• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and songs

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't it about time that we have our own complete versions of movies and songs that are based on our dialects? I think Singapore should promote this for us. I'm Hokkien and I prefer speaking Hokkien at home. I really hope that countries like Singapore and Taiwan would make an better effort to promote hokkien language movies, I mean if you look at Cantonese, they have their own versions of songs, movies, dramas even animation dubbed in Cantonese since the 1960's. Their Cantonese movies and songs are just as top quality and high budget as the mandarin one's. While Singapore is an country, should promote movies and songs based on the population of the nations. Singaporeans who are not even of Mandarin speaking origin are promoting Mandarin way too much.

It's rare finding Hokkien movies, but I did try on a few Taiwanese Hokkien movie, but sadly though, they tend to be of low budget and cheap quality, and 30% of time you would hear Mandarin mixing in with the Hokkien in the Taiwanese movies which annoys the hell out out of me. I wouldn't waste my time on Singaporean films, because they crap in my opinion. If you go to youtube you would find both mandarin and Cantonese having their own versions of everything with millions of views. Other dialects just sucks so bad on youtube or in any video website, and all they have is an few hundred to few thousand videos. I want to be entertained by my beloved Hokkien.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Re: Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and s

I want to be entertained by my beloved Hokkien.

bro,

me suggest watching 杨丽花, enjoy :smile::smile::smile:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iTCGd53OkhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and s

Why? Because LKY hated Chinese dialects, and promoted 华人华语.
Nothing wrong with learning Mandarin, but you should know that a unified language makes people easier to control.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

This state of affairs can be traced back to the seventies when the government, or more specifically, the Ministry of Culture (do we even need one?) DESTROYED OUR CULTURE and started calling Mandarin (Northerner's lingo?) our Mother Tongue. Not one person voiced any opposition.

Thanks to the softies in the citizenry, it has become so.

Look at the Chinese in Malaysia, they can speak Bahasa, English (as good or as bad as Singkies), Cantonese, Hokkien, and probably even one or two more provincial languages, including Mandarin.

Today, what is the market in Singapore for Teochew operas and Hokkien shows? Worthwhile?

Yet, the ST day in and day out sings praises for the gahmen and their myopic policies.

Cheers!

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's rare finding Hokkien movies, but I did try on a few Taiwanese Hokkien movie, but sadly though, they tend to be of low budget and cheap quality, and 30% of time you would hear Mandarin mixing in with the Hokkien in the Taiwanese movies which annoys the hell out out of me.

Taiwanese really speak like that. Hokkien laced with Mandarin words and vice versa.

we also same with some English words too.

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

I like Taiwanese Hokkien pop, even though I believe there quality is lower compared to Taiwanese Mandarin pop they are way better than the Singaporeans Hokkiens. There is this top quality Hokkien band called Chthonic, they even made it to international fame, and promotes Hokkien culture. My only problem is that they are sooo anti- Chinese and promotes Japanese, it's ironic that an country that promotes Hokkien it's one of the most anti-Chinese among all countries. I've seen the way Taiwanese people talk to Chinese, wether they are Hoklo, Hakka or Taiwanese mainlander, they all dislike Chinese but show deep love for the Japanese. They all hate and dislike Chinese people, they rather be brothers with the Japanese than with Chinese, check out this song, called Takasago Army. The Taiwanese people are still proud of the fact they served the Japanese imperial army.

CHTHONIC - TAKAO (Takasago Army)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UkowmQs30

"Taiwanese black metal band Chthonic has risen to international prominence due to their nationalistic, anti-Chinese music. "

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng likes "wah mng tee, wah mng tee...":biggrin:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why? Because LKY hated Chinese dialects, and promoted 华人华语.
Nothing wrong with learning Mandarin, but you should know that a unified language makes people easier to control.

Actually LKY hated Cantonese...but he promoted the Mandarin Campaign to abolish the others as well,,what a scum bag...anyway..Hokkein is damn crude...can never stand that dialect

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually LKY hated Cantonese...but he promoted the Mandarin Campaign to abolish the others as well,,what a scum bag...anyway..Hokkein is damn crude...can never stand that dialect

Are you kidding me? Hokkien sounds awesome. The Majority of people in Singapore are Hokkien, the official language in Singapore used to be Hokkien. What's mandarin? it's just an dialect influenced by mongol and manchus, with only 500 years of history. Also, what do you mean by LKY hated Cantonese? ( are you talking about the dialect or people?). I'm pretty sure promoting the Mandarin Campaign was not his only idea, I wouldn't blame everything on LKY.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Are you kidding me? Hokkien sounds awesome. The Majority of people in Singapore are Hokkien, the official language in Singapore used to be Hokkien. What's mandarin? it's just an dialect influenced by mongol and manchus, with only 500 years of history. Also, what do you mean by LKY hated Cantonese? ( are you talking about the dialect or people?). I'm pretty sure promoting the Mandarin Campaign was not his only idea, I wouldn't blame everything on LKY.

Hokkien language is crude and their songs are crap,,,and to me mandarin songs are also crap,,and yes there are more Hokkiens in Singapore,,and I am a half breed Hokkein, cant stand their songs..and i dont really like the relatives too,...so never visited them for years...only thing good [ or bad] is the Hokkein swearing...that one really power man...

To me LKY hates the dialect and the people,,,He is the Ah Tou,,so its his fault, blame his Kah Kias for what? One of the reasons I think is due to the influence of Cantonese shows etc,,and as 1 forumner said,,one language easier to control,,,in Malaysia,,the Chinese can speak many different dialects etc..I dont see that as an issue.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hokkien is best lah bro. What dialect can fight kan nin nah buay pua chee bye li lanjiao lang hor gao kan LOL

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hokkien is best lah bro. What dialect can fight kan nin nah buay pua chee bye li lanjiao lang hor gao kan LOL

Yes lah bro,,I already admitted that...Hokkein swearing is best,,super duper crude..in cantonese,...at most we curse the whole family and say Pok Kai Hum Kah Chan...that is the best canto can come up with not that crude..but still not nice

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hokkien language is crude and their songs are crap,,,and to me mandarin songs are also crap,,and yes there are more Hokkiens in Singapore,,and I am a half breed Hokkein, cant stand their songs..and i dont really like the relatives too,...so never visited them for years...only thing good [ or bad] is the Hokkein swearing...that one really power man...

Are you Ah Forve relative or clone LOL

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

cantonese sounds weird and ugly to me. the entity of canto sounds like massive swearing and cursing. very unattractive dialect.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

The day LKY dies things will change. I was lucky to be able to speak a few dialects fluently and it had helped me in by businesses when dealing with PRC suppliers. We had become really good friends just because as a 华侨 I can speak their dialects.

Fuck PAP

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The day LKY dies things will change. I was lucky to be able to speak a few dialects fluently and it had helped me in by businesses when dealing with PRC suppliers. We had become really good friends just because as a 华侨 I can speak their dialects.

Fuck PAP

Made a few frens in Vietnam because I can speak Cantonese ...dialects are important..eventhough I find Hokkein crude,,have to admit I am glad I can still speak abit and understand some too.....

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

HOKKIEN SOUNDS THE BEST, IT HAS AN MELODY SOUND TO IT.

Mandarin sounds gay and feminine, and was influenced and imposed by invaders
Hakka sounds like an poor village language, or like taking an dump in the toilet
Teochew sounds like an southeast asian language like Thai and Cambodian (ugly)
Wu sounds okay, it sounds a bit like Japanese but nothing special.
Cantonese sounds rude and of lack manners