• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who rides a roadie, hybrid or mountain bike here

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why are road bikes so expensive?i remember reading a article when cycling was not considered a avant garde sport or rich man's sport.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Driven by rising demand. The expensive ones are certainly of better quality, very tight QA and expensive components. You can get joy from Decathlon's Btwin 500 for $599. Aluminium alloy frame, carbon forks, etc.

The components after a point can be more expensive than most frames - gear, wheels, etc. There are folks out there whose wheels are more expensive than the bike.

https://www.decathlon.sg/cycling-sp...es/11723/btwin-road-bike-triban-500-cn-5.html

why are road bikes so expensive?i remember reading a article when cycling was not considered a avant garde sport or rich man's sport.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I suppose you use Strava segments and track performance? I do enjoy going for personal targets.

I'm unable to use Strava because there is nothing on my bike that measures any sort of parameter.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You reached the state of Nirvana of the Bike World long time ago. Some of us found religion much later. I remember my very first serious target years ago when I got into roadies - Nasi Lemak at Changi Point. Then I realised that man cannot live just on Nasi Lemak. Got my first basic odometer.

I'm unable to use Strava because there is nothing on my bike that measures any sort of parameter.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You reached the state of Nirvana of the Bike World long time ago. Some of us found religion much later. I remember my very first serious target years ago when I got into roadies - Nasi Lemak at Changi Point. Then I realised that man cannot live just on Nasi Lemak. Got my first basic odometer.

No heart rate monitor, no speedo, no GPS, no power meter, no nothing.

I bought myself a power meter a few years ago and it ruined my riding. I was constantly checking my power output and it was extremely distracting.

I removed all measuring devices from my bike and body and now just ride according to how I feel for the day.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Road bikes are not expensive. You can get a top quality bike for under $1000.

They only become expensive if you're concerned about the weight of the bike but most people shouldn't bother about this parameter as it only makes a significant difference if you're riding in mountainous terrain.

I always advise cyclists that if they want to lose 1 kg of weight it's far cheaper to get rid of it from around their tummies than to get a lighter bike.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Trek Madone 1.5 700. A perfectly decent bike for less than SGD1000. All you need to do is to upgrade the pedals.

3YBRAN5MAWA_zoom.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
More like you have completed your discovery stage and all the fun that came with it and now at comfortable stage with your bike.

It always good to push the boundaries and test your limits and these are helpful tools. Except for the power meter and I think the rest are able to track your milestones. Power meter more for the performance and elite cyclists who plan to handle Cat 2 to HC and the racers.

No heart rate monitor, no speedo, no GPS, no power meter, no nothing.

I bought myself a power meter a few years ago and it ruined my riding. I was constantly checking my power output and it was extremely distracting.

I removed all measuring devices from my bike and body and now just ride according to how I feel for the day.