• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Orchard Road flooded

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now there is new finding,CCB,blame it on the litterbugs then now twist and say due to design of canal. :oIo:KNN, FUCK UP Government agency!

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_555341.html

A NEW twist has emerged in the mystery of why Orchard Road flooded on June 16.

It wasn't just the debris in the canal that did it. The design and capacity of Stamford Canal has been found to be at issue too.

The Government has thus made a review of the Stamford Canal its top priority to prevent a recurrence of the floods that hit Orchard Road twice in the last month.

Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim revealed this in Parliament on Monday while addressing the concerns of MPs about the recent spate of flash floods around the island.

On June 16, a major flood submerged central parts of Singapore, including Orchard Road, Bukit Timah Road and Little India, under knee-high water. This was followed by a second round of floods that struck Bukit Timah Road, Balestier Road and Thomson Road, and felled 25 trees on June 25. Last Saturday, heavy downpour again flooded many areas in Singapore.

In Parliament on Monday, Dr Yaacob explained the root cause of the June 15 Orchard Road flood which caused damage estimated at millions of dollars.

Here are excerpts of his response to the House:

'On June 16, 100 mm of rain fell in two hours over the Stamford Canal catchment area. Orchard Road - between Cuscaden Road and Cairnhill - was the worst-hit, with a flood depth of 300 mm. The floods subsided within an hour.

'PUB has completed the investigation of the flood incident at Orchard Road.

'The investigation found that the flood was caused by an intense storm that moved quickly along the Stamford Canal catchment from upstream to downstream in two bursts, 30 minutes apart.

'At 9.40 am, the first intense burst of rainfell over the upstream portion of the Stamford Canal catchment.

'The runoff from this initial rainfall flowed down the canal. When it reached the middle section of the can (from Cuscaden Road to Grange Road0, it coincided with the funoff from the second burts of rain which fell over the entire catchment at 10.10 am.

'This generated a combined storm flow that caused the water level to rise rapidly and overlow on Orchard Road. The situation was worsened by debris carried into the canal by the first first of rain.'

Dr Yaacob said his ministry agreed with the findings of PUB's investigation and was 'satisfied that the response by PUB and the other agencies was consistent with the standing procedures.'

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Dr Yaacob said his ministry agreed with the findings of PUB's investigation and was 'satisfied that the response by PUB and the other agencies was consistent with the standing procedures.'

i thought it is always very interesting and entertaining to see how they twist and turn in their knotted knickers :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Singapore canals are too straight. Should follow nature, where water run off more quickly and forcefully by meandering through it's journey. So it means it will be less impeded by the Marina Barrage.

Probably too little too late now.

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
this is how u flip roti prata mah.
1st flip this way then flip the other way.
otherwise cannot be evenly done mah.:biggrin:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If everything follows by protocl and books, how to be a leader? Nature is the greatest test of leadership. If nature has brought rains to test if Lee Hsien Loong and Yacob is the best person for the job, they have failed miserably. One said flood is unavoidable, the other said it is a freaky event. So what kind of people are we talking here. We should believe in such devine answer and vote ouf PAP before castastrophe strike the people again. Already LHL said he will send 100000 more foreigners to conquer our soverign land. What more can he not done?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If everything follows by protocol and books, how to be a leader? Nature is the greatest test of leadership. If nature has brought rains to test if Lee Hsien Loong and Yacob is the best person for the job, they have failed miserably. One said flood is unavoidable, the other said it is a freaky event. So what kind of people are we talking here. We should believe in such devine answer and vote ouf PAP before castastrophe strike the people again. Already LHL said he will send 100000 more foreigners to conquer our soverign land. What more can he not done?

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought it is always very interesting and entertaining to see how they twist and turn in their knotted knickers :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Do men wear knickers? :p:p:p

Why are people blaming anyone for the flood problems? I thought we were a low lying nation who will be affected by the rising sea levels due to global warming? :rolleyes:

These are acts of Gods that people cannot anticipate, that's all.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a secret plan to turn Orchard into another reservoir la.

Yakult: Don't worry we are not charging for the water that goes into your homes and cars.

AssLoon: We want to open up more reservoirs. I just exchange our water rights for some land. You should be glad that we have several ready reservoirs in times of needs

Kan Wa Seng: Sorry........:(

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people blaming anyone for the flood problems? I thought we were a low lying nation who will be affected by the rising sea levels due to global warming? :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with sea levels. Notice that coastal areas don't flood. In fact, the Marina Barrage maintains a water level higher than sea level. Notice that all flooded areas are inland.

Dogsquare

Alfrescian
Loyal
The debris is a quick reply to public out cry then after careful study, the canal is the cause...then after canal were anlysed, it was too many underground tunnels, ducts, mrt lines etc....

Dogsquare

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with sea levels. Notice that coastal areas don't flood. In fact, the Marina Barrage maintains a water level higher than sea level. Notice that all flooded areas are inland.
Thomson flood..is mrt line under construction? Bukit Timah, I know the mrt circle line is under construction...

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oh I see. Then what should be done? :confused: I'm scared my school will get flooded too.

ruffles

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yaacob now admits that Stamford Canal is inadequate.. so were Singaporeans being lied to after the first flood?

Show us a picture of the debris PUB claimed!

jw5

Loyal
Nowadays, I never bother to watch or read them playing with their underwear.
I already know what they are made of.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Nowadays, I never bother to watch or read them playing with their underwear.
I already know what they are made of.

but have to give them some credits, you see... not easy for them to come up with fascinating ideas all the time... like how typhoons can bypass 2 countries and hitting our country from South China, then how the typhoon story ended up with a Sumatran squall or something... simply amazing :p:p:p