• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Opposition cannot seem to get civil servant votes

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was talking to my brother(who works in Mindef(no he is not a regular)), and he gave a valuable insight on why civil servants doesn't want to see ministerial pay go down.

The problem with all the opposition talk about lowering ministerial pay, they never seem to look at how it affects those lower in the ladder or how these pple might think.

I think the first job the opposition has to do is to address this to pacify the civil servants before they continue on their cause to lower ministerial pay

I kinda explained to my friend and brother today on why i support the idea of giving our MPs and ministers high pay. To prevent corruption is of course one of the reasons, but i had something else in mind. It's gotta to do with ranks and the salary of the lower ranked civil servants. I'm not too sure how other ministries work so i'll use the military model. Here's the ranking in descending order:

1) Minister of Defence ~ $1 mil per annum

2) Perm Sec for Defence

3) Chief of Defence

4) Chief of Army

5) Division Commander

6) Brigade Commander

7) Unit Commander (usually LTC) ~ $8-9k per month

8) S3 (usually Major) & M/SWO ~ $5-6k per month

9) Captain & 1/2WO ~ $3-4k per month

10) Lietanant and Sergeants ~ $2k per month

We all know that people at the top will always have higher pay then those at the bottom because of the amount of responsibility they have to bear. But the difference is always exponential, and i don't know how they compute it. Somehow it's the same way as how it's done in the corporate world. Take a look at the ranking and estimated pay of the lower rank officers. we really shouldn't make the pay of the top officers lower because those at the bottom will be affected the most. If the top's pay is lowered, it's pretty obvious that the pay for the bottom ones will also have to be lowered so that they don't get higher pay then those at the top. And if the top's pay is lowered, there'll be even more lower income earners in the country. And a lot will be public servants, which is ridiculous. Just imagine telling someone you're a commissioned army officer (LTA) but you're only getting 1k per month. That's why you end up becoming an Ah Long's runner.

Another thing i mentioned was that CEOs of banks earn around $10mil per annum, some might be even more. So think about this, is managing a bank more important or governing a country more important? Our highest paid civil servant, the president, is not even getting half the amount of most bank's CEO.

This is just what i think, and i can very well be wrong. Even though they are highly paid, the amount they are getting it's less than peanuts as compared to what they bring in every year. And the amount of stress they have to endure. Just take a look at PM you'll know what i mean.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Opposition cannot seem to get civil servant votes

Who says? My uncle is a civil servant, voted opposition last election. Get promoted in 2008 somemore :smile: Another uncle, also civil servant, voted for the opposition too.

This election, more civil servant will vote opposition because they now know their vote is secret.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay, same as rules are made by people.
Hence it can be changed anytime.
Why the oppostion target Minister pay?
Because they are obscenely overpaid, to the point that some are being viewed as Jia Liao Bee.
To put it bluntly, it is akin to raiding the spore reserves.
From the chart, you can already see the income disparity gap is very wide.
Some lower ranks appointment are still getting third world pay, as you can see.
It is time to narrow the gap.
Lowering the pay of the top doesn't mean you have to lower the pay of all the levels below as well.
In the private business sector, top management are known to take pay cut or forfeit their whatever shares or benefits
during bad times to help the company tide over, while the rest of the employees pay are retained.
The sacrifice of the top will be more than the bottom.

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who says? My uncle is a civil servant, voted opposition last election. Get promoted in 2008 somemore :smile: Another uncle, also civil servant, voted for the opposition too.

This election, more civil servant will vote opposition because they now know their vote is secret.

Another opposition Internet Brigade personnel here

Which party are you from? WP?

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
URGING CIVIL SERVANTS TO THINK CAREFULLY OF THEIR JOBS... their job is to SERVE THE PEOPLE... NOT SERVE THE GOVERNMENT... the GOVERNMENT IS TO SERVE THE PEOPLE, not the PEOPLE SERVING THE GOVERNMENT... So, whatever your political inclination, orientation, reflect over the decade, and think about it. VOTE FOR CHANGE, VOTE FOR OPPOSITION, LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD IN PARLIAMENT, LET THE PEOPLE WHO TRULY CARE, BE IN PARLIAMENT, let the CBL MPs RETIRE in GE2011!!!