• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why is Contact Singapore encouraging Singapore companies to recruit foreigners?

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is Contact Singapore encouraging Singapore companies to recruit foreigners?

PostDateIcon.png
April 13th, 2011 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions |
PostEditIcon.png
Edit

Contact Singapore recently released a press release in China announcing that it will be organizing the largest recruitment fair in Shanghai on 17 Apr. Contact Singapore is a Singapore Government organization formed by the Singapore Economic Development Board and Ministry of Manpower. It aims to attract “global talent” to work, invest and live in Singapore (www.contactsingapore.org.sg)

According to the press release, there will be a number of Singapore-based MNCs and Singapore local companies participating in the fair to provide “bountiful” job opportunities to the Chinese talents. Companies from three major industry sectors will be represented: electronics, finance and real estate. Some of the participating companies include: Panasonic Asia Pacific, MediaTek, UniConnect, DBS Bank, OCBC, UOB, Far East Organization and others. Over two hundred positions will be offered, including graduate trainee positions. At the recruitment fair, Contact Singapore will also be providing information regarding working and living in Singapore.

Now, after reading the PR, I would like to ask Contact Singapore a simple question. Is it that difficult to find 200 Singaporeans to fill those positions? Furthermore, in my view, it is even more puzzling to go overseas to recruit people for graduate trainee positions. Can’t our local fresh graduates fill these positions? I would imagine one would go abroad to find talents when they are not readily available locally. And finally, is the role of Contact Singapore still relevant given that Singapore is filled to its brim with foreigners these days? Even if we want to get real talents from abroad, wouldn’t that be the job for headhunting and HR companies?
Kojakbt
Source:
http://www.sh-zhaopinhui.com/news_info.php?id=400
http://www.contactsingapore.sg/cn/CareersSg/China/Apr2011

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
political reason maybe! china can only get stronger and beijing don't really regard spore as friend, all they want is our money. i am also curious that for the past week, everyday... there are news on china,good and bad! yuan is getting stronger as day goes by and manufacturing is getting expensive, i heard that even foxconn in shenzhen is shifting their plant to inner china where it is cheaper. a lot of chinese can't afford housing in shanghai, and shanghai is the place where all foreign investment come in. the workers there are exploited and paid much less than what they ought to get. adding on, i also feel that in some countries, corruption is good for them as they tend to be more efficient in that way. recently, I was told that there were shortages of maids coming from the philipines cos' of clamp down of corruption. is that true?

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
This has to be a most obtuse question.

Do you expect them to come to singapore and live on their savings? They come here for the jobs! Jobs which they could not find back home.

If Singapore companies recruit Singaporeans, then how will the foreigners have the jobs to enable them to come and enrich us with their presence?

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
in shanghai, there are more workers than entrepreneurs. there are abundant jobs for the office workers there due to lots of foreign investments. in other parts of china, entrepreneurs are more common. shanghainese are known to look down on their own from other parts of china. it's just like majority of sporeans see chinese no up.
the attraction to them is the pay scale here compare to china. a fresh grad major in business english is paid roughly around 2000+ rmb/month which work out to be SGD$400.

This has to be a most obtuse question.

Do you expect them to come to singapore and live on their savings? They come here for the jobs! Jobs which they could not find back home.

If Singapore companies recruit Singaporeans, then how will the foreigners have the jobs to enable them to come and enrich us with their presence?

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most probably had to do it due to very strong "persuasion" from the Chinese govt.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Now, after reading the PR, I would like to ask Contact Singapore a simple question. Is it that difficult to find 200 Singaporeans to fill those positions?

Finding 200 sinkies is easy. On the other hand, finding 200 TALENTED sinkies that are willing to work hard is extremely difficult.

That, in a nutshell, is the reason why most recruitment efforts are targeted at attracting foreigners these days.