• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why can't train in Thailand?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why can't they train closer to home? Wouldn't it be cheaper? Let MINDEF shows us the numbers.

i think its in the contract when they bought the tanks. some tanks will be there for training and we send the boys there to let the Germans train them. like how we bought the fighters plane and sent our pilots to USA to train. honestly i find it nothing wrong, we will learn more when we go there than to let them come here and expose to them how we wayang in our saf. :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think its in the contract when they bought the tanks. some tanks will be there for training and we send the boys there to let the Germans train them. like how we bought the fighters plane and sent our pilots to USA to train. honestly i find it nothing wrong, we will learn more when we go there than to let them come here and expose to them how we wayang in our saf. :biggrin:

MINDEF could have packaged training and use of the facilities in the deal. The beef I have is after the initial training deal, why does MINDEF need to continue with another deal? Surely, training in Thailand, Taiwan or even Australia would be cheaper than in Germany. Who knows? Let MINDEF justify to us how it is spending our tax dollars.

jw5

Loyal
MINDEF could have packaged training and use of the facilities in the deal. The beef I have is after the initial training deal, why does MINDEF need to continue with another deal? Surely, training in Thailand, Taiwan or even Australia would be cheaper than in Germany. Who knows? Let MINDEF justify to us how it is spending our tax dollars.

Mindef justify to Us?

Hahaha, my funny bone and my toes are all laughing, hahaha............... LOL LOL LOL ..........................

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand is for certain other units, not for armour. The terrain in Thailand is not suitable for armour training.

Hacksaw Jim

Alfrescian
Loyal
from my knowledge

armour goes to wallaby ( austrailia)
artillery goes to India, South africa ,new zealand
Infantry goes to brunei , taiwan , thailand

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, where we trained probably is decided more by whom we buy our ordnance and armour from. Leopard tanks go to Germany; modern aircraft fighters and navy go to U.S., Australia or NZ latter as part of 5 power defence force.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
what do u xpect when a trained surgeon is shafted in mindef?
not that he volunteered; but bcoz of the 3million carrot.
he took opportunities to holiday(visit)in disguise wherever saf grounds are.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Train?

train for fuck?

What are those Sinkie defending for?

Or rather who are those Sinkie defending for
LOLOLOL

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
from my knowledge

armour goes to wallaby ( austrailia)
artillery goes to India, South africa ,new zealand
Infantry goes to brunei , taiwan , thailand

Sappers you forgot about the sappers, they come here, Siam.

Driven passed them along Bangkok's outer ring road towards Motorway en route Sattahip's naval base where our LSTs are waiting for them. They'd probably just finished their exercise in Kanchanaburi. Was quite an awesome sight all more than 20 of them engineers amphibious water fording vehicle, even my partner in my car told me he was impressed. Was pretty proud of them Crocodiles of 35SCE seeing them in a foreign soil.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes brother. Just 2 days ago. All shaved botak. Looks like mono intake. Sleaguepunter will go crazy upon learning his beloved Armour becoming Ah Tiong land soon :biggrin:

no lah... why go crazy for that. i all for foreign born NSF to serve in combat vocation. just 5yrs ago, last ICT for the reservist cycle, saw many filipino served as rover driver at armour training centre, then already behsong that most AI platoons had only 10-15 riflemen each and my platoon the worst, section 2 disbanded and total dismount strength inclusive of PC and Sgts only 10. KNN, strength so pathetic yet ATC had so many foreign born NSFs choobolan around.

Anyway raiders, u still go reservist, u can see the armour troopers of today cannot compare to the troopers of yesteryear. ever since armour started to induct hokkien pengs, the standards of armour dropped a lot. i heard of a few stupid things that those 2-4 years reservist did from those ppl who were from my batch but transfer to the newly form reservist battalions because they deferred to many time previously. simple platoon battle course also can failed, make those 30yo+ uncles(my batch) sumulah until legs turn to jelly.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SAF increases armour training in Germany

AsiaOne
Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013

During his visit, Dr Ng was briefed on the conduct of the exercise and witnessed a successful bilateral live-firing involving the 2nd Company of the 48th Battalion of the Singapore Armoured Regiment and their German counterparts from the Bundeswehr's 33rd Panzer Battalion.

It will involve more than 1,300 armour personnel, 14 Leopard 2A4 Main Battle Tanks and 11 Bionix I Infantry Fighting Vehicles.

[email protected]

14 Leo2 and 11 BXs yet involve 1300 men!!!!

KNN, disinformation izzit as equipments only enough for 1 coy of tank and 1 coy of armour infantry. 1300 men, so the whole 48SAR went to krautsland, another armour infantry battalion also went.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sappers you forgot about the sappers, they come here, Siam.

Driven passed them along Bangkok's outer ring road towards Motorway en route Sattahip's naval base where our LSTs are waiting for them. They'd probably just finished their exercise in Kanchanaburi. Was quite an awesome sight all more than 20 of them engineers amphibious water fording vehicle, even my partner in my car told me he was impressed. Was pretty proud of them Crocodiles of 35SCE seeing them in a foreign soil.

your old unit? u must had ate the prata when it was 30 cents each at the coffeeshop which a short walk from the main gate.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any Armour guys reviewing this discussion thread?

Please enlighten me regarding how an armour battalion is organized compared to infantry battalion.

How many tanks are there in a platoon and a company, whereas there are 3 sections in a infantry platoon, 3 platoons plus support personnel (GPMG, 84 RR) in an infantry company during my NS days (1970's).

How many companies and tanks in an armour battalion? ORBAT?

Thank you.

old time, each company had 1 amx-13 platoon consisting of 4 AMXSM1 and 3 armour infantry platoons consisting of 3 Ultras(upgraded M113) or 3 Bionix each. if it the Ultra battalion, each AI platoon will have 2 40/50 weapon system M113s and 1 M113 which had OWS 25mm chain cannon weapon system. In BX battalon, it will be 2 25mm BX and 1 40/50BX. in case u dunno what 40/50 are, it the CIS 40mm AGL and the CIS 50HMG. btw, Ultras only have 1 rear mounted GPMG each which technically the section saw gunner suppose to carry when dismount from vehicle. for BX, there 1 coxial MG in the turret and 1 gpmg on the turret and 1 rear mounted gpmg.

same as the infantry platoon, an AI platoon also consist of 3 sections of 7 men each but there an addition of 3 drivers and 3 vehicle commanders(sgt). but there no GPMG team like infantry but instead, each section SAW2 gunner will dismount the pintle mounted GPMG at the rear of the vehicle and GPMG ammo will be carry by his section mates. that will give the AI platoon PC the maximium firepower of 3 GPMGs.

so old time, each AI company will had 4xSM1 tanks, 9xAPC/IFV, 1xM113/Bronco ambulance, 1xM113/IFV coy 2IC, 1xM113/IFV OC vehicle, 1xM113/IFV CSM(this one optional), 1xtonner CQ and 2xmotorbike bikee. the hq platoon led by CSM or coy 2IC will have the signal section and 2x84 teams.

each battlegroup (battalion) will have 3 AI companies, 1 support company (pioneer,mortar, scout) and 1 HQ company (tonner drivers, recovery and maintainence crew, POL tankers, quartermaster, medics etc etc...)

like i said, the above was during my time as currently armour threw many old doctrines out of the windows since SAF brought the Leo2 and retired the old AMX SM1s. currently AI battalions lost all its SM1 and only left the APCs/IFVs while Leo2 are use to form an all MBTs battalion 48SAR.

as can see from the article above, 14 Leo2 were involved which was used by 2nd company of 48SAR. a calculated guess would be 4 Leo2 each for each platoon and 3 platoons of Leo2 form a company. i know it only 12 Leo2 but let no forget the OC command Leo2 plus coy 2IC Leo2. that would add up to 14 Leo2. 2 Leo2 will form a team, machiam like fighter pilots, with 1 Leo2 act as wingmen to cover the ass of the other Leo2.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you, brother.

old time, each company had 1 amx-13 platoon consisting of 4 AMXSM1 and 3 armour infantry platoons consisting of 3 Ultras(upgraded M113) or 3 Bionix each. if it the Ultra battalion, each AI platoon will have 2 40/50 weapon system M113s and 1 M113 which had OWS 25mm chain cannon weapon system. In BX battalon, it will be 2 25mm BX and 1 40/50BX. in case u dunno what 40/50 are, it the CIS 40mm AGL and the CIS 50HMG. btw, Ultras only have 1 rear mounted GPMG each which technically the section saw gunner suppose to carry when dismount from vehicle. for BX, there 1 coxial MG in the turret and 1 gpmg on the turret and 1 rear mounted gpmg.

same as the infantry platoon, an AI platoon also consist of 3 sections of 7 men each but there an addition of 3 drivers and 3 vehicle commanders(sgt). but there no GPMG team like infantry but instead, each section SAW2 gunner will dismount the pintle mounted GPMG at the rear of the vehicle and GPMG ammo will be carry by his section mates. that will give the AI platoon PC the maximium firepower of 3 GPMGs.

so old time, each AI company will had 4xSM1 tanks, 9xAPC/IFV, 1xM113/Bronco ambulance, 1xM113/IFV coy 2IC, 1xM113/IFV OC vehicle, 1xM113/IFV CSM(this one optional), 1xtonner CQ and 2xmotorbike bikee. the hq platoon led by CSM or coy 2IC will have the signal section and 2x84 teams.

each battlegroup (battalion) will have 3 AI companies, 1 support company (pioneer,mortar, scout) and 1 HQ company (tonner drivers, recovery and maintainence crew, POL tankers, quartermaster, medics etc etc...)

like i said, the above was during my time as currently armour threw many old doctrines out of the windows since SAF brought the Leo2 and retired the old AMX SM1s. currently AI battalions lost all its SM1 and only left the APCs/IFVs while Leo2 are use to form an all MBTs battalion 48SAR.

as can see from the article above, 14 Leo2 were involved which was used by 2nd company of 48SAR. a calculated guess would be 4 Leo2 each for each platoon and 3 platoons of Leo2 form a company. i know it only 12 Leo2 but let no forget the OC command Leo2 plus coy 2IC Leo2. that would add up to 14 Leo2. 2 Leo2 will form a team, machiam like fighter pilots, with 1 Leo2 act as wingmen to cover the ass of the other Leo2.