
...Under estimating the xenophobic nature of our society.

It has little to do with cultural difference, the foreigners just came in so high numbers that there was not enough time to integrate them naturally

Char lAtan, once in a blue moon, you actually write something sensible, so I will spare you the :oIo: this time.

It is not about xenophobia or integration at all. What culture do Sinkies have? At the end of the day, it is about too big an increase in the number of people fighting for the same pool of resources, not to mention that the pie has been shrinking as well. If my earning prowess is in the top ten percent of the population, you will not be hearing any complaints from me other than the occasional grouses of overcrowding at public places. For the rest of the population, it is becoming a matter of survival. Rightly so, the people have a legitimate grievance on why should they vote in a government that makes life harder for them, much less pay their obscene salaries. It is debatable whether life will be easier without the mass influx of foreigners but ultimately, Sinkandpoor is constrained by its size and lack of resources and the PAP have absolutely no idea how to sustain the growth of the economy without the mass importation of foreigners. It is also important to note that growing the economy solely through dependence on importing foreigners will lead to uneven distribution of the benefits unless those getting the lion's share are altruistic enough to share them with others, which is extremely unlikely given PAP's track record. For example, would a Sinkie get unemployment benefits from the government despite the government collecting huge amounts of levies and taxes from the presence of foreigners?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the Indians back in India cannot even integrate or unite among themselves. How do you expect them to do so when in Singapore?

Read how our wise ex-MM sabo the Indians at the South Asia diaspora convention:

Several participants at the convention also took the opportunity to tap Mr Lee's views on the importance of governance and meritocracy for the success of a country. One common question raised during the dialogue was how Mr Lee would have governed India, if the country was handed to him.

Mr Lee replied: "First, what sort of Indian would I be? A northern Indian? A southern Indian? That identifies you with the interest of a particular group.

"Or a Bombay Indian, which is the most cosmopolitan of all. But it may well be that a Bombay Indian doesn't represent Indians at all, so it's a problem India has to face.

"It is important whoever leads India should find acceptance with the widest group of Indians possible. But I think it is very difficult for any Indian leader to find more than 40 per cent of Indians believing he represents them."

Mr Lee also noted that Indians speak nearly 300 different languages, but in China, 90 per cent of the people speak the same language and that makes it a much easier country to lead than India.

Last edited: